Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Default Galactica Discovers Earth Redux

I have done a re-edit of Galactica Discovers Earth, but YouTube is blocking it.

I have actually submitted a Fair Use claim, stating that the edit was done for comment and criticism. We'll see if they accept it.

Much in the same vein as my Spaceball eit, this is what it is like:

For many fans of Battlestar Galactica, Galactica 1980 was a travesty. Made on a budget slightly less than a penny, and with a corporate directive to be "kid friendly", this show was doomed from the start.

But within the horror of Galactica 1980, each episode had a gem of a good idea within it. The only problem was that gem was wrapped in crap, surrounded by turd, and covered in hork.

The question I want to entertain is: Can these episodes be salvaged?

Inspired by the work of David Kerin (if you don't know who he is, you are no Battlestar Galactica fan), I have set about to re-edit Galactica 1980 to something more tolerable. I offer to you these for commentary and discussion. Let me know your thoughts.

For this first outing, we have Galactica Discovers Earth, the first episode of the 1980 series.

I have made the following changes:

- Inane dialogue reduced. Sorry, couldn't get it all. And I acknowledge the original series' nod to children via Boxey, so I did leave in some of the children-friendly sequences here as well.

- Dr. Zee zeroed out. There was simply no excuse for this character. It was a bit difficult to remove him, so let me know if it worked out.

=========================

I'll let you know if I win the copyright dispute.

Pearls of Wisdom - "Be holy, for I am holy." - God
Lighthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Re: Galactica Discovers Earth Redux

Wow... to take out Dr. Zee is an endeavor! Can't wait to see it.

Youtube is weird how some things go through and others don't. The Promised Land is on there, but maybe its different enough? Or maybe since that upload they got a bit more strict. However I've seen other posters that simply put the full unedited episodes online, so go figure!
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #3
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

I guess it just depends on whatever matches their filters.

Quote:
Can't wait to see it.
I actually am very interested in hearing your opinion in particular.

In the meantime, I have already started work on the next episode, The Super Scouts who, I promise, will be de-superized.

Pearls of Wisdom - I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to catch up!
Old July 26th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Part one is on YouTube. Better watch it before they take it down. Who knows, maybe they won't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JROxjE4xfeI

Pearls of Wisdom - I'm not 50. I'm 49.95!
Old July 26th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #5
Senmut
Strike Leader

Before tax?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Part two is up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAkL88h-6jY

This is the simulated attack on Earth and has a few changes. Check it out and let me know what you think. Hopefully it's a little more exciting than the original version.
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #7
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Wow... I never thought of The Day After for footage. You really pulled out all the stops for the simulation, and I liked it. Its funny how I have to watch these at least twice, because the first time my mind is watching all the editing cuts and choices. Second time I can put that aside and watch for the continuity. So far I think it's really working. Dr. Zee is cut completely out, and the dialogue can still work together to tell a story.

When you were first talking about this edit, I wasn't really sure how different you could make it from what it was, but even with your changes so far it hits a far better feel that what Galactica 1980 was. And thanks for throwing some of my edit shots in there! I like to see them when I don't expect it because it lets me see them with a different point of view, and see if they actually work or don't. Cool cool cool!

Awaiting part 3! And now really curious for Super Scouts. Actually that ep has the great battle (well, great for G1980 terms) in the beginning so that would be fun.
Old July 30th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post
Wow... I never thought of The Day After for footage. You really pulled out all the stops for the simulation, and I liked it. Its funny how I have to watch these at least twice, because the first time my mind is watching all the editing cuts and choices. Second time I can put that aside and watch for the continuity. So far I think it's really working. Dr. Zee is cut completely out, and the dialogue can still work together to tell a story.

When you were first talking about this edit, I wasn't really sure how different you could make it from what it was, but even with your changes so far it hits a far better feel that what Galactica 1980 was. And thanks for throwing some of my edit shots in there! I like to see them when I don't expect it because it lets me see them with a different point of view, and see if they actually work or don't. Cool cool cool!
Your words of encouragement mean a great deal to me. Thank you!

Speaking of cuts, some of them are fairly subtle. A sentence or two chopped out. (The scene with the bikers that comes up later, for instance.) Others are wholesale where entire scenes are removed. (How many times can we see Troy and Dillion fly away on their bikes?) If people can stomach it, they may try watching the original version and then immediately view the edits to really see what was changed. But then, I really wouldn't wish anyone to endure two viewings of Galactica 1980! Hahaha

Quote:
And now really curious for Super Scouts. Actually that ep has the great battle (well, great for G1980 terms) in the beginning so that would be fun.
Actually, I've already finished part one. I think the battle scene is pretty good, but that may just be my ego talking.

Pearls of Wisdom - Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old July 31st, 2013, 09:15 AM   #9
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

I've been playing with an edit that combines Greetings from Earth, Baltar's Escape and Experiment in Terra into one movie length episode. Some of the most fun is editing dialogue. Amazing how you can edit out portions and still retain the story telling. (at least one hopes so) Tricky thing sometimes is the music that may be in the background. Hard to blend that if it doesn't match into the following clip, and it sounds weird if one shot has music in the background and the next it just stops. Sometimes if it's just music I'll let that extend into the next clip and fade out where appropriate.
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin View Post
ITricky thing sometimes is the music that may be in the background. Hard to blend that if it doesn't match into the following clip, and it sounds weird if one shot has music in the background and the next it just stops. Sometimes if it's just music I'll let that extend into the next clip and fade out where appropriate.
I do that sometimes. Other times I whip out my trusty soundtrack CD. Alas I only have the one from Saga, though.

Pearls of Wisdom - "The most important part of reading is reading between the lines!" - The Reading Caboose
Old August 2nd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #11
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Part three at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yHwVa_LF2A
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:46 PM   #12
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Part four: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyaoaqJWWnk

Part five: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT4xi9kVDTY

Part six: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ADc6AQOZM

Part seven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di3dKmqRkJ4
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #13
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

outstanding work with the material at hand Anyone else having problems with part 6? it won't play for me.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #14
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
outstanding work with the material at hand Anyone else having problems with part 6? it won't play for me.
I just checked. It is working. Maybe a YouTube glitch?

Pearls of Wisdom - If you have to do something in secret, then it's probably something you shouldn't be doing in the first place.
Old August 6th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #15
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Part eight at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpeaYxiPSEU

Pearls of Wisdom - Diplomacy: Saying "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #16
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Here's the rest of it. Enjoy! Well...it's Galactica 1980. Enjoy as much as you can.

Part nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oyWb856YfM

Part ten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GbMldDmTfo

Part eleven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0qR_Oc39Ag

Part twelve http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJwE9z5sRag

Pearls of Wisdom - Warning: If zombies are chasing us, I'm tripping you!
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #17
PaulGTweed
Warrior

Excellent work with the new footage additions. Although I noticed a repeating of the same shots when the Cylon fighters attacked Los Angeles. You should have completely redone the Cylon attack on LA without the Galactica:1980 footage.
PaulGTweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #18
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Now that all are up, I may save them and burn them to a disk to watch all at once. Haven't had time recently to catch up on them, so it may make a good sit down viewing coming up!!!
Old August 8th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #19
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGTweed View Post
Excellent work with the new footage additions. Although I noticed a repeating of the same shots when the Cylon fighters attacked Los Angeles. You should have completely redone the Cylon attack on LA without the Galactica:1980 footage.
I tried to use as much original footage as I could, only throwing in additional footage as I thought necessary to enhance a scene.

As for repeating shots, well this is Battlestar Galactica. I figured reused footage is a hallmark.

I would love to see a redone Hollywood attack, but that is not my forte. Perhaps David Kerin would like to take a shot at that...?

Pearls of Wisdom - Commandment VII: You shall not commit adultery.
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #20
Lighthope
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
I have done a re-edit of Galactica Discovers Earth, but YouTube is blocking it.

I have actually submitted a Fair Use claim, stating that the edit was done for comment and criticism. We'll see if they accept it.
Well, I won the dispute. Actually, Universal never responded so I won be default. Whatever.

So it looks like this will stay up there.

Pearls of Wisdom - The public should get the government they want, and the should get it good and hard.