Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 7th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #1
Rickyrod70

Cool If a new series comes out of this Mini.

These questions are for all those who support the new mini or at least willing to give it a shot.

If and when this Mini succeeds and is turned into a weekly series in what direction would you like to see them take it ?

If they do remake any of the clasic episodes from the original series which ones would you like to see ?

What guest stars would you like to see in it ?

In regards for the search for Earth when do you think they should find it during the course of the series or at the end of the series ? Remember finding earth doesnt neccesarily mean the end of the series. There could be some facinating episodes dealing with earths reaction to the arrival of the colonists and vice versa.

Its been said that the original Cylons make a cameo in this mini. Would you like to see more of them in the series?

Would you like a more detailed history of Kobol and the colonies to be revealed ?

And finally are there any characters who were left out of the mini who you would like to see reintroduced during the series run ?

Looking forward to your responses.

Rickyrod
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #2
repcisg
Bad Email Address

First off this this is going to need to get past the initial heave from the viewing audiance. From what I've seen and heard sofar most expect to see a continuation. This is not what is expected.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:03 PM   #3
dah66
Warrior

If it goes to series, I would like the first shot of the first episode to feature Dirk Benedict as Starbuck. He wakes up, grabs his crotch, and says "What a bad dream."

Seriously, after reading the script, and seeing the current publicity shots, I'm still not very enthusiastic towards this remake. It would take a drastic overhaul of the entire production to get me interested in tuning in.

Dave
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Personally, I doubt the ratings will warrant the investment made to date, to say nothing of further investment in a following series.

I've read the script, the reviews, seen the pictures (some of them have been a real help with my diet, let me say - :upchuck: ), seen the film clips - none of it inspires me to think that this is anything beyond a grade-C effort. None of it except for the marquee and the Viper reminds me of Battlestar Galactica.

If, however, they are foolish enough to create a series, what I would like to see is a rousing new episode of Enterprise. That's because I won't be watching anything based on this mini.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 03:08 PM   #5
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Before any conversation regarding a weekly series could begin, I would think that the PTB need to determine if there is a sufficient audience to support a mini. In other words, they would need "wait and see" and then, judge it on its ratings.

The unknown quantity, with this mini-series, is that the producers, etc, really DON'T know what the potential audience is expecting. They can read all of the 'glowing articles' over at the (moderated/censored) Sci-Fi Battlestar Forum but, all that tells them is that the posters, there, are looking forward to the mini. Only a very small handful of posters have even mentioned a possible series. With the "approval", i.e., ratings of the mini, of course, being unknown at this point, there is no way to determine how many of the potential viewers will like the show or how many will be "PO'd" that it's not a continuation, that the Cylons aren't "tin-plated", that Baltar's reasons for betraying the Colonies aren't the same as in TOS. The casual viewers, unlike those of us who post on these forums, don't really know what to expect.

My own, personal thoughts are that this mini-series will not garner a sufficient audience to make a regular weekly series a possibility If this does happen, however, considering the direction that Ron Moore has taken the show and the message that HE is trying to convey, I don't feel that a weekly series would appeal to me any more than the mini, which is not at all.

Rickyrod, I do thank you, though, for posing these questions. It does show an honest effort, on your part, to reach out to "the other side".

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #6
PlaidSquadron
Bad Email Address

From what I have read, there are a few "threads" from the old series that would be "re-imagined"

I am sure the Pegasus would be one, and most likely something along the Hand of God

I personally don't want to see any of it. BSG03 should stand on its own (if it can)

My guess on the new series is it won't happen. SCI-Fi was abuzz last year with the new "B-5" movie, and possible series. But without the original charachters (other then Jakar) it just wasn't what the B-5 fans wanted. I think this will be the same
PlaidSquadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #7
cdlegend
Shuttle Pilot

Default Wake me when it's over!

HELLO! I think a majority of fans would rather not see this mini series on rather than plan on it being a weekly event! I believe that it will hastily join Galactica 1980 as one of those bad nights when Starbuck has had too much ambrosia and wakes up in a cold sweat wondering how he made it back to the Galactica.
Give it a shot???? These guys ( and I say that lightly) turned a classic sci-fi legend into a mockery of what it one was. Never mind the characters, what about the soul of this story? There is no soul in this thing ... there's nothing remotely familiar at all! As a matter of fact between the sex changes and the ... well... sex , there is hardly room for a good show.
I say good ridens to bad rubish! Let's see the Original Galactica grace our tubes again! I want a male Starbuck, a male Boomer and there can be only one Commander Adama. Unfortunately, we have lost him, but as Richarad Hatch planned, holographic images of Adama can still make him a vital part of the original series.
Wake up! You're smelling tylium fumes or something! Some other sci-fi show enthusiasts may give it a shot, but no true Galactica fan. Sorry!
Legend
cdlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:14 PM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Wake me when it's over!

Quote:
Originally posted by cdlegend

Wake up! You're smelling tylium fumes or something! Some other sci-fi show enthusiasts may give it a shot, but no true Galactica fan. Sorry!
Legend
Legend,

Rest assured, I'm not smelling any tylium fumes or anywhere near a leaking solium tank, with a lit fumarello!! I don't have any desire for the mini, let alone a weekly series. Still, I didn't want to slam Rickyrod, for the question, which is a legitimate question and thoughtfully presented. It's just very, very likely to float like a lead balloon, here.

As far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 acceptable courses of action which would ADD VALUE to what ALREADY exists -- a prequel or a continuation. The original is already there, build out from it, don't rebuild it.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #9
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thanks for your post but I really can't think of this mini being a serries.
If it did I would have to agree with dah66 With someone waking up from an ambrosia induced nighmare.

Serriously I have not seen verry much interest in this mini. I've seen more against it than for it. If they change the name maybe more people from all camps would like it, but to me it just isnt BSG.
I think TPTB will wait until after the mini to check the ratings to see if enough people watch to support a weekly time slot.
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #10
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

It's hard for me to be rational when it comes to the subject of "the mini series." I'm still on the fence about watching it, though (quite frankly, if I do end up watching it, I seriously doubt I'll get pass the first 10 minutes). From what I have read of RDM's script, the mini series lacks the heart and soul of the BSG I know and love.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:54 PM   #11
Rickyrod70

Default Thanks for the responses

They were interesting. I was hoping for more of a disscussion on the new version to see what direction it should follow. I guess we will see in December if it will do well or not.

Thanks.
Old September 13th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #12
Senmut
Strike Leader

If this is a ratings flop, I expect SlyFry to go for a series anyway. RDM et all will not be able to grasp that their monster was not accepted, and will live on in a fantasy world.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #13
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

"I was hoping for more of a disscussion on the new version to see what direction it should follow."

Well, to be honest, we told and told and told the PTB what we wanted and were totally ignored and belittled. That's why when someone asks what my opinion is on the mini, speaking personally, my first thought is been there, said that, don't want to waste any more breath.

I welcome you to the forum- I just can't work up the enthusiasm to even *think* of discussing the mini at this point.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #14
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default I agree...

with Senmut. Skiffy has invested so much into this fight that I think no matter how the dang thing does in the ratings, they will shove it into production for at least a couple of seasons just to prove the naysayers 'wrong'. Then, when no one is watching it they will quietly cancel it...

Oh and I almost forgot one vital piece of info: they will blame the weakness of the series and the cancellation on the original fans who fought against the show!!!!! Of all the low-down dirty tricks, but just wait and see...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #15
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Default Depends on what NBC wants to do...

Seriously...

THEY didn't put money into it - so if the mini flops, NBC may say 'forget it, no way are we wasting another dime on this'.

Remember NBC? The cancellers of Star Trek?

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2003, 07:02 PM   #16
Rickyrod70

Default Thanks for your responses

I enjoyed reading most of them. I have a nagging suspicion that this Mini may do OK. But I think if it does then a continued miniseries might be a better way to go than a weekly series. They could produce one or so a month. In a 2 hour movie format. This way they can put more into each of these then they could possibly hope to do with a weekly version. Either way I look forward to it.
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #17
Stray Viper
Warrior

Default I actually thought about this ...

I for one do not support the reimagining, and I for one also do not believe it will do well at all with ratings. Therefore, I believe this will end very quickly in December.

But ... I felt your question was a strange one. From what I have learned about the reimagining, it takes such a divergent path from the original in terms of concept, themes, characters, etc. that it is obvious the production is trying to distance itself as much as possible from the real Battlestar Galactica and still use the name at the same time.

Therefore, if a series was conceived as a result of the miniseries, my feelings are they will not do remakes of TOS episodes. It will be something completely different. I don't think RDM would use the Pegasus and Commander Cain and all the other favorite storylines. Since he was determined to reject the fans outright from the beginning, I don't see him suddenly reaching out to us if the series was to continue.
Old October 5th, 2003, 08:46 PM   #18
larocque6689
Warrior

Find Earth?

No way. That would defeat the entire point of the exercise. One of the "in-jokes" of the original series is we all knew there was an Earth, even if most people except Adama were in disbelief of the concept. In the new series, Adama doesn't even believe in Earth. Which makes it even a greater "in-joke", because we as audience members all know that Earth is real.

The new producers were less interested in exploring the mythology of the original series than promoting a "here and now" story where humanity faces the prospects of its own extinction. In the sense that it copies the basic elements of the original pilot episode, it deserves to call itself "Galactica", but it is clear they weren't using the rest of the series as a reference.

All the same, to answer the first question - if it goes "series", they will have to explore "Earth", just as in the original series the second episode dealt with the Egyptian/Kobolian lore of the 13th tribe.

By the way - as a trivia note, I have finally read the script. Or most of it. I skimread a lot of the battle scenes and concentrated on the dialog, and at least two scenes where Number Six goes into territory unconceived of in the original series. (the keyword here is "hands"). I may give it a second glance and then just forget about. There's stuff in the script I like, but I find the entire concept of "sex with a Cylon" goofy.
Old October 5th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #19
originalsinner

Default Most not see TV

I do think this bore will become a series, leave it to Sciwhy to give you "most see TV" NOT" they have to fill the gap with "Temors" gone, and put on another unwatchable show, The story will be moore beeps, blunders, and boobs! IF you wont to get your rest on a friday night, tune in, It might put you asleep, or make you sick. Maybe someone at NBC could put a stop to it, 19 days tell the real Galactica!
Old October 6th, 2003, 08:11 AM   #20
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default No series...

For me, it really doesn't matter what the mini-series does or if there is a series based on the new show.

I will not watch it so I can't comment on it. I don't want to see it so this question is irrelevant to me...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #21
TommyBoy70
Shuttle Pilot

Default it may not be too late

If I'm not mistaken didn't the original Star Trek series go under a major overhaul between the pilot and the series? Perhaps there is a chance (however slim) that any subsequent series may be overhauled to be more consistent with the original. It may be wishful thinking but you never know.
TommyBoy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 06:07 PM   #22
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

with NBC calling the shots, who knows.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:02 PM   #23
amberstar
Strike Leader

We can only hope that NBC will show good sense
Old October 13th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #24
jjrakman

NBC is in an interesting position. They watched one of their Sci Fi properties become successful 35 year long franchise, Star Trek. They are about to embark on another Sci Fi continuation, V. So it would be very interesting what their standpoint is on this controversy.
Old October 13th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #25
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

Another thing of interest to note, is NBC now own the television rights to Star Trek for a second time round. It will be fascinating to see what becomes of Enterprise if the ratings doe not pick up. Wouldn't it be ironic if Enterprise gets axed at episode 79.

The new deal that NBC has with Universal, Sci Fi and Paramounts tv channel UPN could well be the beginning or the end of Sci Fi as we knows. As the saying often goes, things get worse before they get better.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #26
AlphaAce

If a weekly series is made, I would prefer that this show steer clear of the original BSG episodes. If they are going to make something very different, they shouldn't rely on the original shows. I would like to see the Cylons soundly defeated though. We never saw that in the original.