Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 18th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #1
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Thumbs up Tom DeSanto Script review (part 1)

Here is Part 1 of KORN_FAN2’s review of the third script that was written for the pilot movie of Battlestar Galactica. His opinion favors the second script that was written for the production, but he reviewed the third script because the fans asked for this version to be reviewed. He notes that the third script is sloppy in some places and speculates that it never got reworked because of the announcement last April 2. He also speculated that this script seemed a tad bit long for a 2-hour Tele-movie.

This script was written after Bryan Singer’s departure and Fox pulling the plug.

He would like to acknowledge and give thanks to the Sci-Fi Channel for that week long marathon in February and Susan Paxton’s Battlezone Web-site for giving him better insight on the original series.

So here it is.

From Korn_Fan2:

I guess I will start by saying the Original series was a victim of many circumstances.
It was a victim of it’s own time with the disco music in outer space, Those long feathered back hair dos among both the women and the men. I even noticed that some of those extra Warriors in the background bare a striking resemblance to Kelso from That 70s Show.

It was a victim of greed. The original plan for Battlestar Galactica was to be series of Tele-movies but instead ABC execs took a gamble and reformatted it for an on going weekly series. ABC gambled and Battlestar Galactica lost. The rush production resulted in a handful of one-hour episodes that I would rather forget. The reusing of stocked visual effect footage was an insult to the viewers and the fans as well. However this show had heart and there are many memorable episodes that I like to praise such as the 3-hour pilot, Lost Planet of the Gods, The Living Legend, War of the Gods and the final episode that was ever produced. On the other hand as much as I liked the premise of the original series, I am forced to agree with Ronald D Moore and I did find the original to be a tad bit candy coated.

On the other hand Bryan Singer, Danny Angel, Billy Brown and Tom DeSanto previously shared that same opinion and sought out to fix the many flaws the original series had but they intended to keep the original themes, premise and timeline intact.

Let me start by saying this new version was not going to be candy coated like the original series. This version was not for entire family viewing. From my own experience it was intended for the ages of 14 to 40 crowd. It’s targeted audience were for the die hard fans, the casual viewer and a younger breed of science fiction fans who are sick and tired of the recent incarnations of Star Trek and/or not impressed with the mindless crap that the Sci-Fi Channel serves to their viewers. (excluding Star Gate and Farscape).

As far as calling this a continuation of the original series, I would have to say yes, but also a big No. This is a show that needed to stand out on it’s own and in many ways there are significant differences. Tom took huge steps in making this planned production far different from the original series but in a brilliant way he managed to integrate many elements of the original series that would of made it very recognizable as Battlestar Galactica.

This pilot has the feel of The X-Files (with horror elements and conspiracies) meets Space Above And Beyond meets the original Battlestar Galactica series, being the backbone of DeSanto’s vision.

First off I want I am changing the names of most of the new characters and Cylon species for two reasons. Reason one will be clear after reading this review and reason two is for holding out hope that Tom DeSanto will someday get the chance to show his vision to the fans that kept the spirit alive for all this time.

As for the characters, you will find that many of the heroes have many flaws and they are a reflection of today’s society. Also you will find that some of these characters are written to be either the original or a completely new character because the writers were anticipating Network interference. The Tigh character is a prime example. If the networks didn’t allow Mr. Carter to reprise his role as Tigh, Tom would have rewritten him as an entirely new character or be forced to recast the role.

Characters

Adama - Wise, noble and religious. The highest ranking and most respectable Colonial in the military. It was his wisdom and guidance that saved mankind from the holocaust. Ever since the colonizing on New Kobal, he still clings on to his belief that the Cylons will return and the quest for Earth must go on. Sadly Adama is dying of a terminal illness. (President Roslin anyone?)

Athena - The last surviving family member of Adama’s family. She serves on the bridge as Colonel and is third in command of the Galactica. She shares a strong bond with her father.

(Viewers who are just tuning in will learn that she was once a Colonial Warrior that flew off on missions. The old-time viewers of the original series will have to assume that she became a Colonial Warrior sometime between the events of The Hand of God and DeSanto’s pilot movie)

Skyler - The Captain of Blue Squadron. Orphaned since the holocaust of the 12 colonies. An honorable warrior and a lot like Apollo from the original series except he isn’t the sensitive type like Apollo.

Troy (Boxey) lieutenant of Blue Squadron. This young brat from the original series has grown up to have a cocky attitude. He is always taking heavy risks and tries to outshine the other members of Blue Squadron.
Although argues a lot with Skyler, they share a close friendship.

Murph – (I changed this name from the script but described him according to the script) - a brash young lieutenant of Blue Squadron. A full-fledged pervert, he spends most of his off duty time getting laid or trying to find ways of getting laid. (A nod to Night Court’s Dan Feilding) Like the most of the pilots in the original series, when the red alert sirens go off he immediately goes above and beyond the call of duty.

Tara – (I changed this name from the script but described her according to the script) - a headstrong female lieutenant of Blue Squadron with a long list of reprimands. She is always questioning authority and has a wicked temper. She is romantically involved with Skyler, but they are always butting heads because of her headstrong attitude versus Skyler's military by the book attitude.

(Note She reminds me of Ronald D Moore’s Kara Thrace except she does not go around slugging superior officers)

Starbuck - once a great Warrior and considered a legend among the new generation of Colonial Warriors. Starbuck spent some prior years marooned on wasteland planet until the Cylons finally captured him.
He spent the following years as a Cylon prisoner and underwent several interrogations, torture, and experiment procedures before making his escape and finding his way to New Kobal. Upon his arrival on New Kobal he has learned that most of his friends and one true love Cassiopeia are long dead. He left the Military and spends most of his time at the Rising Star drinking, gambling and womanizing. He was the last person to ever see his best friend Apollo while he was still a prisoner of the Cylons.

To be continued with the rest of the description of characters and a plot summery

-Ronald D. Moore-

Last edited by Scooter2000; April 18th, 2003 at 07:12 AM..
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:38 AM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

DeSanto knew what he was doing. Moore doesn't have a clue.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #3
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Default Re: Tom DeSanto Script review (part 1)

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter2000
A full-fledged pervert, he spends most of his off duty time getting laid or trying to find ways of getting laid. (A nod to Night Court’s Dan Feilding)

Just because there was a pervert among the characters, it doesn't mean that their were explicit sex scenes, handjobs and or rape scenes.

I think this character was written for comediec purposes and I think that Tom DeSanto has a little more class than Ron.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:09 AM   #4
Dennis
Bad Email Address

Does spending most of one's free time getting laid or in the pursuit make one a pervert?

Not that I'd know -- I spend my life online. Just checking.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #5
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
Does spending most of one's free time getting laid or in the pursuit make one a pervert?

Not that I'd know -- I spend my life online. Just checking.
No this guy is pervert. That's all this guy talks about and he boinked three different women within the first hour in the script.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #6
Dennis
Bad Email Address

Quote:
No this guy is pervert. That's all this guy talks about and he boinked three different women within the first hour in the script.
Damn. He could at least settle for a handjob once in a while.
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #7
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

It seems like he was setting just the kind of tone that i'd have imagined after seeing X-Men.
It also seems that Mr Moore must have been farmiliar with Mr.Desanto's drafts because the paralels between Starbuck, Paul Tigh Adama and Rosilin are quite shocking.
Muroh and Tara seem like a direction they the new production mught take with "Kara" and "Lee"

I am sure if this had come to light early on the hardcore fans would have mobilized to ruin the production sooner than they had, since some of what he was doing is in large part what the fans were most vocal against with moores script.
Stuff like i cant watch it with my kids and a hero who is a drunk.
And i am sure there would have been more visible displays of intemacy since fix wasnt too afraid of stuff like that.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #8
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
DeSanto knew what he was doing. Moore doesn't have a clue.
No i think he knew exactly what he was doing.
From what i can tell he recycled a lot of elements of DeSantos work anyway.
And judging from your reaction what i've said in the past seems more true.
If moore had written his script as a continuation handjobs, sex and drunks included. He might have been praised for his edgyness.

But more likly he would have been shouted down just not as quickly

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #9
adjudicator
On Vacation...

Default I prefer this to Moores

I prefer dasanto to moores version, at least he is not pretraying the cylons as being able to seduce humans. *sigh*

"BSG, is like your american salad bar, I take what I like and scrap the rest." The Ron Moore version
adjudicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #10
the3rdhuman
Bad Email Address

Default I consider this torture

Oh what could have been.

Agonizing! I don't think I want part 2.
the3rdhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 10:41 AM   #11
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito

And judging from your reaction what i've said in the past seems more true.
If moore had written his script as a continuation handjobs, sex and drunks included. He might have been praised for his edgyness.

But more likly he would have been shouted down just not as quickly
Hito, yes there is one character that has a lot of sex in this story but there weren’t any racey scenes. Tom DeSanto was able to describe this character to the audience as a pervert with out actually showing the sex scenes.

It's like Dan Fielding in Night Court. Everyone knew he was a pervert. Everyone knew he was always having sex in his office, in his car and in the Janitor's closet but the viewer never actually witnessed it.

Yes I also agree that DeSanto's vision wasn't exactly family friendly but I disagree with KF2's statement about the targeted audience being 14 and up.

IMHO I would give it a PG13 rating.

As for Starbuck, he was a drunken manic-depressive when he was reintroduced to the audience, but upon the Cylon's return he is one of the first people to jump inside a viper. (Actually he steals a viper).

-Ronald D. Moore-

Last edited by Scooter2000; April 18th, 2003 at 10:55 AM..
Old April 18th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #12
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

damn I gotta see this story.
It sounds great.

dont forget tho Paul Tigh also pulls it together in the end when the cylons attack.

Old April 18th, 2003, 10:55 AM   #13
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
As for Starbuck, he was a drunken manic-depressive when he was reintroduced to the audience, but upon the Cylon's return he is one of the first people to jump inside a viper. (Actually he steals a viper).
Stealing a viper to go after Cylons: Yep, now THAT IS Starbuck. Upset that he can't do anything for his best friend: That's Starbuck too.

Thank Korn Fan & tell him I feel better already about Apollo in DeSanto's version. If Starbuck got back, Apollo might too. (and now I have complete proof that they need each other.

Oh, what might...... I can't bear to complete that sentence.

It would have rolled in the cash.....over & over, world wide. Alas....
Jewels
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:15 AM   #14
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I also prefer this to the Moore version but I think a lot of improvements could be made here. I can see why this got some resistance.

Two-Brain
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #15
Dennis
Bad Email Address

You know, maybe we should have one topic for discussing this and another for the posting of the synopsis. I'd hate for the posting of further information to get bogged down as a result of the debates.

Or not. It's just a thought.
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #16
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBrainedCylon
I also prefer this to the Moore version but I think a lot of improvements could be made here. I can see why this got some resistance.

Two-Brain
Sandy this was a third script that was written for the pilot.

Quote:
[ [/i]
His opinion favors the second script that was written for the production, but he reviewed the third script because the fans asked for this version to be reviewed.
Quote:
[ [/i]
He notes that the third script is sloppy in some places and speculates that it never got reworked because of the announcement last April 2.

It seems that Tom DeSanto never got the chance to make those improvements after last April.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #17
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Tom DeSanto Script review (part 1)

Quote:
Here is Part 1 of KORN_FAN2’s review of the third script that was written for the pilot movie of Battlestar Galactica. His opinion favors the second script that was written for the production, but he reviewed the third script because the fans asked for this version to be reviewed....

Characters

Athena - The last surviving family member of Adama’s family. She serves on the bridge as Colonel and is third in command of the Galactica. She shares a strong bond with her father.

(Viewers who are just tuning in will learn that she was once a Colonial Warrior that flew off on missions. The old-time viewers of the original series will have to assume that she became a Colonial Warrior sometime between the events of The Hand of God and DeSanto’s pilot movie)
Scooter: please tell Korn that Athena was already a bridge officer, Adama's shuttle pilot & warrior & had occaisional stints in the pilot's seat of a viper, most notably in Lost Planet of the Gods. She was always considered to be "more valuable on the bridge" so wasn't out in the fray much.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #18
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Default Re: Re: Tom DeSanto Script review (part 1)

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Scooter: please tell Korn that Athena was already a bridge officer, Adama's shuttle pilot & warrior & had occaisional stints in the pilot's seat of a viper, most notably in Lost Planet of the Gods. She was always considered to be "more valuable on the bridge" so wasn't out in the fray much.
In DeSanto's Script, it's been stated that she flew in many battles and she was a good Warrior in her time.

I don't remember this in the original series.

Anyway Maren Jenson was never considered to reprise the role.

Back when BSG was in Fox's hand Jenifer Hetrick (Star Trek:TNG's Vash and LA Law) was up for the role.

I think it would of worked considering that she is a better actress than Jenson.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 18th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #19
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Maren Jensen

Larson also had plans to replace her in season 2. I wonder who he was going to hire?
Old April 18th, 2003, 12:26 PM   #20
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Default Re: Re: Re: Tom DeSanto Script review (part 1)

Quote:
In DeSanto's Script, it's been stated that she flew in many battles and she was a good Warrior in her time.

Back when BSG was in Fox's hand Jenifer Hetrick (Star Trek:TNG's Vash and LA Law) was up for the role.

I think it would of worked considering that she is a better actress than Jenson.
And she was also very attractive.
Not in the same way as Jenson who was just pure hotness.
She had this kind of clasical beauty.
Very statuesq i suppose.

I think Dennis has a good idea i will split these this thread into a debate and a review thread and stick the review thread to the top of the forum

Old April 18th, 2003, 01:09 PM   #21
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Re: Re: Tom DeSanto Script review (part 1)

Quote:

I was just pointing out that he is developing what had been started in TOS. LPotG insinuates that the female pilot squadron's maiden launch would have been her first viper pilot launch. Serina states that "your sister is a warrior and a pilot" [note that this was in arguement over Serina becoming a shuttle pilot, prior to the whole viper pilot infection/training of the females.] We have all that intervening time btwn. HoG and now, she'd have had time to become a good pilot too.

Maren would never have wanted to be considered from what I've heard. She's out of the 'biz and likes it that way.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old April 18th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #22
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Tom DeSanto Script review (part 1)

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
I was just pointing out that he is developing what had been started in TOS. LPotG insinuates that the female pilot squadron's maiden launch would have been her first viper pilot launch.
I guess we can both agree that Tom was further developing her character.

This is what you would call one of Tom's way of improving the flaws that the original series had.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Old April 18th, 2003, 01:24 PM   #23
jewels

Colonial Fleets

And further developing is what we wanted to happen to the characters, the story, the journey...

That's the whole point: to continue the story, not the 70s hair.

Yea, Scooter, we agree. :walmart:

I'd have loved to see Tom's Galactica if X-men is any reflection of the depth of the man's creative vision.

Old April 18th, 2003, 03:22 PM   #24
Krystal
Bad Email Address

I definitely like this more than Moore version, it have the mix of new and old characters. And by the descriptions it have some similarities with the original Galactica. I definitely would give it a try to this. Is a shame it wasn't choose. At least is better than what have the green light.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 03:26 PM   #25
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I just read a new review of X-2 over at AICN.
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15001

The depth of character they were able to pull off with X-1 is incredable given the time constraints of the movie format.
I'd have loved to see what they could have done with the episodic television format, or even more interesting would be to see what they could do with the multiple tele-movie format Larson had in mind.

Old April 18th, 2003, 04:59 PM   #26
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default OMG, I'm Melting....

"And she was also very attractive.
Not in the same way as Jenson who was just pure hotness.
She had this kind of clasical beauty.
Very statuesq i suppose."

Ack, something's wrong, I agree with Hito....

<-----Banging my head on my desk...

Something is wrong....
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #27
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Stealing A Viper

I knew I heard that somewhere. Actually I read it in Resurrection. Starbuck steals a ship to rescue Dalton from the Cylons. Sadly he dies shortly afterwards. Fear not though because he is resurrected later in the novel.
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #28
XANATOS

I WISH POPLE WOULD KILLING OF STARBUCK

XANATOS
Old April 18th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #29
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

pardon?

Old April 18th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #30
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Cant wait for part two.

Notice how DeSanto can set up a Battlestar Galactica that is clearly his yet not piss off every fan who remembers the original...amazing!
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote