Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old December 28th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default I guess I'm going to see how good Amazon really is!

I finally succumbed to modern technology. I bought a dvd/vcr player!

Sony description

I normaly am very nervous about buying electronic products online. I've never done this before. But there is always a first time! The player looks pretty decent. Nothing overly fancy, but it can play dvds, vhs, and svcds too!

I ordered it at amazon for $155, no tax, and free shipping. Should arive in ten days.

It will be my treat to myself for working like a dog through Christmas while everyone was having fun.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #2
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Hey, if you can't treat yourself.

Peter
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:27 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thomas, that's great! You should definitely treat yourself now and again - that's a great way to feel good about all those hours working so hard.

For sure, /don't/ feel nervous about buying electronics online. I /always/ buy them online, and before the net I used mail order. You will be amazed how much money you will save. The thing about buying mail order or by internet is the descriptions really aren't enough to make an informed decision. So what I have always done is shop at real stores til I find the make and model I want, then locate it on the net and save beaucoup bucks! Also, you can easily research models on the net for reviews and opinions to be certain you're getting the best.

I researched my Sony camcorder at Circuit City, etc so I could see it in person - but it was $900 there. I got it online for $600. And I saved over $1000 on my home theatre by simply shopping online after I found what I wanted.

Also, sometimes just telling a salesman you found it cheaper elsewhere will often get you a big discount.

Enjoy!

P.S. Try and hook your DVD up for the best picture and sound possible. It really makes all the difference. (E.g. component video instead of RF, and by optical thru an a/v receiver for audio).
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #4
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

WOOHOO!!

Tom,

I'm happy to hear it! You've been working like a daggit both here and in real life. Time to kick back and enjoy.

Have a few of these:

(just don't drive afterwards )
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

LOL! No DUI for me! I don't want no MAD moms against me. Nonono

Thanks, Muffit. That makes me feel much better. I figure amazon should be pretty good about ensuring an intact delivery. I don't have any fancy hookups on my tv set. Mostly I just rely on moving the video cable aaway from the power cord to keep the signal clean. That seems to work.

My vcr is current soooo old! I bought it back in 1989! It was such a great vcr. It was one of those great deals where it had alot of features but was at a nifty price for its day, $600. She was a hi-fi, SVHS sleek black model. And she had frame by frame forward and reverse with perfect capture of the frames. Plus she had a jog shuttle so you could spin the dial and go forward or back proportional to the speed you spin the dial. Just like a professional 3/4 inch deck. She served me faithfully for 14 years, only ate one tape, and only needed a few head cleanings now and then.

But now she's old, she groans everytime, and she ate two more tapes. I'm scared to use her now! Sometimes she refuses to work. God.... I feel like I'm putting a faithful pet to sleep!

Old December 28th, 2003, 03:27 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

btw, this is my first dvd player. Before I played them on my pc or on my playstation.

Old December 28th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thomas you made an excellent choice. I love Sony products. My DVD player, PS2, and computer are all from SONY.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:13 PM   #8
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Yup. Sony has great quality. Sometimes they aren't the current best, but they always strive to be the best so you know you will get a good product.

My grandma bought me a tv set in in the mid 70s and I remember using it in 1990. The picture tube was always good. Eventually the channel selector gave out from wear and tear.

PS2 though is showing signs of old age. Which is sad cause I only have THREE GAMES! FFX, GT3, and MGS2. its one of the first PS2s though.

Old December 28th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #9
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default DVD/TV Connections

Tom -

You might want to check out the back of your TV before your new unit arrives... Does it have RCA jacks (3 connections), does it have S-Video, or does it have a coaxial jack? I had to learn the hard way when I bought my DVD player a few years ago. My tv was only a couple of years old, but only had a coaxial cable jack - if your is the same, you will have to buy an RF converter (about 15-30 buck) to convert the signal and allow for the connection discrepancy. If you have S-video or RCA jacks on the back of your TV, you may just have to buy the appropriate cable type to make the connection.

I hope you enjoy your new player - they are getting so inexpensive and have so many goodies for the price, it's hard not to pass up on one. I like the combo unit idea - I would get one myself just to save component space, but both my VHS & DVD units are working so well, I just couldn't justify buying a new one....

Let us know when you get it!

Best,
Bryan
________
DEPAKOTE PREGNANCY
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:47 PM   #10
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thanks Bryan!

I think it will be fine. I got a relatively new tv with some nice features. . I bought sony just cause I figure if you build me something that lasts a decade and a half, than I'm more than happy to buy from you again if you are anywhere near competitive.

Though I'm learning the vhs may sadly be going the way of beta vcr. It looks like soon it will be dvd recordables and those units that record straight to memory. I mean its starting to get awkward to buy a vhs tape. Everything is dvd now.

i guess we are the vhs generation. Vhs came in when most of us were kids. And when we are old, vhs will be gone.

But it was good while it lasted.