Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Forget 2012 - We won't make it that far!

The wife and I opted to get our Ancient Astronaut fix and just finished watching "Chariots of the Gods" and "The Outer Space Connection". The latter ends with the Mayan prediction of the return of visitors from space. This film was the first time I'd heard of the Mayan end of the world prediction. In this interpretation, the world as we know it ends because the ancients from outer space return.

Now, the 2012 prediction is pretty popular.

Imagine my surprise to learn that the end of the Mayan timeline doesn't occur in 2012 but THIS SATURDAY, Dec 24 2011.

REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKlcheOXx00

.. and ...

REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq2l6...eature=related

... and ...

REF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=023SN..._order&list=UL

Apparently, in the 1970s, the calendar was predicted to be 2011 and was later changed to 2012. The guy above says his star software (Solarium?) predicts we will have an eclipse all day, even though he can't find anything about it on the web.

May as well go out Friday and have a really nice dinner. If you can't afford it -- put it on the credit card! By the time the bill arrives in your mailbox, money will be useless.

Watch the skies.

Russell
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Re: Forget 2012 - We won't make it that far!

There's a pretty good summary on the NASA site about the Mayan calculations and birth of the "End of the World" scenario related to them.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fea...012-guest.html

This article implies that it wouldn't be a good idea to run up your credit card.

Russell
Old December 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Although I certainly don't the world will end in Dec of 2012, I do find it interesting just how many prophesies from all over the world seem to converge at or near one particular point in time.
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Benedict
Warrior

I seem to recall around 2000 a newspaper article saying that according to some calendar it was actually 2024 or something so the Millennium Bug thing was a false alarm. Forget the article and it's years ago anyway.
Happy 2035 and all that.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:51 PM   #5
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

I've always believed the Y2K concerns about computer failures causing havoc were well founded. Then along came an army of nerds heroes from around the world fixed the problems and saved the day.

I too have heard that we have throughout history mis-counted a few years here and there.
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:14 PM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

After it all blows over and we're still here, who buys the ambrosia?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:05 AM   #7
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

A long while back I read a book called "The History of the End of the World".

It detailed doomsday predictions since the year 100 AD and onward, starting with the cult that sprang up shortly after the death of Jesus and lived on Lake Tiberius. They were convinced that since Jesus promised he would return and bring paradise, that engaging further in the real world activities would be folly. When the world didn't end, their children opted to start working again.

Another huge flap hit around the year 1000, a time where many claimed God wouldn't allow man to continue into quad digits. No logic there but it was enough to spark the equal of wild parties and wanton abandon of everything until the year 1001 when again, folks had to pay the piper and move on.

I read this at the time that the media was predicting that Reagan was going to spark the nuclear holocaust because he dared challenge the Russians. I heard the same claims when Daddy Bush first invaded Iraq and again when we invaded Afghanistan. Both were the beginning of World War Three.

Now, in 2012, the planets will align and the Earth's magnetic field will shift, flooding everything. Problem is, the planets aligned in the same way in the 80s and somehow we made it through without much hassle. 2012 is supposed to be different.

What I found interesting in "The Outer Space Connection" prediction was that is was the origin of the 2012 prediction (first time I know it was made public). Then, somewhere along the way, they said "Oooops!" and shifted the date from 2011 to 2012. Further, I read an article on Yahoo yesterday that said the more accurate translation put the end of the Mayan Calendar in Oct 2011, so we've already passed it.

Sometimes you just can't rely on those ancient astronaut translations.

All my best,

Russell
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM   #8
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
I've always believed the Y2K concerns about computer failures causing havoc were well founded. Then along came an army of nerds heroes from around the world fixed the problems and saved the day.

I too have heard that we have throughout history mis-counted a few years here and there.
I think I heard that either 2036 or 2063 is supposed to be the next big computer-based Y2K-like glitch, when long-integer cast types run out of space for date/time stamps. Not sure.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM   #9
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

After 2012, someone should write a new book detailing all of the more recent predictions. They'd have a lot of new material !

Foreword by Harold Camping ?
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Well, if the end was on Dec. 24th of this year, looks like I have rent to pay for next month seeing as to how it didn't happen afterall...frack!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote