Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old June 18th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #31
Senmut
Strike Leader

I kind of wish they'd brought Belloby back, just for mongs and grins.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #32
BRG
Warrior

Thumbs down *

Poor. Just 1 out of 5 for this one.

Apart from some laughs from Starbuck's predicament, and Belloby forcing Adama to woo her, this one is best forgotten. Althogh it was good to see Adama get involved for a change.
BRG

PS- Eric, I have another name for your James Bond list. Edward Mulhare , who played 'John' in the episode Experiment in Terra, had an uncredited part in You Only Live Twice , he played the British Diplomat who sat between the American & Soviet delegates in the opening scenes.
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #33
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default The Magnificent Warriors

The Magnificent Warriors

Original Airdate: November 12, 1978

Writer: Glen A. Larson.

Director: Christian I Nyby II.

Guest Cast: Brett Somers (Siress Belloby), Barry Nelson (Bogan), Eric Server (Dipper), Dennis Fimple (Duggy).

A Cylon attack destroys two colonial agroships and damages a third. Adama sends a team down to a nearby planet in search of new seed for crops. Once there, the Colonials come to the aid of the local inhabitants who are being terrorized by the pig-like Borays

Shooting this episode proved to be a difficult prospect for director Christian Nyby. One key sequence required that the Borays, mounted on camels, ride dramatically into town. Short on camels, the producers added horses galloping towards the back to add greater size to the charge. Cowboys, wearing pig masks were hired to ride the animals.

As Nyby explains, “These cowboys hated these camels. I remember we were having trouble getting them to charge because the horses were balking at the back. They didn’t like the smell of the camels. We did this charge down across the bridge. We had done it a couple of times and we finally got a good take but I had to do it again because one of the cowboys lost his pig mask as he came by. We all saw the mask go off, but he was trying so hard to be a good trooper about it that he had his faced all scrunched up like a pig because he didn’t want to do it again.”

“The lead Boray was actually a publicity agent that used to walk around the studio all the time,” recalls Nyby. “He just sort of had the look. He was an actor too and was always looking for a part so we brought him in and had a mask made for him. We had two or three masks that we could have in the foreground and then we had others of cheaper quality in the background.”

peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 04:49 PM   #34
dust
TOAN-er

Saw this ep today for the first time in years. God, it's bad! Siress Belloby was kinda funny but... the whole idea that one rich, powerful woman could get away with her behaviour was pretty silly. It doesn't really tie in with the more realistic approach in the pilot ep where Apollo breaks up Sire Uri's party and starts distributing all HIS food to the rest of the fleet despite his protests (and this is someone who's on the new Council Of twelve so is VERY powerful)

As an aside, I'd love to see the same initial Belloby/Adama scene with the new series Adama instead - he'd probably throw her out of the nearest airlock!!
dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #35
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up

As with either Battlestar Galactica, I just turn off my brain, and don't worry about plot points or what not.

I have only three words to describe "The Magnificent Warriors"

JUST PLAIN FUN!!!

Martok2112
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #36
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default lost in space dvd

I received the first half of season two of Lost in Space on DVD as a Christmas present (it was sort of a gag gift) and am finally having a chance to watch it. I've watched an episode almost every night the past few weeks and am really enjoying it. I probably haven't seen many of these episodes for almost 30 years!
So that was of course before BG aired, and I'd forgotten many details of LIS episodes. (If I'd remembered the details, I would have noticed them in BG.) Although I remembered the basic plots of "Curse of Cousin Smith" and "West of Mars" their finer points had escaped me. While watching the DVD, I noticed that a lot of the scenes and costumes from these two episodes were probably the inspiration for the sets and outfits of "Magnificent Warriors" and "The Long Patrol."
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 03:47 PM   #37
Croft2018
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG View Post
Poor. Just 1 out of 5 for this one.

Apart from some laughs from Starbuck's predicament, and Belloby forcing Adama to woo her, this one is best forgotten. Althogh it was good to see Adama get involved for a change.
BRG

PS- Eric, I have another name for your James Bond list. Edward Mulhare , who played 'John' in the episode Experiment in Terra, had an uncredited part in You Only Live Twice , he played the British Diplomat who sat between the American & Soviet delegates in the opening scenes.
Only 14 years late, but it’s not Mulhare in You Only Live Twice (1967) but Robin Bailey (1919-1999).
Croft2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 07:45 PM   #38
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: BG-06: The Magnificent Warriors

I didn't know who it was, but I know I should have said 14 years ago that indeed was most assuredly not Edward Mulhare. At the time, Mulhare was under contract to Fox with sizable roles in "Von Ryans Express" and "Our Man Flint" and this led to his getting the starring role in the TV series "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (which also had in the cast Siress Belloby's "Match Game" sidekick, the aforementioned Charles Nelson Reilly!)
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 09:04 PM   #39
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: BG-06: The Magnificent Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
I didn't know who it was, but I know I should have said 14 years ago that indeed was most assuredly not Edward Mulhare. At the time, Mulhare was under contract to Fox with sizable roles in "Von Ryans Express" and "Our Man Flint" and this led to his getting the starring role in the TV series "Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (which also had in the cast Siress Belloby's "Match Game" sidekick, the aforementioned Charles Nelson Reilly!)
Wasn't Hope Lange lucious?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote