Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 16th, 2003, 07:32 PM   #1
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default Interesting idea by a Neo-Galactican

I like this idea but I wondered what others think of it.

===============================
http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...1/5/531/319008
Background Story Idea

Date: 02/16/2003

What if the current script became a backstory to the original? I just read the script for the third time and I figured with a few rewrites this could work. Here is how I would outlay my idea.

Name Changes:
William "Husker" Adama becomes Commander Husker
Gaius Baltar becomes Dr. Gaius
Lee "Apollo Adama becomes Captain Lee
Kara "Starbuck" Thrace becomes Lt. Kara
Sharon "Boomer" Valerii becomes Lt. Sharon
Laura Roslin beomces President Laura

The Battlestar Galactica would be renamed the Battlestar Caprica, just about to be decommissioned on the eve of the Peace Conference with the Cylons.

The Planet Kobol becomes the Planet Caprica.

Armistice Station will be the place where the treaty was supposed to signed between the two warring parties but is attacked by the Cylon raiding party in the script. Part of the overall ambush seen in the original.

While Galactica was making its way back to the Colonies this story is happening simultaneously.

This also creates a reason why the Cylons in the original do not have a cohesive strategy to capture the Galactica because they have two such fleets to deal with splitting the resources.

The script remains intact with just these subtle changes. This explains why the Colonial defenses failed miserably in the original and now creates two fleets looking for Earth. Eventually this fleet will run into the Galactica in the series and we can do reunion show with old and new cast.

I could go more in detail but this is good summary of my idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/1
Pretty good but

Name Changes:
William "Husker" Adama becomes Commander Husker
Gaius Baltar becomes Dr. Gaius
Lee "Apollo Adama becomes Captain Lee
Kara "Starbuck" Thrace becomes Lt. Kara
Sharon "Boomer" Valerii becomes Lt. Sharon
Laura Roslin beomces President Laura

Is a very good start but to set this story in the same time frame as the original pilot wouldn't work in my opinion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/2

Not Bad...This could work

“Brilliant, brilliant if you must have your way Adama”
I'm just reading the "attack" in Moore's script this could really work. The sets and costumes would have to have TOS look and Stu Phillips score.
http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/3
That's the main flaw Sept.

Although Stu Philups score would work. The sets and costumes will not. The original series had a look and feel that was dated.
http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/4
Star Trek and Star Wars sets a trend

Anyone who watches Enterprise would feel that Enterprise is more modern than the TOS but it still exists in the same timeline prior to TOS. Even the Klingons on Enterprise are the modern look.

Same is true with Star Wars where the prequels look more modern than the Original Trilogy.

Costumes and such can have an updated look and I think the fans would accept it as part of the BSG universe. Star Wars and Star Trek's prequels have been accepted by their fandoms so why should it not work here.

Giving an updated look will not invalidate the TOS. It will just be a new interpretation of the story with updated costume. It can work and the story that Ron wrote can work as a strong backstory as to why the Colonies fell so quickly.

As for the music, the music in the modern Trek since TNG is vastly differnt than TOS but yet fans accept it as Trek. So the music being updated will still be BSG.

The most important dynamic is the story and that is what we should keep in mind if it is a backstory to the original. In this way, we could eventually do an episode where the Galactica and the Caprica meet. I know some people will point out the age difference issue as probably being an issue with the two cast co-existing. Actually that is very explainable when one thinks of concept of space travel. Since the fleet of the Caprica is made up of FTL ships and the Galactica fleet is not the variance can work. The closer you are to the speed of light, the slower time moves in your vicinity. If you travelled from here to Alpha Centauri and back to Earth going faster than the speed of light, many more years would have passed on Earth than in your space vehicle. The contance of time can make this happen.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:05 AM   #2
Apothis
On Vacation...

Default More messages from the subject

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/5
I Beg to Differ...

I Beg to Differ…
The look and feel as far as Colonial uniforms and the Galactica bridge, Adama’s quarters other rooms and corridors don’t look dated. The ribbed shirts with Egyptian accented collar dress look great today, and the fighter pilot helmets should retain the Egyptian Pharos headdress look.

The monitors and keyboards etc. looked dated, and the Cylons need a lot of help from the chest down. The S/FX shots really make show age poorly.

The sets and costumes should not be great departures from TOS.
nguns
Jon

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/6
I like the idea

However, the costumes do not need a major reinvention to work. Keep the Egyptian motiff like Jon suggest and that would work fine.
http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/7
This could work well

Date: 02/17/2003

You'd still have to have the Cylons created by aliens while the human made droids would be based on Cylon designs and captured centurions. The colonials would have thought they could avoid the mistakes that led to the actual Cylon civilization. Eventually the colonial cylons too would have turned against their creators. After their banishment they would have joined forces with the Cylons taking with them information that would help create the human looking Cylons.
The reunion episode with Galactica and the original cast probably wouldn't work because of the time difference. For time to "slow down" you need to travel (almost) at the speed of light, you can't go faster. The FTL drive is based on some kind of shortcut where you don't have to exceed light speed to go faster. So if the Galactica doesn't have or can't use the FTL they're the ones traveling near the speed of light. Therefore, it's the Galactica crew that should have aged more slowly. Besides, was it ever even established anywhere that the Galactica fleet doesn't have FTL capability, or was it just the bad science in the original? A reunion episode would probably require time travel or something, unless the Galactica fleet stopped for a long peirod of time or even turned back for some reason etc. Most importantly, what I want is a continuation to the original, not just a quick reunion. That would mean another Galactica series with original cast members reprising their original roles.
http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/8
This definitely works

I always thought Adama and the Rag Tag Fleet escaped the Colonies too easily but if the Cylon fleet was at Ragnar waiting for the Caprica's Rag Tag Fleet then of course Adama gets away without having to fight a blockade of Basestars.
http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...5/531/319008/9

Both stories are good

But combining the original with the new gives a very compelling story from the ambush at the armistice to the infiltration of the Colonial defenses. I agree with KLAW that the Galactica escaped way to easily from the Cylons while leaving their homeworlds. If the Cylons were at Ragnar then Adama gets away without having to fight his way out. Also by the time the Galactica arrives at Caprica, the nuclear assualted would have ended which is why Adama and Apollo were able to land on Caprica without opposition. Also having the other fleet explains why Adama was able to make it to Carolon without meeting much opposition. The Cylons were too busy chasing the other fleet.
Apothis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 02:48 AM   #3
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: Interesting idea by a Neo-Galactican

Classics should never be messed with.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #4
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Admirable thoughts, Sen.

However, the deal is already done and over with.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Oh...my....god...

Why in the world would anyone want to dust off a dead topic from 2003?

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #6
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Especially when most of the unfamiliar handles are the same person!

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote