Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default Hand of God re-edit/special edition is online

For the bittorrent file go to:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/431875/6225935/

or if that doesn't work then www.demonoid.com and search torrents for "battlestar" and you should find it.

Is the last of the re-edits, at least until I complete Saga of a Starworld.

Some scene reworking, additional fx, and a little addition to the ending.

Hope you like.

Dave
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

Downloading now, it is going to be great to watch
Old August 19th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

It doesn't seem to work.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Liked it!

Hmmm without spoiling anything, looks like with touch ups you could add a certain "warping sequence" to your saga fan edit after all if you so choose to. Other than that, i'm glad you removed most of the shock footage and not all of the dogfight battle is full of repeat shots anymore. The new stuff is great.

I want to ask what kind of programs you've used for the editing and CGI graphic effects added to your fan edits now David Kerin. Seems almost like that footage we've seen of the Richard Donner cut of Superman 2 online. That you haven't gone overboard on modern day CGI effects and have given the fan edits of the BG episodes a touch up without making them look too jazy for older episodes to feel all filled up with all new crazy out of this world effects.

Congrats well done.

Although i'm hoping "Saga" is more grand and alot more shots are filled up with more hi-res CGI in places, all i can say is continue your style of fan edits for Battlestar Galactica. You've made some wise choices and i'm guessing if you had more tools to do even more you most certainly would. Fret not, they're good enough as they are.

Although to be honest the ending with the "waggling wings" scene was altered too much though, that should be turned to its former state however? The hologram bit was also a nice touch and idea to add to a military briefing to the Viper pilots. But it was rather flat, it should've been "cubed" and 3D somewhat for a hologram? If it wasn't easy to do fair enough then, understood. Everything else was o.k. though.

KJ
Old August 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #5
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

I liked the combat between the Galactica and the basestar...........it was fantastic to watch with the Vipers and Cylons flying around the Basestar while Galactica was having the shoot out with the Basestar, made it more realistic

I also liked the hologram of the battle tactic Adama was talking about...........what made it great was that i noticed several characters were looking at the spot where you placed the hologram so it looks like they are studying it
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #6
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Didn't think about it cubed... would have been interesting. The idea was a flas 2d presentation, but something a little more 3d would have given a little extra.

As for the waggling, I've always been dissappointed that the original shot was just a quick stock move that didn't show them actually waggling the wings, which is why I switched it. It is interesting to hear the different aspects that people do and/or do not like. Trust me, I don't take any criticism in a bad way, cause I know you could never make something that pleases absolutely everybody. With the Experiment in Terra re-edit I took out the planet shield at the end because I never felt it fit and frankly hated it from the first time I saw it. However I've had comments about people liking the shield.

For the re-edits, I've used 3d Studio MAX for the 3d, After Effects for compositing and additional effects, and Premiere for the actual editing. With these you can always go deeper and more detailed, all depends how crazy and how much time you want to put into it. As these are still for enjoyment I have not gone too deep with it. If I start nit-picking every detail as I do it I can drive myself crazy. Thus wouldn't be fun anymore. Lord know though every time I look at these I am picking tons of things I'd tweak.

As for the next one, been working on additional planetary destruction. Basestars firing from orbit, lots of explosions, and trying to find other stock footage of explosions and people that I can work in to show more of the impact. I'll keep you all updated as the progress continues.

Thanks for commenting on the edit(s), it is much appreciated.

Dave
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Well if i may say so Mr Kerin! Your stuff is excellent, truly i've always kinda wonder what Galactica would look like if it 'done up' and upgraded and your cuts show that in a warm heart felt way.

I can tell you now, i'm not easy to please or won over easily. But i do whole heartly respect artists in their field illustrations, CGI, graphic design, model makers, modeler's and especially cartoonists etc and i can see that you're fan edits are just a fun way of exploring that "what if" area we've often wondered about for so long. Trust me when i say besides the goofy comments and banter that goes on here, my suggestions to you for the past few days have been totally honest, and i hope along with anyone else it truly helps your editorial process making any and all other fan-cuts of BG (especially SOATW? ).

What you've done is something i kind of wanted Titon to do with his (as always) magnificent unfinished "Battlestar Millenia" project! Only you've gone on to show us the possible additions the Galactica episodes could've had! Neat for fans of the series no doubt really. Galactica bias aside, i think i still would've enjoy this project of yours from a simple "regular joe's" science fiction fan's point of view to be frank, and would applaude the efforts seen openly anyhow.

Whats next afterwards besides SOATW anyways. Could you attempt your own CGI styled project BG based or unique new concept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
For the re-edits, I've used 3d Studio MAX for the 3d, After Effects for compositing and additional effects, and Premiere for the actual editing
Yes figured as much!

I'm told and more or less figured out for myself that "Premiere" was a powerful editing tool. Its on my list for future reference when i get into video editing and fully learn the basics (maybe i'll use it REAL soon?). I've got a version of 'Avid Express Pro' for PC users, but its unused thus yet, is it any good as an editing tool?

Saw it being described in the classic "Cinescape" issue #74 with Hellboy on the cover, that had Vincent Guastini's Very PRO-Battlestar Galactica Singer/DeSanto revival interview! (pages 64 to 67). Issue also talked about Batman Dead End too so how cool is that.

Anyways once again nice talking to ya Mr Kerin. As always keep us posted cos we definitely want to hear more about your stuff!

KJ
Old August 19th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #8
jjrakman

Quote:
Whats next afterwards besides SOATW anyways. Could you attempt your own CGI styled project BG based or unique new concept?
How about this challenge/puzzle?

Take all the cut scenes from all the episodes, maybe some extra scenes from the telemovies and UK broadcasts, add in some new FX, and create a brand new episode. Could something like that even be possible?
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #9
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Avid is pretty much a standard in the editing field. I've found Premiere is a great tool, and that is what I use at home, and helped me learn other editing systems we have where I work. At work we have a Media 100 and 2 Avid systems. The Avid is a bit less user friendly, but once you learn its ins and outs, you actually really like it.

And trust me, I appreciate the comments with all honesty. Please don't take anything I ever write as taking some offense. Too often people don't want to share their true thoughts because they worry it may offend, but hearing all the thoughts may bring something to light you would not have thought of.

Although it is possible to tick me off, and I found out what it is. Call me your personal Ron Moore, and that can do it. Anything beyond that, I'm pretty cool with it.

As for the new episode idea, that would be an interesting puzzle. Did a little with that on the Return of Starbuck re-edit, but would be a challenge to get it to play smoothly, and find that story within. One problem is we BSG fans know all the clips so well that we'd be figuring out where each clip was from rather than watching. But not worrying about it now... a challenge for a later time.

LKJ, I have to go through and get your ideas into one list so I can have them organized as I work through the Saga edit. And again I really appreciate the ideas. And anyone else, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #10
z28barry

A silly question if you don't mind.
I'm new to the torrent thing and actually loaded a client and downloaded the file.
When I try to play the file all I get is audio and no video display.
Do I need a certain media player to watch the 303 Mb file?

Thanks, Barry.

Sorry guys, I've got it working.
Downloaded the correct codec.
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM   #11
z28barry

I watched it and I really enjoyed it.
I love how you added vipers and raiders into the scenes between the Galactica and the Base stars when they were fighting it out.
The added scenes made it much more enjoyable.
Some scenes didn’t jell together as seamlessly as they could have.
I am more then sure that with more practice and other software, you will get it as seamless as possible with very little differences between original and enhanced scenes.

Later, Barry.
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #12
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Thanks Barry, and glad you got it working.

I think patience is the big thing with me. Sometimes I start something and want to see it completed too quickly. Which then makes me decide something is good enough when I know I could have tweaked it a little more to get it mesh better with the original. I've worked on projects with people in the past who have made me go back to something that I thought was fine and done, and it pushed me to take it to that extra level. This project is more by myself, so I have to be the one to tell me to do more with it. We'll see how that goes with Saga.
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #13
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Can't seem to get it to work. It appears that I was able to download / save the file but, got an error message when trying to open it. (Did not recognize the file type.)
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #14
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Make sure you have the latest xvid codec installed. Search for xvid and/or divx for the latest codecs and hopefully that should fix it. Although if you had any of the others I've done play, then this should too. I think Kingfish said he had trouble too, but I know others have had it work fine on theirs.

Hope that helps.

This site may help.

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

The divx codec is also good to have.
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #15
z28barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Can't seem to get it to work. It appears that I was able to download / save the file but, got an error message when trying to open it. (Did not recognize the file type.)
File name should be"bsg-hog.avi".
Explanation of why audio or video problems occur with viewing AVI files.
http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jak..._playback.html
Xvid codec for windows found here.
http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

hope that helps.
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #16
SilentBob
Warrior

I get this when I try to download it.........

"Can't send torrent

Non-registered visitors are limited to 3 torrent downloads per week.
To download the torrent you must register.

Registration to this website is absolutely free.

Click here to go to the registration page
or
Click here to go back"

I went to register and they are not accepting any new registrations.
SilentBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #17
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I have had similar problems. Fortunately some of the vids are at YouTube.com and work.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #18
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Recently my computer crashed while I was away, so that would have prevented it from being sent. It is back online now.

It would also be a huge help if those who downloaded it leave it on to seed for others. For example, 142 people downloaded the file, but currently only 3 people are listed as seeding (sharing) the file... and I am one of those three.

The Return of Starbuck ep (Judgement Day) was downloaded 184 times and no one seeding. Living legend 109 and 2 seedeers. Experiment in Terra 64 and no seeders.

So in doing these to share with the fans, it would be a huge help for the others who want to download if those who did already download keep it on to seed.

I do realize that not everyone wants to leave their computers running for such extended periods, but anyone who can help it would be appreciated.

Another note to add, as I am working on the Saga of a Starworld re-edit, which is coming along nicely, I am probably going to post it as a DVD disk image (iso) so it will be larger in size. However it can be burned to a DVD and played in a tv DVD player. With menus and possibly extras. When I put this online, I am going to likely remove the others from my sharing list, so whoever out there has them, it is either up to them to share, or they will simply filter away from being online.
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #19
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

I changed the files to my second drive after a week but i usually shared about 60% each file and i got no idea how to put them back up, looked around this afternoon but no luck so far

About the numbers of fighters in Saga of a Star World if 25 Vipers from Galactica landed out of 67 that landed on both Alpha and Beta decks then that is something like 37% if i calculated correctly so i theorise that the other Battlestar commanders managed to follow Adama and put their Vipers into combat
Old September 6th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #20
SilentBob
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kerin
Recently my computer crashed while I was away, so that would have prevented it from being sent. It is back online now.

It would also be a huge help if those who downloaded it leave it on to seed for others. For example, 142 people downloaded the file, but currently only 3 people are listed as seeding (sharing) the file... and I am one of those three.

The Return of Starbuck ep (Judgement Day) was downloaded 184 times and no one seeding. Living legend 109 and 2 seedeers. Experiment in Terra 64 and no seeders.

So in doing these to share with the fans, it would be a huge help for the others who want to download if those who did already download keep it on to seed.

I do realize that not everyone wants to leave their computers running for such extended periods, but anyone who can help it would be appreciated.

Another note to add, as I am working on the Saga of a Starworld re-edit, which is coming along nicely, I am probably going to post it as a DVD disk image (iso) so it will be larger in size. However it can be burned to a DVD and played in a tv DVD player. With menus and possibly extras. When I put this online, I am going to likely remove the others from my sharing list, so whoever out there has them, it is either up to them to share, or they will simply filter away from being online.
Demonoid still won't let me get it. Is it possible to post the torrent on an alternate site?
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #21
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBob
Demonoid still won't let me get it. Is it possible to post the torrent on an alternate site?

I'll look into that tonight. I think isohunt might be a good one.

I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #22
SilentBob
Warrior

TY, sir.
Old September 6th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #23
KJ
Strike Leader

I want to ask David, if and when he chooses to do another Return Of Starbuck fan re-edit, if whether or not you could add in other restylised Vipers since you've added in the beautiful 'Tom DeSanto' Viper to your fan edit?

Perhaps the Scarlet Viper from the Hatch BG novels and BG: The Second Coming trailer! I've wondered what a Squadron of different kinds of Vipers would look like is all?! Considering fandom's had several attempts of a revival, even if i have to ask an obvious question. What made you pick the DeSanto Viper over say the "Scarlet" one by Steve Paraday or the Mike McAdam's Viper designs (Vipers with five lasers and blue markings etc). You could've put a 'tip of the hat' reference in there to their versions of a re-stylised Battlestar Galactica Viper.

Just some more food for thought chief!

Keep up the good work.

KJ
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM   #24
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

I chose the DeSanto Viper for a few reasons. One I knew that DeSanto was going to include that one episode in his continuation as "cannon" to the story. Also it is there as a tip of the hat to Tom DeSanto and his efforts, maybe a nice little tribute to him and his efforts.

Another reason is seeing the re-edit as somewhat down the line from the last aired episode (in the nonexistent second season), that it was a good time to introduce a fleet made Viper model. And I thought the DeSanto had a little more of a home-made feel to it. But it still looked like a good off-shoot from the original.

Lastly, it was a model I already had made and had access to, and did not want to spend the time going and modeling a new Viper. Although if given the choice, I'd still go with DeSanto's because in the (true) Galactica realm, his was the closest to getting something made that respected and honored the original.

Don't know if I'll work in Viper variations to the Saga re-edit. Maybe... if they fit. Almost through with the main visual additions/alterations to the opening destruction of Saga. Still have to add all the sound effects. The middle part of the movie has fewer alterations as it is mainly the story exposition on the condition of the fleet. More character and less visual. Then comes the Carillon section. Was debating whether or not to add visible laser beams from the blasters during the fight/chase with the Cylons. I like the fact that we don't see them, but thinking for this one, maybe I'll add them for the pure visual element.

I want to get a new preview of some of the "special edition" pieces as they are coming together online. Have to get sound effects in though or they just seem flat. There was one shot I did that I wasn't sure would work, but I really like it. It is an overhead shot of Starbuck's viper as it slides across the landing bay during his emergency landing.

As for the other torrent site, had some things come up to keep me away from the computer, so no news yet. Hopefully I can get it online soon.

OR... if anyone out there who already has the files would like to host them on a different torrent site, that would be a huge help as well. I would love to keep these out there for the fans to have access to, but I cannot keep all these files running from my computer forever. So if possible, please share.
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #25
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

I'll see if i can get one up in the next week maybe sooner if possible, trying to match up torrents to files so i can help out
Old September 9th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #26
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

I uploaded Living Legend to Torrentbox.com so look up Battlestar Galactica and you should find it at the bottom of the list
Old September 10th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #27
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Thanks Aussie, that is a huge help.. Have no checked out torrentbox yet so going to take a look now.

Dave
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM   #28
SilentBob
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Warrior
I uploaded Living Legend to Torrentbox.com so look up Battlestar Galactica and you should find it at the bottom of the list
No seeds at the moment, it went to 12.76 mb and then stopped and hasn't moved all night.
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:39 PM   #29
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

Living Legend
http://www.torrentbox.com/torrent_de...p.php&id=65115

Hand of God
http://www.torrentbox.com/torrent_de...p.php&id=65112

Return of Starbuck (Judgement Day)
http://www.torrentbox.com/torrent_de...316&uploaded=1

It's working now, got it down for 6kb a second will increase over time (at edge of my download limit)
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:02 PM   #30
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Aussie Warrior, I cannot thank you enough. You are a life saver.

Between work, family (son entering 1st grade, and my daughter going into Jr. High... and I fear that word "date" is edging ever closer) I have not had the time to upload onto anything else. In my free time I have been working on the Saga of a Starworld edit, which I must say I am really happy with . In fact as I type this, the Imperious Leader Chamber scenes are rendering with images/schematics on his walls. So he is not just staring blindly at a blank wall. Even as a kid I always thought there should have (and could have) been images projected on those walls. I thought about a 3d hologram effect, but those big walls were just meant for images. Just cause you're in the future and can to 3d holograms, do you have to do 3d holograms? A question I ask myself every night before bed.

And for those downloading from torrentbox, or demonoid... trust me, being the seeder/host of the torrent may run into some troubles. Please be patient, download, and seed. Not meaning to sound cheesy, but these are really for the TOS fans, and I hope the TOS fans could help keep these out there for some time. Also, I am planning the Saga re-edit to be uploaded as a DVD disc image (iso file) so it will be quite larger in size, but much better in quality. We're talking menus and all. And maybe various extras. So we will need all the seeders and help we can get to make and keep this accessible to the TOS fans.

So to Aussie, and all those who can help, enormous thanks!