Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:54 PM   #1
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Default Another question Galactica music

Obviously it's a given that the fans would want the original music in a new project of Galactica but if you could add a song to update it a bit, what would it be? Do you have a favorite song that you wouldn't mind hearing in a continuation? I can in vision Commander Apollo up in the celestial doom all by him self reflecting on all the great triumphs and loses over the last 25 yarhens. The loss of his father and his great words of wisdom echoing in his head as he stairs at the stars and wonders if Starbuck is still alive out there, while in the background we hear some deep meaningful music by Mike Oldfield.

Or some Rock music jamming out during a fight scene in space. The original music would take center stage of course but could you hear something else being added to a continuation?

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:23 PM   #2
The Blue Mule
Warrior

If someone put a gun to my head i'd have to have a song sung in various old laguages latin, greek, roman, etc by different opera singers to keep it timeless just so it would fit with galactica feel. However if i was a director...NO SONGS at all . Too "marketing" thinking and to me its a sell out. Galactica relly doesnt lend its self to hip or pop crapsongs like Titanics or the nonsence from the Matrix films.

Just my opinion.

Rich
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:54 PM   #3
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Hey that's cool. I welcome all opinions because I'm looking to see what the fans think. Thanks

OWD

OWD
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:38 PM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I think you would need a variety of styles, and I think you would need them specially written for the production. I'm thinking in terms of the classic rock songs you now hear on commercials; conflicting images come into the mind seeing one thing and hearing something otherwise familiar.

Rock - guitars, drums, the whole nine yards - during combat scenes. Think Top Gun or Iron Eagle. Dramatic, symphonic music for the grandeur of space, of the Galactica herself. None of that should have vocals, though.

I'm a fan of the styles of U2, for example, Godsmack, Metallica, James Gallway - all totally different, but all those styles could be used in a score for BSG.

OK, I'm mostly asleep now - as if you couldn't tell. Good night.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 01:06 AM   #5
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

OWD, in the Celestial Dome or genertal fleet shots QEII by Mike Oldfied.

Regards,

Peter
Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:31 AM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Not songs but themes

I wouldn't mind if they mixed in some of the music from Gladiator or Crimson Tide. Both scores are EPIC.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:06 AM   #7
The Blue Mule
Warrior

God please dont do this. Its my nightmare: "Galactica Cum Matrix"

If the new galalctica follows this path of Hip and Cool crap for teengers It no better then what Moore is doing,and that goes for Larson and Desanto as well. (Remember walking vipers)

NO SONGs Please.

If a song is to be added into the exsisting show keep it timeless,or present an original song that enhances the feeling of the people who are TRYING TO SURVIVE! (Prehaps a ype of Christmas Holy night, an important religious holiday song of hope, or prehaps its part of a grand opera that dates befor the first cylon encounter that parallels what happened to the colonies) If galalctica starts again with the YEEHAA, now adding the rock music during the battles and some asinine song ballad as the warriors "greese" up for battle, walking in slow motion icy mist at their feet as they head for their fighters it will just be doing what all those trendy sci fi show that have failed were trying to do - No writing just gimicks.

Space above and Beyond had a horrible example. Some teen hotshot puts on a rock song during battle and acts all too hip in a dire situation....too Top Gun, too stomach turning.

Peeps,Galactica needs to redeem itself to be something better than the sum of its parts, when it was a tv show with idots ruining what the main point should have been, the show suffered. If the new film makers take this "Marketed:tried and true" approach galactica will fail i can assure you. But at least if galactica is produced as a serious film we dont need to care about revenue,I rather have galactica redeem itself with positive mature story telling that is timeless and enduring and I rather have it a CRITICAL sucess than a financial one.

Both is nice, but galactica is now in the negative always has been by the masses, and if you do it wrong it will fail.

It has to be tremndously crafted with a feeling of opulance and grandure, I dont want to see teenage punks prancing around with a know it all stature saving the fleet, cornball rock music ruining the feeling of hope. You want rock music? go listen to the radio. Ive always and i mean always have been ripped away from the drama presented on screen by some rock song or love song.

It's like watching a movie with the radio on.

This is what I am afraid of for Galactica! Please if you guys who do get in a position to help galactica(which Is what I want to do) Please Please dont follow that path. I will consider it a cop out and an insult to me, therefore a failure.

Your Friend,

Richard E. Kranz
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:23 AM   #8
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Score...

Any new Galactica must have some orchestral score with maybe a "newer" sounding electronic edgy instrumental music as well...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:11 AM   #9
The Blue Mule
Warrior

Newer? edgy? UGH!

Common people!

You are starting to scare me.

Rich
Old September 29th, 2003, 04:52 PM   #10
Ian_W359
Warrior

Apologies in advance if I get the wrong idea about this....

As an example of fusing rock/pop music with an orchestral soundtrack, I would suggest something along the lines of 'Gundam Wing' (excluding the vocal tracks). I think it worked pretty well, with both exciting battle themes and moving orchestral pieces (some tunes appeared as both!), also some came in-between (mid-tempo).

In fact, when I was in a Galactica online RPG a year or two ago, I used to listen to some of the tracks while I wrote....

Ian_W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #11
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Well now that the cat is out of the Bag, I can say that the reason why I asked all these questions is do to the new audio episode of Galactica that Warrior and I are doing. The dream sequence put up by Warrior is just a small piece of the project. It's a sample of what's to come although the piece has no music and the whole project will not be humorous.

At the least, I'm hoping for a 47 minute episode like the original. At the most I'm hoping for an audio movie.
No mater what I use for music, the original score is not replaceable and will always take center stage.

OWD

OWD
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #12
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Yes the Warriors Anthem. lol

OWD

OWD
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #13
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Hey, OWD

I have MTV Music Generator for Sony Playstation...if you want, I could try to work on some music for your audio drama.
With Music Generator, I can take samples from a CD and rework them, in addition to my own music I could provide, and come up with something you might find mindblowing. I already did some music for a friend's audio drama (that as I understand it is finally back underway again), using samples from (another famous sci-fi). With the Music Generator, I can break up that music, and make it sound like something completely different, especially when I use other instruments in the MG.
Whaddaya think,
Respectfully,
martok2112
Old September 30th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #14
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

Well it sounds like you are doing the same stuff I am with the computer. I got my hands on a program called Orchestal and did a musical score to another Galactica project that I and a few others had on the go. It was unbelievable how real it sounded was compared to a real Orchestra.

Like I said in another thread, Cool edit is the cats meow in my book. Another great program is Fruity loops. Ya I know the name sucks lol but the program is great for a drum machine. It has all the fake sounding drums but you can put samples of real drums in there ,do your patterns per bar and then place the patterns where ever to make a complete drum track. You can also download each piece as it's own wav, put it in cool edit and work on your complete kit for sound , one piece at a time just as you would in a studio.

By all means send me your samples for the project.
Thanks
OWD

OWD
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:53 PM   #15
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Cool...

Will do as soon as I get everything up and running.

martok2112
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:08 PM   #16
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

SciFiPulse.net

Personally I cannot think of a song as such. But one thing I would probably want to try if I was in charge of music and all that jazz. Is to keep the original Stu Phillips theme, only as apposed to having everything as orchestral, perhaps have a guitarist like Steve Vie play a few Galactica type themes for the heavy battle scenes. While for the more sentimental moments have some soft orhestral scores playing. Or perhaps combine rock guitare and drum beats with orchestral and synth music. Utilising music composed by Stu Phillips and any other composers that may be involved.

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:56 PM   #17
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

RadioGalactica

I agree Ian and as it stands now, no vocals will be in the music part of the project except for talking but I am open to suggestions. The one piece of music that I'm looking forward to using is By Mike Oldfield. The album is called Songs of Distant earth. I was using this music with Galactica long before I knew the title of the album and songs so I would say it's destiny.

There is also a song on there called Magellan.

I have all of Stu's Galactica works so have no fear, it will take center stage. Besides, the music is one of the biggest things that made Galactica what it still is today. Something Moore will never get but who cares because it may be in audio but we are getting our continuation.

OWD

OWD
Old October 1st, 2003, 10:49 PM   #18
nightscape2112
Warrior

i have a few songs in mind, one that to me is very upifting is "niki nana (we're one)" by yanni. the song is so full of life it is just beautifull. another wonderfull song by yanni is "aria" it is a relaxing peacefull song. both niki nana and aria have vocals, in a way.

two other yanni songs that i love are "one mans dream" and "acroyali (standing in motion)" neither of these have vocals. one mans dream might fit in the dream sequence very well.

i love all music but would not want to hear a progressive rock group in the score.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote