Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > Costuming Guild
Notices
Costuming Guild For the costuming

Old April 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #1
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Colonial Warrior Uniform resource list.

Alright Warriors, time to grab your gear! The following is a list of Colonial Warrior uniform resources. Cylons and other costume resources are on their way. Boots and the pistol belt have been covered in other threads.

There is kind of a constant revolving door of people offering Battlestar Galactica costumes of various quality and prices. Going into this you should know that a lot of us have been burned more than once by long waits, ill fitting costumes, and the occasional non delivery. That said, I think the juice is definitely worth the squeeze and you will find just as many and more good people in this hobby.

Most of the resources on this list have been around for a while. Just in talking with people and seeing these things in person I've tried to rate them. Of course mine is far from the end all be all opinion. Please jump in and say what you can about all of these resources! It will help all of our potential warriors make the most inofrmed decisions they can. Leave your own ratings!

As new costume tailors become available we can add them. With all the work Mieal Deneb is putting in on the patterns, hopefully we'll get more resources in the near future!

Ratings are for the costume quality itself, not for customer service. I would definitely urge you to ask around about each of these sources and make your best judgement.

A = Screen Accurate
B = Well made with some innacuracies
C = Recognizable, but highly innacurate (budget costume). *May be subject to limited membership within the costuming club.
D = Extremely cheaply made, not recommended. Unnacceptable within Squadron Guidelines.
F = Are you kidding? No one would ever wear that in public let alone private.

www.battlestargalactica.org B+, A-
Pro: These uniforms are ready to go. They are made well and instantly recognizable.
Con: Minor innacuracies, standard sizing means no custom fit!
Price Range:
$495.00 Warrior Tans and Jacket
$299.95 Bridge Crew

In the past there have been disputes over the time lapse between ordering and delivery. This seems to have cleared up some in the past few years. The items are pretty top notch. There are a few minor issues if you're going for super screen accurate, but nothing all that big. Mainly the shape of the tunic collar overlay (I guess that is what it would be called) and the shoulders on the jackets (so I hear). Charybdis put up some great pictures of his Bridge crew uniform over in the "Blackstar Squadron" thread. Not bad!

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cata...oducts_id/9640 B+, A-
Pro: If what you need isn't available for some reason from Battlestar Galactica.org, they might have it here.
Con: Their prices are usually $50.00 higher than www.battlestargalactica.org
Price Range:
$350.00 Bridge Crew
$600.00 Warrior Tans and Jacket

Unless they are pretty brazenly false advertising, they are selling the BSG.org stuff. The prices are a bit higher. It is a resource though.

http://fantasytroopers.blogspot.com/...l-warrior.html C
Pro: Cheapest available.
Con: Cheaper materials, innacuracies, difficulty arranging larger sizes.
Price Range: $200.00 Warrior Tans and Jacket together.

This gentlemen is only wearing half the uniform, but you can see the jacket color is off and the tunic overlay is a bit steep.

Here is a picture of Richard wearing another one of these on Galacticruise.

The price is fairly amazing all things considered. You should know that the material is not the correct stuff. The tunic is innacurate in many ways and the jacket I have seen in person was WAY off color wise from the original and from the picture advertised. However you do get what you pay for, and it is recognizeable. If you are going for screen accuracy, this is not for you. The buckles are off (though the correct buckles are available elsewhere and you could replace them), The collar to the tunic is quite drastic and innacurate. Made of fleece vs. the correct suede cloth. I was more than just a little tempted a while back to go with this but I have an eye for details and I know it would drive me nuts. Within the new squadron, this uniform is sort of agreed to be the bare minimum of an acceptable costume. I do not mean any offense to anyone who created it, but it is a budget costume.

http://www.shadowdalecreations.com/index.htm A-
Pro: Well made.
Con: Long wait, a bit pricey.

The Shadowdale tunic.

Shadowdale Jacket
I don't remember the prices. Good stuff, but I hear it is quite the wait. Drama runs high with custom costume tailors that don't have wait lists and take money in advance. I'd say you should ask about their work load before you order. That goes for any custom work! Seems to be very high quality. Delivery time is their main complaint. Detail wise, I wasn't a fan of the collar on the jacket. It stood a bit high.

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/catalog/ (Rating not yet available)
Pro: Very highly recommended, VERY high quality.
Con: The cost will reflect the quality.
Price Range: $400-500

They have offered to take a crack at the jacket. Their reputation ensures it will more than likely be the most screen accurate jacket currently on the market (until Rachel gets hers underway I'm sure). It will be costly, in the high four hundreds...but for those of us who won't settle until we have the most accurate replica possible Magnoli just may be the way to go. They'll custom color match, and examine all available materials. If you want to see some great reproductions on their part, just look for their Blade Runner reproductions (they even did his neck tie!), and their Dark Knight Joker reproductions. They've got a knack for absolutely nailing obscure costume pieces. The Nostromo crew shirts from Alien are a personal fav. The man I spoke with is more than willing to work with us but we need someone to take that first plunge. I have yet to hear a bad review. Runs are usually limited. If there is enough interest we can start a thread and see how many people we get on board, the more people we get, we might be able to get the cost lowered.

www.katarra8.com (A, A-)
Pro: Well made, mostly accurate.
Con: Long waits, currently not making the Battle jacket in the correct color.
Price Range: Items listed below.

This is my warrior jacket by Kathy Pillsbury.
Kathy Pillsbury's ebay store. Those of you who don't know who she is, Kathy made the uniforms (with Joe Kerezman if I remember correct) for Richard Hatch's "Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming" trailer. If you want a picture of her uniform, check the main "Blackstar Squadron" thread. She makes excellent uniforms, but you should be preparred to wait a while (in some cases a year or more). I do not wish to bad mouth her, as I have personally never had anything but good dealings with her. That said, a friend of mine and I ordered warrior jackets from her in January of 2006; my jacket took five months to complete which is not completely unreasonable. He has still yet to receive his as of this writing. From what I have gathered, standard sizes do seem to ship quicker. She also offers a wide array of Battlestar uniform accessories including dress uniform items, holster blanks, and patches. Some people swear by her, some people swear against her. Both sides are legit. I've had great dealings with her. People I personally know have had very bad dealings with her.
Tans: $249.99
Pants: $99.99
Tunic: $169.99
Jacket $249.99
Full ensemble: $495.99
2X and above add $65

I saved my favorite for last!
http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.c...1_archive.html
http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.c...-update-2.html
I commissioned Mieal Deneb to make my Tans and I'm hoping to get her to make my jacket once the patterns for that are done! She has an eye for detail, and a good business practice. I had to wait my turn until she could get to my costume which was fantastic! Too many costumers will take your money and then you get thrown in line. Anyway, she can tell you more about her experience and abilities than I can. She's also a founding member of Blackstar Squadron!

Well, that should get us started for now. Bring on the discussion!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #2
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Default Re: Colonial Warrior Uniform resource list.

Please keep us posted on your tans. I need to do the tunic for my whites and HATE making it. I would love to find someone else to do it!

www.myspace.com/kamikazeathena
www.bewitchingelegance.com
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

When I first noticed that Battlestargalactica.org had their website down (it's since been returned), I contacted Shadowdale costumes about their pricelist.

This is what they sent me:
Colonial Warrior Jacket $350.00
Colonial Warrior Cape $150.00
Colonial Warrior Tunic & Pants $350.00

The Items are special order now, not listed on their webpage, you need to email them for the prices and to get the costume.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4
monolith21
Squadron Leader

There have been some issues regarding wait times with them (their rep at the RPF is shot!) but the quality looks nice. I'm not sure if it is $700 nice though! If they fix that giant collar "popped" look then maybe. More resources should pop up after the patterns become available!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #5
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Monolith, are there efforts afoot to post the patterns here???

It would be cool if resources like that were around, kinda like to R2 Builders groups.

Those folks do some seriously intense work.

Also, on the Blasters, I seem to remember a list floating around with all the Model Kits that were used for the detailing on it, but after seeing the prices on replicas, it almost doesn't make sense to DIY those anymore.

Sure would be nice if the helmets would go in that direction.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #6
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

We're not sure what will become of the patterns at this moment. since they are still in development. The next step will be a pattern for a female warrior'r costume. I know Miel is planning that as soon as she delivers her newest recruit

We have been lucky enough to get the support of Mark Bradly, who has some screen used costumes, and accress to others. I have already asked for reference pictures to a Medical Tunic. which I saved and have in case someone with sewing skills and pattern drafting skills wants to take a try with it.

What would be ideal is to get a couple of people working on the patterns, with co-operation, and alot of communication, to cover all the costumes. I would also like to see the patterns posted, or somehow made available for others to try their hands at them.

Helmets - This has to be one of the biggest holy Grails of warrior costuming. Everyone wants one, but there are EXTREMELY limited sources for them. And none cheap. If we could somehow get some sort of "poor man's kit" that could hold enough detail to be visually correct enough, but light enough and cheap enough to put it in everyone's hands. Supposedly someone has the license to offer a higher end prop of the helmet, but no pics or release dates (or prices) have been seen yet.

And you're right, in order to build up a Laser pistol, using the accurate and correct model kits, you'd have one EXPENSIVE laser. and I certainly wouldn't want to do anything but assemble it, paint it, and then put it on a wall somewhere. With solid Resin castings going for about $30 plus shipping on ebay, you really can't beat it.

Old April 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I Still say when that Mock up is completely done, you dye that fabric (only thing that saves me from commenting about it is the price lol, perfect for a mock up lol) a solid color and keep it for a fun costume. Add the insignia and everything.

Dye it black, or Navy blue lol

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #8
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I'm not sure if the pattern will be posted or sold through her site. With all the work going into it and info that will be in it I would say selling the pattern is more than fair. Its more than we've had available to us...ever now that I think about it!

I remember being completely blown away when I was able to get a pistol kit for around $80-90. In just a few short years they have become very easy to come by. I agree, it would be great if the helmet would do the same!

I only know of one resource for the helmet and it is $250.00 for an unfinished kit. A bit more if you want the lights. I know someone was working on a vac formed version which would be cool. Not quite as sturdy, but it is bound to be a bit cheaper!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #9
LordStarFyre
Warrior

True enough Monolith.

I can't imagine how much work goes into creating a full pattern, so I agree, having it for sale is more than fair....

Hehehe even better if the pattern comes with a "How To" gude, for those of us, who shall we say, wouldn't be able to figure out which part is the business end of a sewing machine.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #10
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Yeah...that would include me. I'm hoping that having a pattern in hand with a ton of reference photos and info to boot will make custom costumes much easier to come by. In my best Yoda voice...easy this costume is not!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old September 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #11
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

We also need a source for the gold and black trim that goes on the collars of the tans.

The trim used on the bridge uniform is silver and black.

I don't know anyone who makes that kind of trim, but since I live near the fashion district, here in NY, I can check out some of the stores that sell trims and stuff.
Captain Chirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #12
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

The only place I know of the get the trim is on ebay from Katarra. She offers both the Gold and black and Silver and black braid.

I don't know of any place online or otherwise that offers it.

I work in mid town NYC. Live over in NJ.

It's always noce to know that there are fellow fans so close

Old September 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #13
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Tres cool, dude! What do you do, and where do you work at?

I work in the Bronx, but I, VERY occasionally go into Manhattan, mostly to pick up any good comic books and art supplies.

Does anyone else here live in the Tri-State area? We could arrange a little get together or something.

BTW, thanks for the info about the braid, I'll check her store out on evilbay.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #14
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I work between Port Authority Bus Terminal and Penn Station. I work for a law firm. Always somethign going on in the business lol.

If we could nail down a supplier for the briad and for the jacket buckles, That could go a LONG way for making custom costumes.

I know Orion lives in Jersey near me, not sure who else is in ther area.

Old September 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM   #15
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Live on Long Island, but I'm in Manhattan two or three day a week. Have a friend that works at SVA on 23rd St between 2nd and 3rd Ave. Also have friends down near the village. So is anyone planning to go to Big Apple con in Oct? Another friend is going to be set up there. Come by and buy lots stuff from him and make him happy.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #16
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

No can do.

I spent WAAAAYYYY too much money at DragonCon to go to this one.

Sounds like fun, though. Post pics if you get 'em!

I managed to get some gold/black and silver/black trim from Katarra8 on ebay. 6 yards a piece should do it. I plan to ask her where she gets it from.

Anyhoo, I just had a crack inspired idea. Not that I smoke the stuff, but you get the gist: How about a minor variation of the uniform by having some of the guys wear a Utilikilt?

You wouldn't BELIEVE how many of the guys at D/C wore the things. Some had the legs for it, some didn't, but they didn't care! They wore 'em anyway!

(If only I'd had the courage to ask if they were wearing their tightie whities as well, but I'm a confirmed coward. Don't really want to find out by being flashed in public! LOL!)

If the kilts are done in tan fabric, they'd be a sort of match for the tunic, wouldn't they?

I wonder how Apollo, Starbuck, et al would look in a Utilikilt.

BTW, if you don't know what I'm talking about, go to utilikilts.com, you'll see for yourself.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #17
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I actually have plans to have a Kilt made from the Same fabric the Warrior's Uniform is made from. If it's done in a traditional mannor, not the Utilikilt way (I have a Black Utilikilt myself) Then I'm going to use the jacket closures instead of the buckles.

I'm a member of the Kilted Trooper group of the 501st. And when I was part of the Rebel Legion I had an Orange Utilikilt Custom made. (by a friend, not the actual company)

SO yes, that crack has been shared by at least me lol.

Old September 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #18
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Dude, you gotta post pics of you in that kilt when you get it!

I can just see you in your tunic, jacket, helmet and underneath it all, a tan kilt with the flight boots! LOL!

Just one question though: How are you gonna strap on a blaster over the kilt? Since it straps to your leg, a kilt would just leave it swinging in the breeze, wouldn't it?

No allusion intended, of course.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Nitestar
Just Lost My Cherry!

A question... is there a resource available for the Jacket Buckles?
Nitestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #20
Nitestar
Just Lost My Cherry!

Just curious... does anyone know who made the original buckles for the jacket? What were they actually called?
Nitestar is offline   Reply With Quote