Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM   #91
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Default Re: What kindled your interest?

only one? Monolith and I have been talking about building Full sized Vipers lol. Nevermind googling them (not likely to happen anytime soon unfortunately lol)

If you want a ready to go out of the box Blaster, yes, my suggestion would be the BSG.ORG laser. I have one, I love it, it was my first laser lol. (only thing I added to it was a trigger)

If you would like to save a bit of money and do a little assembly then the Wilco Models Laser is almost the exact same laser piece.

You can find them on Ebay fairly regularly. I have been dealing with Wilco for a while now and love all their offerings. In fact I organized a group order that's in the works now. But the price difference between the group order and the Ebay auction is only $5.

If there is anything I can do for you, to further you're costume, just give a yell.

Oh and you've been Recruited by the Galactica to defend the fleet from Baltar and the Cylon Armada. lol

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #92
Orion24
Bad Email Address

The thing that got me Hooked on the show was the Mythology side that was used in the show also the Chariots of the Gods? book by Erich von Däniken which really had a Big influence with the show, Everything back then had to do with U.F.O.'s, Pyramidology, Ancient Astronauts ect. , But the show brought that all together for me and it was also a fun time for me.
Orion24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #93
Benedict
Warrior

Originally, what hooked me was the battles then the drama. When I first watched the 'movie' as a boy of 7-8 I was stunned by the attack on Caprica aided by Stu Phillips' music. But also Starbuck, he was one of my childhood heroes and a part of me still wishes I could be like him.
But mythology, like Orion24, has me hooked with BSG now amongst other things. "What if...life here...began out there?"
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #94
Orion24
Bad Email Address

That's Right Benedict, When it comes down to it, The Show Hit the Air Waves at the Right Time and it was just what I wanted in a SCI-FI Show.
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #95
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

hey Orion, how you doing? I'm not far from you, I'm in Garfield NJ right now, just across the River really (almost at least lol)

Old August 5th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #96
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
hey Orion, how you doing? I'm not far from you, I'm in Garfield NJ right now, just across the River really (almost at least lol)
I'm doing Great Reaper, Yeah, Garfield's a Nice Town. How are you doing?

Bill
Old August 5th, 2009, 09:36 PM   #97
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

When I posted the initial question for this thread, I never imagined that I would post on the same thread nearly 6 years later!

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #98
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

It's the thread that keeps on going BST!
Always have new people coming in!!

Doing good Orion! Just cruising at the moment!

Old August 6th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #99
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Thank's Reaper, I also invited a Friend to Join, This is a Great Site.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #100
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
When I posted the initial question for this thread, I never imagined that I would post on the same thread nearly 6 years later!

Some Threads Never Die BST.
Old August 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #101
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion24 View Post
Thank's Reaper, I also invited a Friend to Join, This is a Great Site.
Glad to hear it! IT is an amazing site! the talent here is amazing!

Old August 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #102
Orion24
Bad Email Address

Yup, I can see that.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM   #103
LZaza
Warrior

I can still remember sitting in the passenger seat of our '68 Monaco, no doubt without a seatbelt, listening to my brother and his friends regaling me with tales of BSG on their way home from the theatre. When the TV series pilot came on, I tuned in to see if the real thing lived up to my expectations.

It surpassed them.

When I was ten, I was caught up in the epic story of people you could identify with crossing the universe, fleeing for their lives, while searching for a future. However, if you'd asked me then what I liked about BSG, I would have grinned inanely and answered in one word, "Starbuck".

Don't get me wrong here, I like sci-fi, but it was the characterizations of BSG that really hooked me. It was their ability to overcome adversity, and to move forward with the tantalizing promise of hope. The characters were laser-proof, and it didn't matter what the universe threw at them, they'd chew it up, spit it out, and go back for seconds the following week. I loved those guys!

Years later when I watched the DVD's after a twenty year estrangement, that same feeling of hope, lightness, luminosity--not really sure how to describe it, but it felt good--suffused me again! It was a welcome time warp, spiraling me back into those feel-good emotions of my childhood. More than anything, that's why I'm still part of the BSG community.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #104
Ramses
Bad Email Address

this show was one of the few I looked forward to watching when I was a kid. Me and my mom would settle in with popcorn everyweek and watch. I loved the characters and the vipers. and even though I grew up with Star Trek and loved it as well. the Galactica and her crew were the Best thing going.

no matter what happens in the future Ill be able to watch this show and remember my mom and remember my childhood fondly.
Ramses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #105
gmd3d
Major

Nice memory thanks for sharing .

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #106
WarMachine
Warrior

This just goes to show that you will eventually click on something in CF, and facesmack the keyboard with "Why didn't I read this earlier?!"

I saw "Saga" in theaters when it first came out - it was the aftermath of Star Wars, and anything sci-fi was good. Then came the debut, and I was hooked. I recall being very upset when it was canceled - my first intro to the wonderful world of tv.

What grabbed me? Even at 11 or 12, what grabbed me was that these weren't Americans in funny clothes - the Colonials were different: different society, different history -- different everything.

Then came the ships...but not the gear. BSG never lived or died on the 'technobabalation of the week' - certain episodes aside - but they developed story and characterization...something other shows simply lack; my yardstick on this is "Would I want to drink/party with these people?" - for BSG, the answer is an overwhelming Yes! - I simply can't think of another show where I would want to knock back a few with pretty much every single person on the show -- not B5, not Farscape, not Firefly, not SAAB, not Stargate (neither movie nor shows), not Trek (in any incarnation), nor Star Wars...Understand, I would love to have a few with certain individuals from certain shows, but not the entire ensemble cast[s], as I would with BSG...even Baltar, before I "Han Solo'd" him.
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #107
Mackon
Just Lost My Cherry!

Parents took me to see a double feature at the Drive-In saw BSG back to back with Flying High.
Mackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #108
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackon View Post
Parents took me to see a double feature at the Drive-In saw BSG back to back with Flying High.
welcome aboard Mackon

Old November 15th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #109
Mackon
Just Lost My Cherry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
welcome aboard Mackon
Thanks Looks like I'm going to spend a lot of time wandering around reading old threads. Every time I turn around there's a title I want to stick my nose into and see what people are saying about a episode or character.
Mackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #110
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackon View Post
Thanks Looks like I'm going to spend a lot of time wandering around reading old threads. Every time I turn around there's a title I want to stick my nose into and see what people are saying about a episode or character.
jump in anywhere.. and have fun

Old October 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #111
Jubal
Warrior

I feel the best way to show how I feel about Battlestar is to comment on points that hit me from what others say. Plus I like talking Battlestar.

RESPONSE TO THE PAGE ONE COMMENTS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
Oh, my response didn't contain what initially got me:

They said John Dykstra was in charge of special effects. That was all they had to say to get me and my brother in control of the TV that one September night.

Dystra & ILM/Apogee did not disappoint; and the story was (IMO) even better than Star Wars.
Forgive me, what was Dykstra known for prior to Battlestar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
My favorites included:

The Living Legend.
War of The Gods.
Gun On Ice Planet Zero.
Lost Planet of The Gods.
Basically Living Legend is worn out on my DVD almost and Gun on Ice Planet Zero is my favorite because muffit saves the day. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg View Post
Just from the promos I could tell something special this way comes.

Bought a VCR just for the occation.
We recorded it on beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359 View Post
Ah, the memories......
Fast forward a few years to the early '80s, after watching Blakes' 7, Dr Who, and re-runs of Star Trek, Space 1999 & Thunderbirds, I was pretty keen on any kind of show with a sci-fi element to it (Logans Run, Jason of Star Command, Salvage 1, etc). ".......
Wow... you know about Jason of Star command and Salvage 1. Again, just wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359 View Post
P.S. The first time I saw 'Greetings From Planet Earth Pt.1', I remember the announcer's message at the end of the show (after the shuttle sets off for Paradeen) - "And Apollo and Starbuck will be in Sleep Mode until the same time, next week".......
That is a neat story teller's trick, letting actual time (the time between two episodes) give the feeling that Apollo and Starbuck are out there, sleeping, waiting till we see them again. I think I remember talking about that in the 2nd grade at recess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries View Post
... No scifi show has yet to equal the sets of BSG with it's rotating Command Center and its Tektronix Vectorscan Computer Display Consoles, Oscilliscopes, Curve Tracers and Spectrum Analyzers. ...
I heard they borrowed flight equipment and simulators for that. And I loved the effect that it gave of that realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrCain View Post
... Even when I was a kid though, the regal but kindly presence of Lorne Greene held my attention whenever he stepped on screen. Although I didn't exactly think of it this way at the time, Greene's Adama seemed like the perfect incarnation of a leader..
What helped on this to a 2nd grader like I was that he was so kind to Boxey. I think Boxey really did give me a gateway to me, a kid, actually being there.

But Adama as I get older, I grow to appreciate what he was as a character more and more. He was crafty, firm, and commanding, yet fair. And something else I get more and more as time goes on, a warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
The less said about the traumatic experience of "Galactica 1980" the better. .
I think it took me a while to see that Galactica 80 was as bad as we came to know it as. I was just happy to see Vipers, blasters, and in the end we got to see Starbuck again. Loved that.

So I plan on writing to the other four pages of responses just picking out the responses that catch my eye. But the basics about me...

ABOUT JUBAL....
-- The First Time Around --

I was in kindergarden when Star Wars came out. I was in the 2nd grade when Battlestar Galactica came out. My dad is the cool influence in my life. He would watch these shows, and I liked them. My dad found Battlestar Galactica, and I watched it.

I was HUGE into C3P0 and R2D2, so I vaguely remember being a little confused when the shiney knights were not the good guys. Weird! I might have wondered where the good knights were, but in time I figured it out.

There were ships flying around, there were explosions, there were robots. I was happy. I was easy to please in the end. :P

I collected Battlestar Galactica cards, and I got really wrapped up in the show. My grades faltered and my parents took up my cards.

I played Battlestar with the kid next door (he had the Viper and Cylon that could fire... they were always slightly better off than us.) I remember being careful not to loose the bullets.

We played Star Wars on the play ground. I played C3P0 and Leia would be kissing on me. I would there saying waving my arms like C3P0...

"OH NO! Master Luke is over there... you don't want me!!" Looking back, she got her hair put in the side buns for me and showed up to kindergarden like that. And then she had a Star Wars party and invited me and other kids and the Star Wars figures were the party favors. She was so cute. I hope I was cool to her but she was afterall a girl... :P

So we continued to play Star Wars up through the 3rd glade, but we also played Battlestar Galactica. And I remember we used to mix them. Soon we were fighting over who would play Starbuck... until we remembered he got the girl. That was a slight deterent. I believe I played a Cylon a few times even. That was fun. I vaguely remember a Leia and Starbuck along with a Han Solo. I might have played Muffit a few times just for fun. :P And I believe the black kid amoung us got to play Boomer.

It was good to be a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, and I thank my dad for making all that fun possible (and for being patient with me most of the time when my creativity got the best of me.)
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #112
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I
Forgive me, what was Dykstra known for prior to Battlestar?
Nothing major.

He just did the SFX for a small, inconsequential film called "Star Wars."

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #113
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Nothing major.

He just did the SFX for a small, inconsequential film called "Star Wars.
Oh ok, so he warmed up a bit before doing the real good work in Battlestar. Very good.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #114
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza View Post

When I was ten, I was caught up in the epic story of people you could identify with crossing the universe, fleeing for their lives, while searching for a future. However, if you'd asked me then what I liked about BSG, I would have grinned inanely and answered in one word, "Starbuck".

Don't get me wrong here, I like sci-fi, but it was the characterizations of BSG that really hooked me. It was their ability to overcome adversity, and to move forward with the tantalizing promise of hope. The characters were laser-proof, and it didn't matter what the universe threw at them, they'd chew it up, spit it out, and go back for seconds the following week. I loved those guys!

This is, in part, what makes BSG superior to SW, IMNSHO. In SW, the Rebels are rebels because they chose to be. Each and every one decided at some point to oppose the Emperor. In BSG, our heroes are there because of events they had no control over. Treachery and Fate have put them where they are, and they try to summon up all that is best in Mankind to overcome and survive. In this fashion, BSG is more akin, in some aspects, to Space:1999, than the others. The "Better angels of our nature" shines through in BSG, in ways it does not, either in SW, or even the original Trek.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:12 AM   #115
Norsehound
Shuttle Pilot

I'm 26 years old. I was born in 1985... some six years after BSG left the airwaves. I don't have any fond memories of seeing it in theaters, or on re-runs, or anything like that.

It all began with some knock-off CD of collected Sci-fi soundtracks. I dunno where my dad found it or why he bought it but he was a sci fi fan. Maybe it was to please me when I was a kid, since I was a Trek fan and there was a trek track on it.

But so was a version of the Battlestar Galactica theme.

I had an active imagination so I knew "Battlestar" sounded cool. I poked around and eventually saw it. I became a fan of the original ever since.

...like TOS Star Trek I don't remember the cheesey elements. What I remember is the grand overtones of Biblical Mythology happening to a sister civilization of man far out in space. I remember the stand off between Adama and Apollo against count Iblis as he wore a pleasing face. I remember the craggy Commander Cain and the Battlestar Pegasus.

What I don't remember clearly my imagination fills in the blanks for, in between views. It also works when I have BSG playing in the background since it's uncommon nowadays for me to sit down and just watch a show completely with my undivided attention.

BSG is a marvelous seed of an idea that speaks of an epic premise. A civilization where robes were just as formal as buisnesswear today, and there's still great reverence for mysticism (which is largely dead by contemporary society today). A struggle in the night to keep the darkness from eclipsing the last group of man.

the 1979 presentation could do wonders in the hands of a modern audience dedicated to recreating the original ideas. There would be no place for child sidekicks and klunky daggit costumes, but there would be heroes taking hits but still standing because they have to, for the sake of the last group of humankind.

Earth? Not necessarily a desperate lie to keep the people occupied... but someplace that has to exist because belief tells us so.

And we know that belief is not always transient, since there has to be more to the Ship of Lights than just higher technology.

Even if my generation flocks to Moore's BSG as the galactica of their generation I'm still going to carry the torch of what the original could have been. Maybe someday I'll help in making the spiritual successor, and the idea can flourish as it should have.

Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:59 PM   #116
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

What a wonderfuil story.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old February 24th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #117
Benedict
Warrior

excellent, Norsehound, excellent.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #118
Norsehound
Shuttle Pilot

*shrugs* I figured I should say something as a young guy whose into the old show. RDM doesn't have claim over everyone in my generation
Norsehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #119
Senmut
Strike Leader

Welcome to reality, Norse. See ya in the OC!

P.S. Was the album entitled Star Wars and other Galactic Funk?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #120
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsehound View Post
*shrugs* I figured I should say something as a young guy whose into the old show. RDM doesn't have claim over everyone in my generation
Much of "my generation" would smile and say thanks for restoring our faith in the younger folks.

Sleep now
They are calling