Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 13th, 2002, 06:56 PM   #1
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default The Moore script, WHO IS READING IT & The Green eyed Monster

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/316690/4

1.)Comments about MF's BSG script review Date: 12/13/2002 From: Neuromanzr

Giving the script to Michael was a bad idea. It should have been sent to the editors of Filmjerk, AICN and Darkhorizons instead and their reviews requested. I have my doubts as to whether or not Michael could actually be objective about this script, becuase of everything he does that's pro-continuation, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I know his opinion won't matter to the pro-continuation crowd unless he denounces the script.

I highly doubt that a good script review will have any positive affect on the pro-continuation hardcores. If it's a good review many will doubt it as they did when Michael wrote that DeSanto's script was good though there were some changes that some fans might not like. Instead of waiting to see back then, they simply concentrated on the fact that Richard was not part of the cast and the mystery of what things they might not like about the script. To the pro-continuation hardcores a good review will simply mean that Michael has sold out or is too afraid to speak the truth.

If it's a 50-50 review he'll be accused of riding the fence and everything I wrote in the paragraph above will still apply.

If it's a bad review, then that will be the battle cry from then on until the mini-series airs and we all have a chance to judge for ourselves.

2.)Lemme ask you something, Neuro, Date: 12/13/2002 From: Filmjerk

What if we all (myself, Garth, Harry, Patrick from Corona, Nick or Smilin Jack Ruby at CHUD) had copies of the script and every single one of us came out in favor of Moore's re-interpretation? Would even one person from the pro-continuation side have a change of heart and give the show a chance?

3.)Filmjerk...Date: 12/13/2002 From: LordStarFyre1

Filmjerk (Mr. Havens, is it? I'm not sure of your name) Adversely, to your question. What if all the above had the script, and all found it very poor quality, would any of the Pro-Moore crowd change their minds? Would Folks like Treklord, and others who apparently (from their own admission) work with and for Moore stop trying to convince everyone that what we think we know about Galactica isn't what we think at all?

I do think Moore SHOULD allow the Folks you mentioned Read/Review this Script. I also think that if, as I suspect, you all find it severly lacking, Mr. Moore should do the right thing, and step asside.

I have been in this fight for Galactica for 24 years, so I have never blushed away from my very clear bias. I, like others I know, not only here on this board, but others, were there, on the set, and around Universal during the late 70's and early 80's. For me, I want to see Galactica continued, as it should be. The exisitng Galactica Universe as originally envisioned is more than big enough to move around in, it doesn't need re-imagining. If Moore wants his own canvas with which to work from, why doesn't he take a time period well in advance of the timeline we've already seen. Or, even better, one 100 years AFTER the timeline. He would be free to create his own vision, his own Characters, his own set of situations, and leave the timeline we, the fans of Continuation want to see furthered, alone, and unscathed.

What he's doing now is Unacceptable to anyone who is truly a fan of Galactica.

Filmjerk, do you know what one of my Key concerns AGAINST Ron Moore has been all along? Has any of the Pro-Moore crowd bothered to ask this? It's the FACT that Moore himself has admitted that he couldn't even be bothered to try and familiarize himself with Galactica, much beyond a single viewing of the pilot. Yet, at the same time, he wants us to believe him to be some sort of Expert on the subject.

I'm sorry if you consider the Pro-continuation crowd arrogant, and the Pro-Moore crowd to be as pure as the wind driven snow. However, we are fighting for something we Believe in, and after 24 years, settling for something that makes Galactica 1980 look like War and Peace just isn't anything we'll go quietly into the night for.

4.)To Filmjerk Date: 12/13/2002 From: Neuromanzr

If you were to give the script a good review I believe that those who were once in the wait and see mode, and went pro-continuation after reading your article, would probably switch back and judge for themselves when the series aired.

Unfortuantely it is also my belief that there will always be that group of pro-continuaters AKA Richard Hatch supporters that will never consider any new series good and will always protest. Quite simply, they want Richard Hatch.

They had settled for DeSanto's at the very end only because there was a possibility that Richard might come back if the mini-series went on to become a weekly series. If this series would have been made and Richard did not come back, you can bet that they'd be here protesting it all over again and blaming DeSanto, accusing him of not being ethical or whatever else they could think of.

You should see if you can get the script too! I'd be very interested in seeing what a non-hardcore has to say about it.

5.) Look WHO got THE script! Date: 12/13/2002 From: dvo47p

Neuromanzr thinks Ronald D. Moore was ‘not smart’ in giving Michael Faries his script, Moore must have a good reason for giving Faries his script. Filmjerk put himself, AICN & Garth, as the ones that should be doing the reviewing.

Both question Faries objectiveness, what about Ron D. Moore, by giving Faries (Richard Hatch’s pro bono webmaster) a first shot at his Battlestar Galactica, a ‘Naturalistic Science Fiction’ script, apparently first.

I am oh so very curious why Ronald D. Moore did this?

Moore must be very confident or running very scared. Is DeSantos coming back, something does seem amiss, with 'who' gets to read the script. Is Moore trying to convert the continuation leader? Who knows, but I am waiting like everybody else. (unless Michael sends me a copy, ya got my address old buddy)

I bet Harry and Patrick had inside dope on this script, before Faries.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 08:07 PM   #2
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

FYI: I never said Ronald D. Moore gave me the script, nor did Neuromanzr.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 08:31 PM   #3
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default The above was taken word 4 word from Scifi's bboard, unedited

Nor did dvo47p say Moore gave 'a' script to Michael Faries.

BUT DO 'Neuromancer' or 'filmjerk' THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE IT, OH NO.......

Neuromancer quote:
"Giving the script to Michael was a bad idea. It should have been sent to the editors of Filmjerk, AICN and Darkhorizons instead and their reviews requested. I have my doubts as to whether or not Michael could actually be objective about this script, becuase of everything he does that's pro-continuation, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt since I know his opinion won't matter to the pro-continuation crowd unless he denounces the script."

Let 'em stew, post you review @ bsg.com, I love it...."bad idea"

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
FYI: I never said Ronald D. Moore gave me the script, nor did Neuromanzr.
Michael
:colwar:
I just like to watch 'em get 'JEALOUS', filmjerk, AICN, Dark Horizens and Coming Attractions, should have it not that michaelfaries, fellow. He's not objective, or he will fence sit, hardcore continuation fans will lynch him if he 'sells out' and likes Moore's script, whatever.

You know you could like it, you are an objective fellow.

Ps. RGrant has a cool letter in 'The Science Fiction Weekly'.
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/current/letters.html

Last edited by dvo47p; December 13th, 2002 at 08:46 PM..
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:23 PM   #4
LucianG
Warrior

Just lost another one of those "quick replies" by accidently pressing on the reply instead of submit icon. I can't seem to learn. What's quick about them when you have to type it twice? Anyway....

Great job, Ray. Good letter that makes sense. If only TPTB would read our letters.

Regarding the script, Michael will read it objectively and report, and then we'll know, too. Of course, I disagree with the critics reviewing movies half the time! As for the jealous ones who didn't get it first, just let them stew.

Tony
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:34 PM   #5
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I believe Michael will give us an honest review.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:53 PM   #6
vmnjn
Bad Email Address

Default Who's Got the Script?

Script? There's a script?

Sorry couldn't help it.

While Moore providing a script for review might be nice I am not sure what that would change. Scripts go thru alot of "revisions" even after production starts. A script can be misleading when compared to the finished product.

I am not a movie bizz person so I probably have the wrong idea, but wouldn't it be better to screen the unedited product and then finish it? I'm still worried about a reinvention but I want some sort of BG to be done. I will reserve final judgement until after I see the finished product. No offense intended, but my skewed view of life often makes reviews pointless in deciding whether I will like something or not. Thank gawd for Blockbuster and the five-day rental.
vmnjn is offline   Reply With Quote