Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 16th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Dynamite's Starbuck mini-series

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA STARBUCK #1 (OF 4)

(W) Tony Lee (A) Eman Casallos (CA) Sean Chen

Finally, the origin of Lt. Starbuck is told by #1 New York Times best-selling author Tony Lee! See how Starbuck became a Viper pilot, his first meeting with Apollo and why Adama treats him like a son – as he pieces together what really happened the night he was orphaned, and the name of the traitor who ordered it…

Item Code: SEP131065

In Shops: 11/13/2013

SRP: $3.99
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STK623988.jpg (279.9 KB, 22 views)
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Dynamite's Starbuck mini-series

This could be really good, or really bad. Hopefully it turns out good. The cover is cool.
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I do like the cover, but Arora should have been there as well lol

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:17 AM   #4
JLHurley
Warrior

Very funny cover!
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I think I have to get this...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Benedict
Warrior

Looking forward to this. The cover alone might be worth the wait.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 05:58 AM   #7
JLHurley
Warrior

I haven't read my copy yet. Any reactions to it? Here's an interview with the author:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/...-serious-fans/
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
JLHurley
Warrior

SPOILERS.

Just finished #1. It was an ok read IMO, although I thought young Apollo was especially out of character--at least, I never pictured him acting like that, even as a teen.

I wonder if Wyler was the flight instructor Starbuck mentioned in "Young Lords." There's even reference to "the third of the three vipers we'll ever fly."

Anyone catch "Mount Colicos"? Great nod.
Old December 11th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #9
JLHurley
Warrior

New interview with writer Tony Lee re: the Starbuck limited series:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/12/...e-space-pilot/
Old January 24th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #10
JLHurley
Warrior

Another interview with writer Tony Lee:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/01/...-coffee-chain/
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #11
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

In truth, only the writers know what is in or out of character for fictional characters. Fans cannot presume such...they are not a part of the creative process. If they were, nothing would get done.
Old February 19th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #12
JLHurley
Warrior

Writer Tony Lee re: the wrap-up of the Starbuck mini-series:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/...sg-starbuck-4/
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:21 AM   #13
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHurley View Post
Writer Tony Lee re: the wrap-up of the Starbuck mini-series:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/...sg-starbuck-4/
Nehh, bleat about the 70 s not having realistic roles for women in the military then do the required girl on girl fight with the appreciation of the men looking on?

I'm still waiting for someone to do it properly

Lara
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #14
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
In truth, only the writers know what is in or out of character for fictional characters. Fans cannot presume such...they are not a part of the creative process. If they were, nothing would get done.
I think it's the actors, after sufficient time, who know best the characters. The writers may contribute, certainly, but it is the actors and actresses who make the characters come alive on film. Without them, it would all just be words on a page, and nothing more.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2014, 02:19 AM   #15
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

There's a lot of truth to that.
Actors like Lloyd Bridges and Lorne Greene really add a lot.
A few of my favorite examples;
Bill Paxton as Hudson in Aliens
R Lee Ermey as the drill instructor in both Full metal Jacket and Space Above and Beyond
Michael Ironside as Lt Rasczak in Starship Troopers
Christopher Lloyd as the Klingon commander in Star Trek III
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:03 AM   #16
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Writers and actors perhaps...

....but it's when the overzealous and "self-entitled" fans start acting like they know the characters better than the writers and actors that fandom once more rears its unattractive head, and I can only shake my head in disdain.

Star Trek Nemesis for example:
Overzealous fanboy: OMG, Picard would never act like that! Picard would never drive a vehicle like that! (fan rage, fan rage, fan rage, ad nauseam).

Same thing with Galactica.
Only the writers know what Apollo, Starbuck, and the rest of the gang are capable of, or would or would not do. Fanfic writers can write up their interpretations of established characters, based on their info of what they see on screen....but, they do not have access to character traits and write ups that might give clues as to what they might do in future stories, or in given situations, unless such write ups were made publicly available.

Limiting character traits strictly according to what's been seen previously on screen severely limits character growth. Severely limits the "OH, wow, I didn't see that coming!" factor.

Fans tend to limit creative growth. That's why they are rarely (if ever) part of the creative process. There are rare exceptions. Star Trek The Next Generation practically exploded in depth when Ron Moore's script for "The Defector" was purchased from him, and then he ended up becoming a part of the production and writing team.....and when "The Defector" was bought from him, he was just a fan.

But beyond that, fans do tend to retard growth for characters and stories because they want everything to fit within their own little fan bubbles.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 07:40 AM   #17
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Writers and actors perhaps...

....but it's when the overzealous and "self-entitled" fans start acting like they know the characters better than the writers and actors that fandom once more rears its unattractive head, and I can only shake my head in disdain.

Star Trek Nemesis for example:
Overzealous fanboy: OMG, Picard would never act like that! Picard would never drive a vehicle like that! (fan rage, fan rage, fan rage, ad nauseam).

Same thing with Galactica.
Only the writers know what Apollo, Starbuck, and the rest of the gang are capable of, or would or would not do. Fanfic writers can write up their interpretations of established characters, based on their info of what they see on screen....but, they do not have access to character traits and write ups that might give clues as to what they might do in future stories, or in given situations, unless such write ups were made publicly available.

Limiting character traits strictly according to what's been seen previously on screen severely limits character growth. Severely limits the "OH, wow, I didn't see that coming!" factor.

Fans tend to limit creative growth. That's why they are rarely (if ever) part of the creative process. There are rare exceptions. Star Trek The Next Generation practically exploded in depth when Ron Moore's script for "The Defector" was purchased from him, and then he ended up becoming a part of the production and writing team.....and when "The Defector" was bought from him, he was just a fan.

But beyond that, fans do tend to retard growth for characters and stories because they want everything to fit within their own little fan bubbles.
Ron Moore killed off Captain Kirk in Star Trek Generations in a heroic but, completely non larger than life death for Kirk's character. In Starbuck origin. Champagne is drunk in the Twelve Colonies. Except Champagne was never drunk by the Twelve Colonies. Ambrosia, was the drink. Champagne is from the Reimagined BSG. Same for the word Toasters to describe the Cylon Centurions or the Galactica, a 500 Yahren old starship with advanced technology being destroyed by a primitive nuclear missle launched from Earth in Dynamite's Galactica:1980. Writers not familiar with Classic BSG terminology can destroy a decent Classic BSG storyline.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 01:53 PM   #18
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGTweed View Post
Ron Moore killed off Captain Kirk in Star Trek Generations in a heroic but, completely non larger than life death for Kirk's character. In Starbuck origin. Champagne is drunk in the Twelve Colonies. Except Champagne was never drunk by the Twelve Colonies. Ambrosia, was the drink. Champagne is from the Reimagined BSG. Same for the word Toasters to describe the Cylon Centurions or the Galactica, a 500 Yahren old starship with advanced technology being destroyed by a primitive nuclear missle launched from Earth in Dynamite's Galactica:1980. Writers not familiar with Classic BSG terminology can destroy a decent Classic BSG storyline.

Ron Moore also killed off Kirk in a very realistic way. Not all heroes die glorious deaths. They are only human....and subject to the same ignominies as the rest of us...even if they are fictional characters. Where is it written that heroes (fictional or historical) have to die in blazes of glory? If it's written in the "Fanboy Manual of How To Write Heroic Endings", well, that's a book I burned a long time ago, even before I renounced fandom.

Besides, Shatner didn't seem to mind one bit...and often jokes about its irony.

As for whether or not the stories of classic BSG are destroyed, they are only destroyed in the eyes of those who perceive it as such.

Another of the advantages of being an "afan" is that I do not subject myself to the limitations of appreciation that a "fanatic" does. I do not limit myself to "purism" or "traditionalism". I can accept and embrace different ideas about the things I love, and not have to be slavish to the dogmas of fanaticism.

So they used the wrong name for a drink? Big deal. Not the end all/be all of life or the world as we know it. So they probably misname a lot of things. If you know the "real" names for such things, just substitute it in your mind, and all will be well. I do...and I'm not even a fanatic anymore.

I freaking cringed when I heard classic Apollo use the term "turbolaser", a term clearly invented in Star Wars, and meant as a weapon employed by capital ships. So it sounds like Poppa Larson didn't exactly have his writing together either. But, it did not detract from my love for the classic show.

And whatever goofs the new series made didn't detract from my appreciation for either show. Adapt and overcome, or be lost in the dust of obscurity and irrelevance.

Besides, I thought fanatics were supposed to be known for the ability to use their imaginations, especially in the area of correcting minor goofs.

How do you think Khan's recognition of Chekov in The Wrath of Khan was supposedly justified? (Especially when Chekov never appeared in Space Seed 15 years earlier). Fanatical imagination.
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #19
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Quote:
Ron Moore also killed off Kirk in a very realistic way. Not all heroes die glorious deaths. They are only human....and subject to the same ignominies as the rest of us...even if they are fictional characters. Where is it written that heroes (fictional or historical) have to die in blazes of glory? If it's written in the "Fanboy Manual of How To Write Heroic Endings", well, that's a book I burned a long time ago, even before I renounced fandom.

Besides, Shatner didn't seem to mind one bit...and often jokes about its irony.

As for whether or not the stories of classic BSG are destroyed, they are only destroyed in the eyes of those who perceive it as such.

Another of the advantages of being an "afan" is that I do not subject myself to the limitations of appreciation that a "fanatic" does. I do not limit myself to "purism" or "traditionalism". I can accept and embrace different ideas about the things I love, and not have to be slavish to the dogmas of fanaticism.

So they used the wrong name for a drink? Big deal. Not the end all/be all of life or the world as we know it. So they probably misname a lot of things. If you know the "real" names for such things, just substitute it in your mind, and all will be well. I do...and I'm not even a fanatic anymore.

I freaking cringed when I heard classic Apollo use the term "turbolaser", a term clearly invented in Star Wars, and meant as a weapon employed by capital ships. So it sounds like Poppa Larson didn't exactly have his writing together either. But, it did not detract from my love for the classic show.

And whatever goofs the new series made didn't detract from my appreciation for either show. Adapt and overcome, or be lost in the dust of obscurity and irrelevance.

Besides, I thought fanatics were supposed to be known for the ability to use their imaginations, especially in the area of correcting minor goofs.

How do you think Khan's recognition of Chekov in The Wrath of Khan was supposedly justified? (Especially when Chekov never appeared in Space Seed 15 years earlier). Fanatical imagination.
Kirk's death in Star Trek Generations wasn't realistic for a character of Kirk's stature. The character of Captain Kirk demands a larger than life death in fitting with the character. William Shatner recognized this when he brought back Captain Kirk in The Return novelization. Ensign Chekov was aboard the Enterprise in Space Seed as the Star Trek Wrath of Khan novelization mentions. Chekov was a friend of LT. McGivers. Also Lt. Sulu, did not appear in Space Seed either. In Space Seed Khan read the Enterprise Technical specifications which would also include current crew records with photos.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #20
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Yes, sometimes novelization tie-ins will tighten up those little details often left by the filmed version. And a lot of times, they are written based on the uncut screenplay. (Sulu's promotion to Captain, and his soon to be command of the Excelsior was another scene that sadly did not make it to screen...largely because of Shatner's shenanigans.) It is quite possible that a scene regarding Khan's total recall of Chekov may have had a bit more detail in the uncut version of the script, but such exposition would've been a waste of a few good seconds of screen time, and would've tasked the audience (especially those in the know of Space Seed) to search their memories, wondering, "Did Khan meet Chekov?" (Or, for those who did have total recall of Space Seed, they would likely have said: "Wait a minute...that never happened!" (Had Wrath of Khan been shot today, as is, with the existence of DVD players and Blu-Rays, Khan's mysterious total recall would've been booed by the audience.) It would've detracted further from the enjoyment of the movie, far more than Khan's mysterious recollection of everyone's favorite "Russian Inwention".

But, as is often said: "If it didn't happen on screen, it didn't happen." A lot of times, that is a dogma I don't like to buy either, as I find it is subject to the double standards of fanaticism. In this case, though, it's pretty clear cut...Chekov never even appeared until later in the series, so as far as I'm concerned, he wasn't even a member of the crew, and Khan never met him face to face on screen in Space Seed. It's a goof. But that is simply my take. The story was written as it was in the time that it was written.... and it sold....playing upon the ignorance of the audience, but it sold. (And people accuse the JJ movies of lesser crimes with greater vitriol.) Makes me glad I am no longer a fan of anything....I don't wanna be counted in with such people.

Fictional a character though Kirk may be....I still don't buy the "hero must die in a blaze of glory" mandate. The only realism that can be applied to Kirk is that he is a human being, no more or less than you or I, subject to the same frailties and ignominies any of us can face at any moment. Too many times, there's been this "shield of posterity" that miraculously protects "fictional heroes". I used to believe in that, once upon a time. But, as I've grown up, I've come to the realization that Kirk can face as unjust an end as you or I...at any given moment. It is not a matter of "realism" that Kirk must die in a blaze of glory. That is fanatical dogma.

Kirk died doing what he did best, making a difference. That (in my personal opinion) is what really matters. That he died "bridge on the Captain" (as Shatner often jokes) in no way detracts from the fact that he died heroically. And as you acknowledge, yes, he did die heroically.

In the original script for Generations, Kirk was simply supposed to be shot in the back by Soran. That would've been just as "realistic" a demise for him as any. But, unfortunately, because of the dogmatic nature of fanaticals, that didn't test well....so Moore had to re-write the ending so that Kirk at least died a somewhat more heroic death.

Technically, Kirk died two heroic deaths.... The death that history would've recorded in the latter 23rd century when he was (according to what the crew could surmise) blown out into space on the Enterprise B. The death he actually suffered is the one Picard witnessed. I'd dare say that's quite fitting for someone of Kirk's "stature" if you wanna get down to the brass tacks of it.
Old February 26th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #21
gmd3d
Major

I go with Martok on the end of Kirk, any-more dramatic or glorious and he never have gotten in final words in, Oh my. or some such

also I believe we all take different aspects from these shows.. ie fanfiction's..

having read Martoks own fan work showed me how different he viewed the same characters as I viewed them.... one of them in the nature of Commander Adama..

Different, not in a bad or good way.. just different and he took them in a different way and I enjoyed it just as much.

Books are never considered canon (pity at times)

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote