Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old March 26th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Last Exile on TechTV

Hey folks -

A couple of weeks ago, I caught a glimpse into an anime series being run on TechTV as part of their Anime Unleased program, which is run every evening. When I saw this, it was during a 13-episode marathon a couple of Sundays ago. Being that I came upon it by accident and I had no idea how far into the story I was jumping in, I just decided to try and rent the DVDs for it. There are 4 DVD sets and only the first 2 are out currently. The 3rd DVD will come out on the 6th of April and the 4th on the 8th of June to complete the series.

I sat down today and watched the two DVDs I received from Netflix.com - What an eyeful! The soundtrack is terrific (It is out on 2 separate CDs) and the story and visuals are quite a treat to see. The characters are interesting and the plot is anything but boring as well. The show has a unique look that uses traditional modern anime style for the characters, 2D VFX for some of the backgrounds and 3D CGI modeling for the various craft that are used. The result is so......I just don't have words to express it! You gotta see it to understand what I'm trying to say here!

Here's where I made a silly mistake - I rented the DVDs, right? Well, in surfing the web and going to TechTVs website, I found out that they are broadcasting the series one episode at a time - and it started on the 25th....! Oy! I could've watched if for free! In case you want to take a peek at it - you can see it at 1am Eastern, or 10pm Pacific - check the TechTV website for more detailed listings...

TechTV - "Last Exile"

If you haven't already seen this - check it out!

Have fun -

Bryan
________
LovelyWendie
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #2
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Hey folks -

A couple of weeks ago, I caught a glimpse into an anime series being run on TechTV as part of their Anime Unleased program, which is run every evening. When I saw this, it was during a 13-episode marathon a couple of Sundays ago. Being that I came upon it by accident and I had no idea how far into the story I was jumping in, I just decided to try and rent the DVDs for it. There are 4 DVD sets and only the first 2 are out currently. The 3rd DVD will come out on the 6th of April and the 4th on the 8th of June to complete the series.

<...>

Here's where I made a silly mistake - I rented the DVDs, right? Well, in surfing the web and going to TechTVs website, I found out that they are broadcasting the series one episode at a time - and it started on the 25th....! Oy! I could've watched if for free!
Yes, but what about the content of the DVDs?

Were there extras?

Anything that wasn't aired on TV?

Documentary tracks?

In addition to TectTVs site check out: http://www.lastexiledvd.com/
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius
Yes, but what about the content of the DVDs?

Were there extras?

Anything that wasn't aired on TV?

Documentary tracks?
Kester -

Sorry for the lack of detail about the DVDs.... As to extras, they were quite limited. On the first disk, they had 2 versions of the opening credits with the title song - the first was text-free (no titles), the other had the original Japanese titles. There was also an interview with the production designers (I haven't watched that yet), some promotional trailers, an art gallery and some previews for other DVD releases from Pioneer Entertainment (the US DVD company).

Disk 2 had two versions of the closing credits (different song and visuals), another art gallery and commercial spots for the Japanese release of the Soundtrack CDs.

I haven't watched the TV episodes yet to compare, but I'm going to start tonight at 10pm (I live on the west coast, thank god!), none of that 1am stuff for me.... Each disk so far has 4 episodes that run at 25 minutes each. I don't think that there is anything edited out for TV. I know that the series in its entire run has 26 episodes, so the third and forth sets must have more than 4 episodes on each disk.

There are "Boxed Set" versions listed on Amazon.com for the first and second sets, which cost more, but reading the details provided little information in the way of what those more expensive sets included - I'll have to try going to a local Best Buy and see what those sets have going for them....

I'll let you know what I find out over the weekend!

Cheers,
Bryan
________
Prilosec Side Effects
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:18 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Hey Bryan! I loved this series too! There is a post buried about it somewhere in here.

The music to this show is really smooth. I love the slow buildup to something powerful music. The one you hear in the first scene with Tatiana taking out the Grand Stream(storm).

I think this show has ALOT in common with the first Star Wars. You got the orphaned kids basically trying to make it alone in a nowhere place. But they have their father's gift for flying. They are just trying to survive when all of a sudden they are caught up in an adventure that will decide the fate of the world. They have to protect the girl from the overwhelming Empire. A mysterious power. And a new incredibly dramatic theme music that slowly builds and builds that embodies mysterious power. (like the Force theme)

Good stuff!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 10:37 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

btw- If you like serious dramatic anime, you may like Witch Hunter too. It airs at midnight PST/EST on cartoon network.

Its about to air its finale, but I believe after that it will start again at the beginning.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:36 PM   #6
jonahlee
Warrior

Yea I have seen the first DVD of the series and loved it. Gonzo is putting out some really quality animation.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote