Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

View Poll Results: How do I like Battlestar Galactica?
The original show was great, the new show is a ripoff 61 38.85%
I loved the old show, but am ambivalent about the new one 14 8.92%
Loved the old, new is enh, but would support both being made 14 8.92%
Liked the old show, and I like the new one too! Lets have both go into production in 2004! 36 22.93%
Old show okay and would support its revival but Love the NEW show! 22 14.01%
Don't care either way about the old show, Just give me more of the new one! 5 3.18%
The old show was flawed, just give me the new show! 5 3.18%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #121
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

There can only be one Galactica. Remember the Sinatra song Love and Marriage? The main lyrics were "Love and marriage you can't have one without the other." The old show was LOVE the new MARRIAGE. Well there is no love from this fan for the new show. In other words these two versions can't live happily ever after. Galactica 1980 has more of a chance and is superior in many ways. At least it was Glen's work.
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #122
"T"
Shuttle Pilot

Galactica 1980 was PANTS the new Show is 2X better than that utter garbage!

Love and marriage ok......Well maybe the New Galactica is the lovers tiff?

-"T"-
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #123
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
There can only be one Galactica. Remember the Sinatra song Love and Marriage? The main lyrics were "Love and marriage you can't have one without the other." The old show was LOVE the new MARRIAGE. Well there is no love from this fan for the new show. In other words these two versions can't live happily ever after. Galactica 1980 has more of a chance and is superior in many ways. At least it was Glen's work.
Well said Kingfish .........well said.
Old February 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM   #124
Ian_W359
Warrior

Heart

Now having seen all the mini - I'm not sure what to vote for exactly, my head and my heart seem to have different ideas.....

I tried to watch the show as something new. Okay, I'll admit that part 2 was better than part 1 - (nice to see some good old ships back thanks to you know who) but overall, despite the show being technically competent in places, I still personally feel that there was something lacking, compared to the original. I didn't feel overly emotional watching the mini - except some shock & surprise in parts.

So I think I'll go with #1 - while I won't hold it against anyone if they enjoy the mini & follow-up series, it just won't have the same recipe that kept the original Galactica's memory alive for the past 25 years.

All the best - with respect,
Ian W359
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:11 PM   #125
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359
Now having seen all the mini - I'm not sure what to vote for exactly, my head and my heart seem to have different ideas.....

I tried to watch the show as something new. Okay, I'll admit that part 2 was better than part 1 - (nice to see some good old ships back thanks to you know who) but overall, despite the show being technically competent in places, I still personally feel that there was something lacking, compared to the original. I didn't feel overly emotional watching the mini - except some shock & surprise in parts.

So I think I'll go with #1 - while I won't hold it against anyone if they enjoy the mini & follow-up series, it just won't have the same recipe that kept the original Galactica's memory alive for the past 25 years.

All the best - with respect,
Ian W359
Thanks for your input Ian ........it is MUCH appreciated
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:34 PM   #126
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianG
Don and Tom,

Thanks for reopening CF! Glad to see you're back!

As for the poll, the first option is the only one right for me.

Thanks again, and good luck!

Tony
Hey LucianG!!!

Glad to have you back!!!!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:42 PM   #127
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

welcome home Lucian!
Old February 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM   #128
Rowan
On Vacation...

“Something lacking” Has anyone considered the possibility that we don’t feel the same way about it because we are not the same people we were 25 yrs ago, we were kids impressionable, wide eyed, full of imagination, now that we are older we can see the flaws easily and right away we don’t have wait to grow up and look back and then critique and even when we do it’s with nostalgia and somewhat rose coloured glasses, who wants to pick apart their childhood heroes? just a thought
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:15 PM   #129
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelen
“Something lacking” Has anyone considered the possibility that we don’t feel the same way about it because we are not the same people we were 25 yrs ago, we were kids impressionable, wide eyed, full of imagination, now that we are older we can see the flaws easily and right away we don’t have wait to grow up and look back and then critique and even when we do it’s with nostalgia and somewhat rose coloured glasses, who wants to pick apart their childhood heroes? just a thought
You made a good Point Gaelen .............however .
that being said .............if those scenes had been
in the TOS...........then MY PARENTS would not
have let me watch it. It is because there were
no scenes along that calibre that I "WAS" allowed
to watch it and why I grew to love the program
so.

And with............. two little girls 8 and 6 ........
of my own....I made the decision NOT to watch the MINI due to the TV14
rating ..........and the POOR SCRIPT............Poor plot .............etc.

I was almost willing to watch the Mini .........
then someone pm'd me and sent me the script they downloaded.

Seeing the hand job, baltar writhing in his chair, the baby killing ...........
the numerous sex scenes besides the afore mentioned themes..........
that was enough for me.

I have two young girls to raise.
They need to realize that there's more to them
then what MTV and Moore and Hammer are
trying to push on them.

I want them to be able to stand on their own
by their deeds and actions. I can't be a good
example to them if I allow them to see TV14
programs that only promote Sex and violance.

They need to see that there is a better way
and as a Parent I am responsible for pointing
them in the right direction............and away
from programs that any person with commen
sense can see is inappropiate for children and
even some teenagers to see.
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:56 PM   #130
Rowan
On Vacation...

I whole heartedly agree with you, as a child I wasn’t even aloud to watch Batman and Robin because my mother felt it was too violent. I have equally strong feelings about children viewing such things, and certainly this rendition is not for kids which is definitely sad because I would very much like to see a new generation of kids growing up with their own Sci fi shows, making their own memories. There was no need for all the Baltar/Cylon action they could have made it sexy without going all the way, we would have gotten the idea no one needed to take their clothes off, except that they had just hired a supermodel and probably felt they need to get their moneys worth, have you seen her portfolio?!
Old February 21st, 2004, 07:10 PM   #131
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I whole heartedly agree with you, as a child I wasn’t even aloud to watch Batman and Robin because my mother felt it was too violent. I have equally strong feelings about children viewing such things, and certainly this rendition is not for kids which is definitely sad because I would very much like to see a new generation of kids growing up with their own Sci fi shows, making their own memories. There was no need for all the Baltar/Cylon action they could have made it sexy without going all the way, we would have gotten the idea no one needed to take their clothes off, except that they had just hired a supermodel and probably felt they need to get their moneys worth, have you seen her portfolio?!
I haven 't seen her portfolio .........although from the reviews that she's had
I'm sure she is a good actress ...........just not 'GOOD ENOUGH" for 'my'
children to see ................. in the MINI anyway.
Old February 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM   #132
Rowan
On Vacation...

I find it interesting to observe that I’m still struggling to accept the new Battlestar Galactica despite having loved it. The similarities and differences are bugging me so my brain keeps trying to rationalise it so that I can like it without it bugging me

Someone else said something similar I’m elaborating/ fleshing it out

The latest idea that I’ve come up with is this.

Many years before the first Cylon attack in the OS there was a difference of opinion amongst the 12 colonies there were those who did not believe… they did not agree with the way their society was structured were not religious and were more militaristic. Now this group of dissidents decide to leave the twelve colonies and find their own planetary system to colonize and never look back. they all shared the same cultural backgrounds which had some traditions they liked and kept. One of these was the use of call sings which in their culture are passed down and reused like hockey jersey numbers there were many Apollo’s and Starbucks (not on the same ship though) and the names of Battleships. Of course (like us) many family names were common like Adama and Baltar. But there were other aspects of their culture that they wanted changed and to help create their own identity and culture they changed some terminology like time references (centon, yarn , sp?etc.) over time they became a distinct society with their own identity similar but different than their ancestors (tos). After the cylons attacked the twelve colonies they went in search of other humans and planets and came across this new group of humans (mini) now they knew from experience that the trick to killing humans was to get inside their defences, but they had to try a different tactic than the one they used on the other Baltar (tos) this Baltar had a different weakness so they exploited it just the same with the same results and we pick up in the new series and follow what happened to these people we all ready know what happened to the twelve colonies and the other Galactica and when the continuation series starts well be able to find out what happened to them since we last saw them. How does that do? Does that work? I know I feel better for now, unless they actually adopt that take it’s going to niggle at my brain.
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #133
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I find it interesting to observe that I’m still struggling to accept the new Battlestar Galactica despite having loved it. The similarities and differences are bugging me so my brain keeps trying to rationalise it so that I can like it without it bugging me

Someone else said something similar I’m elaborating/ fleshing it out

The latest idea that I’ve come up with is this.

Many years before the first Cylon attack in the OS there was a difference of opinion amongst the 12 colonies there were those who did not believe… they did not agree with the way their society was structured were not religious and were more militaristic. Now this group of dissidents decide to leave the twelve colonies and find their own planetary system to colonize and never look back. they all shared the same cultural backgrounds which had some traditions they liked and kept. One of these was the use of call sings which in their culture are passed down and reused like hockey jersey numbers there were many Apollo’s and Starbucks (not on the same ship though) and the names of Battleships. Of course (like us) many family names were common like Adama and Baltar. But there were other aspects of their culture that they wanted changed and to help create their own identity and culture they changed some terminology like time references (centon, yarn , sp?etc.) over time they became a distinct society with their own identity similar but different than their ancestors (tos). After the cylons attacked the twelve colonies they went in search of other humans and planets and came across this new group of humans (mini) now they knew from experience that the trick to killing humans was to get inside their defences, but they had to try a different tactic than the one they used on the other Baltar (tos) this Baltar had a different weakness so they exploited it just the same with the same results and we pick up in the new series and follow what happened to these people we all ready know what happened to the twelve colonies and the other Galactica and when the continuation series starts well be able to find out what happened to them since we last saw them. How does that do? Does that work? I know I feel better for now, unless they actually adopt that take it’s going to niggle at my brain.
If you like the Mini and the Original that's fine.
I think you're posts are insightful whether or not I agree with you.
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:14 AM   #134
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
If you like the Mini and the Original that's fine.
I think you're posts are insightful whether or not I agree with you.
I was hopping it would make you feel a little better (picture a little sad face here)
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:50 AM   #135
Antelope

[QUOTE=Gaelen]I find it interesting to observe that I’m still struggling to accept the new Battlestar Galactica despite having loved it. The similarities and differences are bugging me so my brain keeps trying to rationalise it so that I can like it without it bugging me ---End Quote---

I think this is the thought that many Galactica fans can't get past. I like a lot of your concepts. Personally I think the easiest think for me as a TOS and mini fan to accept is that the mini universe is an "alternate history". To me it says: what would happen if the armistice at the start of Saga of a Star World was real, not a ruse. I accept that the names of the characters are common names in the colonies and that mini Commander Adama, Lee Adama, Kara Thrace, etc. are totally different individuals from their namesakes in TOS. In the alternate history of the mini the TOS charcaters have long since retired from the military. The original Adama is long since dead and Apollo and Starbuck if alive would be in their late 60's. The last name Adama may be common or the Adamas of the mini would be some kind of distant relatives. It is even theoretically possible that the mini Adama is TOS Apollo's son and Lee his grandson. The mini would be like reading the fantasy novels you see where the South won the Civil War or the Nazis World War II. The only issue that doesn't fit neatly into an alternate history is the origin of the cylons. Since it doesn't impact the actual story however it is not an issue in my mind. I think if some of the "purist" could view the mini this way it would reduce the anger some still harbor.

Many look at BSG1980 as an alternate history that never happened. As such however you can still enjoy the "Return of Starbuck" episode in its own right without being concerned about its impact on the TOS universe.

Old February 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #136
Fedaykin

Hi all,

Just had a shower so I am all warm and fluffy, just wanted to throw a few thoughts to the mix.

I noticed that a few people posting that the mini had a poor script/story, in the end thats their view but I justed wanted to say that there are many people like myself who thought the new script/story is fantastic. I think that people need to be sensative to the fact that this is a web forum for all fans, if people don't like the new version they don't need to constantly go on about it.

Another thing that comes to mind is the common line from fans "I read the script and didn't like it hence I won't watch the new show". After reading this many times I'm getting tired of it. A script posted on the web is often wrong or a poor representation of the actual show - nuff said!

As for the more adult level of story that the mini is showing I'm really pleased. I'm an adult and I'm fed up of all TV having to be censored to the hilt. I feel that they should be congratulated for taking a risk. This takes me to a further point people who have read a script and not watched the show often site some certain scenes as the reason why it shouldn't be watched because of their shocking nature. In each case either the scene was not actually in the show or blown out of all proportion.

1)There was no handjob in the Mini - I know what one looks like and I didn't see it in the mini!

2)Baltar Writhing in a chair - no writhing in a chair I'm afraid, there was a moment where we see No 6 pushing Baltar onto a bed and her climbing onto him which was rather sexy. And that was it nothing more they cut to the next scene, whilst I agree that a child younger 13 shouldn't be allowed to watch it a teenager would have seen more in an Episode of Friends. Which brings me back to the point why should I have to suffer because a 6 year old who should be in bed is watching it. This also doesn't count the fact that as a European I had sex education lessons at the age of eleven at my Primary School so truly don't understand America's prudish and backwards outlook at all things sexual.

3)The baby killing scene - Yes this did happen but it has been blown out of all proportion. The scene needs to be taken in context, the impression people give is that the baby was bashed to death by a Cylon gore and all! This isn't true you don't actually see the baby being killed. In the scene No 6 is walking through a Plaza and sees a baby in a pram, as she leans over the proud mother allows No 6 to hold the baby (No 6 makes a comment along the lines of how fragile it looks and how the mother won't have to worry soon). The baby is placed back in the pram and that's the last we see of it. The mother is then distracted by the father who calls her to another part of the plaza. With the mother away the camera angle changes to a back angle of the pram and we see No 6 reach into followed by a quiet click. No 6 then walks away and the mother returns, she looks into the pram and screams for help. We can't see into the pram ourselves when this happens and the scene ends with No 6 walking into the crowd. In the context of the scene firstly this is the first time No 6 has seen a baby and is surprised by it's size. Through the entire scene No 6 expresses no hostility towards the baby or mother and in her backwards Cylon way of thinking is doing them both a favour. When I first watched the scene it took me a second or two to realise that the baby had been killed and any child watching the scene wouldn't even realise this had happened. A none event in the end as anybody would of realised if they had watched it happen!

In the end I feel people are just trying to create excuses not to watch the mini, if you don't want to watch it DON'T WATCH IT! Just stop posting all sorts of silly justifications on spurious evidence. I'm not forcing you to watch it (your loss in my opinion but fair enough this is the free world) but the "I'm not watching it because....." line is getting tiresome. It boils down to personal taste and I'm tired of people saying that something that I really enjoyed is Bad when I enjoyed it.

Please understand I'm not trying to get at anyone and I'm having alot of fun discussing the new show on Colonial fleets with other fans but some of the arguments are getting self defeating and slightly childish.

Old February 28th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #137
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

*whew* that was a mouthful and I respect your opinion. I gave the mini a chance but I became bored with it. I am one of the Americans that have had sex on TV and in the movies shoved down my throat everytime I went to a movie or turned on a TV and I just wanted to see the action as in the original series with the sexual content staying subliminal. I will give the TV series a chance also, because having BSG in any form is better than not at all. I am just hoping that the action over shadows the sex. Action ,I can't get in reality...sex I can. But the ones that whine about the mini also have the right to say it and I respect their opinions also..... that is what this forum is for....the freedom to voice.
Old February 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #138
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin
Hi all,

In the end I feel people are just trying to create excuses not to watch the mini, if you don't want to watch it DON'T WATCH IT! Just stop posting all sorts of silly justifications on spurious evidence. I'm not forcing you to watch it (your loss in my opinion but fair enough this is the free world) but the "I'm not watching it because....." line is getting tiresome. It boils down to personal taste and I'm tired of people saying that something that I really enjoyed is Bad when I enjoyed it.

Please understand I'm not trying to get at anyone and I'm having alot of fun discussing the new show on Colonial fleets with other fans but some of the arguments are getting self defeating and slightly childish.
Hi Fedaykin

I’ve read the draft and watched the mini and your right about the draft script
being very different than the mini. For one thing Starbuck has a fair relationship with the xo there is understanding between them and in my opinion Starbuck is far more likable in the script. I agree with most of your description of the scenes you list here. But I feel uncomfortable when someone tells someone else what they should or should not be saying with regards to their feelings, especially when it is qualified with derogatory adjectives. It makes for an unpleasant atmosphere and alienates everyone. I’m pleased that you enjoy posting here but please remember you can express yourself and your opinion without stepping on someone else’s. We are turning over a new leaf here and aiming for good manners and courtesy. Hope to here more good posts from you
Old February 28th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #139
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I agree Gaelen. We need to try and turn over a new leaf here. I know that with 28 posts Fedaykin was not here during the war which ensued with the hate and negativity that almost destroyed this board. The mini was made and there is no changing that, but still everyone has their beliefs and, here, we want everyone to feel comfortable to talk about them...and that means letting them say their thoughts without name calling. This is just a reminder that no one here is childish in their feelings and we cherish each and everyone of you. There are plenty of places to go here to discuss without feeling you are trapped to post in certain threads......and Fedaykin I am not picking on you personally but since your last post was construed in a negative light, I am using it as an example. There is enough variety in the threads here to satisfy everyone.You need to know that this board almost closed because of this sort of thing. We have a place here to come and feel safe from all the negativity that goes on in other boards. We are fans of Galactica plain and simple...mini or original, it doesn't matter...We are very glad that you are here and we hope that you stay around for a long time. Get to know everybody. We are all different, but the one thing that brings us here is Galactica.......

Em
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #140
Fedaykin

Hi,

In many ways the intention of my last post was to get thing's off my chest, I agree that this web forum is very much about turning a new leaf. I know I wasn't on this forum when things were at it's hottest but things are done now.

Its just I feel (and I'm not picking anyone out here) a them and us complex amongst some posters (and I do understand that some are trying to avoid this - but it comes over anyway) and whilst I do feel people should be free to be critiacal of the mini and even dislike it I am tired of people using the same circular arguments about it.

It doesent help anyone saying that you hated the script or despise Ron Moore twenty times, that point has been covered over and over and over again. Also in the end it really bugs me when people make in depth critical comments about a show (any show not just BSG)when they haven't even watched it. Especially when scenes are mentioned as shocking or unacceptable when this simply isn't the case.

The sex and violence is not just a matter of BSG but covers the whole media industry, personally I'm with the group of thought that dislikes censorship and restrictions on content (Obviously within reason I'm not saying porno should be shown on childrens TV). I want to see TV made by adults for adults hence my excitement about the new BSG.

I want to see a happy web community but I do feel that there needs to be a bit of soul searching.

Old February 28th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #141
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Thumbs up

And now you know why Em was a moderator here for such a long time.

One of the things we do not want to do is dismiss anyone's feelings as irrelevant. That leads to angry words and a level of conflict we don't want here. Fedaykin may not have been offended by the graphic nature and content of some of the scenes, but there were many people who were; everyone is free to express how they felt about it, as long as they don't do so by attacking.

We have "turned over a new leaf" here - we aren't going to permit the kind of slams, flames, or fighting that came before. If you want to talk about BSG in any of its incarnations, that's why we're here, but don't expect to be able to just come in and bash. Come in and praise, compare, even critique, but do so in a positive, constructive manner - or you could find two or three mods breathing down the back of your neck.

For the record, I found Fedaykin's post to be within the "rules of conduct" that have been set up, even if I wish he had phrased a couple of things differently. He did express himself well, overall. The responses to him have been good and positive expressions of opinion. There is no malice expressed or taken in this exchange, which is exactly how grownups are supposed to act - particularly during a discussion about a TV show.

Well done.

(Fedaykin - "soul searching" can be described as doing exactly what we're doing here - expressing ourselves, conversing, sharing opinions, shaping our own perceptions with the help of others. It does not help the process to suggest that the basis for those opinions is tired or uses circular logic; that only fuels resentment. For example, the basis for my opinion is my dislike of the script; are you helping my opinion to evolve by telling me I should not discuss it anymore because "the script" is a tired issue?

Another "By The Way", my friend: I read the leaked script and there was little change between it and the final product. It may be a tired issue to you, but it is, to me, still very relevant.)

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old February 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #142
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Thank you Dawg....You always know how to make a girl blush.....
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #143
Fedaykin

Thanx Dawg,

I would hate to feel that anyone was being offended i'm to much of a nice guy for that kind of thing. I did want to be forceful on certain aspects as I felt that the show was getting short shrift from the script which did the rounds. I never read the script as whilst I could of it would have spoilt my enjoyment. When I watched the show and enjoyed it all the stuff about the script tends to grate after a while.

On the grand scale of things the mini wasn't that explicit the age rating's it got in the UK were about right (12 for the first episode and 15 for the second).

I suppose what get's me het up is when somebody appears on the forum posts something like "TOS is the only GALACTICA and the mini is sh*t". As I'm a fan of both new and old it's frustrating and it does still happen I noticed some posts along that line on other threads.

Looking back I feel I should of phrased the final part of my original post better (bit too much of grinding the axe me thinks) but I do stand by saying that certain aspects of the script have been blown out of proportion to what actually happened in the show or some case's didn't happen. I also feel that there are some circular arguments going on driven by a fact that not all people have actually watched the show. It's not a nice thing to bring up and I probably won't go on about it any further. I feel that talking about the script only upsets the people who really wanted a continuation as it keeps everything fresh in the mind and frustrates people who enjoyed the new show (but didn't read any script).

Old February 29th, 2004, 05:34 AM   #144
Ninja
Warrior

Well, this being my first post I dont really have much to say.
Plenty of reading to do though
I put my hand up as another vote for the first option.
I admit to not knowing much about the new BG on the sci-fi channel except for what I've seen in the small trailer that was TOS DVD Boxset... and what I saw didn't impress me one bit. I guess I just love TOS too much to see the Battlestar Galactica name treated this way.
In my mind, it's nothing but a marketing gimmick.
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:08 AM   #145
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

As much as I love the original series, I have to sit back and look at what is going on. I am beginning to think that Moore's heart was in the right place.(no...not up his A**) I don't think he thought that he was doing anything wrong. He never realized that not only did we love the concept on the original, but that we would also have loyality to the original cast. I personally thought it had to many sexual scenes in it . I am an action gal and when I watch an outer space flick, that is what I want to see. I think it is sad that Moore and his writers think that all they have to do is throw some nudity and foreplay around and they will bring in new fans. I think it should have been a challenge for them to do it as a completely action film that would have stood on the writing and the special effects. I think I might have enjoyed it more. So I am waiting for the right one to come along...and this is still only one opinion.
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:55 AM   #146
Fedaykin

In the end the sexy stuff has to be taken in the context of the pilot, there wasn't that much and I doubt it will play any great part of the series. They needed to establish Baltar as a womaniser, something which has backfired on him and now he will spend his time being literally haunted by No6. I don't think our new Rag Tag fleet will have much time for the steamy stuff. If they peg any romance at the same level of Worf's and Dax's romance in DS9 I will be happy.

P.S. I didn't see any nakedness and the foreplay talked about was short lived and no more than other prime time shows.

Old February 29th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #147
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
Well, this being my first post I dont really have much to say.
Plenty of reading to do though
I put my hand up as another vote for the first option.
I admit to not knowing much about the new BG on the sci-fi channel except for what I've seen in the small trailer that was TOS DVD Boxset... and what I saw didn't impress me one bit. I guess I just love TOS too much to see the Battlestar Galactica name treated this way.
In my mind, it's nothing but a marketing gimmick.

Ninja -

I would have to agree with you. I did watch the miniseries - I didn't hate it, but it just didn't really do anything for me. I love watching TOS even still after 25 years - I don't watch it every day, but once in a while I pop in one of the DVDs and watch an episode.

I really am kind of ambivalent about the miniseries - it just didn't make me feel anything the first time I saw it. There were some good SFX action scenes and some very short character bits that I liked, but they all showed up in the second half! If they want to get me to watch the new series, they'll have to do a lot better...

Welcome to Fleets! I've always wanted to see Australia - Perth would be my choice if I went to the West Coast someday *sigh* I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Cheers,
Bryan
________
Motorcycle tires
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #148
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin
I didn't see any nakedness and the foreplay talked about was short lived and no more than other prime time shows.

I guess it is that seeing it on BSG kind of made an impact. Maybe I am old fashioned...... like I said before, sex is all around in reality. I want action in my fantasy shows . It makes me sort of sad to think that Moore thinks sex is what draw in fans.... I wonder if they are not comfortable in their own writing.....oh well...water under the bridge. I am worried about it and he is laughing all the way to the bank.... I shall not worry about it any longer.....
Old February 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM   #149
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
And now you know why Em was a moderator here for such a long time.

One of the things we do not want to do is dismiss anyone's feelings as irrelevant. That leads to angry words and a level of conflict we don't want here. Fedaykin may not have been offended by the graphic nature and content of some of the scenes, but there were many people who were; everyone is free to express how they felt about it, as long as they don't do so by attacking.

We have "turned over a new leaf" here - we aren't going to permit the kind of slams, flames, or fighting that came before. If you want to talk about BSG in any of its incarnations, that's why we're here, but don't expect to be able to just come in and bash. Come in and praise, compare, even critique, but do so in a positive, constructive manner - or you could find two or three mods breathing down the back of your neck.

For the record, I found Fedaykin's post to be within the "rules of conduct" that have been set up, even if I wish he had phrased a couple of things differently. He did express himself well, overall. The responses to him have been good and positive expressions of opinion. There is no malice expressed or taken in this exchange, which is exactly how grownups are supposed to act - particularly during a discussion about a TV show.

Well done.

(Fedaykin - "soul searching" can be described as doing exactly what we're doing here - expressing ourselves, conversing, sharing opinions, shaping our own perceptions with the help of others. It does not help the process to suggest that the basis for those opinions is tired or uses circular logic; that only fuels resentment. For example, the basis for my opinion is my dislike of the script; are you helping my opinion to evolve by telling me I should not discuss it anymore because "the script" is a tired issue?

Another "By The Way", my friend: I read the leaked script and there was little change between it and the final product. It may be a tired issue to you, but it is, to me, still very relevant.)

I am
Dawg
Well said Dawg. While there were a couple of phrases that should have been
phrased 'differently' ........I too found Fredeykins post to be WITHIN approved
conduct peremiters. I also read the leaked script, the innumerable reviews
of people who both loved and hated the mini and found there to be little
change in the final product.............. and as for people who hate the fact that
I do not like it therefore I will not be watching it ............. too bad.

The fact is I do NOT like it and therefore WILL NOT BE watching it.

That in itself is NOT an attack on anyone here ............it is my OPINION of
the MINI and to me it will NEVER be the BSG ................ I watch.
Old February 29th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #150
Fedaykin

Hi Shiningstar,

As Dawg said I didn't break any rules and as I later posted I feel that aspects of my earlier post should of been better phrased. On the other hand I felt certain things had to be cleared up and it was as good a time as any. I feel that in the end that the new mini was not the complete disaster which some like to portray it as. In fact for a new Sci-Fi show it was commercially sucessful and went down well with audiences. This is truly amazing for any new science fiction/fantasy show and just shows that Glen Larsons original concept can still speak to people given time and money. I hope that they can continue the show with an eye to quality. There is a degree of TV industry politics in all this considering that Sci-Fi channel and her parent companies really want a show that they can turn into a franchise and go toe to toe with UPN's Star Trek. I completely respect anyones choice not to watch it as everyone has different tastes. If the new show is given a chance by the suits with wallets and allowed to grow and develop (which sadly is a hard thing to predict - many a decent show has died an early death) I wouldn't be surprised if some of the even most die hard no watchers might dip a toe and watch it a few series down the line (even you Shiningstar ). The best thing for me to do is to continue to post about aspects of the new show be critical of it when I should do and supportive when it's good. I will give short shrift to anyone who is unnecessarly critical of any version of BSG (even galactica 80 had it's good points).

P.S. I don't envy your job DAWG! moderator must be a nightmare. I'm a Scout master and it's bad enough keeping control of a bunch of six year olds let alone a crowd of science fiction fans.

Closed Thread