Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old August 11th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #1
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default "Macross - Do You Remember Love?" Review

Thanks to our Tommy, I bought a copy of Macross - Do You Remember Love? on DVD. I had never seen it before except as an english dubbed and horribly edited film called "Clash of the Bionoids" (avoid it!).

This was a wonderful film! I loved the detail that went into the artwork - it was quite stunning for 1984 anime. The story was interesting as the film managed to weave together a number of subplots from the Macross Saga series and combine them into one film - an excellent job too, as they kept the story coherent!

The most noticable changes were some of the uniforms and a more modern and sophisticated version of Macross City. The film had a brief bit of nudity in it and the death scenes were sometimes a bit graphic, but not too gory (I've seen a lot worse in anime!). The sound EFX were all familiar as were most of the character's faces - the Zentraedi characters were a bit more "alien" looking than their counterparts in the TV series.

The biggest bonus for me was that there was finally an understandable explanation of what "Protoculture" really is! That has befuddled me for a decade or two! The Robotech series led the viewer to believe that protoculture was an energy source, but all of the Macross films, old and new had references to the people, not an energy source....

Thanks again Tom for the recommendation! I'm waiting for "Flashback 2015" to come next....!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #2
jonahlee
Warrior

Did you get a good looking copy? I have an old old VHS tape I got at a Star Trek Convention at least 12 years ago, and then got a DVD, but it is awful It is really dark, and the sound is recorded so low that I have to blast it to be able to hear it. I have always been a huge fan of this movie, and had even asked Animiego about it, and they had informed me that someone else had the rights, but as US release was planned, but this was years ago.

I know the Japanese release isn't supposed to be all that beautiful, but the kicker is that it doesn't have English Subs.

Don't expect too much from Flashback 2015, most of it is old footage reused.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahlee
Did you get a good looking copy?.
The DVD I got was of very good visual quality - I never had any problems with it being too dark or anything.

Quote:
I know the Japanese release isn't supposed to be all that beautiful, but the kicker is that it doesn't have English Subs..
The Japanese version is the one I got - It did have English Subs - if it didn't, I would have been pretty dissappointed....!

Quote:
Don't expect too much from Flashback 2015, most of it is old footage reused.
I just got Flashback 2015 in the mail today - I was a bit dissappointed with it. It is almost completely old footage from the movie and the series with songs being sung over them (I know - "flashback", I get it). There were some very minor bits of new footage that must have been done specifically for this release. There was just so precious little of it! It was only 30 minutes long....meh The DVD box said that there were English subs on this disk, but I never could get them to come on - it was mostly singing anyway. At least I didn't pay too much for this one.

Still waiting for "Macross 7" - It's coming from overseas - they told me that it would take 10-30 days for it to get here......

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:05 PM   #4
jonahlee
Warrior

If it has English Subs it isn't the Official Japanese DVD. The one I have seen, and which you can get from CD Japan has no Enlish Subs, in fact it has no subs at all.

Does it have Chinese subs too? Then it is likely a bootleg.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

Old August 16th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

hey Bryan,

I'm sorry if it was disapointing to ya.

did you see the end of the last video of Flashback? I really loved the final animation. Its only five minutes long but the quality of the animation is quite high. The happy song she sings is actually about death. From her viewpoint she has died and is looking back on her life and the people she loves. But she is filled with joy from where she is going to next.

The Flashback is actually the end of the Macross movie. It wasn't finished until years later when Robotech revived interest in the project. At the end of the movie where she goes "one two three four...one two threee four...ONE TWO!" that is suppose to lead straight into Flashback. I actually have the Macross Do you Remember Love Movie "Perfect" Laserdisk with the flashback ending tacked on like its suppose to be. Also, if you have the Macross Gold Book, you can see the preliminary drawings for Flashback in it.

OH! And when you are watching the movie dvd. Make sure you frame by frame Hikaru's (rick) massive missle attack on BoDolza. Some of the missles look awfully unusual.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
If it has English Subs it isn't the Official Japanese DVD. The one I have seen, and which you can get from CD Japan has no Enlish Subs, in fact it has no subs at all.

Does it have Chinese subs too? Then it is likely a bootleg.
It's not the same cover as the CD Japan cover.... It does have Chinese subtitles - If it's a bootleg, it's a damn good one. The "credits" on the back are in English, so that would probably mean that it's definitely not the Japanese version.

Old August 16th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #7
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
hey Bryan,

I'm sorry if it was disapointing to ya.
Tom -

No worries, I was gonna buy it anyway... I was mostly dissappointed by the brevity of the DVD (only 30 minutes). I was assuming that there would be more of a story attached. The music sounded pretty good, but without English subtitles, it's all Japanese to me....!

Best,
Bryan

Old August 16th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #8
jonahlee
Warrior

Where did you get Macross? I wouldn't mind picking it up, but I bet it is a bootleg. Some of their bootlegs are pretty nice, but if it has Chinese and English subs it is most likely a Chinese bootleg, especially since I am pretty sure there has never been any official release with English Subs.

Old August 16th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #9
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Where did you get Macross? I wouldn't mind picking it up, but I bet it is a bootleg. Some of their bootlegs are pretty nice, but if it has Chinese and English subs it is most likely a Chinese bootleg, especially since I am pretty sure there has never been any official release with English Subs.
Where else? The biggest bootleg market there is.....eBay! I got it for 6.95 from this place in Arizona. The guy shipped it to me lightning fast too... Here's one of his:

Macross Movie Do You Remember Love DVD

The one thing that is different is the cover art in the listing - it looks like the one you showed me - but so do all of the listings on eBay, now....!

Have fun!
Bryan

Old August 16th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #10
jonahlee
Warrior

Yea I checked out his other stuff, those are all certainly bootlegs. Might have to pick one up though if it is superior to the one I currently have which sucks. I love that film. I even have the complete Macross Soundtrack with all the music from the series and from the film. I love the advanced Super Valkries with the gun on one side, the better uniforms, and the scene where Roy is flying drunk. Not sure I like the ending when Misa just seems to know everything all the sudden.

Old August 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM   #11
jonahlee
Warrior

I picked up that DVD of MACROSS DO YOU REMEMBER LOVE. It is a vast improvement over the old boot I had. The sound is decent, it is just too bad it has burned in Japanese Subs on the screen. Much better than my old version though. I wish someone who do what Animiego did with the Macross TV series, and clean it up and do a nice release.

Old August 21st, 2004, 04:36 PM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

IT HAS JAPANESE SUBTITLES????? Hmmm... Does it have a mediocre english dubbing? If it does then that's the english tutorial version! The short story is that there is a version of this movie that was dubbed into english and had japanese subtitles and was used to teach english to japanese students. Japanese subtitles should not be burned on the image. Except maybe when the Zentradae speak cause that is gibberish.

If you have the version I think you do, then that is the one that was later chopped up to make Clash of the Bionoids. And it has the infamous drunk Aussie playing Roy Fokker!

Old August 21st, 2004, 04:40 PM   #13
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

BTW- Mari Ijima who did the voice of original japanese voice of minmay eventually moved to Los Angeles and does videogame voices and music. She had not only done Minmay's voice, she wrote and sang many of her (japanese) songs. She has her own website too!

http://www.marimusic.com/

Quote:
I thought I've done much more stuff.
Is this it? (@@) Not much people know that
I produce records, write songs and etc.
Cause I'm (pretty much) only known for
playing Minmay. (sigh) Check it out.
Mari's Work.

Old August 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM   #14
jonahlee
Warrior

Might just be where the Zentradai speak as I only wathed the beggining.

Yea Mary Ijima was huge in Japan. Her original Macross albums went number 1 in Japan!

Old August 21st, 2004, 05:21 PM   #15
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Might just be where the Zentradai speak as I only wathed the beggining.
Jonahlee -

I thought the same thing during the Zentraedi scenes. They are speaking a "foreign" language in the film after all - it ain't japanese, either! I was going nuts when I saw this too - I thought that there was some problem with the subtitles....

Best,
Bryan