Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old February 17th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Thunderstruck
Warrior

Default Collaboration BSG Why not? A fan film

I know I am new to this and most other BSG communities , but I share a lot of the same views and opinions. I have also seen many many fan made efforts and endeavors, stories and ideas to which I have just scalped the surface.
I think it was Martok that mentioned on this and I believe it has been said before I am sure.

Just something that occurred to me.

Since coming back online just a few years ago and becoming disabled, I have had time to explore the net more and be active in a few places.And begin my journey into Gfx and video,CGI

I am part of a gaming community that was mostly based on C&C Command and Conquer series based on Renegade of that franchise. The game is 10 years old but still is running on multiplay servers.Still has many dedicated servers.And still gains players.
Now-EA Electronics Arts bought out Westwood Studios years ago and basically killed the franchise.To make a long story short-

Since EA would not remake or upgrade Renegade, fans took it upon themselves to create one.And they have, it is called RenegadeX.
It is not for sale or anything like that.It has taken them quite a few years doing it in spare time and such. It is not really a whole new independent game. They got permission to use a game engine from another game and used it to build and upgrade the graphics and such using some of the same maps and models or upgrading them.Using same stuff from original and adding to it.It was finally finished a few months ago.

I suppose my point is, that this can be done with a game, without violating
any rights, with no commercial purpose and a total fan based endeavor was successful or has been done, why then cannot this? Or something similar.
Why can't a CGI film be done? Why hasn't it? .

I am just beginning my 3d affair but it appears that a lot of great art and works have already been created by fans. The art is there, the tools are there,the experience and knowledge seems to be there, so why not?
I guess it relies on committal and how many are.And also some knowledge in areas I am unfamiliar with. Creating or producing something.

But if you could find the right people who are willing to be involved with knowledge or experience in matters just for the love of it, then why not.

As with one community , they created a Renegade Council, much like a council of the twelve. Maybe there are /is not enough interest or people that
would or can. IDK.Just that it seems that so many have talked and been waiting for 3 decades that something similar to Renegade has not occurred.

Again I just got on board, but I have a passion and special place for BSG.
Was never able to do anything,participate in past years.

Began 3d modelling in October,and one of the first of 3 models I tried to make was a Viper.I would bet that even now,more so after re-imagined that all that know of an X-wing ,knows of a Viper also.I know of many from around the globe from online multiplay know and love BSG TOS

Am curious what some of you fine folks might have to say on this.
What may be involved.What may prevent this. What could stop you if you really want to do it.Sometimes as they say, if you want something done, you got to do it yourself.

"Let the word go forth,to every man woman and child,that from this day forward......." Adama

If there are animators or character animators,writer(s),modelers that can
and know how,wish for it, then why not? Seems the only thing needed
is guidance, direction,goal,desire,knowledge and patience.Some of you I know have been a part of BSG fan based communities for a long time.
Has this been tried? Webisodes? Series? Film?

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Collaboration BSG Why not? A fan film

This has come up a few times, and the talent is here to make a fan film.

in fact I am planning one all in cgi now all the tools are there.

it just needs the backing of the members to say yes I will help

at present I am preparing a techmanual (you may have see a few posts of it been mentioned) and that is the stepping stone
for a fan film..

in it I and I hope all the members here will help as much as possible, to scale the models and expanded what we know about it..

I don´t what to talk about the fan film yet but I will say Martok will be involved in the writing of it, based on an Idea I mentioned to him.

I will be building many new sets for it.

there are one or two more elements I need to check first for the fan film. that's why the techmanual is first to have every thing ready and all agreed.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #3
Thunderstruck
Warrior

That is good to hear.

There are probably a great many things I am unaware of in relation to BSG.
But, In recent months since beginning I have come across many examples of
actual films, made by students,small entities,small companies and the like.

Have seen on VideoCo-Pilot several times some great stuff that unknowns have made with little to no money. Have seen a spinoff of LOTR, that was really good and I think it was done for less than 15K. and used paid actors.
It could not have been for profit or it would be Copyright infringement I would imagine.

I do not have an inkling on film or much of anything- ( I admit it-am uneducated) and have just started learning. I would not mind at all to assist
if I could.Whatever way that I know.

I may be wrong but good cinematography does not seem to be hard to come by these days.Seeing some of those things done with 1 camera, a few actors and a script and a lil bit of CGI stuff got me. I have been trying ever since to learn as much as I can by trial and error,tutorials, and whatever I can find.
And wouldn't you know it. Some of the first shorts I try and make are of BSG.
Out of bout 5, 4 are of BSG!

Only drawback for myself is my Comp. It is old and outdated. And is very temperamental and corrupted.Hopefully, March 15th will be a good day.
After 3 years of waiting I get my day in court for my claim.IF it goes my way,
I am getting a supercomputer that makes coffee and keeps me company LOL

But if I can, am able, I would lend a hand however I can. I no longer am active as a mod-or officer of Renegade(on one of the servers) but still active on the forums and part of the Graphics team- not a real art team mind ya or paid,but for forum,wiki stuff that if needed we make it.

If I said too much just say so lol

Randal R.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/.../Viper-Sig.gif
So much to learn , so little time, and so many ideas with so little knowledge and so much to discover with so many things to try.
Thunderstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

I welcome any help at all.

the problem with getting fans to be actors, is we all have to be in the same place... I live in Spain and some are in Europe and the bulk in the USA ...

so I would preface to use CGI for all of it.

Using Poser Lightwave Carrara daz and whatever else can be used...

there are a whole lot of things that will have to be done....
But we have available most if not all the models needed for a production.

The Techmanual is to get everyone on the same page as to scales
what things are and where things are... terminology too will be looked at.

if possible cross sections of the ships, not all of course it would take years to get done.

Like on the Galactica I would like to see how that's arranged or possibly arrange.

But for the fan film we will work to the best we can. I dont what to get caught up on been perfect. this is a hobby for me.

and for all of use...

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote