Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 4th, 2003, 07:49 PM   #1
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Default Ron Moore on Smallville (10/21/01)

This may or may not be BSG related, but Ron seems to share the same over confidence with Roswell as he currently does with the BSG remake so I chose to post this here.

Ron Moore on Smallville (10/21/01)

"Moore added that he and the show's creators aren't overly concerned with competition from The WB's Smallville, which premiered last week to stellar ratings.
"We knew going in that it was going to premiere very big," Moore said. "It's the new Superman show. I mean, it's like, I'm curious. There's a given curiosity factor that is going to bring people over to that show to just see it. 'Yeah, what's this new Superman thing they're doing?' So we knew that, and so we were prepared to let them have a big premiere and a solid follow-up rating or two. ... But after the bloom is off the rose, and they have to do it every week, then it's going to be a fair fight, and we'll just see what happens."
Roswell airs Tuesday nights on UPN at 9 p.m. ET/PT."

Now we all know what happened with that don't we?

I never watched much Roswell so I can't comment on anything about that matter.

However, I did take the time to talk to a few Roswell fans and they stated that UPN execs hired Ron to re-imagine the series for the move to UPN from WB and the fans were not happy at the direction he took the series.

As I said before, I have not watched enough of this series to know if he re-imagined it for the better or for the worst but one thing is for sure, Smallville ended up kicking Moore's Roswell's ass off the ratings map.

My guess is the fans didn't like what Ron did to their show and they walked out on it to tune in to Smallville, a new series based on Clark Kent's coming of age, but most importantly it stayed true to the Superman legacy.

That is why Ron Moore failed back then and that is why Ron will most likely fail with BSG2003.

This gives me hope that I will someday be ordering a Big Mac from Ron in the not too distant future.

-Ronald D. Moore-

Last edited by Scooter2000; June 4th, 2003 at 08:19 PM..
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #2
Senmut
Strike Leader

I think it's called Megaloania, the idea that only "I" can do it right. Moore has this in spades, hence his rendering anything he touches unrecognizeable. As to the Big Mac, well... Let's hope he doesn't reimagine THAT as well!

-Amo atria meum, quoniam mes est.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:05 AM   #3
Senmut
Strike Leader

I think it's called Megaloania, the idea that only "I" can do it right. Moore has this in spades, hence his rendering anything he touches unrecognizeable. As to the Big Mac, well... Let's hope he doesn't reimagine THAT as well!

-Amo patriam meum, quoniam meus est.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2003, 01:11 AM   #4
Bug-Eyed Earl
Shuttle Pilot

I don't believe this to be the same thing, since Roswell struggled to stay on the air for three years, much like the original Trek.
Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2003, 09:06 PM   #5
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

ROSWELL SUCKED DINO EGGS!!!!

Smallville, while lacking in depth at times, at least has some noteworthy pieces of dialog and character interaction.

Sometimes it has that really cheap plot twist that Roswell (and apparently the new Galactica:03) had. I think often the producers/writers of both shows either are not witty enough, not given enough time to write quality scripts, or they sadly misjudge the intellect of their audience.

But at least Smalllvile had some real charismatic characters. And it had nothing to do with the superman legacy. It was characters written in a way that attracts you to them, the same way the old BG was. Clark Kent has that wonderful farm boy, slightly befuddled by his powers, charm. he has that humble quality, But very earnest of heart. And he is the guy who will be out to save you. Lana Lang is very sweet, maybe a tad sultry for being so young, but definitely caring and chariamatic. I love the patience she exudes and how much she cares for Clark. And Lex Luthor is great as the boy with the danger of becoming ruthless, yet he constantly surprises you with his compassion and friendship for his friend Clark.

And what was Roswell once you got past their teeny bopper cast?

BOOOOORING.

Ron Moore needs to take a class in learning how to relate to your audience.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote