Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old January 8th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #151
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Excalibur! Hi Flamingo! Thanks so much for sharing!

Excalibur, when I was about 4 or 5, I had a friend who lived up the street from me. One day he took me to his house to show me his toys. (No jokes now Rowan ).

On his wall was this sword. He told me it was his great-something grandfather's. He fought in the Civil War... wow, what a cool thing to have as a kid!

Flamingo, I love Galaxy Quest too! Just bought the DVD lately in fact. Who doesn't love Mr. Rickman's wonderfully distasteful deliver of:

"By Grabthar's hammer, you shall be avenged!"

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 12:46 PM   #152
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

No, no, it was
"By Grabthar's Hammer......what a savings."

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #153
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

My callsign, is Ernie90125 and I chose this a while ago. Most people know my real name is Daniel, but whilst I was in school, my nickname was Ernie stemming from my surname (not Ernest but close!) I was usually Ernie when I was doing something crazy...like playing criket in English class etc....

When I first came on the Internet, there was talk of 'odd' people so I decided not to give my real name, so I called myself by my nickname of Ernie....but when I signed up for stuff someome else had usually got the name Ernie. Places would recommed that I add a number on the end...

90125 was the first album I got by my now favourite band, YES. It awakened me to their music, and as I am now working in the music industry, with some of my favourite musicians, including some of the guys in YES...you probably can imagine that the first time I heard 90125 it was a pretty important happening in my life.

Even if I was upset at missing Airwolf for it !

Thus I became Ernie90125 !!!
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #154
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for sharing Ernie!! Wow!! Another music professional!!! CF must be becoming music central!!
Old January 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #155
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur
My dad thought I was crazy, I think, when I got a sword. I was 18 or so I think. Then, on our senior class trip to Florida, we went to the Medevil Times dinner theater, and I bought another sword. One of my classmates went off on me. She was literally screaming at me for spending my money on a sword. Oh well!

Last year I ordered Anduril for myself for Christmas. I waited, and waited, and waited, and I finally got word that it had been sent. But, what arrived was the Witchking sword, so I sent it back. By June I was so mad, I cancelled the order. Maybe one day, I'll get around to getting it.
I don't understand your family and friends reactions to you getting swords , swords are awesome I would love to have some someday. I keep trying to find someone to take fencing lessons with me but no one I know is interested. I love the rapier probably because I can wield it LOL! Some of the bigger swords are impressive but unrealistic for me so they'd have to stay on the wall LOL! Such a shame about the Anduril sword!!
Are you interested in other medieval aspects?
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #156
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Some community colleges offer virtually free fencing classes Rowan, as a P.E. alternative. And most of the participants are women (it's a mostly female sport now, and the top players are almost all women). I think most classes use rapiers. And if you know French, all the better!!

Let's see...

Parér six!
Riposte!
Parér quatre!
Touché!!

Old January 9th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #157
Excalibur
On Vacation...

Battlestar Galactica 2004

I started reading about the legend of King Arthur when I was in high school, but I never finished.

I like that period, but sci-fi was more accessible for me, so, I have had my head in the future more then I have had it in the past.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM   #158
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Battlestar Galactica 1978

My callsign: When I was a kid, I used grab 8 or 20 sheets of manila paper from the elementary school supply and draw the Galactica, the Pegasus, the Solaria, and most of the ships of the rag-tag fleet, (never could get that damn Colonial Movers Ship right!). I eventually took some of the drawings, cut the ships out stuck 'em on my wall.

Being also heavily interested in warships, I thougth quite a bit about Battlestars in general and the Galactica in particular. There had to be some kind of precursor in the Colonial Fleets, as the pre-dreadnought is to the dreadnought, the 'pre-battlestar'. So, using a naval convention, I called the 'pre-battlestars' a 'battlecruiser,' and decided they would all be named for the Colonies. I drew them as smaller than a battlestar, with only two 'arms' attached to the launch bays on the sides. (As a side note, on the naval boards I frequent, I'm 1Big Rich)

Now, my astrological sign (if you believe in that sort of thing) is Aries, so I started a story we would call fan fiction today about one of these battlecruisers before and after the fall of the Colonies.

Shortly after going online and searching for all things battlestar, I saw this:

http://www.shipschematics.net/bsg/im...tar_pulsar.gif

It looked just like my fanciful Colonial Battlecruiser, and was a really a well done schematic to boot. So my 'Battlecruiser Aries' story became Gunstar Aries. When I discovered the Fleets, it seemed a natural....

My Avatar, and my title of "Stubborn Colonial Warsihp" kind of go together. My friends know I'm hard-headed; that little character seemed to suit me fine. And being a Galactica fan is kind of like beating your head against the wall. Hope springs eternal there will be a continuation, if I only pound long enough. And in the Gunstar Aries story, she's critically damaged, but her crew is just too stubborn to give up on, on their ship or themselves.

My sig line used to "You may fire when ready, Gridley," the line Dewey spoke to the Olympia's commander at the Battle of Manila. I credited it to Commander Dewey of the Battlestar Olympia to his gunnery officer Gridley at the battle of Casmoro Archipeligo, where the Olympia was lost according to the technical manual...

But my current Sig revolves around a young player for the Pittsburgh Steelers football team. Antwaan Randel El was quarterback at the University of Indiana before being drafted by the Steelers. I have to wonder if his mother was influenced by George Lucas in picking his name with the 'Alderaan' like spelling. It's been a running joke between my friends and I that he has a name more appropriate for a Jedi Knight than a football player...

Flamingo Girl, Big BIG thumbs up on Galaxy Quest and Rickman!!! Favorties, both, By Grapthar's Hammer!!

Rowan and Excalibur, on the subject of Swords, let me recommend an ebay seller with the user name of 2310. I own a pair of their two-handed swords, and they are EXCELLENT. VERY high quality and the seller is truly a pleasure to do business with. An they're in Canada, too, Rowan. Right now they have a nice 17th century rapier up on ebay, among dozens of other things.

Regards, all,

G A
Old January 9th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #159
Excalibur
On Vacation...

Battlestar Galactica 2004

Thanks Gunstar Aries.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #160
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Excalibur, may I highly recommend, La Morte D'Artur (in English, preferably ). This is the definitive resource for all things Arthurian. Lately, it has come under much criticism as to whether any of it is actually legitimate, however, being a lit' major myself, I have a strong feeling many works like this will turn out much like Homer's Illiad/Odyssey, rooted in fact passed down orally, then decorated over time to (sadly) suspend all belief. There are some other really good versions as well, and if nothing else, you can learn quite a lot about Medieval customs and phraseology. I am not a fan of contemorary fame-gatherers, who like to diss anything that can't be proven with wildly different explanations (which to me, are even more unbelievable), e.g. the new Arthur movie, etc. I really loved reading these stories when I was a child, The Dolorous Stroke, etc, and I'll bet you would too.

Thanks for sharing Gunstar Aries!! Small world, I have always been fascinated by naval design, from biremes up to and including dreadnoughts (after that, not much interest though). Got lots of books on the subject too, even a very rare one (Architectura Navalis Mercatoria - well, it used to be rare anyway). Something about a ship's lines seem "sexy" to me, have no idea why!!! Yep, I am truly a crazy daggit!!

Bet you all think I have an eccentric group of interests!!

Old January 9th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #161
Rowan
On Vacation...

Muffit I speak French fluently I had no idea French came into play in fencing!! (reminds me of when I took ballet) I really need to look into finding a class I'll check out your idea Muffit thanks! By the way are you talking from experience?

Excalibur I’m an odd duck with a fascination with the past and a lust for the future I’m crazy about Sci Fi but I’m equally attracted to the medieval period I love the legend of King Arthur.
Thanks Muffit for the suggested reading I’ve read some but nothing authoritative on it.
Gunstar very interesting and complex story about the development of your user name Your Avatar often makes me smile but now I have a true appreciation for it’s meaning LOL!

Thank you so much for the info about the rapier but I’m too poor at this time to purchase it – unfortunately I’m a starving student at this time I will keep your recommendation in mind though thank you! Every time I go to the Highland Games here in the lower mainland of BC I drool over the swords the swords smith brings ...some day….*big sigh*

Old January 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #162
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan
Muffit I speak French fluently I had no idea French came into play in fencing!! (reminds me of when I took ballet) I really need to look into finding a class I'll check out your idea Muffit thanks! By the way are you talking from experience?
Hi Rowan! Yes, I have taken fencing... but that was a long time ago... I'd probably poke my eye out now before I even got the outfit on...
Old January 9th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #163
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Hi Rowan! Yes, I have taken fencing... but that was a long time ago... I'd probably poke my eye out now before I even got the outfit on...
Muffit if your not making me smile your making me laugh!!
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #164
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Muffit if your not making me smile your making me laugh!!
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #165
kat

Rowan, I was taught french in the public school and I am fine to read most simple stuff eg menus and maps. My son is in the french immersion and is presently in grade one. He will not talk to me because he believes my french is so poor that I am a lost cause. I told him that should he chose not to speak to me in french I would no longer be able to understand his requests for candy in english. Now he constanly corects me until I say the word to his satisfacion. Any advice?

Quote:

Excalibur I’m an odd duck with a fascination with the past and a lust for the future I’m crazy about Sci Fi but I’m equally attracted to the medieval period I love the legend of King Arthur.
Thanks Muffit for the suggested reading I’ve read some but nothing authoritative on it.
Gunstar very interesting and complex story about the development of your user name Your Avatar often makes me smile but now I have a true appreciation for it’s meaning LOL!

Thank you so much for the info about the rapier but I’m too poor at this time to purchase it – unfortunately I’m a starving student at this time I will keep your recommendation in mind though thank you! Every time I go to the Highland Games here in the lower mainland of BC I drool over the swords the swords smith brings ...some day….*big sigh*

Old January 9th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #166
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
Rowan, I was taught french in the public school and I am fine to read most simple stuff eg menus and maps. My son is in the french immersion and is presently in grade one. He will not talk to me because he believes my french is so poor that I am a lost cause. I told him that should he chose not to speak to me in french I would no longer be able to understand his requests for candy in english. Now he constanly corects me until I say the word to his satisfacion. Any advice?
Hi Kat!!!

Can't speak for Rowan, but my advice is, speak Latin to the little rugrat for now on. That'll fix him!!

Okay, I'm silly... too many cokes with grenadine tonight at dinner, LOL! (The waitress was tenacious!! )
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #167
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat

Are some so arrogant of their language that they will inculcate that kind of disrespect even in kids? As if I didn 't have enough reasons to despair...
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:23 AM   #168
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Muffit,

No more eccentric than my own. Let me cordially invite you, and anyone else with an interest in things naval to the Warship Discussion Board, hosted by an online friend, Bob Henneman. Here's the link:

http://p069.ezboard.com/falltheworldsbattlecruisersfrm1

Bob's main site is located at: www.bobhenneman.info/

I'd also suggest those with such interest visit Warships1.com, and check out the discussion boards there, especially Battleship v. Battleship and the Naval Fiction board.

Rowan,

I understand the finances. I've just started grad school, and let's just say disposable income has pretty much been disposed of. I haven't bought anything from Darksword Armory/2310 in a couple of years; but I do check up on what they're listing.

And a 'you're welcome' to both you and Excalibur. I hope if either of you run across any good sword sources or info that you'll share.

Excalibur,

I was a history major, especially studying medieval history. There is plenty of historical evidence for an Aurthur, but he was likely a Romano-Britain (after the Roman's withdrew from the Island) who fought against the Anglo-Saxon invasion. We know from the historical record that the Saxon's suffered several setbacks invading the middle portion of England, and one of the best markers is that shortly after the expected time this Romano-Britain was around, we see a number of "Aurthurs" pop up in history. There had to be some reason people started giving children that name...

I find Autherian legend a great topic, but I'm also interested in the historical Aurthur.

Regards all,

Gunstar Aries
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #169
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
"Green is my signature color...."

Ooooh! Me too! I finally have a forest green Jeep Cherokee, my very favorite color in the world. The guy I am seeing (who works as a state trooper) insists that it is "Trooper green, which is a damn fine color"...

http://www.nh.gov/safety/nhsp/cprphoto.html

Of course, the tannish color on the uniform is referred to as "Trooper Pink" so I make sure to jibe him about that, you know how men are about wearing pink...

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #170
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up Name changed from potemkin to

Taranis...................
potemkin is dead, long live Taranis.
Why a name change, fair question and this is how I well answer.
Why not, muuuhaha, ha ha. Ahem!
No.???
Ok well I never really expected to still be here, after all this time. while I have signed up, to other Websites. But this is the only site that I really return to on a regular bases, and because of it I have Started to get in touch with my creative side again, from the art pictures of the Galactica or a fanfic.

So I want to change my name to something that reflects me, potemkin was only a handy name When I originally signed up.
As I have been greatly influenced by many of the members here, From the discussions in the threads themselves, to the artists and talents of so many.
And feel very much apart of this community. so much so my long dormant and rusty skills of art and so on have been revived.
when i see the works of martok, stevew, westy,thomas7g, and so many more
i was so full of admiration, I would like to say thank you all.

I spent a while looking for a name that I like, the has some link with me (however small). I was thinking of Thor which Norse, but decided against it and went for his Celtic counterpart Taranis.

Taranis the thunderer, whose name comes from the Gaelic meaning 'thunder', was one of three pan-Celtic gods forming the great triad. With Esus and Teutatis. He was seen as the Lord of the Wheel of the seasons and is part of the mainland Europeans Celt tribes, in France and Spain mainly. but not Ireland i think, but what the hell, I am of Celtic stock. etc
The association of Taranis with Fire, the fire of the skies, the Sun, and the fire of the air, lightening and its voice thunder, giving the God his name, Taranis..
signed Taranis. (formally known as potemkin.)

I will be changing my picture in a while to go along with the name change.
look out for my first fanfic its coming soon.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #171
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Taranis...................
potemkin is dead, long live Taranis.
Why a name change, fair question and this is how I well answer.
Why not, muuuhaha, ha ha. Ahem!
No.???
Ok well I never really expected to still be here, after all this time. while I have signed up, to other Websites. But this is the only site that I really return to on a regular bases, and because of it I have Started to get in touch with my creative side again, from the art pictures of the Galactica or a fanfic.

So I want to change my name to something that reflects me, potemkin was only a handy name When I originally signed up.
As I have been greatly influenced by many of the members here, From the discussions in the threads themselves, to the artists and talents of so many.
And feel very much apart of this community. so much so my long dormant and rusty skills of art and so on have been revived.
when i see the works of martok, stevew, westy,thomas7g, and so many more
i was so full of admiration, I would like to say thank you all.

I spent a while looking for a name that I like, the has some link with me (however small). I was thinking of Thor which Norse, but decided against it and went for his Celtic counterpart Taranis.

Taranis the thunderer, whose name comes from the Gaelic meaning 'thunder', was one of three pan-Celtic gods forming the great triad. With Esus and Teutatis. He was seen as the Lord of the Wheel of the seasons and is part of the mainland Europeans Celt tribes, in France and Spain mainly. but not Ireland i think, but what the hell, I am of Celtic stock. etc
The association of Taranis with Fire, the fire of the skies, the Sun, and the fire of the air, lightening and its voice thunder, giving the God his name, Taranis..
signed Taranis. (formally known as potemkin.)

I will be changing my picture in a while to go along with the name change.
look out for my first fanfic its coming soon.
First of all no matter what your name is .......I'm glad you came back.

Welcome home.

On my avatar .........I wanted something that was me .......only cuter.
I happen to like dogs. So I picked this one.

On my new title ..............see the thwack thread. Pray that you aren't the one being thwacked
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #172
Gravitas
Shades of Gray

My Callsign: Gravitas was a word mentioned in the commentary of the Mini-Series, I just liked how it sounded.
What does Gravitas mean?:
Gravitas
1. Substance; weightiness: a frivolous biography that lacks the gravitas of its subject.

2. A serious or dignified demeanor: “Our national father figure needs gravitas, [but] he's pitched himself as the kid brother” (John Leo).
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #173
gmd3d
Major

thanks shiningstar, am I going to be twacked , cool .

i like the name Gravitas, nice sound "Grav- i -tas....."

Old January 12th, 2005, 02:23 AM   #174
Gravitas
Shades of Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
i like the name Gravitas, nice sound "Grav- i -tas....."
Thanx.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #175
BRG
Warrior

Superman/Smallville New Sig?

Taranis

I like the new name, and the very cool avatar!

Also I just noticed your sig! One of my favorite moments in any film, Jor-El's stirring speach before we see the fully costumed Superman in the Fortress(brilliantly delivered by Brando!).
Is this new along with the name & avatar, or did Potemkin have this sig?
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #176
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Thanks BRG. potemkin did have the sig for a while ..
thanks I have been watching the Supermans movie alot lately. even went out and got in on dvd. and have the music on disc, and play it while writing .

Old January 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #177
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Mine was simple, a couple of years back I wrote a TV pilot (never did try selling it--yet) about an Archangel who was being punished be being temporarily exiled to Earth in an attempt to regain faith in humanity. Not sure if the crime fit the punishment, but oh well.

As for the really terific Avatar, Rowan found it for me, but for it to actually match the character, he'd need to have a sword in one hand and a full beer stein in the other.

He's more like the character John Travolta played in "Michael"
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #178
kat

Thanks Muffit, that is good advice... at least I will have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Hi Kat!!!

Can't speak for Rowan, but my advice is, speak Latin to the little rugrat for now on. That'll fix him!!

Okay, I'm silly... too many cokes with grenadine tonight at dinner, LOL! (The waitress was tenacious!! )
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #179
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Well, my current name in MSN is "I'm only a LITTLE obsessed", and it's all about the Rickman. Someone challenged my obsession with him once, and I said I owned 17 DVds with him in them. Since he has only made around 25 movies, that is impressive enough.

And so the (latest) love of my life managed to cause a bit of giggling around the world when I learned his name. Alan. And his last name starts with "R". One friend has said that it's fate. I kind of hope so.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #180
Rowan
On Vacation...

Please I want some more....