Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old November 16th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #1
gmd3d
Major

Lightbulb Pair Use The Force For Jedi Religion

Pair Use The Force For Jedi Religion?!!

I suppose it had to happen .. but read on

Sky News Thursday November 16, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Two self-styled Jedi Knights are stepping up an intergalactic campaign for formal recognition. Umada and Yunyun, also known as John Wilkinson and Charlotte Law, want the UN to acknowledge "The Force" is worthy of being called a religion. The couple claim to be part of the UK's fourth largest religious group, after 400,000 people recorded their faith as "Jedi" in the 2001 Census.

They say that as a religion, they deserve tolerance and respect. November the 16th is the annual International
(Advertisement)
Day for Tolerance.

And as part of a global battle worthy of Luke Skywalker's efforts against the Empire, the band of self-styled Jedis want the UN to re-name the day as Interstellar Day of Tolerance.

More people claim their religion to be Jedi in England and Wales than those who follow Sikhism, Judaism and Buddhism. And the cause has global support.

There are also 70,000 Jedi knights in Australia, 53,000 in New Zealand, and 20,000 in Canada.

This is Umada and Yunyun's letter to the UN Association:

To whom it may concern,

For the last ten years the United Nations has marked today as the International Day of Tolerance.

While we support this important work, we feel the UN needs to move with the times.

In the 2001 UK census, 390,000 people identified themselves as Jedi Knights, making us the fourth largest religion in the country.

We have a proud heritage dating back 195,000 years to our first Jedi, the blue haired, blue eyed Kaja Sinis, who was born on Coruscant.

Like the United Nations, the Jedi Knights are peacekeepers, and we feel we have the basic right to express our religion through wearing our robes, and to be recognised by the national and international community.

We therefore call upon you to change the 16th November to the United Nations Interstellar Day of Tolerance, to reflect the religious make-up of our twenty-first century civilization.

Tolerance is about respecting difference where ever it lies, including other galaxies. Please don't exclude us from your important work.

May the Force be with you.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #2
evil_genius_180
Warrior

If I was the judge presiding over the case of people that wanted "The Force" to be their religion (these issues always go to the courts sooner or later) I'd tell them that I'd allow it, provided they could levitate a chair across the room. If not, I'd have to refuse them.
evil_genius_180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3
gmd3d
Major

you live up to your name , in both cases

Old November 20th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #4
evil_genius_180
Warrior

Well, someone's gotta put those freaks in their place. I mean, no offense to anyone who wants to practice that particular religion, but making it a nationally recognized religion is just ludicrous. What's next, The Force temples? The Force national holidays?
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5
gmd3d
Major

Possibly already around somewhere in someone living room ..

Old November 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #6
evil_genius_180
Warrior

Yeah, that's different.
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:04 AM   #7
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

I have to agree. If this is a big joke, well, so be it, good for a laugh. But since when does someone actually believe that the "force" and the jedi actually happened? It was from a made up movie, for Sagan's sake!!!! And what's this about 195,000 years and the first jedi? Totally made up! Incredible!

As a Christian, I believe that if these people are truly believing in this 'religion' then they are putting their souls in mortal danger.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 10:19 PM   #8
libernull
Shuttle Pilot

I don't see this as any different than various fast food chains learning to speak Klingon because they are near Trekkie cons. Or a local ad published from one of the state mental institutions calling out to gamers and sci-fi buffs who know the 'language' of Klingon - because there are several patients who refuse to speak anything but.

Personally, I think its awesome. To me, it appeals to the kid in me, a big game of make pretend. If "The Force" can be made into a recognized religion, its a big thumb in the face to the "reality" as defined by stuffy, political, fun-haters.

Who cares? Besides, when the Sith strike, we'll be glad the Jedi are here.
libernull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #9
gmd3d
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by libernull
I don't see this as any different than various fast food chains learning to speak Klingon because they are near Trekkie cons. Or a local ad published from one of the state mental institutions calling out to gamers and sci-fi buffs who know the 'language' of Klingon - because there are several patients who refuse to speak anything but.

Really bloody hell .. that's going to far.. but that what happens . how do you as for a bigmac in klingon ?? anyone

Personally, I think its awesome. To me, it appeals to the kid in me, a big game of make pretend. If "The Force" can be made into a recognized religion, its a big thumb in the face to the "reality" as defined by stuffy, political, fun-haters.
That cool .. for me its strange. but how do religions start . many with an idea perhaps .... there are religions out there that believe in nature . I.E. druids which can still be found in Ireland and England Scotland ..they have never disappeared
Who cares? Besides, when the Sith strike, we'll be glad the Jedi are here.
In that case me too.. because you always find some one who disagrees with you and be the Ying to your Yang

Old November 24th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #10
doc834
Bad Email Address

This definately goes up there with making Klingon an official language in the Library of Congress. I doesn't matter what you put out there, someone will always take it to extremes.
doc834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #11
libernull
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc834
This definately goes up there with making Klingon an official language in the Library of Congress. I doesn't matter what you put out there, someone will always take it to extremes.
Exactly! And, as long as that extreme (or what has been put out there) doesn't harm anyone else? Who cares? -is how I see it. So what if a couple of truly dorky Star Wars buffs want to try and make the Force a recognized religion? I say let em! Its not like religion is anything more than something which fills a psychological need - be that a crutch of some kind, or a desire to belong, or to feel loved, or to not have to worry about the consequences of one's actions. And besides - if they have the huevos to take themselves seriously? - then hey, they should get the tax break
libernull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 10:26 AM   #12
gmd3d
Major

different time's perhaps I am not as modern as I one thought ...