Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - Finished
Notices

Old July 14th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Just how big is the Battlestar Galactica?

Well, I've finally done it. I scaled up the Galactica so that she is scaled to standard animated avatars in iClone. Not miniaturized characters like in a previous demo I did....no...this is full scale.... Starbuck, the Viper he flies, Athena, the shuttles, and the Big G....all in scale to each other, and full-sized. Generally though, this set is really only for Viper and shuttle landings...it's not really intended to be a shooting set for combat and such...because sometimes parts of the Galactica will disappear beyond the range of the set itself...but I did want to do this one quick demo to show just how big she really is. I also added a little more internal detail to the landing bay....like I said, this is going to be my landing shot model.

Well, without further ado, let's marvel at the ginormousness of the mighty battlestar, Galactica.

http://youtu.be/w9CvUcj_rVg
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
jjrakman

Default Re: Just how big is the Battlestar Galactica?

Love the cell shader, they can be very challenging to work with.
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Hey, JJ, long time no speak.

Glad you liked what you saw. Yeah, it's called "toon" mode in iClone, and you can adjust various settinigs on the shader, but I generally just leave it in default setting, and, well....you saw the results.

I am currently working on an "actor" scale launch and recovery bay...basically, placing sets inside the port landing bay of a battlestar. So far, it has full launch tubes with catapult mechanisms, blast shields for the Vipers (like on aircraft carriers when fighters launch), an elevator to bring Vipers down from the recovery bay. The recovery bay has a shuttle on-load/off-load bay, a corridor leading from the shuttle, gantries near the bay entrance, and working doors at the entrance itself. However, I might have to drop this project as it is starting to become memory intensive.

Here are a few shots from the landing bay project:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Landing and shuttle bay.jpg (356.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Launch deck 001.jpg (269.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Launch deck 002.jpg (249.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Launch tube.jpg (394.0 KB, 7 views)
Old July 19th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #4
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Well, alas and alack, my first shot at the project proved to be just a bit too much for iClone to handle.

So, I'm making a minature version of the set, with only four launch tubes, working Viper and pilot elevators, and corridors leading out from the bays. So far, so good. And it looks a heckuva lot better than my old Viper launch bay sets. I might have to reshoot some shots for my BSGWars project.

I'm working up a demo video now of the launch bay.
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #5
jjrakman

Not sure if this might help or not, but here is an article researching the size of the Battlestar

http://web.archive.org/web/200402160...cticasize.html
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #6
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Hey, thanks, JJ. I'll look into this. Some of what he's got makes a lot of sense.

I still go in the notion that the Big G is around 2km long, and, when I scaled it in iClone to an Imperial Star Destroyer, using the production area's grid, I went on the scale of 1 grid square=100 meters. So, an ISD is 16 grid squares in length, because the official length of the ISD is 1600 meters. (One mile). By going with the 20 grid square length for the Galactica (2km) it keeps the fighters in proportion, so everything seems comparatively accurate, especially in relation to the other franchise ships.

This, btw, is my redux on the landing and launch bays...all to scale, but shot separately from the actor scale Big G that I originally wanted to put this set within.

http://youtu.be/egiNHwcDBoE