Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 27th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default A Galactica Future?

Galacticon has come and gone has as the release of the complete series on DVD, so what pray tell happens now?

Well as I see it either the show falls into obscurity or we work to keep it alive, as we’ve done these many years.

I prefer the latter option.

In this life, one rarely gets something for nothing, and keeping interest in the show is never going to be easy, There have been no new episodes for 24 years, and in the U.S. its appearance on your TV screens doesn’t even rate use of the word sporadic, but people remember the show.

Galactica fandom is like the rag-tag fleet itself, spread over the surface of this planet, sometimes in the most unexpected places!

Galactica fandom’s lack of cohesion has always been its Achilles heel, but now that’s got to change, it must change, if we’re still going to be discussing the show, in a year or 25 years from now.

There are Galactica/Galactica-related websites all over the internet, yet do they ever cooperate with each other in safeguarding the show? No!

There are all of these little electronic empires with their respective kings and queens, lords and ladies of all they survey, but if they don’t unite, try fresh ideas and let go of their pride, they will soon be monarchs without any subjects.

In my three years on the internet, the names of the fans who have dropped from Galactica fandom’s scanners are innumerable, and you know what, I mourn the loss of every one, because they believed in the dream of the show returning, believed in its message and the actors who played their heroes and the men and women who made their adventures spring to celluloid life week after week (except when pre-empted).

There still out there somewhere, it’s our job to bring them back into the fold, because with them we are stronger.

As a fandom we must take back our show. Over the years we have attached ourselves to people who were in a position to bring it back, but before these people ever appeared or re-appeared, the show was already ours, it was ours the minute it left the air.

Everything we must do to continue that story left unfinished 24 years ago, must first serve us, before it serves someone else, in the end we are the ones who pay the money and feel the joy or the pain.

Money. In the end that is lowest common denominator, cold hard cash, the thing that sorts the men from the boys. They don’t call it show business for nothing.

We can sign all the petitions and write all the letters we want, but in the end Mr Studio Executive is always going to say: “Show me the money!” Or more precisely: “Show me how much money I can make without hardly spending any!”

Right now Battlestar Galactica fans, and the nameless faceless who remember the show, are showing the bean counters of the Black Tower how much money their property and future franchise can make.

It must not stop, it can’t stop, it’s up to everyone of us to promote this DVD release, tell your friends, if you’re feeling generous buy ‘em a set for Christmas, or buy them the movie version if you’re strapped for cash.

Every BSG website should have on their front page an ad for the set and a link to where you can buy them from!

It doesn’t stop there either, there’s a console game coming out that features two of the original stars and the original ship and designs from the at the moment aborted Tom DeSanto version of the show. There’s a behind the scenes book, a new set of trading cards, a company (Factory X) that has the licence to manufacture high end merchandise.

The BSG websites should be promoting these products and even more importantly we should be buying them!

Mr Studio Executive is going to be going over the figures that these products generate, and you know the one thing he likes most of all in the world is making money. So it is in the realm of possibility that he can come down from the mountain and say: “You have done well my faithful consumers, would you pay us more of your hard-earned green to watch what you’ve all been shouting about for so long?”

Galactica fans everywhere would shout a resounding: “Yes!” And there would be dancing in the streets and small children would have smiles on their faces and they would all be a little poorer but they would not resent it.

That’s the dream given form, I still believe in it, after watching the show on DVD it all came back to me, all the reasons why I’ve loved Battlestar Galactica for 25 years, and I’d do almost anything within reason to expedite the dream.

The question is: Are you all still up for it? After 25 years of being told your opinion doesn’t matter, are you still willing to fight for what you believe in?

I hope your answer is “Yes!”
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:50 PM   #2
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Still on Vacation

I'm still on vacation infact checking my e-mail at a dear friends house. I will return on Friday with opinions on Battlestar's future and full post mission report on Galacticon...Warrior will probably have stuff up real soon at battlestargalactica.com.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #3
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Peter, i know it's been hammered on before and we've been severly disappointed time and time again. Believe me i've been at this stinken thing for 10 years! But i believe it's never been better to be a Battlestar Galactica fan.

Believe, the original is still very much alive and if your up to it so am i. Besides, i'm not finished.

Old October 27th, 2003, 02:41 PM   #4
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

"By the Lords Of Kobol we need a Galactica continuation movie."
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:48 PM   #5
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
By the Lords Of Kobol we need a Galactica continuation movie
By your command.
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:51 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I would have to say that the saddest part is that all of these yahren have past. BG should have been brought back when B5 hit the airwaves. Heck both John Colicos and Lloyd Bridges were with us. If they had to recast the Adama role then I could have seen Heston in it.
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:54 PM   #7
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Titon, I hope every fan who watches the DVD will find their hidden reserves to continute the fight for Battlestar Galactica!

Peter
Old October 27th, 2003, 03:00 PM   #8
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default A Continuation Informercial

Titon maybe you should create one of these. I loved you remake opposition video.
Old October 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #9
jjrakman

I'm up for the fight,

But we need a leader, someone to follow who would tell all the warriors with fight left in them how best to act in support5 of a continuation. We need an anchor from which all other forums and web sites would take que.

That's the only way I see us becoming a more cohesive fighting force. And being cohesive is the only way we can gain victory.
Old October 27th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #10
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Titon
Believe, the original is still very much alive and if your up to it so am i. Besides, i'm not finished.

I'm not finished either...though I may sleep for a few days first.

Don: you do beautiful work, by the way; please pass the same on to Lee and Mark...The foundation imaging trailer was worth the price of admission on it's own :wink:

The Moore Galactica (ship) reminds me of a family of armadillos hiding together. (sorry, it just does!) Oh, he showed it in the trailer he brought to Galacticon. The special effects are the only redeeming part.

:p

Julie

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:26 AM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

It is said that this fandom needs leadership. We need direction. If you want a leader I am here. I will try as hard as hell to get the job done and take us to our ultimate goal of a grand movie version of the show we all still love.
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:04 AM   #12
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

well... I'm not about to claim the mantle of leadership, buuut now is the wrong time to do anything.

Please read my posts on this that I made throughout these forums.

don't fight against the mini. it don't help.

but when the mini airs, fight FOR the real show. counter people who shoot it down. Keep up its better qualities. Show the world it IS a great show. And

TELL THE WORLD YOU WANT TO PAY $$$$$$$ TO SEE A NEW CONTINUATION!!!!!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #13
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Mantles of Leadership.

Old October 28th, 2003, 09:28 AM   #14
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Any leaders, now, should be the people we gravitate towards anyway and hold in especially high esteem. Warrior, TBC, Conundrum, and Starship Trooper (or Darrell, Sandy, Tom and Nathan) pop most readily to mind. Titon, JJrakman, Jewels, Kingfish, Ojai... the list of highly respected people go on and on.

But we should not have leaders in a "generalship" or "Imperious Leader" sense, by any means. Any choices and actions we might take in the future must be done by consensus - everyone must buy into whatever this fanbase does to get the word out and voice our support. We can't have that if we have a couple of people making all the decisions for us.

The letter campaign put together by Ojai and Taggart is a perfect example of that. (BTW, have everybody's letters gone out yet today?) The "big four" BSG sites all advertise the plan, and we've filtered it down to other sites, Yahoo groups and friends and family.

Our "leaders", I think, are the ones best suited to consolidating the plans we as a group develop, coordinate those plans, and generally oversee the execution of those activities.

This way we have the broadest "buy in" to whatever we do, and it's not "orders from above" that we have no say in.

Well, that's my two cubits, anyway.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:33 AM   #15
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Fan Films????

I know this may sound sort of corny, but what is the aspect of possibly getting involved and making BSG fan films???

You know that those types of things really get people interested if they are done right. Think of what "Troops" did for the Star Wars fan community.

There is a total black hole with BSG fan films. Perhaps something could be done with that to generate another area of interest for BSG fans????

count me in if anyone is interested!!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:13 PM   #16
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Titon did a few. The Millenia comes to mind. It rocked. It can be found at http://battlestargalacticaclub.com in the cgi movies section.
Old October 28th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #17
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg
But we should not have leaders in a "generalship" or "Imperious Leader" sense, by any means. Any choices and actions we might take in the future must be done by consensus - everyone must buy into whatever this fanbase does to get the word out and voice our support. We can't have that if we have a couple of people making all the decisions for us.

Well, that's my two cubits, anyway.

I am
Dawg
Wise words, Dawg.

I'm going to add 2 cubits to yours with something I read today. It really summed up for me the path that we need to follow on our journey:
  • Coming together is a beginning.
    Keeping together is progress.
    Working together is success.

- Henry Ford

We need to work as one cohesive unit if we ever expect to have a happy ending to all of our hopes and dreams.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #18
Belloby
Bad Email Address

I say we support Richard's "Great War of Magellan". I don't know what it's all about, but if it involves Adama, Tigh, Cain and of course Belloby, I'm all for it. I would love to see what the senior members of the Galactica were like when they were young.

P.S. Kingfish, love the pix of Commander Cain!
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #19
newt
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Belloby
I say we support Richard's "Great War of Magellan". I don't know what it's all about, but if it involves Adama, Tigh, Cain and of course Belloby, I'm all for it. I would love to see what the senior members of the Galactica were like when they were young.

P.S. Kingfish, love the pix of Commander Cain!
Uh, GWoM has nothing to do with Galactica......
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #20
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thanks Belloby. Cain is a favorite of mine.
Old October 30th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #21
amberstar
Strike Leader

Default Well said Peter

All for one and one for all! We need to stay together and continue to speak as one Loud voice. They will eventually have no other option but to listen.
Old October 31st, 2003, 06:42 AM   #22
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

By the Lords of Kobol this fight has just begun.
Old November 1st, 2003, 11:51 PM   #23
Senmut
Strike Leader

Actuate attack computers!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #24
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman
I'm up for the fight,

But we need a leader, someone to follow who would tell all the warriors with fight left in them how best to act in support5 of a continuation. We need an anchor from which all other forums and web sites would take que.

That's the only way I see us becoming a more cohesive fighting force. And being cohesive is the only way we can gain victory.

Really?

The polls are open. http://pp303.proboards21.com/index.c...num=1068411447

You must be a registered member of my board to vote however.
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #25
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
I would have to say that the saddest part is that all of these yahren have past. BG should have been brought back when B5 hit the airwaves. Heck both John Colicos and Lloyd Bridges were with us. If they had to recast the Adama role then I could have seen Heston in it.
Actually I see Mr. Heston as Commander Cain more than Adama, both in looks and acting.