Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 9th, 2003, 03:09 PM   #1

Default Interested in feedback from fans of the original series

I am running a poll on my forum to understand why the fans who support the current production with Ron Moore and David Eick at the helm won't support a prequel. The results thus far have been pretty one sided:

Results (total votes = 35):
Ron Moore and David Eick answering to Glen A. Larson 30 / 85.7%

Too many overwrites needed for a prequel 1 / 2.9%

You prefer side story and prequel doesn't work 0 / 0.0%

Just out spite against the original fans 0 / 0.0%

Doesn't matter, you wanted re-imaging anyways 4 / 11.4%

It's seems to me that the majority of the group feels that a prequel would result in the current production having to answer to someone they feel is a lesser talent in Larson. The point of view many have is that if it is re-imagined then Larson has no say in the new Universe being created. I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Old March 9th, 2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

All I know is that if they succeed in dumbing this down to match the old version of Battlestar Galactica so that folks can have their macaroni-and-cheese, I'll be both disappointed at the opportunities lost and amused to watch the progress and public reception of what finally gets done.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #3
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Dennis, please. I wish you could express your opinions without implying personal insult to the majority of the membership here, 'wink-face' or not. It's rude.

As an aside, the old version was not dumb. It had it's 70's moments, true, but it's totally exaggerated to relegate the entire show to being macaroni-and-cheese, or whatever other comparison you care to use.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:15 PM   #4
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Dennis is seemingly just like the teenagers who think the "old guys" want it to be 1978 again. We can write volumes on how we want the core of the show retained and moved into the 21st Century (including 21st Century writing and characterization), but some people either refuse to or can't understand it. He doesn't seem dumb at all, so it must be the other reason. I don't know why you have to keep putting down continuation fans, Dennis. This is a Battlestar Galactica forum. It's only natural to assume most people would want a continuation. How do you get any fun out of the place when it seems like you're constantly battling? And what's the point of it all? What can be gained by insulting the fans and the series at every opportunity?

Milton, to answer your question, I didn't think Larson was even in the picture. Why would Moore have to take orders from Larson if they switched to a prequel?
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

RGrant, the fact that you don't understand something only means that you don't understand it. It doesn't imply anything else about the person or situation.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #6
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

You're absolutely right, Dennis. I admit to being a bit simple-minded on this matter, too. I know why people go to forums for shows they like, but I've never understood why people go to forums for shows they don't. It's one of those mysteries that just haunts me from time to time.

I've really got nothing against you, btw. You're much better at this than havoc was, and much easier to take. I hope you realize why the dumbing down remark struck a bad chord with me, and why I wrote what I did. I know you like the remake script and I've got nothing against people who like it, either, but I hate when the continuation fans are made to look like people who want everything the way it was in 1978. That's a recent tactic going on with the Moore fans over at Scifi.
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #7
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default IMO Milton Only Cares About Ron Moore

His poll has two simple objectives, boost his numbers so TPTB may pay attention to his board, and second fire up his mindless drones. We’ve all exchanged idea’s and tried mature debate at first things looked promising…given time I’ve come to realize they are his little minions. His poll is disingenuous, best to ignore it

Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 08:02 PM   #8
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
All I know is that if they succeed in dumbing this down to match the old version of Battlestar Galactica so that folks can have their macaroni-and-cheese, I'll be both disappointed at the opportunities lost and amused to watch the progress and public reception of what finally gets done.
And I'll be just as amused when something like what Desanto & Hatch proposed: the old & new characters, the characters that had 20-25 yrs. to grow & change, the themes that remained consistant, the nobility of archetypal characters, the twists of plots and introduction of new factors and yes, something less bubblegum; I will be amused when THAT starts racking in the cashflow around the world.

Sleeping? Perhaps. Giant? Definately. But if you must be careful how you wake it. Roust the sleeping giant the wrong way, anti it's nature, you risk losing body parts. If you wake it gently, respecting it's person, IMHO: you have all of the giant's strength to utilize in your quest for franchise success.

This show had a vision and a message: without that vision and message it was just another flash in the pan to be forgotten. But it wasn't. It transcended its lowly 1 season of success* because it had a vision that crossed cultural lines. (*yes, Dennis it was a success: A show that didn't dropped below top 20 in summer reruns IS a success.)

At its most basic level the message said humankind was worth saving, freedom worth defending, worth fighting for. Last time I checked those were still true: it's just the voices saying it are dimmer now than in 1978. But we need that message more now. We need its hope. We need its decency and dignity.

Time will tell. Dealer still holds the capstone card in the deck.
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #9
XANATOS

the show being made is not B.S.G.
but a cheap rip off

the fans at your site hate galactica
because it is not star trek
and they recive tysted fun from
tearing down what others enjoy

as do you milton

i well remember your post on the
sf galactica bb

XANATOS
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:52 PM   #10
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

There was an unwritten rule we had at renderosity that worked really well, so I'm going to stick with it here. That's adress the argument, not the person.

The implication that old series fans are mac'n'cheese is just a bit rude, but hey, whatever. But... when people get into direct commentary of each other's personalities, that's when it is about the person, not the topic. That's when I may ask folks to step back and chill, based on my mod criteria.

Besides, I *like* mac'n'cheese.
Old March 9th, 2003, 11:55 PM   #11
SS1

When I grow up, I want to be a well-adjusted individual, just like Dennis.

BOOM-cha-gah-la! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!

Last edited by Scooter2000; March 9th, 2003 at 11:58 PM..
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #12
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Scooter! What did I just say? LOL!

Stick to adressing the argument, not the arguer. Besides, I thought you wanted to be Elvis when you grow up.
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:44 AM   #13
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default For Milton

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain James

It's seems to me that the majority of the group feels that a prequel would result in the current production having to answer to someone they feel is a lesser talent in Larson. The point of view many have is that if it is re-imagined then Larson has no say in the new Universe being created. I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Korn Fan 2 has gave some insightful comments in regards to their issues with Larson over at your forum.

As for the fans of the original series, Larson ranks down pretty low with us as well. It's mostly the work of Leslie Stevens and Donald Bellisario that we honor.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:56 AM   #14
Erzengel

I have to wonder about the environment over on the sci-fi bboard because I went over to this person's bboard recently to have discussions and have yet to recieve hostility. I've gotten just the opposite in fact.

I haven't gotten a complete answer to why they support this new project, but I haven't gotten into any flame wars. Just civil debates.
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:28 AM   #15
WXM
Shuttle Pilot

When I saw the title of this thread and its author--and the number of replies ithad gotten--I got a bit worried. "The scourge hasth spread to befall upon the unsullied glade that is CF!" I exclaimed! (Okay, I didn't really put it that way.) But the posts were not of the ilk I feared I'd behold. Intelligence and wisdom abounded. Simply, you guys are rad!

To add to the discussion: To talk about and embrace the RDM script is to talk about and embrace a thing that will be nothing more than an "idea-that-was for a little while, but was not meant to be," akin to the Aerovette of late 70's. A BG continuation (in enough of a form for the fans of Battlestar Galactica to embrace) will happen. Why would I come to that conclusion? Simple. Because it is the only logical path for this particular project. As a famous screen character once said specifically of a BG update (what a trip he saw this coming, eh?), "All else is a waste of material." And such a waste just does not seem meant-to-be here.

-Star Trek Fan WXM

Edit: I've come back to aplogize a little but for not adding anything substantial above on the discussion end. I feel I said about all I had to say in a thread I did a short while back. I responded here because...it's just that what's in the title of this thread "the fans of the original series" irked me. At present, only one BG series exists (BG80 maybe, but that's nowhere mentioned in the topic starter). To see that fact tossed aside on a board that is dedicated to the one and only BG...well, you can probably see why it left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm really not trying to start a flame war here, though. My apologizes, though I've decided to leave my words above in place till someone requests I remove them. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by WXM; March 10th, 2003 at 03:10 AM..
WXM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:07 AM   #16
Erzengel

Technically speaking whatever is done, be it a continuation or a remake, will cause our beloved BSG to become BSG The Original Series. Just like Star Trek of the 70's became Star Trek TOS when Next Gen was made.

So I'm not very insulted by the title.

I also got this sunshine policy in effect, where as I'm willing to talk to people on the otherside and hope that they come around to my views.

Last edited by Erzengel; March 10th, 2003 at 09:10 AM..
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #17
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Scooter2000
When I grow up, I want to be a well-adjusted individual, just like Dennis.

BOOM-cha-gah-la! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM!

I love that people have seized on that part of the script to somehow call it juvenile.
No doubt for lack of anything actually substantive to crit.

When I was in high school, in my first year of ROTC my 2 instructors and the senior year cadets would do a similar kind of call and response during PT or Drills.
I always thought it was macho gung-ho nonsince.

Adama and Trace were gung-ho military as well as close friends. So what is the problem with them engaging in a little military/academy tradition.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #18
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

They were practicaly father and Daughter.
I saw it more in that light than Higher rank vs Lower rank Officer
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:14 AM   #19
Erzengel

And their saying over on the other board that they had to change the gender of the two main characters because to balance the gender gap...
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #20
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito

I love that people have seized on that part of the script to somehow call it juvenile.
No doubt for lack of anything actually substantive to crit.

Crap. I just wrote a long post including 10 substantive criticisms that seem to have been forgotten simply because Scooter complained about a short line of dialogue. And everything but the last paragraph didn't show up. Arghhh.

It's not worth writing it all out again. Suffice it to say they're criticisms that have been pointed out hundreds of time and won't be forgotten just because someone makes fun of the annoying yet fairly insignificant Boom-chaga-la line.

Last edited by RGrant; March 10th, 2003 at 12:18 PM..
Old March 10th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #21
Erzengel

I've had that happen to me before. That's why I write my posts out on notepad and copy paste to the forum..
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #22
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrior
Adama already had a daughter named Athena, and already had a daughter-in-law named Serena, and already had an almost-daughter named Sheba.

Did you see Adama doing that with any of them?

Oh wait... that's the original, not this poor imitation
Thats right.
The 2 universes are unrelated.
Otherwise I'd make the same observations.

Other than "it aint the original" what are the problems with it?
In and of itself there is nothing wrong with Moores script.
save for the jinks and kinks you would normaly found find in any fiction.
It is above par telivision SF.

I mean after we Debunked the lack of the Mythological/Spiritual undertones and Cowardly Adama thing what was really left?

And i still Contend that the female characters in the original series were little more than set dressing till Sheba showed up.
But she fell into the same waiting to be saved victem role typical of the time.

Now had the orignal been given the time to mature prehaps that would have changed, but considering the universal shows to follow i find it highly unlikly.

Today audiences have more expectations for stronger roles for females.
Ala Buffy or Xena.

Now you may say in a continuation that imbalance could have been rectafied and i agree as i said about a possible place for Ms Hu in a hypothetical continuation project.
But for this particular project givving the Boomer & Starbuck Roles to female actors was the right choice.
Similar to the Ivanova & Kira characters from DS9 & B5 and Aeryn & Zaan from Farscape.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
Old March 10th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #23
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RGrant

Crap. I just wrote a long post including 10 substantive critcisms that seem to have been forgotten simply because Scooter complained about a simple line of dialogue. And everything but the last paragraph didn't show up. Arghhh.
Cool
Go ahead and re-write it and post it in it's own thread.
Critiqu the material thats "there" not what is "not" there from the original.

Old March 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM   #24
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Thats what I'm sayin yeah.
Same as u would Stargate SG1 or Highlander: The Series.
Which were remakes of the orignals.
The only diffrence is the changes to those properties are not as drastic as the ones in the BSG script.

I dont agree with you that this project spells the end for a continuation of the original seires.
According the the people on the boards with all the aledged sources the chances of this show even getting made at all are slim to nil.
Hopes for anything other than Moores project seem to be at an all time high so just humor me.
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:10 PM   #25
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Following that logic G-80 would then *BE* Galactica and any kind of future project must by extension be based upon that work.

And even tho there is no canon proof, it is widly accepted that G-80 is in fact apocraful and has no bearing on the original series asside from some portions of The Return of Starbuck.
And that all continuaiton projects should have to pick up after The Hand of God.

If this project tanks then borrow a page from the MACROSS playbook and call it a fictionalized account of the destruction of the colonies that was created by some future colonial film-maker.
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #26
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default RGrant Your Avatar is a Total Scream

BOOM-cha-gah-la! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM! buddy!
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #27
SS1

Quote:
Originally posted by Hito
Same as u would Stargate SG1 or Highlander: The Series.
Which were remakes of the orignals.
You're wrong again Hito. Highlander: The Series was NOT a remake.

I can't speak for Stargate but you are dead wrong about Highlander the series being a remake.

Christopher Lambert reprised his movie character role in the pilot for the series as well as a few other episodes.

The series owes its success for setting the series in the same universe as the movies.
Old March 10th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #28
SS1

Default Re: RGrant Your Avatar is a Total Scream

Quote:
Originally posted by Sept17th
BOOM-cha-gah-la! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM! buddy!
And a BOOM-cha-gah-la! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM back at you buddy!

And a BOOM-cha-gah-la! BOOM-BOOM-BOOM to everybody!
Old March 10th, 2003, 02:24 PM   #29
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Same as u would Stargate SG1 or Highlander: The Series.Which were remakes of the orignals.
As Scooter already mentioned Highlander was a continuation, not a remake. The movie's events were referred to in many episodes.

Stargate SG-1 is also a continuation, not a remake. It picked up directly after the movie. The first two hour episode was even released on video as Stargate 2 in some places.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #30
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by AlternityOrange

As Scooter already mentioned Highlander was a continuation, not a remake. The movie's events were referred to in many episodes.

Stargate SG-1 is also a continuation, not a remake. It picked up directly after the movie. The first two hour episode was even released on video as Stargate 2 in some places.
Highlander The series is not a continuation.
In the movies Connor was the last immortal and won the gathering.
In the series the gathering has not yet hapned.

In the movie stargate Ra was not a worm.

The series spawned from both moves exist in a paralel reality.
They have been remade and based on the original source amterial.