Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 26th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Where To Begin.

What is wrong with it, well everything. Can it be fixed? With a major rewrite.

1)Using the characters original names as handles is bad because it reminds the fans of TOS Galactica and is a blatant slap in the face. Moore should have used just the names such as Kara Thrace so we can't make a connection.

2)The Galactica isn't a museam but rather a majestic ship in the heavens.

3)Bringing Cain back but reimagined. Big NO..No. I would rather see a Larson Pegasus movie.

4)Ignorance of fan base. Here you have an audience but decide in favor of a new test audience. I did mention this when I submitted a question to Eric Chu.

5)Humanoid Cylons built by us. Look at my Cylon/Human/Plaything post.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Agelastus
Warrior

So the question is - is there anything that can be lived with and anything that must be changed.

Better to concentrate on a few and have some effect rather than scattershot and be ignored. For example, a female Starbuck is definitely in the latter category as something that must be changed.

However, perhaps the android Cylon spy can be lived with - after all, Baltar's motivations in the original series were a tad one dimensional (and after the pilot, just opaque!)
Old April 26th, 2003, 12:52 PM   #3
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Agelastus
- after all, Baltar's motivations in the original series were a tad one dimensional (and after the pilot, just opaque!)
This is the place to 'fix' the mini - not to bash TOS. Those are two different subjects.

Thanks......ojai22
Old April 26th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #4
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I didn't see Agelastus' comment as a bash, ojai, but as more a criticism. While Baltar's motivation in the pilot was clear - Caprica subjugated under him as part of the Cylon Empire - the revengefulness against Adama was not explored much at all - why he'd be so dead-set on destroying Adama after the Cylons had pretty much betrayed his trust.

One of the factor's I'd change (among them all, but it fits the point of this post) is Baltar's motivation, and return it to the lust for power over his fellow man - not the lust over a female and the promise of some future reward, then discovering he was deceived.

The MooreRon abortion could be reworked, with few cast changes, into a true remake with the possibility of a continuation as a future series or series of movies. Note, I don't advocate that, but depending on how far into the production they are this could be done with a minimum of extra money spent.

Hell, I'd even volunteer to re-write it for them at greatly reduced rates.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #5
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
I didn't see Agelastus' comment as a bash, ojai, but as more a criticism.

I am
Dawg
I repeat, this forum is not for critizing, 'bashing' or discussing TOS. It's about criticizing or discussing the mini. If you want to 'bash' it, I assume that's okay, too.

Is there a problem in seeing the difference? Look again at the title of this Forum: Galactica 03: Fixing It.
Old April 26th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Sorry, ojai, poor word choice on my part. Substitute "illustration" for "criticism".

Baltar's motivations need to be brought more in line with the original, and developed further than it was in TOS, in my opinion (and that's how I read Agelastus' post, too). This thought also assumes a less-than-complete re-write into a more faithful remake, rather than the continuation we all want.

My own view is that the current script should be scrapped outright and any film shot so far dumped in order to really fix this production.

Is that clearer?

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 12:38 AM   #7
Scooter2000
COMPLETELY BANNED

Default Ojai sweetie

For a writer to throw a bone or two to the other side of an issue that he or she opposes is not necessary a bad thing. It makes the author look more open minded in his or her agrument.

For Example:

"From what I read from the script, that President Roslin character seems pretty interesting." There you see I threw Ron Moore a bone.

Then I go in for the attack "but that President Roslin character destroys everything that was honorable, wise and noble about Commander Adama as a matter of fact Ron's version of Adama just plains sucks and yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah."

I may be wrong but I don't think that Agelastus crossed any lines on bashing the original series.

Look at the Moore Fans! Just read their posts about their unconditional love for the script. Everything in the script to them is just perfect. They cannot find one flaw and that is why you can see how phony they are.

We on the other hand can talk about our love and passion for the original series but still point out the flaws that it has.

That's what makes us real and them a manufactured group of phonies.

I am not saying that they are phonies. They just rub off on me that way when I read their posts.

PS Ron and Dave if you are reading this, do not think I will watch your POS just because I threw you a bone.

-Ronald D. Moore-
Scooter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #8
JSC1
Warrior

Default Rewrite the script...

...at a reduced rate?

I'd do the job for nothing if I could.

And I would do what I could to keep Ron's story intact, but to make sure it was something Original series fans could watch.

The characters in this could stand on their own merits, and not have token connections to the original. Unfortunately as it is now this script butchers the original and what makes it great.

Any one of us would love to make this a masterpiece that everyone could enjoy. But Ron doesn't want to get his head out of his a**.
JSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #9
ojai22
Dancing Viper Queen

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I see going off on TOS in this thread as a disservice to Kingfish who started it. All I'm asking is courtesy for the threadstarter. The end.
Old April 28th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #10
Agelastus
Warrior

Default Re: Where To Begin.

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
Can it be fixed? With a major rewrite.
Ojai22

If you feel that my post was doing a disservice to the topic of the thread or its starter, Fine. that is your opinion.

However, given the question was along the lines of "can it be fixed" then a serious discussion of what needs fixing is not inappropriate. My opinion on the issue of a remake have been made clear elsewhere, as has my opinion of Moore's production.

I rate the riginal series as in the top five science-fiction programmes of all time, but I am not blind to the fact that it had flaws, or aspects that could be improved upon either in a continuation or a remake.

Still, very well. Given your precedence I will not post in this part of Colonial Fleets again.

Old May 4th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default After Reading more

I have come to one conclusion:It can't be fixed because it is BAD.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #12
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

What's wrong with it?? Everything.
Can it be fixed? Probably not.
Solution: Burn the script and start over!

No, scratch that. The only change that I would make to RDM's effort is to rename it, Battlestar Psychotica.

On a serious note:

The re-imagining completely misses the point. The show is NOT about the Humans vs. the Cylons. It certainly isn't about the 'realistic' items that RDM wrote about. The point is that the humans and Cylons are both pawns in a larger war between the Beings of Light and the Forces of Darkness, i.e., Count Iblis and his followers.

That is what TOS alluded to and that is the direction that any effort, either the current one or any subsequent, should go.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote