Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Default You know you are a 'superfan' when........

any of the below (feel free to add your own definitions) I'll start:

When thinking of names for your unborn child, you suggest 'Apollo' to your other half.
(or any other character)

When you realise that your 'original' magazine purchased Viper pilot jacket doesn't fit anymore due to middle aged spread so you buy a larger size and justify it by saying that the first one "wasn't screen accurate"!

When you blow several months wages on a full cylon suit.

When it's been 30 years and you are still hoping for a continuation.

When you drive for 5 hours to a convention to meet the cast and hug every one of them!
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Jayworld
Warrior

Default Re: You know you are a 'superfan' when........

When you've gotten Richard Hatch to sign several items for your collection (8x10s, his books, the PS2 game cover), and you still go to conventions to get his signature, as well as Dirk and Herb's signatures.

When your first choice for your 2nd child's name if he/she was a girl was "Maren".
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Benedict
Warrior

when 'felgercarb' is the most uttered curse upon seeing a queue.

I'll work on the rest.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:51 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion Draco View Post
When thinking of names for your unborn child, you suggest 'Apollo' to your other half.
(or any other character)

No chance of any of the names been used.

When you realise that your 'original' magazine purchased Viper pilot jacket doesn't fit anymore due to middle aged spread so you buy a larger size and justify it by saying that the first one "wasn't screen accurate"!

Never had jacket and would possibly not buy one

No chance, would spend on some other things. New more powerful PC as I would use it more

I am still hoping for a continuation is some form

When you drive for 5 hours to a convention to meet the cast and hug every one of them!
Never had the opportunity to go to a convention , not been a hugger I would shake hands or in the case of the ladies , kiss

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Centurion Draco
Equal rights for Cylons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Never had the opportunity to go to a convention , not been a hugger I would shake hands or in the case of the ladies , kiss
Yeah, you say that now
Suprising how easy it is to throw an arm around your childhood heroes!

I have pictures of me 'hugging' teh stars too!

Nothing to clingy, I didn't get dragged out of the convention.
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #6
Jubal
Warrior

Muffit Re: You know you are a 'superfan' when........

Quote:
(From Various above....)

When thinking of names for your unborn child, you suggest 'Apollo' to your other half.(or any other character)
Does wanting to call your child "Lucifer" fall into this category. :P

Quote:
Didn't have one. Wish I did. I think I getting to the point where I am about to make or buy my first jacket and then later replace it with one better.

Quote:
Just about there. Love collecting armor to a point and a classic Cylon would be great.

Quote:
Always. I think it would be great to have them continue as they meet Buck Rogers and crew. Do I get extra points for that level of geekiness?

Quote:
In Dallas you can see Richard Hatch, Anne Lockhart, and Herb Jefferson with little effort, but I really want to see Dirk Benedict. So I might have to travel to California for something like that.

Quote:
when 'felgercarb' is the most uttered curse upon seeing a queue.
Does "Frak" count?

Quote:
When you've gotten Richard Hatch to sign several items for your collection (8x10s, his books, the PS2 game cover), and you still go to conventions to get his signature, as well as Dirk and Herb's signatures.
I do that, just to see them again and again (and welcome them to Dallas.) Always good to see them. They are all interesting people and beyond that they helped flesh out Battlestar. But it is always great to talk to them and hear how things have been before and after.

Quote:
Suprising how easy it is to throw an arm around your childhood heroes!
Aren't they cool?

Quote:
When your first choice for your 2nd child's name if he/she was a girl was "Maren".
I think I would want to name a child Starbuck. :P

So ones I would add for someone like myself that for the most part was strapped for money... till lately.

- You climb into a car and think of it as a Viper.
- You open the garage door and hear in your head "Probe one ready for launch, you are clear to launch."
- If you ever ride a motorcycle you want to get a Viper helmet from the classic series.
- Whenever you are driving or biking into the darkness of night you hear Stu Phillips music playing in your head. The music where Apollo or Starbuck would be exploring, flying along in the Viper.
- You could swear a Viper would fly and want to make a prototype jet with the Viper design.
- You want to play a game of Pyramid, but not sure how many would actually play. Then you dream of making a Pyramid game for your favorite game system.
- You want to make a Viper pilot coat, but modify a little to wear in everyday life.

Then there are the really geeky aspects, techical aspects:

- You wonder where Starbuck got a cigar from.
- You realize that the game that Apollo, Starbuck, and Boomer play frmo the Mayans was only played by hitting the ball only with the hip. Then you think it would have been hilarious to see the actors try to pull that off. :P
- You realize there is no sound in space, but think the thrusters, lasers, and explosions sound cool and therefore you don't care.
- You wonder exactly how big the original Galactica really was.
- You wonder how many original series Star Trek Enterprises would have fit into the Galactica.

And after all the brainstorming done above, I just realized the best thing that would set a fan apart from the rest...

- You think Daggits were cool.

(And with this message I make my 100th message, and go from being a Shuttle Pilot to a Warrior... woot!!)
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
And after all the brainstorming done above, I just realized the best thing that would set a fan apart from the rest...

- You think Daggits were cool.

(And with this message I make my 100th message, and go from being a Shuttle Pilot to a Warrior... woot!!)
Congrats on making the warrior roster!!

I look at current developments in robotics and think they are close enough to make a Boxey a decent robo daggit...

and I want one
Cheers,
Lara
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #8
Benedict
Warrior

Getting into a lift [elevator] entertaining the notion that when the doors open on the ground floor there might just be the Ovion Mines and the grisly sight therein.

Well, as a kid I did. Nine years old and after seeing Saga of a Star World. Made me wish I had the cape, the blaster and some damsel shouting: "Starbuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

Never mind.

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Jubal
Warrior

LOL Re: You know you are a 'superfan' when........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
Getting into a lift [elevator] entertaining the notion that when the doors open on the ground floor there might just be the Ovion Mines and the grisly sight therein.

Well, as a kid I did. Nine years old and after seeing Saga of a Star World. Made me wish I had the cape, the blaster and some damsel shouting: "Starbuuuuuuuuuuuuck!"

Never mind.
You know, there are two really cool looks for the viper pilots. The one with the coat was one, but the cape one was nice too. Heck.. nice... it was just cool. The way they would take that action pose with the blaster held at arms length in front of them.

I won't lie, in first grade I was in the playground, wearing my windbreaker like the cape, pretending I was shooting Cylons.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Benedict
Warrior

The cape was something special. People I know who like the other newer show mock the cape.

As for the playground if I vaguely remember at my primary school we had a kind of crooked tunnel that cut through from the courtyard onto the playing field, this < shape...anyway, I would pretend to re-enact the chase through the Carillon tunnels there onto the courtyard.

Childhood was both fun and yet lonely

Old November 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

When you spend well over $100 on Ebay getting old Sidi Full-Bores that are so beat up you need to learn how to become a fracking BOOTSMITH to bring 'em back to life!
Old November 18th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #12
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolloisall View Post
When you spend well over $100 on Ebay getting old Sidi Full-Bores that are so beat up you need to learn how to become a fracking BOOTSMITH to bring 'em back to life!
Find a bootmaker to copy em, and leave the originals as an object of admiration in the corner.. vintage sidis are a work of art

Now I will admit that we were buying a new couch last weekend and I was choosing the fabric when the sales guy dropped a pile of microsuede swatches in my lap including colours of blue, caramel, coffee and brown and MY first thought was 'what couch? I want a uniform made out of this stuff..."

Cheers
Lara