Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 7th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #1
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Vi-vendi Universal in the dog house?

Ironic Languatron theories of universal are coming true check out this news copied from IMDB.com

Record Loss at Vivendi Universal

Share prices of Vivendi Universal continued their retreat on the Paris and New York markets today (Friday) following word that the world's second largest media conglomerate had posted the largest loss in French corporate history -- $25.2 billion, much of it resulting from writing down the value of its entertainment assets. The figure was more than twice the $11.8-billion loss posted by Vivendi a year ago. Even more worrisome, analysts pointed out, was the fact that unless the company reaches its target of selling off $7.7 billion in assets this year, it will be unable to make interest payments to its creditors. Speaking to reporters, Vivendi chief Jean-René Fourtou had little to say about negotiations to sell off the company's entertainment properties, including the Universal movie studio, record company, and theme parks as well as the USA and Sci Fi cable channels.

If this happened a few years back what would have become of BG back then?

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #2
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Here you have, I believe, the reason why Universal has yet to give their official benediction to the Ron moore project- they have no idea who will be in a position to give it. The uncertainty of who will own the company is likely inducing a state of complete paralysis- the only reason the remake has gone as far as it has, I would guess, is because the funds they are using now are from backers making investments against the prospect of the full support of Universal. Once these funds are gone, I would speculate, the project will HAVE to be quickly approved by the new owners of universal, otherwise it will be written off and shelved. This approval is not guaranteed, either, I would think.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #3
Erzengel

Sweet! This is the best news I've heard all week. Anyone here has the cash to buy the rights to BSG? Now might be the time.