Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 18th, 2003, 09:49 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Help Save Our Fandom!

Our fandom stands on the brink of self-implosion due to infighting, intolerance, mistrust and just plain old tiredness.

The one thing we all have in common is that we fell in love with a an SF show that was the biggest thing on TV in 1978-79.

If we are to go on as a fandom we must remember why we fell in love with it in the first place and why we have kept the dream alive for the past 25 years.

We must accept that in our fandom, a fellow fan's take on BSG might not be ours, but you must respect that fan's right to that opinion.

When encountering a non-fan who asks about the show, point them in the direction of the relevant websites and highlight the fact that this year the, WHOLE series will be released on DVD.

Fans have just got to accept that there are some people out there who are not as passionate about the original as we are, and that for some, watching the reimagined mini is going to be their first taste of something called Battlestar Galactica.

Labelling every person who may be jazzed about the new mini with the clone tag, is unreasonable. Think back to when you were a teenager or younger, and you first saw some stills in Starlog and the like, imagine how you felt at the time. For some, this is what they they feel like when they see the trailers and read the website at skiffy.

Regarding the Assclowns who shall not ge named, we English have a saying: "It will all come out in the wash" and I'm a 100% certain the cosmic wheel will shift and certain folks will get their just deserts.

My name's Peter Noble and I'm a fan of Battlestar Galactica (I even like Galactica 1980).

P.S. Is that alright jewels?
Old June 18th, 2003, 09:53 AM   #2
jjrakman

Sorry if I've been a bit rough over at skiffy. Just wanted to see what kind of reactions I would get from some of them. See if I could flush out a few gophers. Nothing personal.

By the way, thanks for reminding me why I'm here.
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #3
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Peter - right on!
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Well said, Peter, well said.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #5
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

Default My Inspirational Speech to All Fans

We have to remember we're a team here, and we have to work as one.

We must also remember that there is no "I" in "teamwork." And, while, for that matter, there is no "us" in teamwork, either, that should not dissuade you from trying your hardest for the good of all of us, by which I mean the team. Keep in mind that despite the absence of the word "us," both the words "team" and "work" can be found in "teamwork," and if you are willing to jumble the letters together, one can also find the words "we" and "take" and "mate" in "teamwork." The word "weak" can also be found in such a fashion, but I would ask that you ignore that one in favor of the words "team" and "work," which we discussed earlier.

If you scramble the letters even further, you can also get the word "teak," which is a very fine type of wood. I myself have a bookshelf made of teak, and if I am not mistaken, Viking ships of war were often made of teak. I used to have a lot of dreams that I was a Viking, but that was before the surgery.

I might be wrong about the Viking ships being made of "teak," but if not, they were almost certainly made of "oak" which is another type of wood you can get out of the word "teamwork," although teak would have made a much better wood for such a ship.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #6
jjrakman

lol Nice Avatar RGrant. There should be a special place in the gallery just for your avatars.
Old June 18th, 2003, 10:42 AM   #7
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

jj, something seems vaguely familiar about both our avatars.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Help Save Our Fandom!

Quote:
Originally posted by peter noble
The one thing we all have in common is that we fell in love with a an SF show that was the biggest thing on TV in 1978-79.

If we are to go on as a fandom we must remember...why we fell in love with it in the first place and why we have kept the dream alive for the past 25 years.

Peter,

That is what it's all about. 100% agreement from this little corner of the galaxy.

BST

PS RGrant, YOU are a master!! (I had just taken a sip of coffee and damn near drowned when I got to the 2nd paragraph!!)

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2003, 08:56 PM   #9
CylonLucifer

Default Well stated, Peter

You'll get no arguments from this old man. I do go off on rants occasionally and I've done just that at a site I whipped up
http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/cylonlucifer/

Probably some copyright problems there but I did get out quite a bit of hostility in its creation.

I wonder.....what if a lot of similar idea pages popped up done by continuation fans? An evil, nasty trend? We do need to organise our resistance.

Don't mind me...it's close to my bedtime and I'm rambling entirely too much.
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #10
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Fandom at a crossroad

The fandom will survive no matter what happens. Many are frusterated, depressed , and so on. I can say I have been a little of both. We have been battered and bruised but we will survive to fight on and on if need be. It isn't over yet. "Hope is the mother of all men."
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #11
LucianG
Warrior

Cool

Good post, Peter, and Ray, funny post, as always!

Quote:
RGrant

"If you scramble the letters even further, you can also get the word "teak," which is a very fine type of wood. I myself have a bookshelf made of teak, and if I am not mistaken, Viking ships of war were often made of teak. I used to have a lot of dreams that I was a Viking, but that was before the surgery.

I might be wrong about the Viking ships being made of "teak," but if not, they were almost certainly made of "oak" which is another type of wood you can get out of the word "teamwork," although teak would have made a much better wood for such a ship."

For information, the Viking ships were made of oak, until the Vikings used up most of the oak in Scandanavia. Then, they switched to pine, ash, and a number of other woods native to the area.

Unfortunately, only Vikings blown well off course would have had the opportunity to build ships out of teak, since teak trees grow in Southeast Asia. Maybe we should send that information to Ron Moore so he can write a reimagining of that, too.

"Tilting at the SciFi windmill"
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote