Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 24th, 2003, 02:56 PM   #1
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Today is a sad day

First we start the day at SCIFI.COM with a mysterious post from a MartianHighCouncil:
=========
http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...1/5/531/319249

Statement from Mars

Date: 02/24/2003

Dear all fans of Galactica,

There is genuine attempt to mislead the fans about the current production underway. Their motives are to ensure monetary compensation from the people they represent who favor a continuation project. Their goal is not a quality production that Mars is capable of producing. Mars has produced projects such as "Taken" and "Dune" with quality and substance in mind. Those very same principles apply to the current “Battlestar Galactica” production where many Martians have every intention of bringing it to life with the goal of reaching out to broadest group of Galactica fans.

To the very vocal minority that support a continuation with the original cast members, your words have been heard and your ideas have been tested. The idea to disregard a continuation was not an easy one. Many considerations were given to test the waters for continuation in the realm of print media in the 90s to the present. All of which under performed against its peers, even with a much publicize Trailer for continuation.

To the silent majority that realizes the values of the current production, your voices have been heard as well. Market research has shown that the current production appeals to a much larger potential audience. Over the last three weeks your letters of support have outnumbered the letters of opposition by a wide margin. With this current trend, we are working even harder to live up to your expectations.

In March, which is the month of Mars, you will be hearing more exciting news about the current production. Please continue to inspire us with your kind words over the next few months. This is a very exciting time to be a fan of “Battlestar Galactica.”

-David
========
At first many debunked him as fraud then all of the sudden what he said is reiterated by Ron Moore.
===========

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

By Ronald D. Moore

February 24, 2003

Here lies a slumbering giant, its name known to many, its voice remembered by but a few. For a brief moment, it strode the Earth, telling tall tales of things that never were, then stumbled over a rating point and fell into a deep sleep.

I think there's life in that old giant. But I think that just poking him with a stick and expecting him to leap to his feet and resume his journey as if no time had passed would serve only to hasten his final death throes. He needs a makeover. Especially that '70s hair.

So we've set out to bring the old boy back to life and give him a new look and a new outlook on life. And we're going to ask him to tell his stories again, from the beginning. Tell them again, but this time go deeper. See, we were young once and when the old guy spun his tales of Apollo and Starbuck, we were satisfied with clear-cut heroes and nakedly evil villains. But we're older now. We've eaten a lot of popcorn over the years. We're ready for a bigger meal. Make the story more complicated. Make the people less black and white. Challenge us, provoke us, grab us by the throat with those massive hands and dare us to invest ourselves in flawed characters who face ambiguous choices in an imperfect world. Dare us to root for heroes with all-too-human weaknesses. See if we'll still embrace them if they fall prey to their imperfections.

Ask us to care for human beings instead of caricatures.

"Our goal is nothing less than the reinvention of the science-fiction television series."

With those words leading the way, I turned in the final draft of Battlestar Galactica. Bold words, perhaps. Arrogant even. But they accurately describe the ambition driving this project:

We believe you can explore adult themes with adult characters and still tell a ripping good yarn.

We believe that to portray human beings as flawed creations does not weaken them, it strengthens them.

We believe that bringing realism to science fiction is neither contradictory nor a fool's errand.

We believe that science fiction provides an opportunity to explore our own society, to provoke debate and to challenge our perceptions of ourselves and our fellow Man.

We believe science fiction can still be relevant.

We believe all these things and more.

If you agree with us, then this is the show for you. If not, then thanks for coming, but the popcorn is in a different aisle.

Over the course of the next year, this site will bring you news and updates on the Battlestar Galactica miniseries as it is shot and produced. Our aim is to provide you with unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to photos, storyboards, early story outlines, script pages, conceptual artwork, interviews, live Webcasts from the set, even preliminary cuts of scenes. You'll get to see things that are normally kept under tight lock and key — we're going to do this in an open, inclusive way. Let you see the process. See the mistakes and hopefully see the triumphs as well.

Stick around, it's going to be a helluva ride.

Ronald D. Moore
Executive Producer / Screenwriter
=============
This is truly a sad day for Continuation.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #2
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

It ain't over yet. I see rays of golden, radiant sunshine peeking through those silver-lined clouds.

:sunshi:

It doesn't mean the clouds are gone or going away. It means additional light will be cast on happenings sometime soon. (I know, I know: It's always "coming soon". I wish the timeline were frozen so things could be said publicly. Folks at the networks/studios are having to be tight-lipped at the moment.)

Keep the Faith,
Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #3
Rhade
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Today is a sad day

I think an exciting new development like this is worthy of its own commercial to herald in the news. My humble submission:

Quote:
Yes, it’s good news for Galactica-haters everywhere!

Today SciFi.com unveiled their official NuGalactica homepage, complete with a special pep talk from the Big Kahuna, Ronald D. Moore himself. You won't want to miss it!

Be sure to join Ron as he ridicules the original. Snicker at his witty one-liners such as:
"He needs a makeover. Especially that '70s hair."

*recorded laughs*

Nod your head in agreement as Ron waxes on about how empty and shallow the original BSG characters were, before he finally throws down the gauntlet:
"Ask us to care for human beings instead of caricatures."

*recorded cheers*

Bear solemn witness to the greatness that is Ron and let your eyes widen in awe as Ron extols all the wonders he will accomplish with this series:
"Our goal is nothing less than the reinvention of the science-fiction television series."

*Random Person: "Yeah, more like Star Trek!"*

And marvel as Ron continues to put on a clinic in sophistry, reiterating:
"We believe..."
"We believe..."
"We believe..."

...ad nauseum!

Soon, you will be a believer too!

But most of all remember -- and this is absolutely essential -- do not for a moment engage in critical thinking and ask yourselves exactly why swapping the characters’ genders, reducing the Cylons to silly manmade terminator clones, and installing Janeway in command is necessary to accomplish any of this! Shhhh!

Just nod your head and enjoy!
Rhade
Rhade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

New link for original BSG homepage on Scifi's site
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/classic/

ain't that sweet: we are now "classic" in their eyes. Don't be standing downwind from that fan, is all I can say.

And write, yes, AGAIN. Mr. Diller. AGAIN. Everyone. Please. Support the original being kept intact and say your piece: prequel/sidestory ideas may still help, but say your piece.

Michael, I just got your drift, maybe. It is sunshine isn't it? Moore is in for a h*lluva ride. Me, I'm getting a lift from one of those planes that checks out hurricanes.

Last edited by jewels; February 24th, 2003 at 05:37 PM..
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
It ain't over yet. I see rays of golden, radiant sunshine peeking through those silver-lined clouds.

Keep the Faith,
Michael
I will let you be my ray of hope in this dark time, Michael. When dark clouds overpower us, I'm thankful for people like you who remind us the sun is still there, somewhere.

There is nothing so beautiful as the moment shafts of light pierce a barrier of clouds...

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #6
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Maybe he *did*, until that last love letter by RM.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #7
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Warrior

I never said I loved his script, I only said to give it a chance when only the outline was available. Also I was sticking up for Havoc315 who was of the minority opinion. Only recently after reading the actual script did I realize it was crap. However, that does not mean I won't defend anyone else who gets disrespected.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries

It doesn't mean the clouds are gone or going away. It means additional light will be cast on happenings sometime soon. (I know, I know: It's always "coming soon". I wish the timeline were frozen so things could be said publicly. Folks at the networks/studios are having to be tight-lipped at the moment.)

Keep the Faith,
Michael
Michael, please don't take this as a slap or a slam, but as a sincere request from a BG fan who is VERY tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.

You, and a few others, have told us time and time again "Don't give up! Hold on! It ain't over yet!" You tell us things are happening behind the scenes that may slow or stop the remake juggernaut, but it's always something the details of which "can't be discussed yet". And the remake marches on and on.

PLEASE, if you have real, verifyable news of something to give us hope that the remake may yet be done in, then TELL US. Tell us what is being said, and who is saying it. Give us sources. Otherwise, let us go back to watching the old eps and dreaming of what might have been.

Again, I don't mean this as taking a shot at you. I, for one, just can't keep from thinking that it looks like the remake is a done deal. If it was going to be shot down, it would have by now, wouldn't it? I just want to know what the frak is going on...
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:10 AM   #9
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

It isn't a done deal. YET. The mailroom at Universal is still counting letters. They matter: read Korn Fan's Act Fast post. bumping it again now.
Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #10
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Still can't see the fat lady.

Peter
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #11
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
I think... with all the crap they've given us fans, we *should* blow the whistle on their "secret information"...

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

And right now, the new BSG is cold, not hot like they think.
Damn well said, Darrell. Damn well said. In due time.

Michael
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:25 PM   #12
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally posted by darkwing_duck1a
PLEASE, if you have real, verifyable news of something to give us hope that the remake may yet be done in, then TELL US. Tell us what is being said, and who is saying it. Give us sources. Otherwise, let us go back to watching the old eps and dreaming of what might have been.
If I give you sources, then I might condemn those folks to potential umemployment, for starters. Legal actions have been threatened against some folks, particularly last year. I've even heard the term "corporate espionage" bandied about for leaks. This isn't a game. I've made my case time and again for why I cannot -- and will not -- cite specific sources or actual specifics.

Fans want information; they feel entitled. I understand that. I'd feel frustrated as well when I see general/generic posts without the "meat" -- and I, as a bystanding fan, am asked to embrace it wholeheartedly. Frankly, I think I'd be resentful that information was being withheld. Like I said, though: This isn't a game. Careers are on the line; some people aren't playing fair behind the scenes; others are caught in the maelstrom.

Y'know, I still haven't cited who gave me the remake script last November, but all of you believed that I had it (and my review was testimony to it). I told that person I wouldn't divulge publicly who they were. And frankly I have NO reason to hide the person's identity, but I'm respecting our agreement.

Skip my posts if you want. In your position, I'd rather hear something than nothing. Rumors have an ugly way of becoming reality via speculation. At minimum, some of these scraps are hopefully preventing that.

No hard feelings,
Michael
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:31 PM   #13
michaelfaries
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

Quote:
Originally posted by darkwing_duck1a
(...) I, for one, just can't keep from thinking that it looks like the remake is a done deal. If it was going to be shot down, it would have by now, wouldn't it?
Nope. May I remind that another Ronald D. Moore TV production, "Dragonriders of Pern," was closed mere days before principle photography began. That's not the basis for my argument, just an example.

The allocated BG remake production dollars have been almost entirely spent; they're pushing ahead. But filming and production has been delayed again. It doesn't mean it's over, or that the remake is doomed. It just means they're proceeding while some new decision makings/considerations are underway by others.

Michael
Old February 25th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #14
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Man what a distant web we weave mister Moore. Spiderman?

To all of us that are sick and tired of waiting bear in mind sometimes waiting a little bit longer and having that certain level of patience can truely pay off. Life is good on the other side, just hang on.

I know i know, we've been hanging for far too long but as my neighbor the Klingon said to me just the other day, it will be glorious.

*tangle tangle*. Damn this web!
Titon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #15
JeffVarnes
Bad Email Address

Default Michael Faries how can I help?

Hello,

I just stumbled across here... well quite a few Battlestar Galactica sites actually

I got re-interested in BG when Sci-Fi just recently ran the old series for a few days. It was great stuff and brought back a lot of fond memories. I'm a 30-something guy so I was about 10 when I watched this show love on TV (along with The Bionic Man, Underdog, Greatest American Hero and a slew of other late 70's early 80's shows

I was raised on a corn-fed diet of Micronauts, Showgun Warriors, and Godzilla so Battlestar Galactica was my boyhood cup of tea... my Spider man tossed yarn nets over bad guys and my Batman walked sideways on an apartment building where Don Knotts or some other star would stick his head out the window and say hey

Anyway I'm not a "fan-atic" or whatever... I've never been to a convention... I don't own any Galactica merchandise rights now ... I did have some toys when I was a kid, some comics when I was a teen, and a "war game" by Fasa as early as 10 years ago. I *might* have an old taping of Starbuck Returns in one of my boxes of delapedated VHS tapes lol!

Basically I'm your middle aged, average American guy with a wife and 2 kids that occasionally surfs through Sci-Fi channel to see what fun stuff there is to watch.

From everything I've read I don't like the sounds of this Battlestar "remake" thing at all... call me old fashioned by why remake something??? They never "remade" Star Wars, Star Trek, or ET... I just don't get it. Anyway if they were going to remake it then why all of this sillyness - gratuitous sex, "human" looking cylons, and changing characters around? This doesn't sound like a show I want my kids watching... and it surely doesn't interest me either. It just sounds liek a cheap rip off of other movies and shows.

There's a lot of sci-fi shows now that are just too... adult. I seen shows like Lexx and Farscape and I don't care for them... too much sex and torture type stuff (sorry if you like those shows). Whatever happened to just good clean fun? Kids and Families loved Star Wars because it was accessable to everyone. I liked the family programming that sci-fi used to focus on like Sliders, Qauantam Leap, etc. Now everything has to be "dark and dreary" and "gritty and realistic" *sigh*

Anyway I think that maybe a lot of people feel like I do, but they don't know enough about what is going on to be able to voice an opinion. I'm slightly "internet savy" so I was able to find sites like this one and Richard Hatch's site and so forth. I was able to read some of that early draft script and I thought it stunk... I'll bet a lot of other people would too.

So how can somebody like me help you all (when apparently sci-fi thinks your a bunch of loonies! lol

I feel like I'm a pretty typical viewer of thier station and they never asked me my opinion that is for sure!?! PS - hey studio executives if you see this give me an email or call. I'll be happy to fill out one of your surveys!

Jeff Varnes
jvarnes@tampabay.rr.com
Living it up in Sunny Central Florida
JeffVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM   #16
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Welcome to Colonial Fleets JeffVarnes!!! You'll find almost everyone agrees with you too. It is so painful to many of us to have fought so long and hard for a continuation of the series, with the same values and characters, then to have this horrid remake appear.

Anyway, many welcomes! You'll find the folks here very friendly and many of the threads really fun too .

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #17
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Welcome as well Jeff
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #18
newt
Warrior

Welcome Jeff...you might want to look at th eSciFi channel's Battlestar page (www.scifi.com/battlestar). Check out Ron Moore's letter; I'd be interested in your reaction to it, as a fan of the classic wo just has begun to learn about the long, sad road. BTW, this time a year ago, a different production was in the works; one that continued the series. It was yanked in a most unprofessional manner.

It's a sad time to be a Galactica fan...
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #19
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

Default Welcome, Jeff

Have you read the new Micronauts comic series from Devil's Due yet? I have all the current issues as well as issues of the original Marvel run. I also have a couple of the original Mego figures and a couple of the re-released figures from Palisades' Toys. Sorry to get onto this "Micro-topic". It's always cool to hear from someone else who grew up with The Micronauts.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 05:43 AM   #20
JeffVarnes
Bad Email Address

Default Thanks all

Thanks everybody for the kind welcome words. You seem like a nice bunch of folks here.

I don't imagine I will post much here... I just sort of found this place and posted out of frustration and anger with Universal's decision to remake this show. In retrospect I *should* have posted at the scifi.com bulletin board, but they don't seem to be paying much attention to folks over there either.

I decided to just write a letter to Universal and I am asking some sci-fi friends of mine to do the same. Seeing as we aren't BSG "fan-atics" (or at least we don't think we are !?!) maybe our voice will carry some weight with studio executives... sort of "oh hey this is what the common viewer thinks" not "oh look more fans crying over sour grapes"

I appreciate your love for the show and hope you all keep on going! Your websites, art, and stories are great - truly a labor of love! Many fan creations don't come near the caliber of what I have seen you create... and you did all of it from a TV show that had only 14 episodes!?! Amazing

As for Ron Moore's letter - it reads like a thinly veiled "last word" to all his detractors. He also goes on a bit about how old fashioned Battlestar was and how desperately it needs an update... I'm not sure what his motivations are to so heavily change and mangle a sci-fi classic. Maybe it's executive direction. Maybe it's his overcompensation to show a difference in his writing over others.... Hell maybe it's just a general downslide in the standards for good television and movies!

Worse yet his line about "adult themes with adult characters" makes me cringe. I still don't see why science fiction has to be littered with gratuitous sex and violence. Isn't romance and suggested sex enough? Isn't spaceships exploding and people being shot violent enough? Why do we have to push the envelope of good taste with excessive gore and sexual acts? Do rape and torture add anything to science fiction???? No of course not!

The bottom line is his letter is as ridiculous as his script and makes about as much sense. Set phasers on dumb, because It is NOT a great time to be a Battlestar Galactica fan. ;(

Anyway thanks for your time. I wish you guys all the best in the universe! I might swing by every so often to see what's new in the world of BSG fandom. In the mean time however I am on my own personal crusade to wake up Universal and the Sci-Fi Channel. They need to know what their consumers REALLY think, not what their executives want everybody to believe they think.

PS - About Micronauts: haven't seen 'em since I saw Battlestar as a kid! Didn't even know there was anything out there new for them. I owned quite a large collection of them when I was a child. Loved mixing and matching parts and building big "cities" for them to fight in. As a kid Micronauts, Bionic Man, and Shogun Warriors were my favorite toys... well that and I always wanted a giant Battlestar Galactica or a Millenium Falcon toy haha
JeffVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2003, 10:53 AM   #21

First, apologies again to Michael if I sounded like a whiny fanboy...frustration and worry are not conducive to me being entirely rational, sometimes...

Second, in order to understand what's going on with Moore's attitude, I think we need to go back to his involvement with Voyager. Prior to that, when he was involved with DS9, he was a fans' fan, and had GOOD relations with the fanbase.

Then came his signing onto Voyager's writing staff, and his subsequent bushwacking by Braga. That's been pretty well documented in his interviews from a few years ago, and I don't think I need to go into the details again. Since then he's seemed to me to have become bitter and cynical. Having Dragonriders... shut down ON THE EVE OF PRODUCTION on him just made things worse. Now, he's what we've seen lately: bitter, contemptuous of fans, etc etc etc.
Old March 1st, 2003, 11:36 AM   #22
guittarjedi

Welcome aboard Jeff Varnes. I'm still pretty new here myself. Your first post was very good. I would like to encourage you to copy and paste it on to Sci Fi Channel's BSG board.
Old March 1st, 2003, 12:39 PM   #23
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Welcome, Jeff. I enjoyed your posts, and hope you return soon. Writing letters to Diller is very important - please continue.

Look forward to seeing you again.