Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old March 27th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #61
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrell
Has anyone read Terry Pratchett's Disc world series?
not me
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #62
gunnerk19
Bad Email Address

I've got a copy of the Star Wars "The Truce at Bakura" sitting in my dresser that I'm thinking of picking up again; That, and I'm hoping to find Alan Dean Foster's "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" soon as well...
gunnerk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #63
kitty
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
not me
I would reckonmend Terry pratchett's disk-world series.
It is very funny and entertaining.
I do not know if he is available in the states, but he is popular over here in England.
He even has a selection of childrens books.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #64
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
That's why people like Paul Verhoeven think that Heinlein was a fascist. He wasn't. He was a libertarian.

He was also a solipsist, IIRC. Anyone?

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #65
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrell
I would reckonmend Terry pratchett's disk-world series.
It is very funny and entertaining.
I do not know if he is available in the states, but he is popular over here in England.
He even has a selection of childrens books.
I keep meaning to read the books, as my best friend (who lives in England) loves them & we have very similar tastes. But, I just haven't found the time. They look like fun, though.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old March 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #66
kitty
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
I keep meaning to read the books, as my best friend (who lives in England) loves them & we have very similar tastes. But, I just haven't found the time. They look like fun, though.
I had to stop reading them in bed as my boyfriend kept getting irritiated by me laughing every few minutes.
Some just do not like u reading a better book than they are.
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #67
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default may discussion book

Our next sci-fi discussion group will be May 11, and the topic is the 2003 novel "Night of the Triffids," by Simon Clark. It's a sequel to the 1950s novel "Day of the Triffids," and picks up the story 25 years later. I've read only a few pages, so I can't give you a summary or anything.
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #68
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I just started reading Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton (I forgot to send my "No thank you" card into the SciFi Book Club again). I usually get impatient with books that take forever to get to the point because they are so busy building backstory. But, he weaves his backstory so well that you feel like this universe of the future is not only probable but also real. Lots of great characters, both male and female. I am only about 1/3 of the way through (I had to rake my lawn this weekend and 2 acres is a lot of leaves!) but can't wait to get home and pick it up again.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:44 PM   #69
Rowan
On Vacation...

Does Harry Potter count? I've just started the Order of the Phoenix (read all the others) I have one week to read all 766 pages I 'd better get craking although the young girls I saw interviewed for it's release had calculated it would take them 15 hrs to read it I figured it would take me 18 I'm a slow reader, I like to savour my books too much to spead read...
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:04 PM   #70
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Does Harry Potter count? I've just started the Order of the Phoenix (read all the others) I have one week to read all 766 pages I 'd better get craking although the young girls I saw interviewed for it's release had calculated it would take them 15 hrs to read it I figured it would take me 18 I'm a slow reader, I like to savour my books too much to spead read...
I read it in 9 hours, but I'm a super speed reader and I couldn't put it down. I then waited a few weeks and took my time to read it a second time. I absolutely love the series and can't wait for the next book.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:28 PM   #71
Rowan
On Vacation...

HOLY CRAP!!! 9 hours!! your good!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:35 PM   #72
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I dimly remember taking it into the bathroom with me, taking it outside with me when the dogs had to do their business, propping it open as I was cooking and eating, I was in a fog until I finished it, it was quite insane! Or maybe I was.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:07 PM   #73
Rowan
On Vacation...

those books have the same effect on me too, I become utterly obssessed! LOL!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:24 PM   #74
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

The movies are also enjoyable and I rarely like movies when I have fallen in love with the books first.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:42 PM   #75
Rowan
On Vacation...

Oh I loved the movies! I agree I usually don't if I've read the book first, but they did an excellent job!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:51 PM   #76
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

My sixteen year old cousin is absolutely in love with the boys who play the Beasley twins. She wants to come to England with me next year so she can find them and stare at them adoringly. Of course she could do that from a distance without shelling out about $1,000 but she's 16, what does she know about being rationally obsessed like the rest of us.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:00 PM   #77
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
My sixteen year old cousin is absolutely in love with the boys who play the Beasley twins. She wants to come to England with me next year so she can find them and stare at them adoringly. Of course she could do that from a distance without shelling out about $1,000 but she's 16, what does she know about being rationally obsessed like the rest of us.
LOL! uno... ah yes 16 I can still remember how that felt! I had such intense crushes on guys back then! Everything was so life and death! LOL! I'll never forget how I felt after going to see the Empire Strikes Back ...you see I was madly in love with Han Solo and after they put him in the carbon freezing I thought I had died, I'm not kidding I could hardly breath! I had no memeory of what happened after that I was in deep shock! I remember my parents guiding me out of the theater and to this day I can still recall the pattern of the carpet in the lobby because that is all I saw I have no memory of how we got home or anything that day was an utter blank to me I was utterly bereft! LOL! I was 16 yrs old!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:10 PM   #78
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Sixteen was "Willow" for me. Ah, Val Kilmer..................................

I'm sorry, what was I saying?

Old April 25th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #79
Rowan
On Vacation...

ok let's both shake our heads and clear them from our youful crushes! I do get easily distracted
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #80
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default this month's book discussion

This month's book for discussion at the local Borders store is a new children's book called "Summerland" by Michael Chabon. It's about a small island in Puget Sound that has a corner where it never rains during the summer.
But our group has a dilemma. We all suggested titles for the July through September, but the bookstore has discovered that it can no longer order them. Karen and I have learned that apparently publishers take sci-fi paperbacks out of print very quickly. We have a book for July, but the other titles we wanted are no longer available, including the Guy Gavriel Kay novel that one of you recommended a while back.
So, we need more suggestions! Hopefully, they will still be in print the next few months!
Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #81
gmd3d
Major

The books I am reading at the moment is ANTARES DAWN. by Michael McCollum
I have read them a number of times and have enjoyed them, there are 3 books

1.ANTARES DAWN
2.ANTARES PASSAGE
3.ANATRES VICTORY

When the supergiant star Antares exploded in 2512, the human colony on Alta found their pathway to the stars gone, isolating them from the rest of human space for more than a century. Then one day, a powerful warship materialized in the system without warning. Alarmed by the sudden appearance of such behemoth, the commanders of the Altan Space Navy dispatched one of their most powerful ships to investigate. What ASNS Discovery finds when they finally catch the intruder is a battered hulk manned by a dead crew.
That is disturbing news for the Altans. For the dead battleship could easily have defeated the whole of the Altan navy. If it could find Alta, then so could whoever it was that beat it. Something would have to be done.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM   #82
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto
This month's book for discussion at the local Borders store is a new children's book called "Summerland" by Michael Chabon. It's about a small island in Puget Sound that has a corner where it never rains during the summer.
But our group has a dilemma. We all suggested titles for the July through September, but the bookstore has discovered that it can no longer order them. Karen and I have learned that apparently publishers take sci-fi paperbacks out of print very quickly. We have a book for July, but the other titles we wanted are no longer available, including the Guy Gavriel Kay novel that one of you recommended a while back.
So, we need more suggestions! Hopefully, they will still be in print the next few months!
Mary
Hey Mary

That is a real shame about Guy Gavriel Kay, I loved his Fionavar tapestry (The wandering fire, the Darkest Road, and the Summer tree the individual names of the books that comprise the series) I would highly recomend anything by C.J.Cherryh, but especially her series about the Chanur, although you would have to read them in order to really enjoy it the first one is "the Pride of Chanur", lots and lots of space travel and space stations and adventure. (she won the hugo award for it) then there is "Downbelow station" (she also won an award for this one) "Tripoint" (Hugo award) and "Finity's end" all of these take place in the same universe, and are full of space travel and space stations and lots of high tension exciting adventure. Cyteen ( is another is an excellent read but no space travel, just very futuristic and takes place on a different planet also within the same universe as the others.(Hugo award for that one as well) I'm including C.J. Cherryhs web page there is a section in which she names authors and books she loved and recomends that might also give you some inspiration.

http://www.cherryh.com/www/menu.htm
Old January 8th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #83
Rowan
On Vacation...

*bump*
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #84
BRG
Warrior

Default Morpheus & Moriarty

I don't know if these count, but I've started working my way through Neil Gaiman's 'Sandman ' series of comic books. I have read the first 3 books- "Preludes & Nocturnes", "The Doll's House" and "Dream Country". I've got a week off work soon, so I'll go up to Glasgow and look for book 4.
They are very good books if you are into comics, although they are pretty dear at over £10 each!

As for "real" books, I have been reading Sherlock Holmes again for the past month. The BBC showed a lot of Holmes films over Xmas. And my wee brother, who is a soldier in London, went to the Sherlock Holmes museum in Baker St and bought me some nik-nacks to put in with my Xmas presant! So I've been right into The Great Detective lately!
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #85
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Just got finished reading Independence Day: Silent Zone yesterday, and now I'm back into the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron set as of last night.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #86
Alaric
Bad Email Address

Because I'm stupid and I left the book I'm currently working on in my dorm for winter break, I'm now going through the Dune series again. I finished Dune and Dune Messiah, and I'm almost done with Children of Dune. God, I love Frank Herbert.

Before that, I had just finished a series of books by Margret Weis. Great author, check her stuff out.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #87
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Margaret Weis the author of the Dragonlance series. I have read them all, great reading super adventure, I think i will give them a go again.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #88
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

What am I reading, eh?

Well, I don't read as much science fiction as I used to, but I was browsing the new paperbacks at Border Books. I found a new Trek book called "Ex Machina"

I stopped reading Trek fiction a long time ago, but when I read the premise on the back, it intrigued me. The story starts almost immediately after the events of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and their encounter with V'ger. It also involves the people of the world ship Yonada from the TOS episode "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky".

It's been an slow, but interesting read so far - one interesting aspect of the book is the exploration of some of the newer crew members of the refitted Enterprise and their feelings regarding the "death" of Will Decker at the end of TMP.

I like the fact that someone is exploring the years between TMP and "Wrath of Khan" for a change...

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #89
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel
Just got finished reading Independence Day: Silent Zone yesterday, and now I'm back into the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron set as of last night.
Thats nice but where are the DETAILS!!! did you like it ? was it well written? Do you recomend it? inquiring minds want to know!!! Shesh!!
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #90
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric
Because I'm stupid and I left the book I'm currently working on in my dorm for winter break, I'm now going through the Dune series again. I finished Dune and Dune Messiah, and I'm almost done with Children of Dune. God, I love Frank Herbert.

Before that, I had just finished a series of books by Margret Weis. Great author, check her stuff out.
Alaric have you read "Chapterhouse: Dune " yet?