Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #31
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrell
Uno, are you hiding his underwear or his trousers?
To us Brits "pants" mean undies, and I was wondering what would you be doing with Thomas's? :confused:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I totally forgot about that interpretation of the word. I once got into an argument with my goddaughter, who was born in Wales & now lives on the Isle of Wight, over whether it was "rooster" or "cockerel" and eventually gave up on convincing her that both were right (five year olds know everything, you know!).

And, when I was in England for the first time as an exchange student in 1989 (oh my god am I getting old or what?!), we all got a big kick out of a sign in a gift shop that said "sheep rubbers" as that is not what we call things that erase pencil marks in the States, whether they are shaped like sheep or not!

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #32
nightscape2112
Warrior

that pic would make a sane person poke thier eyes out< luckly i"m far from sane> still a scary pic.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #33
kitty
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I totally forgot about that interpretation of the word. I once got into an argument with my goddaughter, who was born in Wales & now lives on the Isle of Wight, over whether it was "rooster" or "cockerel" and eventually gave up on convincing her that both were right (five year olds know everything, you know!).

And, when I was in England for the first time as an exchange student in 1989 (oh my god am I getting old or what?!), we all got a big kick out of a sign in a gift shop that said "sheep rubbers" as that is not what we call things that erase pencil marks in the States, whether they are shaped like sheep or not!
Rubbers do have both meanings over here, but you will not get a funny look if you ask for one in a stationary shop.
Cockerel is used here rather than rooster.
Purse and gas is different, and many more that come to mind.

have you ever been to Wales or Isle of White?
kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #34
PlaidSquadron
Bad Email Address

ON the bright side, at least the thread title isn't "Why Men Shouldn't Blind Date on line...."
PlaidSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #35
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrell
Rubbers do have both meanings over here, but you will not get a funny look if you ask for one in a stationary shop.
Cockerel is used here rather than rooster.
Purse and gas is different, and many more that come to mind.

have you ever been to Wales or Isle of White?
I was in Wales in 1989, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001. My friends moved to the Isle of Wight in late 2001 and I haven't flown since 9/11 so I haven't seen their house yet. But, I am finally headed back this year and look forward to it. Wales is lovely, my friends lived in Bridgend (which is why I am Aunty Gend to my goddaughter, as she had never heard a "Jen" instead of a "Gend" sound before) and we travelled all over southern Wales. I especially like Cardiff Castle even though it is a showcase for Victorian excess. The Smiling Madonna statue is gorgeous and inspiring. But Castell Coch is my favorite William Burges design as it is straight out of a fairytale. My friend worked as a tour guide at Cardiff Castle when she was at university and is a real William Burges fanatic... er, I meant "expert".

...How did I get so far off topic, anyway?

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #36
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

It's such a horrible topic, any excursion away is refreshing.
I'm just an anglophile stuck in The States.

My foster family was stationed in Bichester in the early 70's, and my "Mum" made friends with a neighbor, who invited to stay the night, and on her way up to her room, the husband asked her what time she wanted him to "knock her up". She froze half-way up the stairs until he explained that it meant to wake her, and there was much embarrased laughter when he found out what that meant in American.

And Sorrell, one more word for you, fanny. In America, even men have one of those, you call it a bum.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote