Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:03 AM   #31
Pagz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Corwwyn
I disagree. It is a personal decision. There are/were a number of potentially successful business models.

It's hard to take such an accusation seriously without any evidence. My time watching the BSG boards has shown me that the "purists" (and please forgive the label, it's not meant in a derogatory sense) take *personal* offence at the decissions being made, and it is this that makes them interpret the actions of TPTB as being maliciously motivated. While there were certainly several viable business models for the come-back of Galactica, the fact that they chose one the purists don't like does not make them arrogant, nor does it show contempt for the fan base.

TPTB at the top might be distanced enough for corporate dispassion, but the lesser PTB that pitched and steered the product in question (I'm thinking primarily of Bonnie Hammer, Michael Jackson(not the performer), David Eick and Ron Moore) have/had their own agendas and "visions" of what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it (eg the Skiffy programming changes , Scare Tactics, John Edwards, ad nauseum).

Bonnie Hammer is a "lesser" PTB? I thought she was the head of the network? In regards to the creative team having their own agendas, well of course they do. That does not mean they're arrogant or hold the fan base in contempt. They felt the series was better served by going the route they did. Some agree, some do not, but it's not a decision made to anger the fans. I would wager dollars to pesos that they were hoping that their reimagining of the series would win over the doubters on its own merits. Whether it did or not is not a question that can be answered really.

If you mean G2003, well, without "the remake being remade" it can't be.

A purely subjective opinion.

It is "small", introspective, angsty, and lacking broad appeal.

Again, purely subjective.

It has no massive, epic quality to it, little charm and no ageless, timeless tapestry.

I could level those same assesments at TOS. The fact that you personally didn't enjoy the series does not make it a failure. A lot of people see TOS through rose colored glasses. That's not to say you can't like it, however, liking it does not make it good. TOS was often campy, goofy, and even bordered on or crossed over into the realm of absolutely ridiculous on occasion. I watch it now with a mix of amusement and nostalgia, but I don't for a second fool myself into thinking the series is anything other than some good, clean, goofy fun.

Personally, I loved the mini. I also love the original. I've loved the original since I was a child. When I discovered the fan community online some years ago I was happy to see I wasn't alone. When Hatch began his campaign to bring the series back, I was initially excited, until I learned more about his efforts, at which point my enthusiasm cooled considerably. I wrote the effort off, my personal feeling of it being that, if it did ever materialize, it would be just as short lived as the original. When the Desanto/Singer effort emerged I was once more excited, until it disappeared as quickly as it arose. Having now seen what they were planning, I'm very happy they never got hold of the series.

My honest assesment was that, while I love the original for it's goofy charm and camp value, it just wasn't solid enough to be the basis for a continuation, IMO. The core was strong, the ideas and the base story, but the execution of the original just didn't realize the potential of the concept. I was all for a remake, and that's what I got. Lucky for me, it was everything I hoped a serious adaption of the story could be.

I haven't seen anything remotely direspectful from either Eick or Moore on this production (Hammer is another issue) and I've felt they've gotten a hard time from the purists upset that they didn't get what they wanted. The often brought up "popcorn" line from moore, in which he suggests that those who dislike his take on the story would be best to find their popcorn in another aisle, I think has been blown completely out of proportion and taken completely the wrong way. It's a lighthearted, joking way of saying "if this isn't for you, then you'll just have to look elsewhere for what you want" There's nothing insulting about that, it's a truism. You can't please evryone, it's impossible. So often I see people say "They could have pleased everybody if..." and I always think to myself "If what? they had done it your way?" Honestly, had they made a continuation, I don't know if I would have been interested in watching. Seems to me that's not pleasing everyone.

Nope, they made their decission, they stuck with it, and good on 'em. Art by committee is never good, and bowing to pressure from fans when you have a distinct vision of what you want to do with a story is a sure fire way to produce garbage. It's not going to please everybody, but nothing will. All I know is that if it goes to series, I'll be watching. Maybe I'll be alone, like I was when I watched the live action Tick, maybe I won't be. Only time will tell.

On a final note, the "Starbuck" issue. To my mind, you can't top Benedict, no one can. He was way to iconic in that role. As such, Moore decided not to compete with the established Starbuck. By making Starbuck a girl, he breaks the mold and allows the character the freedom to establish itself without the ever present shadow of Benedict. Forget the PC arguement, or the supposed sexual tension (I never saw any of that from Starbuck, but what do I know) If Starbuck had been a guy, they would never escape the comparisons.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 07:45 AM   #32
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Default Baby Killing

"Battlestar Galactica Quote of 2003:

"Who is to say the killing of the baby is an act of evil? That's our human prejudice. A natural reaction." -- David Eick, Battlestar Galactica 2003 mini-series producer, when asked about the baby killing scene where the skull of a Colonial infant is crushed by a Cylon robot. SciFi.com Chat on December 4, 2003 at 9 PM."

THIS IS SICK. IT IS EVIL, AND EVIL IS ALL ABOUT CLOUDING MORALITY. EVIL NEEDS GREY TO THRIVE. WELL, HERE IT COMES.

That is how I define the answer to your question.

I am sick that I had anything to do with making this.

Ken

Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:14 AM   #33
larocque6689
Warrior

Default Re: Baby Killing

Ken

For the record, I liked Number Six's character, probably my favorite for the entire piece. I would have said Tyrol, but the bad guy's always get my full-on support. Verily Helfer provided much amusement. "Oh look at how much weight the neck supports - SNAP!" "Oh my god, she's not breathing - EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

The music for those segments was completely inappropriate for those segmentss, they should have played it up for laughs. Baltar/James Callis was the perfect foil for her mischief and I laughed out loud during the segment when Cylon-spy catches Baltar in the act with his holo-fantasy about to blow his load. Helfer and Callis made a great team.

I loved Harry's description of the opening scene:

Quote:
She goes over to the human representative, asks if he’s alive… begins Frenching him with extra tongue and dick massage (no kidding) then as the guy is about to blow his load, this Cylon Star Base thingee sends a missile to destroy the space station.
God, if I had known my harmless, little babykilling question to Eick would provide so much grist for the "purist" mill, I would have thought up a few more.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:35 AM   #34
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Default The scene

John,

The scene isn't the problem for me. It's the philosophy behind it. "Who's to say killing a baby is evil?"

That's what disgusts me, personally.

I say it's evil. That's one person. Who else thinks so?

Ken
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:53 AM   #35
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Ken,
You had no control of that part, bro., and the draft script didn't even have the scene, you had no warning it would be there before you worked on your ship(s). Eick's statement is that of an idiot to boot.

Ken, what you said about grey is exactly what "feels" so wrong about Moore's vision of the show though. And what makes it so treacherous. There are things that cannot be grey. How is it merciful of Six to make the baby's mother spend her last hours alive mourning her child? There is no mercy in that.

Husker's lie about Earth makes the least sense to me. That's a grey area that makes me crazy too. It shouldn't be grey. Even Abram knew there was some land promised to him when he left Ur. Items of faith may be "unseen" but they are never "grey".

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:55 AM   #36
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

For the record: babykilling is evil.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:19 AM   #37
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Husker's lie about Earth makes the least sense to me. That's a grey area that makes me crazy too. It shouldn't be grey. Even Abram knew there was some land promised to him when he left Ur. Items of faith may be "unseen" but they are never "grey". [/B]
Well,I understand your sentiment.

I know a few people that do not believe in the existance of a god,but support the prevalence of that belief to keep "society" in line.Straussian philosophers on the right on the policitcal spectrum hold these views.Though I find it a hypocracy.

Your mileage may vary,and this applies to faith as well.Many believers have moments of doubt.And matters of faith are by their nature things that cannot be proved objectively.

To me,it seems the mini-Adama is charting a practical course,and gave his defense of this to the prez in the final scene of the mini.
We KNOW earth exists,but to the mini-Colonials,it cannot be proved,and falls to faith and belief.

Sure,baby killing is evil,but note that is was one of the "bad guys" that did it.
Darth Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:40 AM   #38
malachi42
Bad Email Address

"Who is to say the killing of the baby is an act of evil? That's our human prejudice. A natural reaction." -- David Eick, Battlestar Galactica 2003 mini-series producer, when asked about the baby killing scene where the skull of a Colonial infant is crushed by a Cylon robot. SciFi.com Chat on December 4, 2003 at 9 PM."

THIS IS SICK. IT IS EVIL, AND EVIL IS ALL ABOUT CLOUDING MORALITY. EVIL NEEDS GREY TO THRIVE. WELL, HERE IT COMES.

Ken

Ken, if it morally reprehensible to you, "sick and evil", then how on earth could you work on it? I'm in the business too, and there are many projects I turn down because they would mean compromising my values and principles. That meant both financial and career advancement loss. But my beliefs were more important to me than either. I really don't mean to be snarky, but it seems a bit disengenuous to trash the show and the writers/ producers while collecting a paycheck and advancing your career on the same project. Couldn't they make the same claim/ the studio hired them specificaly to come up with a NEW vision of BSG, they have families to support and careers to advance, how are they held to a different standard to not propogate evil than you are??
malachi42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:29 AM   #39
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42

Ken

Ken, if it morally reprehensible to you, "sick and evil", then how on earth could you work on it? I'm in the business too, and there are many projects I turn down because they would mean compromising my values and principles. That meant both financial and career advancement loss. But my beliefs were more important to me than either. I really don't mean to be snarky, but it seems a bit disengenuous to trash the show and the writers/ producers while collecting a paycheck and advancing your career on the same project. Couldn't they make the same claim/ the studio hired them specificaly to come up with a NEW vision of BSG, they have families to support and careers to advance, how are they held to a different standard to not propogate evil than you are??
The baby-killing scene was added later.

I'm not going to try to explain how and why Ken was involved in this; you weren't here to share Ken's dilemma as a pro-continuation fan being offered a chance to do what he loves to do on a project he didn't think much of. His decision was to do the work he loves; had he known about the babykilling issue, his decision might have been different.

He did a good job, too. With luck, this will open the door to more - and happier - projects for him. We support him in this.

We also don't beat up on him over his involvement. We know Ken, we know where his heart is. Besides, he beats himself up enough over it that he doesn't need you or anyone else helping him do it.

OK?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:33 AM   #40
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Yep,slamming Ken is poor form.Perhaps he didn't see the posts that would have clarified this.I would have hated to have been blindsided with this.

I did see several forms of his post in various threads.I forget which ones I replied to.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:00 PM   #41
Pagz

I would suggest that there's an issue of semmantics to be considered in Mr.Eick's answer to the baby killing question. No where does he defend the morality of killing babies. The fact is, evil is a product of intent, not action. Evil is a human construct that we apply to things, often to things outside ourselves that can not be labelled as such. If an animal finds an unprotected litre and proceeds to kill the babies, that is not an act of evil. The question to be asked is, what was the intent behind 6's action. Cylon's are not human, and as such, applying our morality to them is much like applying it to an animal. The difference being that the Cylons are aware of our conceptions of what encompasses good and evil. So, did 6 kill the baby as an act of evil, or was it something else. Was it curiousity about the strength of the childs neck? Was it a mercy killing to spare the child the pain of nuclear incineration? There's much to be made of the pained expression on 6's face after having done the deed. Why is it there and what is she thinking?

What it comes down to is Eick is not defending killing babies, nor arguing that killing babies is not wrong. He is saying that it was not neccessarily an evil act on the part of the cylon. When we put a dog down, that's not evil, and the mentality behind this for 6 could be much the same.

I don't care for the scene myself, it makes me uncomfortable, but it's there, and I think it's definitely getting a lot more attention than it trully deserves.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:47 PM   #42
malachi42
Bad Email Address

Please know that I was not slamming Ken. I was asking a legitimate question. The two are not inherently the same.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:05 PM   #43
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Fair enough malachi42.Perhaps I read too much into your question.

Ken has posted this message in several topics,and it is a stretch for me to keep track of the responses.

The scene seemed to have hit a nerve with him,as well as others.While I have no issue with it.

It starts to drift into realms that are touchy for many to discuss,such as personally held religious beliefs.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:24 PM   #44
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by malachi42

Is this Jim? LOL, your post is very familiar.

Well, my quarrel is with the comments behind the scenes, not in front of the camera. Ever since I signed on, their commentary has continued to make me feel physically ill. (I debated a lot of things with Ron Moore, which I may be able to post excepts later.) All I am saying is that I don't like the muddying of right and wrong here, and the apparent disregard for moral values most people hold to be true.

I had enough trouble justifying working on it, but in point of fact, when I went for the gig, it was still up in the air to be a prequel, and many signs had pointed to it. I committed to doing it when there was at least a chance it would be a prequel. Regardless, I didn't sign on to this out of agreement with the philosophy of what I'm seeing now. Maybe I am over-reacting. But, I don't think so. I have two sons and a daughter on the way. I've watched the media do everything to slam my religious beliefs, and I am sick of it.

I wish I hadn't worked on it. Call me disengenuous if you want to. I tried to convince Ron Moore to not destroy the original to do his. It didn't help. I failed. Not gonna shut up about how I feel about the BS coming down from the top, though. I don't believe what they seem to, and I want that on the record. That is all.

This is more than just the mini, it's my feelings about a lot of the crap on television nowadays. This is just icing on the cake for me.

Ken
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:47 PM   #45
malachi42
Bad Email Address

Not Jim, wrong gender...
I am sorry if I came off as accusatory in my post, Ken, I did not intend to insult you. I wasn't accusing you, I was asking.
I do understand a strong moral code, I try to live by one, as i said I have turned down many shows because they went against my personal beliefs.
Where we differ perhaps is that I feel that my personal beliefs are exactly that, personal. I choose to not work on a show, or I choose to turn the channel, or even to boycott advertisers. I do not believe however that my personal view of what is right or wrong should dictate what anyone else watches. Right and wrong are very muddy issues, each of us has to determine what is right and wrong for ourselves based on our own belief system. No one I know, nor did I, have any moral issues with the mini, had they - they could have turned it off.
And no you should not shut up, you should absolutely stand up for what you believe. I am glad to hear that you are not just trashing the producers and writers on message boards but not speaking to them direcly about your concerns if you have the opportunity. It is especially difficult in this business to speak out when your livliehood is in question and I respect anyone who holds their values higher than a paycheck. I have just worked on so many projects where crew members have trashed a show for its content while happily cashing the checks. I find that hypocrytical at best.
I hope I've made my point a little more succinctly this time.
All the best-
Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:46 PM   #46
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

No offense taken.

I just want to re-clarify, my problem isn't with the script (though I don't care much for it) it's with the statements and spin-doctoring of TPTB that everyone will love it, and the continuing condescension toward fans of the original, and to the black and white nature of the good and evil of the first show.

The whole "popcorn fare, seventies hair," etc. stuff, all came after I signed on. Each was like a knife in my back. A bitter pill to swallow. And then this comment I read today. Just makes me ill.

Ken
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:12 PM   #47
Corwwyn
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Pagz
Quote:
Originally posted by Corwwyn
I disagree. It is a personal decision. There are/were a number of potentially successful business models.[/b]

It's hard to take such an accusation seriously without any evidence.
Without evidence?

Quote:
My time watching the BSG boards has shown me that the "purists" (and please forgive the label, it's not meant in a derogatory sense)take *personal* offence at the decissions being made, and it is this that makes them interpret the actions of TPTB as being maliciously motivated.While there were certainly several viable business models for the come-back of Galactica, the fact that they chose one the purists don't like does not make them arrogant, nor does it show contempt for the fan base.
Sure it does, particularly when you also take into account the supporting comments and attitudes of those that made this thing.

arrogance
: noun
: a feeling or an impression of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or presumptuous claims.

contempt
: lack of respect or reverence for something

Quote:
Bonnie Hammer is a "lesser" PTB? I thought she was the head of the network?
Bonnie is president of Scifi Channel, but she is a lesser PTB. The greater PTB are in Universal (it holds the rights, not SciFi Channel). And of course now NBC is the top PTB.

Quote:
In regards to the creative team having their own agendas, well of course they do. That does not mean they're arrogant or hold the fan base in contempt. They felt the series was better served by going the route they did. Some agree, some do not, but it's not a decision made to anger the fans.
I think they felt they would be better served, not the series. How could it be better served by being overwritten and attemptedly marginalized? How could it do ought but anger the fans when the mini is trying to say that BSG never existed while usurping many of its trappings?

Quote:
I would wager dollars to pesos that they were hoping that their reimagining of the series would win over the doubters on its own merits.
You might well win that wager.

Quote:
Whether it did or not is not a question that can be answered really.
I guess that depends on what you mean by "doubters".

Quote:
If you mean G2003, well, without "the remake being remade" it can't be.

A purely subjective opinion.
A subjective opinion, but a reasoned one.

Quote:
It is "small", introspective, angsty, and lacking broad appeal.

Again, purely subjective.
It is "small" (and given the likely budget of a series, and the proclivities of the makers, I don't see how the scale could become grand, but that's a question for the future, if the thing even gets picked up in the first place).

It is angsty, very angsty. You may claim that to be only subjective, but I'd like to see how you can defend such a position.

"Lacking broad appeal". I may turn out to be incorrect in my assessment here, but I do not see how it can be anything but without a major rewrite (should it go to series that is). The whole tone seems to me to be far to niched.

Quote:
It has no massive, epic quality to it, little charm and no ageless, timeless tapestry.

I could level those same assesments at TOS.
And yet the BSG DVDs are selling like hotcakes...

Quote:
The fact that you personally didn't enjoy the series does not make it a failure.
Quite true.

Quote:
A lot of people see TOS through rose colored glasses.
To me, TOS is Star Trek, which has several sequel series and one reimaging (speciously advertised as a prequel). BSG has no true sequel series, so I feel that TOS is an unnecessary appellative.

As for rose coloured glasses, well, in my case I rewatch my BSG episodes roughly as often as rewatch my various trek episodes, SG1 episodes, Blake's Seven episodes, Farscape episodes and other shows that stand the test of rewatchability for me.

Quote:
That's not to say you can't like it, however, liking it does not make it good.
It does if part of the reason you like it is because it is good though.

Quote:
TOS was often campy, goofy, and even bordered on or crossed over into the realm of absolutely ridiculous on occasion.
So did Star Trek. So did Farscape. So did/does SG1. Your point?

Quote:
I watch it now with a mix of amusement and nostalgia, but I don't for a second fool myself into thinking the series is anything other than some good, clean, goofy fun.
Is that also how you watch Star Wars?

If all you think BSG is is some good, clean, goofy fun, I doubt you have really watched it. I mean really watched it. I mean beyond the good, clean, goofy fun. I mean the evolving story of the Colonials, the development of the characters, the chemistry of the characters, the mysteries of Count Iblis, the Cylons, the moral messages, the so much more than good, clean, goofy fun. It addresses so many mature issues, and the few issues it shares with the mini it addresses so much better.

Quote:
Personally, I loved the mini. I also love the original.
But you only "love" the original for good, clean, goofy fun...

Quote:
When the Desanto/Singer effort <snip> Having now seen what they were planning, I'm very happy they never got hold of the series.
Why?

Quote:
My honest assesment was that, while I love the original for it's goofy charm and camp value, it just wasn't solid enough to be the basis for a continuation, IMO.
I recommend you rewatch the series through the eyes of an adult, and look past the surface goof/charm/etc

I believe that if Ron had actually watched the series (beyond his one and half eps) seriously, if he had cared at all for the show, if he got past his own ego, he would have seen the well developed relationships and could have written a kicka$$ faithful contintuation easily. He is a talented writer when he wants to be.

Then, it would only have needed a good editor to pace the mini well, and it would imo have been a huge hit.

Quote:
The core was strong, the ideas and the base story, but the execution of the original just didn't realize the potential of the concept.
Neither did Star Wars or LOTR. I don't think the best movie or tv series ever made (whatever that is) realized the potential of the concept. Pretty much anything you name could have been better, no?

Quote:
I was all for a remake, and that's what I got. Lucky for me, it was everything I hoped a serious adaption of the story could be.
Well good for you. I hope you will forgive my crocodile tears at what I see as a lack of sympathy for the kneecapped BSG fans strewn in the wake of the jackboots of the production you like.

Quote:
I haven't seen anything remotely direspectful from either Eick or Moore on this production (Hammer is another issue)
You haven't read Ron's "popcorn" letter then I take it? How about the Eick comments some of which have been quoted on this board even recently?

Quote:
and I've felt they've gotten a hard time from the purists upset that they didn't get what they wanted. The often brought up "popcorn" line from moore, in which he suggests that those who dislike his take on the story would be best to find their popcorn in another aisle, I think has been blown completely out of proportion and taken completely the wrong way. It's a lighthearted, joking way of saying "if this isn't for you, then you'll just have to look elsewhere for what you want" There's nothing insulting about that, it's a truism.
Read the rest of the letter. It puts that part in a less favourable context.

[quote] You can't please evryone, it's impossible. So often I see people say "They could have pleased everybody if..." and I always think to myself "If what? they had done it your way?" Honestly, had they made a continuation, I don't know if I would have been interested in watching. Seems to me that's not pleasing everyone./quote]
You can seldom if ever please everyone. Correct.
So you have to decide who you want to please. Do you want to please a built-in fanbase-plus and attract their money or do you want to reject them and please someone else?

If you please the fanbase, the someone elses will or will not get involved depending on how broad the appeal is beyond the core aspects that created the fanbase initially.

If you try to please the someone elses, while rejecting the fanbase, the fanbase rejects you, vocally. Will there be enough someone elses to make up for lack of fans?

Someone elses are a fickle public. Fanbases are famously/notoriously loyal.

Quote:
Nope, they made their decission, they stuck with it, and good on 'em. Art by committee is never good,
Non sequitur.

Quote:
and bowing to pressure from fans when you have a distinct vision of what you want to do with a story is a sure fire way to produce garbage.
Only if you don't understand the material. If you don't understand what made the fans fans you risk making garbage.

For instance, if a continuation maker saw the original as you seem to (ie goofy, camp, etc) that's what they would think the fans want, and would spew out tripe, because they wouldn't have seen any of the depth that won hearts in the first place.

Quote:
On a final note, the "Starbuck" issue. To my mind, you can't top Benedict, no one can. He was way to iconic in that role. As such, Moore decided not to compete with the established Starbuck. By making Starbuck a girl,
Why call someone Starbuck at all then?

Quote:
he breaks the mold and allows the character the freedom to establish itself without the ever present shadow of Benedict.
Dirk's Starbuck casts a mighty shadow. I'm not sure if the screaming heebeejeebee even has a reflection. (Note: Subjective opinion.) :p
Corwwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2003, 01:46 AM   #48
Pagz

Quote:
Originally posted by Corwwyn

Without evidence?
Indeed. Beyond the indignation people feel on account of not getting what they want, some actual instances of those involved being willfully disrespectfull to the purists. They chose a business model you don't like, this does not make them arrogant or disrespectful.

Quote:
Sure it does, particularly when you also take into account the supporting comments and attitudes of those that made this thing.

arrogance
: a feeling or an impression of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or presumptuous claims.
How about some examples. Something a little more concrete than their conviction with their take on the series. Remember, they are entitled to their opinions, and if the remake is how they felt it should be done, that's not arrogance. Also, lets avoid examples where they're defending themselves from purist venom, they have the right to defend their views too, especially in the particularly nasty wake of the backlash they received.

Quote:
contempt
: lack of respect or reverence for something
Just because you dislike their take on Galactica does not make it disrespectful. Try to be objective about this and not let your personal feelings for TOS to cloud your judgement. Had this mini come out using different names as some purists have wished, the BSG fan community would be crucifying them for stealing BSG. Fact is, this is BSG done differently, but it's still BSG.

Quote:
I think they felt they would be better served, not the series. How could it be better served by being overwritten and attemptedly marginalized? How could it do ought but anger the fans when the mini is trying to say that BSG never existed while usurping many of its trappings?
That's just silly. They made a show but wrote to serve themselves and not the show? If that were the case the show wouldn't succeed and that wouldn't serve their interests at all. They want the show to succeed. They make their decisions based on what they feel would be best for the series.

Quote:
I guess that depends on what you mean by "doubters".
I mean those who took an active interest in hating this show without having seen it and those who were on the fence wondering if it would be worthwhile.

Quote:
A subjective opinion, but a reasoned one.
Maybe, I haven't seen proof of that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'd remind you, however, that the TOS hardly holds up to scrutiny itself. Level a critically eyed review at the TOS and it's in trouble.

Quote:
It is "small" (and given the likely budget of a series, and the proclivities of the makers, I don't see how the scale could become grand, but that's a question for the future, if the thing even gets picked up in the first place).
I wouldn't say it's any smaller than the pilot of the original series. As a matter of comparison, I'd say it was more expansive in its scope than "Saga of a Starworld".

Quote:
It is angsty, very angsty. You may claim that to be only subjective, but I'd like to see how you can defend such a position.
Angst seems entirely appropriate to the situation. There was plenty of angst in the original pilot too.

angst
: Noun
: a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity

Tell me, why should a show which deals with the genocide of the human race not ber "very angsty" ?

Quote:
"Lacking broad appeal". I may turn out to be incorrect in my assessment here, but I do not see how it can be anything but without a major rewrite (should it go to series that is). The whole tone seems to me to be far to niched.
I disagree, but like I've said, this is all subjective. I'd postulate that, if TOS was released today as opposed to 78, it would fail for the same reasons you cite above.

Quote:
And yet the BSG DVDs are selling like hotcakes...
The qualities you cite are not neccessary for DVD sales. I own the DVDs, yet I don't find the series epic, nor timeless. That doesn't mean the series isn't good, but I do firmly believe the purists have inflated TOS into something it is most definitely not and that any critical review of the series would reveal.

Quote:
As for rose coloured glasses, well, in my case I rewatch my BSG episodes roughly as often as rewatch my various trek episodes, SG1 episodes, Blake's Seven episodes, Farscape episodes and other shows that stand the test of rewatchability for me.
This, however, does not make the show great. I have a number of shows or films that I watch and love, but I know they aren't really that good.

Quote:
So did Star Trek. So did Farscape. So did/does SG1. Your point?
My point is that people are building TOS into something it is not. It is not an example of excellent writing, or even great writing. It is stuffed with absolutely ridiculous episodes such as "The Young Lords" "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" "The Magnificent Warriors" "War of the Gods" and many more. The original Star Trek suffers from much of the same. I have never been able to stomach a full episode of Farscape, so I'm in no position to speak of its quality. SG-1, from what I've seen of it, certainly holds itself to a higher standard of writing than the original BSG did.

Now, don't confuse this with me not liking TOS, I do, I just don't think it's the epic the purists do.

Quote:
Is that also how you watch Star Wars?
ANH and ESB certainly hold themselves to a much higher order of quality than TOS. ROTJ, TPM and AOTC are not terribly good in my estimation. I watch ROTJ and I can forgive some of its failings, but I certainly don't fool myself into thinking it's great, it is merely good. the prequels have, thus far, been mediocre.

Quote:
If all you think BSG is is some good, clean, goofy fun, I doubt you have really watched it. I mean really watched it. I mean beyond the good, clean, goofy fun. I mean the evolving story of the Colonials, the development of the characters, the chemistry of the characters, the mysteries of Count Iblis, the Cylons, the moral messages, the so much more than good, clean, goofy fun. It addresses so many mature issues, and the few issues it shares with the mini it addresses so much better.
You can force all the deeper meaning you like into TOS, but it won't make it true. TOS had its moments, but those moments are far outweighed by the copious amounts of camp and ridiculousness.

The Lost Warrior
Gun on Ice Planet Zero
The Magnificent Warriors
The Young Lords
War of the Gods
The Man with 9 Lives
Experiment in Terra
Hand of God

All of these episodes run the gammit from marginally goof to totally ridiculous. I'm not saying that there isn't more to BSG than the camp, but it's mired in so much of the camp that it can hardly be taken as seriously as the purists are choosing to do.

Quote:
I recommend you rewatch the series through the eyes of an adult, and look past the surface goof/charm/etc
That's the problem, that's exactly what I've done. I watched the series as a child and loved it, I watch it as an adult and wonder what I was thinking. I would suggest that you need to rewatch the series objectively, putting aside your love of the series and make an honest assesment of the quality of the acting and writing.

Quote:
I believe that if Ron had actually watched the series (beyond his one and half eps) seriously, if he had cared at all for the show, if he got past his own ego, he would have seen the well developed relationships and could have written a kicka$$ faithful contintuation easily. He is a talented writer when he wants to be.
That's not a terribly fair assesment. Ron watched the series when it originally aired. When the opportunity arose to do work on BSG, he came to the conclusion that a remake would serve the property best. I had come to that same conclusion before he was even involved. That's not ego, it's just one way of looking at things. So many people expect RM to cram into the mini series everything they loved about TOS, forgetting compeltely that it took TOS the better part of a full season to build up evrything the fans loved. The strong female characters, the mysticism, all came about later in the series. To expect the Mini to encompass all of these things is totally unfair. Saga of a Starworld, taken on its own, is missing a lot of the things the purists point to when they cry foul about the mini.

Quote:
Well good for you. I hope you will forgive my crocodile tears at what I see as a lack of sympathy for the kneecapped BSG fans strewn in the wake of the jackboots of the production you like.
It is tragic when the purists don't get what they want, even when they cuss and moan about it.

Quote:
You haven't read Ron's "popcorn" letter then I take it? How about the Eick comments some of which have been quoted on this board even recently?
I've read the "popcorn" letter, and it baffles me that any moderately intelligent adult can read it and consider it insulting. As for Eick, the only quote I've been privy to of late is his baby killing quote, which I discussed earlier in the thread.

Quote:
For instance, if a continuation maker saw the original as you seem to (ie goofy, camp, etc) that's what they would think the fans want, and would spew out tripe, because they wouldn't have seen any of the depth that won hearts in the first place.
That doesn't really make sense. The purists keep complaining that RM and co. saw TOS exactly the way I saw it, hence the major changes. You're suggesting that if they saw it the way I did, they would try to emulate that, which they didn't.

Quote:
Why call someone Starbuck at all then?
As a nod to the original I suspect. It's still BSG afterall.
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #49
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Quote:
Indeed. Beyond the indignation people feel on account of not getting what they want, some actual instances of those involved being willfully disrespectfull to the purists. They chose a business model you don't like, this does not make them arrogant or disrespectful.
Disrespect was not shown all the time by all the parties. I have dealt with Ron Moore personally on several occasions. While we disagree on many things, and occasionally had some confrontations, I would say he was respectful to me personally for the most part, and I to him on an equal part. Just because we did not agree or see things the same way, did not mean we could not debate an issues respectfully.

On the other hand, I did personally call him to issue on the popcorn comment and some other things. I took it to him, we talked about it. Essentially, I feel it was more a lack of tact than an overt attempt to offend anyone.

I also questioned many of Bonnie Hammer's statements in her press conferences, with TV guide and others, saying that "everyone was for the reimagination." That was the most serious slap in the face to the fans, who have been very vocally opposed to it. That is where I personally see the spin-doctoring and disrespect, and the source of the fan's frustration and anger. It was a lie.

Quote:
How about some examples. Something a little more concrete than their conviction with their take on the series. Remember, they are entitled to their opinions, and if the remake is how they felt it should be done, that's not arrogance. Also, lets avoid examples where they're defending themselves from purist venom, they have the right to defend their views too, especially in the particularly nasty wake of the backlash they received.
I would be very happy to post a full transcript of my emails with Ron Moore in the future, but I will not do so without his permission, or without editing out some things said in confidence.

Quote:
Just because you dislike their take on Galactica does not make it disrespectful. Try to be objective about this and not let your personal feelings for TOS to cloud your judgement. Had this mini come out using different names as some purists have wished, the BSG fan community would be crucifying them for stealing BSG. Fact is, this is BSG done differently, but it's still BSG.
Some might have. But, I proposed to Ron to make it a prequel, or a side story so that it could coexist with the original, just as the other Star Trek series coexist with Star Trek. He fully understood this, and even told me he and David Eick would discuss it. I respect that. I wish they would have done so, they could have been heroes. IMHO.

Quote:
That's just silly. They made a show but wrote to serve themselves and not the show? If that were the case the show wouldn't succeed and that wouldn't serve their interests at all. They want the show to succeed. They make their decisions based on what they feel would be best for the series.
It's not silly for a production team to want ownership of an idea. I don't think it's far-fetched to say that they put their take over the fan's take, and in many ways it was arbitrary. There was a policy at the Star Trek offices on writing for Trek. It goes something like this: "You can play in our sandbox, but leave it like you found it when you're done." This was on Star Trek: Voyager, as I pitched for it, I know. In fact, I think that was a bad policy, because they rebooted every interesting thing they did on that show, but that's another debate. I think the root of that statement is still valid, because it means to hold to what has come before, for continuity. They forgot the meaning of that over the years, I think, but Star Trek, though the effects are now dated, is still the core of the franchise. All things Star Trek point to Kirk, Spock, and McCoy's series, as well they should. Ron Moore had a bad experience on Voyager, and in my speculation, I suspect he wanted to throw the baby out with the bathwater and be able to start over, instead of taking the Star Trek route. But, IMHO, he threw out the soul of the series. He and they made a decision. They stuck to their guns and did it their way, and it may succeed, but at what price? That is the core of the argument that they followed thier own agenda as I see it. It doesn't make them evil. It doesn't mean it was the right choice, but they did have the power to make it, so it is done.

Quote:
I mean those who took an active interest in hating this show without having seen it and those who were on the fence wondering if it would be worthwhile.
I had the luxury of reading the script very early at the behest of someone to give it a fair reading. And I did. My review is on my BattlestarGalacticaNewslink page. (see link below). I had no problem visualizing what they had in mind from reading the script. The final product is almost identical to the script I read.

Continued....

Last edited by Raymar3d; December 24th, 2003 at 12:53 PM..
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #50
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Quote:
Maybe, I haven't seen proof of that but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I'd remind you, however, that the TOS hardly holds up to scrutiny itself. Level a critically eyed review at the TOS and it's in trouble.
There are plenty of things that could have been better about the original series. For many years, we discussed things we would have improved on it with, we discussed a special edition treatment to address some of the apparent flaws. An example: "The Gun on Ice Planet Zero" had a little logic error, in that the fleet should have been able to just fly on the other side of the planet and be safe. Our idea was to follow the novelization more closely, and put that system in an asteroid field, with Cylon basestars and raiders at the outskirts looking for the fleet, and as Adama says in the show, 'herding them to that safe passage'. But we see ways to fix shortcomings, not destroy a valiant effort. And there was a very interesting discussion on Baltar's Battlestar, mentioned in the episode "Lost Planet of the Gods" that we found gave clues to a whole backstory for the ambush of the fleet. There were hints, and if you dig deeply and use your imagination, there was so much potential to let it grow and become something really epic. We have the love, we took the time.

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's any smaller than the pilot of the original series. As a matter of comparison, I'd say it was more expansive in its scope than "Saga of a Starworld".
I would say that both had strong points and weak points. The weaknesses of the mini are actually pretty equal to the original pilot. For the lofty ambitions of really showing the backstory, and doing it right this time, it didn't show any of the fleet ambush, just a wrecked ship. It felt far smaller to me than the original. BOTH pilots would be helped by showing different POVs of a truly epic destruction of mankind. BOTH pilots had the reality of too small a budget to really do that story justice.

Quote:
I disagree, but like I've said, this is all subjective. I'd postulate that, if TOS was released today as opposed to 78, it would fail for the same reasons you cite above.
If the original were done the same way today, it wouldn't have had to face the censors it did in 1978, and could have been a little more mature. But it didn't have to go to the extreme it did in this mini in the name of 'maturity.'

Quote:
The qualities you cite are not neccessary for DVD sales. I own the DVDs, yet I don't find the series epic, nor timeless. That doesn't mean the series isn't good, but I do firmly believe the purists have inflated TOS into something it is most definitely not and that any critical review of the series would reveal.
There is love for it, and we see it with that love, I won't deny it. But it's no more inflated than Star Trek was, and it succeeded in a continuation and then sequel series.

Quote:
This, however, does not make the show great. I have a number of shows or films that I watch and love, but I know they aren't really that good.
Greatness is like beauty. It's in the eye of the beholder. I think it is great. I think it had soul and honor and good common sense (aside from the initial mistake that got them defeated).

Quote:
My point is that people are building TOS into something it is not. It is not an example of excellent writing, or even great writing. It is stuffed with absolutely ridiculous episodes such as "The Young Lords" "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" "The Magnificent Warriors" "War of the Gods" and many more. The original Star Trek suffers from much of the same. I have never been able to stomach a full episode of Farscape, so I'm in no position to speak of its quality. SG-1, from what I've seen of it, certainly holds itself to a higher standard of writing than the original BSG did.

Now, don't confuse this with me not liking TOS, I do, I just don't think it's the epic the purists do.
Your opinion. But "War of the Gods" was one of the best episodes. But as a religious person, I find the idea of angels and demons good material, fully fitting within the realm of being cast out of Eden. I personally don't believe that mankind originated elsewhere in the universe. But, it's just a 'what if' story. I like what-if stories. I liked the approach they took. And, this is a core philosophy of mine: If there is a war between God and Satan and there is life on other worlds, that war will exist there as well, not just on Earth.

Quote:
ANH and ESB certainly hold themselves to a much higher order of quality than TOS. ROTJ, TPM and AOTC are not terribly good in my estimation. I watch ROTJ and I can forgive some of its failings, but I certainly don't fool myself into thinking it's great, it is merely good. the prequels have, thus far, been mediocre.
I agree with that. Empire is the strongest (at least my favorite) of all of them, as a film, though with the cliffhanger ending it can't quite stand on it's own.

Quote:
You can force all the deeper meaning you like into TOS, but it won't make it true. TOS had its moments, but those moments are far outweighed by the copious amounts of camp and ridiculousness.

The Lost Warrior
If it weren't an old west town with Boss Hogg running it, it would've been okay, but I am forced to agree on this one. It's the "Spock's Brain" of BSG.

Quote:
Gun on Ice Planet Zero
Some flaws, but it was not bad if it were to recieve the special edition treatment I proposed above. There were good performances in it, and other than the logistical problem, it was fine.

Quote:
The Magnificent Warriors
It's just an episode. The new series will have it's own version of "just an episode," mark my words.

Quote:
The Young Lords
I think it was not the best, but it was also kind of cool. The Spectre/Lucifer/Baltar interchange was interesting. Starbuck as always was well done, and aside from the singing, it works pretty well. The older boy was goofy.

Quote:
War of the Gods
I can't understand why this is on your list. One of my favorite episodes, clearly defining important aspects of the mythos of the premise of the show, and establishing a hint toward the motivations of the cylons. In fact, the MYSTERY of the cylons is one of the main reasons to do a continuation, and one of the biggest disappointments of the mini. "The Cylons Were Created By Man" pretty well killed any and all suspense and interest for me. It's like sleeping with someone on the first date, where do you go from there? That's a far departure from the core of the original premise. Now, if Count Iblis had been human, and accellerated to the powers of the Lords Of Kobol, but been the corrupt leader of the 13th tribe that was cast out of Eden and sent into exile on Earth, he might have had the opportunity to create cyborg intelligence from, say, and evolved version of a velociraptor.... But, too bad. That won't get made.

Continued....

Last edited by Raymar3d; December 24th, 2003 at 12:58 PM..
Old December 24th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #51
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

Special Effects Artist

Quote:
The Man with 9 Lives
Nothing wrong with this episode. We get to learn about Starbuck's dad, and it was just fine the way it was. What did you not like about it? In fact, the Borellian Nomen are the original movie era Klingons. This aired Pre-Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The borellian nomen are more klingon than the original series klingons, and they came before the klingon forehead reinvention.

Quote:
Experiment in Terra
No different from a LOT of ST:TNG episodes. It was fine for me.

Quote:
Hand of God
Do you just object to "God" being in the titles of episodes? It was a great episode. We get our first glimpse of a message from Earth, and they get to blow the smithereens out of a Cylon baseship after having to run away from them for so long. What did you hate about this one?

Quote:
All of these episodes run the gammit from marginally goof to totally ridiculous. I'm not saying that there isn't more to BSG than the camp, but it's mired in so much of the camp that it can hardly be taken as seriously as the purists are choosing to do.
Battlestar Galactica clearly holds up to its peers, namely Star Trek. In that regard, you have no case to stand on.

Quote:
That's the problem, that's exactly what I've done. I watched the series as a child and loved it, I watch it as an adult and wonder what I was thinking. I would suggest that you need to rewatch the series objectively, putting aside your love of the series and make an honest assesment of the quality of the acting and writing.
The acting is great, with very few exceptions. You personally may not like the actors, but I do, and I like the performances. It is in the eye of the beholder. You know what they say about opinions.

Quote:
That's not a terribly fair assesment. Ron watched the series when it originally aired. When the opportunity arose to do work on BSG, he came to the conclusion that a remake would serve the property best. I had come to that same conclusion before he was even involved. That's not ego, it's just one way of looking at things. So many people expect RM to cram into the mini series everything they loved about TOS, forgetting compeltely that it took TOS the better part of a full season to build up evrything the fans loved. The strong female characters, the mysticism, all came about later in the series. To expect the Mini to encompass all of these things is totally unfair. Saga of a Starworld, taken on its own, is missing a lot of the things the purists point to when they cry foul about the mini.
That's true, but Serina was a main character that became a pilot in the second episode. In fact, Laura Roslin evolved from the character Lyra (Serina) who had cancer in the original shooting script. Jane Seymour didn't want to do a series, so they had to kill her off. Sheba was brought in to fill that role. They had a few episodes until "The Living Legend" brought her in. Realities of production. Both productions have to live with that, neither should be held accountable for facts of life. If you want the mini to get special consideration, extend it to the original and I'll meet you halfway.

Quote:
It is tragic when the purists don't get what they want, even when they cuss and moan about it.
It's tragic that that's the way you see it. I did the best I could to take this debate to the source, in a reasonable way, and to his credit, Ron Moore debated with me and heard me out. In the end we had to agree to disagree, but I appreciate that he listened.

Quote:
I've read the "popcorn" letter, and it baffles me that any moderately intelligent adult can read it and consider it insulting. As for Eick, the only quote I've been privy to of late is his baby killing quote, which I discussed earlier in the thread.
It's still condescending. When you have to degrade something to build up something else, it's not really letting it succeed or fail on it's own merits, is it? The baby killing quote is just been discussed to death. See above and elsewhere on this forum for my thoughts on that.

Quote:
That doesn't really make sense. The purists keep complaining that RM and co. saw TOS exactly the way I saw it, hence the major changes. You're suggesting that if they saw it the way I did, they would try to emulate that, which they didn't.
I would not say that. Obviously you missed something. I see the subtle, but perhaps I look for it harder. Enjoyed the debate, Merry Christmas!

Ken

Last edited by Raymar3d; December 24th, 2003 at 01:01 PM..
Old December 25th, 2003, 04:33 AM   #52
Corwwyn
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
They chose a business model you don't like, this does not make them arrogant or disrespectful.
I think this is a "sliding slope" comment. Whether I like or dislike whatever business model is irrelevant of itself.

They chose a business model a business model that disrespects BSG actively. They deliberately chose to go "alternate universe". Then they deliberately chose to call it Battlestar Galactica (as if it were in fact BSG with nothing added to suggest it was different in the title). They took the names from BSG but ostensibly called them callsigns, yet used them as if they were names. Then they went all out to advertise familiar aspects (eg the Cylon eye). Bait and switch. And don't forget the "70's hair" rubbishing of BSG. Darnit I'm starting to ramble. Sorry.

Quote:
Just because you dislike their take on Galactica does not make it disrespectful.
Correct.

Quote:
Try to be objective about this and not let your personal feelings for TOS to cloud your judgement. Had this mini come out using different names as some purists have wished, the BSG fan community would be crucifying them for stealing BSG.
I don't know. We'd still be crying out for a continuation, but there wouldn't be the added anger against them trying to pass this off as BSG.

Quote:
Fact is, this is BSG done differently, but it's still BSG.
It is not. It is something else. The only thing BSG-like about it is the title, some of the names, a couple of themes and some other of the most superficial elements. It's more like a gloomy and angsty version of Enterprise (with a soft porn sheen) than BSG.

Quote:
I'd remind you, however, that the TOS hardly holds up to scrutiny itself. Level a critically eyed review at the TOS and it's in trouble.
What? Star Trek? ST:TOS is still incredibly popular, as is BSG. Surely there is no disputing that. BSG only suffers in having so few episodes, so doesn't stay on the air for nearly as long at a time in any syndication run.

Both TOS and BSG have less than excellent episodes scattered about, but overall both stand up amazingly well for series which are 30+ and 20+ years old respectively.

Quote:
You are quite entitled to that view. I don't see it however.

Quote:
Angst seems entirely appropriate to the situation. There was plenty of angst in the original pilot too.

angst
: Noun
: a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, or insecurity

Tell me, why should a show which deals with the genocide of the human race not ber "very angsty" ?
Good point. I erred in my use of the term. I intended it in the colloquial sense that gets bandied about in Buffy and like shows rather than its more correct meaning.

This is to say that I meant it as the hormone-driven teen anxiety/apprehension/insecurity and the social groping for answers and pointless bickering that clutters so many teen-aimed soapies.

Quote:
I'd postulate that, if TOS was released today as opposed to 78, it would fail for the same reasons you cite above.
An interesting postulate. I see three ways to read this.

1. If it was released "as is" with its 20+ year old SFX and accepted norms.

As a big screen release (assuming it hadn't been seen before?), I don't know. I suppose it would have to be advertised as a "lost classic" or some such. It might do well. If it's anything to go by, at least most (and I think all) the video/dvd stores which I visit (admittedly that's only about a dozen or so, so a miniscule sample size) carry the movie version of Saga of a Star World.

If it was re-released today as an "anticipation" screening (just before a BSG big screen continuation movie) akin to Star Wars on the big screen just before TPM was released I think it would do wonderfully.

2. If it was re-released today with ZOIC level SFX
or ILM, I think it would make a nice profit. I don't think it would be truly huge without the hype of a continuation sequel coming though.

3. If it had been made today with today's equivalent level of SFX and accepted norms.

I think it would have rocked the house (ie. a massive hit).

continued...
Old December 25th, 2003, 05:18 AM   #53
Corwwyn
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
It is not an example of excellent writing, or even great writing.
I disagree, except in the sense that it is not excellent unfailingly. As with the best of other series it has its truly great moments and its low points. Given the rushed nature of the series I find it amazing that it achieved this.

Quote:
It is stuffed with absolutely ridiculous episodes such as "The Young Lords" "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" "The Magnificent Warriors" "War of the Gods" and many more.
Excuse me? War of the Gods? Ridiculous? That's like saying City on the Edge of Forever was a ridiculous Star Trek episode! Sure CotEoF had its plotholes (the very concept of being able to change one's past), but it was still a magnificent episode, as was BSG's WotG!

For that matter GoIPZ was an excellent episode too. So it was a ripoff of Guns of Navarone. Big deal.

Quote:
The original Star Trek suffers from much of the same. I have never been able to stomach a full episode of Farscape, so I'm in no position to speak of its quality. SG-1, from what I've seen of it, certainly holds itself to a higher standard of writing than the original BSG did.
Curious and interesting.

Quote:
ANH and ESB certainly hold themselves to a much higher order of quality than TOS.
Do you also think this of ANH and ESB compared with BSG?
If so, in what way? SFX I'll grant you. Anything else?

Quote:
You can force all the deeper meaning you like into TOS, but it won't make it true.
But it is true, for both ST:TOS and BSG.

Quote:
TOS had its moments, but those moments are far outweighed by the copious amounts of camp and ridiculousness.
No offence intended, but I have to say...that's rubbish.

Quote:
The Lost Warrior
Gun on Ice Planet Zero
The Magnificent Warriors
The Young Lords
War of the Gods
The Man with 9 Lives
Experiment in Terra
Hand of God

All of these episodes run the gammit from marginally goof to totally ridiculous.
I think Ken addressed this one rather well.

I'm starting to wonder if there was anything you found actually good about any episode of BSG.

Quote:
I'm not saying that there isn't more to BSG than the camp, but it's mired in so much of the camp that it can hardly be taken as seriously as the purists are choosing to do.
I put it to you that it is more likely that some casual viewers (I assume you'd consider yourself one?) don't easily see subtle depth unless its battered home with a sledgehammer (and therefore not at all subtle). It's not like one has to look hard either. There are lots of fans perfectly willing to point out where to look if one wishes to see.

Quote:
That's the problem, that's exactly what I've done.
And yet your previous comment suggests that you aren't looking (or can't see?) past the surface.

Quote:
I watched the series as a child and loved it, I watch it as an adult and wonder what I was thinking. I would suggest that you need to rewatch the series objectively, putting aside your love of the series and make an honest assesment of the quality of the acting and writing.
I first saw it when I was young, and wasn't impressed. The reused stock footage and the Cylons strafing Caprica seemed as unconvincing to me as the mini's whiteout and reports of events but no actually portrayed events.

I rediscovered BSG in reruns and grew to appreciate it as I saw the themes and complex interactions underlying the suface elements. There are still aspects and visuals which aren't overly appealing, but the story is immense and deeply interesting. I care about the characters. I want to learn more about the Cylons and Count Iblis.

Quote:
That's not a terribly fair assesment. Ron watched the series when it originally aired.
No he didn't.

In the (I think it was the IGN interview) he admitted to only having seen one and half episodes (of which the one full one was SoaSW). He knew basically zip about the characters beyond Saga. He did not watch the series as prep for his writing. I don't know if he's even watched the whole series even now.

Quote:
When the opportunity arose to do work on BSG, he came to the conclusion that a remake would serve the property best. I had come to that same conclusion before he was even involved. That's not ego, it's just one way of looking at things.
I better apply the golden rule here. The only adequate responses that come to mind at the moment contain an unwanted amount of venom.

Quote:
So many people expect RM to cram into the mini series everything they loved about TOS, forgetting compeltely that it took TOS the better part of a full season to build up evrything the fans loved.
Not sure how to answer this.

If you're referring to continuation fans, I think the one overlying thing that we expect is...a continuation (one faithful to BSG).

Beyond this, cramming everything in is imo not at all what is expected. Focusing on the main themes and introducing/hinting at some of the other aspects is plenty. Some questions must be answered, some hinted at, some merely acknowledged, some can be left completely for later revisitation.

Quote:
To expect the Mini to encompass all of these things is totally unfair.
Agreed.

I think you miss a prime point though. Some continuation fans want the characters, some don't overly mind. Some want The Galactica (as she appeared in BSG), others don't mind. Some want the mythos, others don't mind. Some want assorted aspects, others don't mind.

The one crucial thing all continuation fans want (dare I say need) is A CONTINUATION.

That is the single critical error the makers of the mini made.

We've already seen Saga. We've seen the series. We don't need to see it reimagined. We can watch the DVDs.

We want to see WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

Quote:
I've read the "popcorn" letter, and it baffles me that any moderately intelligent adult can read it and consider it insulting.
It baffles me that you don't.

Quote:
No. No. I was saying if a continuation-maker saw it as you state you do they would try to emulate those aspects that you saw in it, and it would probably be lousy.

The continuation-maker would have to be able to see the aspects that continuation fans see in BSG to do any justice to a continuation.

"RM and co." aren't continuation-makers. Ron and Bonnie chose to reimage.

Quote:
It's still BSG afterall.
Not in the slightest.

[Edited to correct a couple of typos. - Cor]

Last edited by Corwwyn; December 25th, 2003 at 05:28 AM..
Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:23 PM   #54
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

The script is BOTH contemptious and INSULTING.

It's insulting that Bonnie Hammer and Ron Moore still
believe that the show they are trying to pass off as
a remake of BSG .......is "APPROPIATE" for an eleven
year old child. It's insulting that they completely
scrubbed a "GREAT" storyline for their 'SOAP OPERA"
one.

It's contempteous in the fact that there were a
number of MAJOR minority and WOMAN strong
characters and that's been reduced to practically
NOTHING. Save a cylon spy, a cylon tramp,
a cigar smoking-swearing - undisciplined
and impatiant warrior who is almost incapable
of controlling her temper and fists as well as
ONE female president who has all the 'appeal'
of a cardboard cut out.

Not to mention the LIBERAL propeganda
that these "PEOPLE" are trying to SHOVE down
our THROATS in the Blame America speech and
the fact they would have us believe that this is
a 'MILITARY STRUCTURED" show,

Officers jumping into Closets and making out,
Officers getting into slug fests over a card game
THAT is NOT a military structured show.

For example: IF starbuck had slugged it out
with Colonel Tigh at the VERY LEAST she would
have gotten an article 15 and a dishonorable
discharge for Conduct unbecoming of a soldier.

Instead ........... she's allowed back ON DUTY
with hardly a hair out of place. The same would
have been done for Colonel Tigh's Boozing.

I know about Military structure. I am a veteren
of the armed forces and reading the script alone
was enough to get my 'ire' up.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #55
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: How is scriptcontent contemptuous or insulting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin View Post
I agree with you. I don't see contempt EXCEPT in making a female Starbuck. At the very least there is a lack of respect for TOS fans.

How about making Tigh a dysfunctional drunk? The original Tigh was a man of integrity and honesty, who was someone every member of the crew from Adama to the greenest recruit could count on. Here, he's a lushed-out jerk, with marital problems. How reliable is someone like that, or what sort of role model?
No way.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #56
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
How about making Tigh a dysfunctional drunk? The original Tigh was a man of integrity and honesty, who was someone every member of the crew from Adama to the greenest recruit could count on. Here, he's a lushed-out jerk, with marital problems. How reliable is someone like that, or what sort of role model?
No way.
Senmut -

Not to sound snarky, but you must be bored with current discussion topics to respond to a thread that is over 7 years old. I'm sure that you're well aware that discussing TNS or the 2003 Miniseries is not allowed per current CF guidelines and rules. Please discontinue this course of discussion.

Regards,

Gemini1999
Colonial Fleets Moderator

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #57
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

It's called trolling and he's been doing a lot of it.