Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 12:44 PM   #1
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Macross Zero & Macross 7 info

Hey everyone -

I was in a local comics store (A-1 Comics in Roseville) and I was looking thru their Anime DVD selection. I came across two Macross-related shows that I had never heard of before - they were titled Macross Zero & Macross 7. I have seen all of the Macross features up thru Macross Plus (which I enjoyed immensely!).

The price was about 22-25 dollars per DVD, so I cruised eBay and was able to get all 4 DVDs for Macross Zero for only 39 dollars! I haven't watched them yet - they just came in the mail today. I just wanted to find out if anyone else has seen these and get their impressions...

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:10 PM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Bryan! I like them. I have had Macrross Seven for awhile. I got vhs tapes from japan that were all in japanese. I would read the scripts intime with the show cause there were no subtitles.

There is alot to like about Macross 7, but it has a weird plotline:
Spoiler
it involves "space vampires" and well... music as the only effective weapon

Its a far fetched really weird concept. But I like how they got the same character designer as the original Macross. And they pulled mecha designs off MacrossPlus which was from the guy who designed the mecha. So it looks right.

The only characters that are back are Max, Myria and Exedore. But its good to see them again.

The opening credits are REALLY good. I love the Macross City ship.

Its worth getting for us hardcore Macross fans.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:13 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

OH! And Macross Zero is 5 episodes long. The fifth ep isn't out yet. The animation is insanely good. Its a bit slow, but the movie is very dramatic. And I really enjoy seeing Roy Fokker again!

I hope you like them all!

http://www.macross.co.jp/zero/

Old August 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
OH! And Macross Zero is 5 episodes long. The fifth ep isn't out yet. The animation is insanely good. Its a bit slow, but the movie is very dramatic. And I really enjoy seeing Roy Fokker again!

I hope you like them all!

http://www.macross.co.jp/zero/

Tom -

I just finished episode 4 of Macross Zero.... I loved the animation - the music was great and the plot was very interesting. I must say that the english subtitles lost me once in a while - I'm thinking that some of the subtitled dialogue was a literal translations as a line here and there only "sort of" made sense. There were a quite a few typos in the subtitles as well.

I thought that the story was interesting - where do they get the ideas for the stories??? I do confess that the DVD series brought up more questions than answers, but I'm trying to just let the art flow and enjoy it for what it is. Episode 4 left me hanging - only to find out that the fifth episode won't be out until later this fall! Oy..... I can't wait to find out how the story ends!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:31 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Oh I know how you feel! I really wish we could get this out sooner! But it should be worth the wait. The animation is gorgeous!

So you didn't get any Macross7? Its not the best in this franchise. But welll....its Macross!

Old August 4th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #6
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
So you didn't get any Macross7? Its not the best in this franchise. But welll....its Macross!
Tom -

I'm crusing eBay right now looking for it - no problem finding it there. You said the ones you watched weren't subtitled....? All of the sets on eBay have english and chinese subtitles. Are there 52 eps or only 49? Is there a website (hopefully in english!)? It seems to be way cheaper to buy it from overseas - the US sellers want way too much for the sets. The only thing about buying from overseas, is that it takes a little longer to ship.

I understand what you mean about it not being the best - but I am a Macross nut (an old girlfriend hooked me on it years ago) and I want to see it all!

Old August 7th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

sorry about a slow reply. I missed seeing that you replied to this thread.

I emailed you a letter talking about Macross. Did you get it?

I know how you feel about Macross too. I've spent sooo much money on Macross stuff. Infact in front of me happens to be Macross Flashback 2015. And to my left on a bookshelf is my Macross book collection!
Quote:
Are there 52 eps or only 49?
Macross 7 had 49 episodes. Though there are a few extra encore episodes that were made that have the cast, but on a sidestory after it all ended. Do you remember the episode in Robotech where Max and Myria invade a Zentradae fortress and freak everyone with a baby? Well one of the extra episodes is a retelling of that with the Macross7 cast.

I believe they were in order:
Macross7: Strongest Woman in the Fleet
Macross7 encore1: On Stage
Macross7 encore2: Which One do you Like?
The Macross7 movie: The Galaxy is calling Me

I hope that helps!

And a feature with only the lead character called Macross7 Dynamite.

Old August 7th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
sorry about a slow reply. I missed seeing that you replied to this thread.

I emailed you a letter talking about Macross. Did you get it?

I know how you feel about Macross too. I've spent sooo much money on Macross stuff. Infact in front of me happens to be Macross Flashback 2015.
Tom -

I did get your e-mail, but I had already found a seller on eBay that had the series at a fairly low price. I did some reading on the net and found out that Macross 7 isn't all that popular with a lot of fans, not just you. I bit the bullet and bought it anyway - I should get it late next week.

I was going to ask you about the Macross films - Do You Remember Love? & Flashback 2015. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never seen either of them - are they worth the purchase? Both are very cheaply available - I just wanted your input as a fellow Macross/Robotech fan.

Thanks a bunch,
Bryan

Old August 7th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #9
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Both are GORGEOUS!!!!

Macross: Love, Do You Remember? is a retelling of the story. It starts out with SDF-1 Macross deep in space approaching within Jupiter's orbit. Hikaru Ichijo (Rick Hunter) is already a pilot, but hasn't met Lin Minmay who is already a popular singer. And it covers the story from that point.

Its incredibly animated. But its sort of what Star Trek the Motion Picture was to Trek. Big, extravagant, but at the same time it was kinda slow and plodding. It was too serious and forgot to have fun. But even so, its still Macross!

Btw there is a playstation game version of this movie. And its funner than watching the movie. And it has some nice animation in it. And some clips from the movie. Top quality.

Macross Flashback is stunningly gorgeous. Its one of those pieces that convinced me to take up drawing. its mostly music videos using clips from the series and movie. But there is six minutes of original animation that I just love. The drawings are great! They show the characters about 5 years after the ending of Macross. The drawings of Minmay are so good, they made me a Minmay fan!!! Which is saying something considering how butchered she was in the english version!

Its a really nice capper for Macross fans.
You can find Macross Flashback on the net. There are some great pics from it!

btw- there is a Clash Of the Bionoids out there using Macross animation. AVOID it like the plague! Its a horrible reediting of the movie. Really really bad.

Old August 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #10
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
btw- there is a Clash Of the Bionoids out there using Macross animation. AVOID it like the plague! Its a horrible reediting of the movie. Really really bad.
Tom -

Thanks for the feedback on both of the Macross movies - I will buy them right away! As for Clash of the Bionoids - I made that mistake about 10 years ago. I saw the VHS tape in Suncoast Motion Picture and recognized the artwork as Macross. I watched it - the animation looked good, but the editing was indeed horrible and the story was practically unintelligible. I don't even know where the tape is anymore as it isn't really worth watching.

Thanks again!
Bryan

Old August 8th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #11
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Its my pleasure!

Old August 10th, 2004, 08:38 PM   #12
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default Acquisition in progress....!

Well Tom -

Based on your enthusiastic reviews (and some of my own enthusiasm), I cruised eBay and made a few purchases:

Macross - Do You Remember Love? 14.99 (incl shpg)
Macross - Flashback 2015 - 13.99 (incl shpg)
Macross 7 - 31.99 (incl shpg)

I expect the first 2 movies to arrive first as they have already been shipped from Calif & Ariz respectively. I can't wait to see them!

Macross 7 was just paid for today and will probably take a while longer.....

I'm so gonna be in Macross heaven....!

By the way - have you seen the extended versions of the Robotech - The Macross Saga DVD episodes? Is it worth a look?

Later,
Bryan

Old August 10th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #13
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

CONGRATS!!!!! You are going to love watching them. They are not 100% good. But if you wade through the slow stuff you will be very happy! At least with Macross Flashback and Macros DYRL.

Extended version? Whoa... I didin't know they were extended. The new version might have extra bits.

I do know that my set of dvds had comlaints cause of the low quality of the image. Lots of tiny grain and dirt specs. I haven't checked, but I think the scenes that were censored out are there. The first run had a few scenes that some over active PTAs in the south protested. All involving characters getting drunk. These were axed in later runs of the show.

There are a few scenes that aren't in the american version that I know of. A few have some graphic depictions of gunshot wounds. Fokker when he died showed a couple of bleeding wounds. There was also some censoring of nudity.

I really wish I had waited to get my Robotech DVDs. The new ones coming out now are much cleaner. And the packaging is ten times better.

But to be honest... I don't know much about the new sets.

Old August 10th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #14
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Default Robotech Remastered Series

Quote:
Extended version? Whoa... I didin't know they were extended. The new version might have extra bits.
Tom -

The newest version being sold is the "Robotech Remastered" series. It is supposed to be of a higher visual quality than the original release, but you might want to read some of the reviews on Amazon.com - they vary a bit. Some say the quality is better and other say it's not noticeable. As for the "extended" bit - it sounds debatable by the reviews. As for myself, I only bought the first 2 sets of the Macross Saga and never finished buying them. I've been wondering about these new ones - I suppose I could just get the other half of Macross Saga and finish the set out that way....

Here's a link to Set 1 of the Macross Saga (Remastered) at Amazon.com:

Robotech Remastered - The Macross Saga

Best always,
Bryan

Old August 10th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #15
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

ah! Thank you that helps!

I can't believe someone bought all versions of Macross! That is expensive!

I bought the fisrt set of dvds that came out, though I skipped the extras. I am missing the second season, though I have good copies of the japanese version. And I bought the big box cntaining all of the third chapter.

I also have the Laserdisks for Macross.

I spent waaaay too much money on this.