Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old February 25th, 2004, 06:37 PM   #31
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDAGGIT73
**1/2

It's reasonably enjoyable stock western with a message about the line between non-violence and standing up for one's self...

Good point Wardaggit73!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #32
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Default Starbuck

Quote:
Our Starbuck is more complex than the Mini will lead this new generation to believe.
He was an Orphan, that was kinda taken in by Commander Adama and family. To his character this was his family! He would lay down his life for them, but he tried to keep his emotions hidden for fear of being rejected.
Thus we get the gambler, romeo side of Starbuck. This I fear is the only light that Moore will shine on his personality. What a complete loss! The Whole Idea of this makes me sick!!!
Enough about that.
The Lost Warrior was good in spirit, it showed how people can care about one another and refuse to let ones they care about become left behiend. You just don't give up on people that you truly care for.
Very well said, Amberstar. I've always felt that Starbuck and Apollo were like brothers. Your analysis of the 'rouge and gambler' side of Starbuck being a front to keep from bing hurt I like too. I've always wondered if his 'womanizing' was a reaction to his being an orphan.

One of the many failings about the new series for me is the "Look how progressive we are!! We took two of the male characters and made them WOMEN!!" Yeah, at the cost of the two most prominent female characters of the original series!! Anybody seen Athena or Cassiopeia?

I better quit before I start an anti-BG-03 rant...

Regards,

GA
Old February 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #33
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberstar
Our Starbuck is more complex than the Mini will lead this new generation to believe.
He was an Orphan, that was kinda taken in by Commander Adama and family. To his character this was his family! He would lay down his life for them, but he tried to keep his emotions hidden for fear of being rejected.
Thus we get the gambler, romeo side of Starbuck. This I fear is the only light that Moore will shine on his personality. What a complete loss! The Whole Idea of this makes me sick!!!
Enough about that.
The Lost Warrior was good in spirit, it showed how people can care about one another and refuse to let ones they care about become left behiend. You just don't give up on people that you truly care for.
Amberstar

Well said Amberstar ............I'm glad that you wrote this. Because it
shows the complexity of Starbuck's upbringing and WHY he was like
a brother to Apollo.
Old March 5th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #34
Antelope

I will return.

Each episode is a snap shot of a much longer journey. Maybe unknown to us upon Apollo's return he had a shuttle sent back to pick up Vela and Puppis. On the other hand it may have been a statement like MacArthur's "I shall return" to the people of the Phillipines in 1942. A statement he intended to keep. I am sure with the help of the 13th tribe Apollo may have believed the fleet would one day return.

Vela knew Apollo had a son and life back at the fleet. She wasn't happy with the danger that came with a warrior's life from her own words. She reached out to Apollo because in many ways he reminded her of her husband.

Even if Apollo sent a shuttle to pick them up I do not know that Vela would be happy or willing to exchange her farming life for life on the rag tag fleet. In the event such an event happened and they did return to the fleet I would question whether Vela would want to continue a relationship with Apollo. She would have a blended family with a kid who just lost his mother and a husband in a high risk military occupation.

All in all I think the two were brought together by a unique sequence of events but neither would want to continue the relationship after it was resolved. Unfortunately in any scenario Puppis was going to get emotionally hurt.
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #35
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
I will return.

Each episode is a snap shot of a much longer journey. Maybe unknown to us upon Apollo's return he had a shuttle sent back to pick up Vela and Puppis. On the other hand it may have been a statement like MacArthur's "I shall return" to the people of the Phillipines in 1942. A statement he intended to keep. I am sure with the help of the 13th tribe Apollo may have believed the fleet would one day return.

Vela knew Apollo had a son and life back at the fleet. She wasn't happy with the danger that came with a warrior's life from her own words. She reached out to Apollo because in many ways he reminded her of her husband.

Even if Apollo sent a shuttle to pick them up I do not know that Vela would be happy or willing to exchange her farming life for life on the rag tag fleet. In the event such an event happened and they did return to the fleet I would question whether Vela would want to continue a relationship with Apollo. She would have a blended family with a kid who just lost his mother and a husband in a high risk military occupation.

All in all I think the two were brought together by a unique sequence of events but neither would want to continue the relationship after it was resolved. Unfortunately in any scenario Puppis was going to get emotionally hurt.
You made some great points Antelope. Well said.
Old March 11th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #36
Aeneas
Warrior

My fave 1 hr ep. More later
Old March 13th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #37
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Thumbs up lost warrior

one of the worst shows of the lot only boxeys card game real earth food (jellybeans)and rex cutters cylon talking to apallo all these planets with out weapons close to home worlds wonder what happened to them all best line in show top ten wa allmost givin up on you buddy by starbuck wonder witch ship martin came from, launchcruiser hawkeye detecting cylon fighters coming towards fleet gotta go see you in the officers club after we blow up those tin heads wish us luck for the cylons
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:36 PM   #38
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I really liked this episode. I think Richard Hatch shined in this episode especially
with his interaction with the boy and his mother who he was staying with.

I also thought this was one of Lance LaGault's best performances EVER!
Old March 31st, 2004, 12:23 AM   #39
Senmut
Strike Leader

Call me dumb, or maybe sentimental...but I have always suspected that Apollo may have left more behind on Equellus with Vela than just memories.
BTW, does anyone know what it is that Red-Eye says, right before he and Apollo draw? I have replayed that part of the tape over and over, and cannot make it out.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 02:57 PM   #40
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default most melancholy episode

"The Lost Warrior" is the most melancholy of all the episodes--not sad, not depressing, just unhappy. Apollo is so obviously still in mourning and in shock at the sudden death of his wife that at times he seems a bit disoriented, or even that he feels nothing at all.
One of the things I always thought was wonderful about this series is that the writers made Apollo slowly recover from his mourning, and that it took him a yahren to do so, which I think is normal.

Mary
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:49 PM   #41
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
Call me dumb, or maybe sentimental...but I have always suspected that Apollo may have left more behind on Equellus with Vela than just memories.
I doubt that much since they never would have had the time to make that possible.

{QUOTE=Senmut]BTW, does anyone know what it is that Red-Eye says, right before he and Apollo draw? I have replayed that part of the tape over and over, and cannot make it out.[/QUOTE]

He says, "Uh oh!"
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:13 AM   #42
bsg1fan1975
Major

Another stand out episode of the series. It showed the depth of someone in mourning for the loss of a loved one and the camraderie of friends who were not willing to leave a friend behind and so they risk it all to find him.

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 03:53 PM   #43
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

There are two things that I think are weak about the episode overall.

#1-Apollo takes a long time to realize that there's no connection between Red-Eye and a larger force of Cylons. He should have realized that the instant he learned that Martin's death brought no more Cylons many yahrens before. One might argue that Apollo is still not quite himself after Serina's death, but either way Apollo ends up showing very bad judgment that arguably costs Bootes his life by not choosing to act sooner.

#2-I find it hard to believe that this planet is not familiar with the war against the Cylons. There's some indication that they're familiar with Colonial civilization, but that would mean that Equellas had to have been settled before the thousand yahren war broke out and they became isolated from where their ancestors came from before news of the war developed. Obviously if they were aware of the Cylons, you'd have no episode, but that point IMO works against the credibility of the episode, whereas "The Long Patrol" works better with a planet on the distant reaches of Colonial space that had become forgotten during the early stages of the war.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:14 PM   #44

Default he says ohno

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcruiser7
one of the worst shows of the lot only boxeys card game real earth food (jellybeans)and rex cutters cylon talking to apallo all these planets with out weapons close to home worlds wonder what happened to them all best line in show top ten wa allmost givin up on you buddy by starbuck wonder witch ship martin came from, launchcruiser hawkeye detecting cylon fighters coming towards fleet gotta go see you in the officers club after we blow up those tin heads wish us luck for the cylons
did apallo make it back
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:41 PM   #45
Bombadil

Sure, it was "Sci Fi Shane". But it tracked with the show's portrayal of a universe where good and evil mattered. Morality and ethics were fundamental to the program. Apollo did not ENJOY being a professional killer. Not like in the recent movie which I didn't see, with the "funny" line
"Will I have to kill anybody?"
"Do you WANT to?"
Or in Alice's Restaurant, where Arlo at the draft board pretends to be a deranged psychotic who wants to kill and maim people, and instead of being rejected as a nut case, he gets a medal from a general who says, "You're our kind of man."
Apollo is not Dirty Harry. He is Shane. And that was a good thing.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:11 PM   #46
Captain Morgan

Default nice hats!

I was dreading watching this 1 "space cowboys" are lame I thought.I have to
say this episode is very good,I was not expecting that!It's taken 3 stories and
I've come to really enjoy and care about all the characters in this show.At first
I started watching the DVD's to get some 70's cheeze and so far I just keep
getting more and more into the whole fighter-pilots in space thing (the Vipers
made the x-wings look like a joke,why didn't I notice that when I was a six years
old!)BSG is quickly replacing old Star Trek as my 2nd favorite Sci-Fi show.

Old April 29th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #47
Aeneas
Warrior

This one was always my favorite 1 hr. episode because it actually fleshed out the human drama as opposed to relying too heavily upon the technical/fx aspects of the show. Really, it kinda waxes on socio/political commentary: expousing the need for fathers(or some stability in families--Apollo playing "bigbrother/pseudostepdad to Puppis & Starbuck and Boomer filling in for Apollo with Boxey ) and the pros and cons of gun control(Vella and Apollo each losing a spouse to violence, Bootes' ultimate downfall due to his obsession with weapons/vengeance & Apollo ultimately having to due the "right thing" in order to remove a menace to the community.) Really good stuff!
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #48
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

My Take:

http://pp226.proboards25.com/index.c...814476&start=0
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #49
BRG
Warrior

LOL ***

3 ot of 5 this time.

This episode had two of the best laughs of the whole series. Starbuck & Blue Squadron playing pyramid for jelly beans, a downing fruit juice with Boxey was brilliant! Loved the "Your eating your bet" line!
The other was when Redeye, a Cylon warrior came riding up to the old west style homested with his armoured horse! One of the most bizaar sights in the history of TV.

But a good, enjoyable episode. The shoot out between Apollo & Redeye was an excellent climax. And there was some good emotional drama to go with the action & comedy. But I have to agree with the point made about Apollo letting Bootes die, surely it was obvious to Apollo that Redeye was the only Cylon on the planet? It did seem that he let Bootes die a needless death.
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #50
Senmut
Strike Leader

I wonder, since Viper patrols are always seen in pairs or larger groups, why is Apollo alone in this one? We don't see another Viper destroyed. Was Apollo acting irrationally here? Even suicidally depressed after Serina died, to be out alone?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #51
BRG
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
I wonder, since Viper patrols are always seen in pairs or larger groups, why is Apollo alone in this one? We don't see another Viper destroyed. Was Apollo acting irrationally here? Even suicidally depressed after Serina died, to be out alone?
Given Sheba's comments in 'The Hand of God', this may be true. The only other time I recall a single Viper mission was Starbuck in the next episode, but that was a special recon Viper.

One wee point. He was on a mission to lead the Cylons off the Galactica's trail, but no other pilot's knew this, in fact Boomer & Starbuck pleaded with Adama to go to his aid. So perhaps Adama wanted as few people as possible to know about the mission, only himself, Tigh, and Galactica's flight captain- Apollo. Maybe being senior ranked pilot ment ONLY Apollo coud go on this mission. Just another possibility!
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #52
Fragmentary

I got the feeling that Apollo was somehow cut off from his patrol, or actually leading the cylons away from the rest of the patrol.

There is a really nice touch scene when Vela takes out her husband’s warrior jacket. The crew went to the trouble of putting a different patch on the arm. That’s the kind of detail, that when they get it right you don’t really notice, but if they had just grabbed a jacket off the rack with Galactica’s insignia, it would have jumped off the screen as wrong. Can that patch offer any ideas to which Battlestar he came from?

The second thing that really jumped out at me was the scene were Cassiopea finds Boxey playing cards with the pilots. Laurette plays that scene so well. And the way she speaks to Boxey made me kind of wonder what it would have been like if she has been cast as Serina. She seemed very natural and maternal.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 08:41 PM   #53
Senmut
Strike Leader

Excellent points, BRG. If on ly five or six seconds of screen time had been devoted to this, alot would have been made clearer.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old March 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM   #54
AJMarks
Squadron Leader

This episode had one thing that actually had me scratching my head. Why was there a Cylon and a crashed Colonial warrior ship on that planet. I thought that they had gone though the void, and put some distance between themselves and the Colonies. This episode actually made me sit down and write a fanfiction story to tell where the Cylon and colonial warrior came from (Battlestar Argo).

Aside from that this was the first episode I ever saw and the gun battle at the end made huge impact on me. I still love that scene to this day.

You cannot go against nature, because when you do, that's part of nature too.
AJMarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #55
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarks
This episode had one thing that actually had me scratching my head. Why was there a Cylon and a crashed Colonial warrior ship on that planet. I thought that they had gone though the void, and put some distance between themselves and the Colonies. This episode actually made me sit down and write a fanfiction story to tell where the Cylon and colonial warrior came from (Battlestar Argo).

Aside from that this was the first episode I ever saw and the gun battle at the end made huge impact on me. I still love that scene to this day.

I always wished the trip through the void, and the finding of Kobol had come later, after the 'colonial outpost' stories. It would have been good to have a defined differenece in the kind of humans they found the 'other' side, in that they had developed without intimate knowledge of the 12 colonies.. Becos we weren't told the extent of teh Cylon empire, the Cylons being there never bothered me as much,
It reflects the writing on the fly that was going on, and the lack of a well planned sequence.

Still like the ep tho..for its homage to classic westerns as much as anything

Cheers
Lara
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #56
Lyra
Bad Email Address

WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG
3 ot of 5 this time.

This episode had two of the best laughs of the whole series. Starbuck & Blue Squadron playing pyramid for jelly beans, a downing fruit juice with Boxey was brilliant! Loved the "Your eating your bet" line!
The other was when Redeye, a Cylon warrior came riding up to the old west style homested with his armoured horse! One of the most bizaar sights in the history of TV.

But a good, enjoyable episode. The shoot out between Apollo & Redeye was an excellent climax. And there was some good emotional drama to go with the action & comedy. But I have to agree with the point made about Apollo letting Bootes die, surely it was obvious to Apollo that Redeye was the only Cylon on the planet? It did seem that he let Bootes die a needless death.
BRG

The "jelly bean" scene was indeed adorable! And the punchlines were agreeably humerous!!, but one thing I found hard to digest visually, is the aluminium ten gallon cowboy hats that Apollo doned, along with the resident locals! Yes, a trés bizarre sight!

Somehow I felt, the western style didn't quite fit in with the rest of this very advanced star system of civilization, whose otherwise everyday garb was a fashion inspired by ancient Greek, Eyptian, and of the ilk alike to our own great earthly ancient civilizations, whom also possessed highly advanced knowledge akin to the Galacticans.
Cowboy style pertains to another era, and perhaps beneath the Galactica's universal intellect of all the colonies.
Lyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #57
Wildcard

*EDIT*
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #58
Bandit82ABN
Bad Email Address

Default Re: BG-03: The Lost Warrior

Martin was not from the Pegasus. Colonial Warriors from the Pegasus wear this patch on their right sleeve:

If you look at his jacket, Martin has this patch:

10 or so yahrens ago, there was a Battlestar on patrol in that sector of space. They ran into Cylons and a huge battle erupted. The Battlestar is never named, but clearly it wasn't the Galactica or the Pegasus.

Martin acted foolishly. Apollo was correct in showing restraint. As viewers, we know Cylons travel in at least three's. A pilot, Co-pilot, and the Raider commander. So upon seeing Red-Eye, Apollo was wondering where the other two Cylons he didn't see were. It wasn't until the end, that Apollo gets the full picture, and knows Red-Eye is the only surviving Cylon, with the other two being destroyed. That and the fact the Cylon has no clue what he is, let alone a Colonial Warrior is, is why Apollo decides to confront him.

This was an awesome episode, in that it further adds backstory to the series. It is a shame they never mentioned the name of the Battlestar though. With everything Martin told Bootes, I'm sure that would have been included.

Respectfully to all,
Bandit
Bandit82ABN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM   #59
Senmut
Strike Leader

Does the patch on Martin's uniform match those of any of the others we saw in the pilot movie? There were a few there palying pyramid, from the other ships.
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #60
Bandit82ABN
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Does the patch on Martin's uniform match those of any of the others we saw in the pilot movie? There were a few there palying pyramid, from the other ships.
No. The pyramid game was being played by the Galactica's warriors. The screen shots of the bridge of the Atlantia, are too distant to see what patch they wore, before she was destroyed.

As for surviving warriors from the fleets destruction, while they did go to the Galactica, you never see them onscreen. They, like the Silver Spar squadron, get absorbed into the Galactica's two squadrons (Red and Blue).

Respectfully,
Bandit
Bandit82ABN is offline   Reply With Quote