Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old May 28th, 2004, 03:59 AM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Star Trek: Nazi style!

Oh man... Just when I thought Enterprise had gotten over its lousy story writing, they amaze me all over again.

For those of you who missed the Enterprise season and possibly series finale, Enterprise ended on a rather bizarre cliffhanger. Upon saving the universe, Scott Bakula is transported back to World War Two Nazi Germany!

Somehow after being caught in the explosion of the doomsday weapon, he is thrown back in time. And not only is he surrounded by Nazis, but one of he Nazi officers is an ALIEN!!!!

If this is how it ends...let it end mercifully here.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Ripped directly from that Voyager episode, it appears, where Voyager is captured and the crew "brainwashed" into reliving WWII - the aliens being the Nazis.

I was seriously disappointed.

I agree with you, Tom.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #3
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I am on the Enterprise list at Yahoo and people were saying that they fimed two endings: one for if the series was cancelled and one for if it wasn't. It wasn't cancelled, so they used the second ending. I agree that it was a ridiculous way to end it, but there has been some interesting discussion about whether they actually did go back in time and if they did then how and why. There was even some discussion as to alternate universe theory, etc.

No one seemed to be able to agree on why, but unless they come up with a darn good reason (other than "We didn't think it would be renewed and we wrote ourselves into a corner.") then we all agreed on one thing: Enterprise has "jumped the shark."

Speaking of Enterprise, I was quite upset to see that they killed off Maj. Hayes, I enjoyed his character and love the actor. I know that Steven Culp is filming a pilot for the fall season, but couldn't they have transferred him or something and left us with a little hope?!

And speaking of Steven Culp, he must have set some sort of record for TV as just two days later his character on JAG was killed off in a thoroughly disappointing and meaningless way on their season finale. I hope that new series, whatever it is, works out for him.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #4
Mike Wright

I kinda think the dude looks like a cheap Reman outfit, but thats just me.

I'm reserving judgment for next season, simply because, there just wasn't enough in those last few minutes to explain what the hell was going on. I agree with Mike from TGL, This one had all the shock factor of Best of Both Worlds Pt 1, but instead of saying "Man, how are they gonna get through this?" we're left with "Man, what the f*ck was that all about?"

It seems to me like these guys are really getting desperate. The Voyager episode hadn't even popped into my mind, it was "City on the Edge of Forever" from TOS that I was thinking of... Plus probably two other TOS episodes, and most initially I thought of that DS9 Episode where Sisko and Bashir get transported to that worker camp. These, I thought, were all very good episodes, so theres the light at the end of the tunnel. On the other hand, I hadn't even thought of that Voyager two-parter. That sucked.

What gets me is the P-51 Mustangs. If it had been one of the german fighters (I can't spell mess-er-schmidt... sorry... *lol*) then that would have made sense. Archer was transported back in time, and the Germans won the war. (Of course that would be a direct ripoff of CoteoF) But Mustangs? Don't get me wrong, I love that plane. Coolest one in WWII, next to the P-40, the P-38 and the B-17. But the fact is, WWII drove invention for the entire world. It didn't just magically produce the A-Bomb as a result of it. Research started well before the war, and both Germany and the US raced to get it finished during the war. What killed Germany in that regard was Heisenberg, the one who pioneered the research. He was stubborn, and thought the uranium mass should have been much higher than it actually needed to be to create an atomic explosion. (Ironically, two of his students who defected to the US discovered this) Anyway, thats not why the Nazi's failed to win the war, but its why they failed to make the atom bomb...

Anyway, my point was, why P=51s 220 years later? For the US to have them by then, you're ignoring more than 200 years of invention... Jet propulsion, ironically invented during WWII... Man, just a lot of things. Thats like saying Man stopped inventing stuff. It just doesn't make sense. Unless there was some catastrophe that took us that long to overcome, and at that point in time we just recovered P-51s and were using them. But that doesn't make any sense either, those planes looked brand spanking new.

Which brings up the possiblity that maybe Enterprise is now also 200 years in the past. Now that would make some sense, but when would the shift have taken place? Two options.... Either it happened en route to Earth, which means the Aquatic ship is also 200 years in the past, or Daniels did it... The later makes more sense I think, there never seems to be any special effects when he transports people around time.

At any rate... Like I said, we'll see next season. All I can say is, rid the show of Braga once and for all, and maybe the show will get better.
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #5
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

We also had an argument about when the change occurred. There was that orbital platform that was destroyed, so it probably wasn't before they got to Earth, but no one else came to help them, so it may have been just after that. Daniels seems the most likely suspect, but then there was the ep before that where the Expanse Aliens were talking about the timelines being in flux, so... I guess we'll have to speculate wildly until then.

I agree with you on Braga, btw.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I'm pretty certain they will explain it as the spherebuilders didn't just mess up the fabric of space The Expanse also is a distortion of time. The Spherebuilders are essentially beings that exist outside of time.So in order to fullfill their plot they also created a bridge in time for the Zindi to attack earth.

Why they wouldn't want to attack a helpless WWII earth I don't know. It would have been helpless.

But regardless, when the Enterprise returned the Expanse back to normal, they also severed their bridge back in time. Though again I sak, why couldn't they allow the Zindi to attack us before we had a spaceship?

It kinda does feel like the whole Trek Franchise jumped the shark.I think the last two series has suffered from a little lack of imagination.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:02 AM   #7
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Scott Bakula stated that there was only one ending filmed/shot for Zero Hour:
Quote:
Host: The other most asked question is: How many endings did you film for "Zero Hour"?

SB: I hate to break the news to everyone and all of the conspiracy theorists out there, but we only shot one ending.
The entire transcript can be read here:
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ript/5707.html

Personally, I'm not a fan of excessive time travel episodes. Once a season is fine, if that many. Sometimes I feel I'm watching new episodes of Quantum Leap instead of Enterprise. Might as well bring back Captain Braxton and the Federation Timeship Relativity NCV-474439-G to fix/return the timeline to normal. Maybe "Starfleet Academy" aka Star Trek: 90210 or "Star Trek: Special Forces", both rejected concepts, might have had better writing and stories, although I did enjoy, for the most part, this season and the Xindi arc.

Have asked questions about the Sphere-builders at other forums, but will only ask a few here.

Why didn't the sphere-builders choose some part of this galaxy that wasn't developed or posed any threat? By the time they were discovered, it would have been too late to stop the transformation.

Why this particular time period? As others have mentioned, destroy the planet BEFORE they develop meaningful space travel and/or defence capabilities.

Why do the Sphere-builders need to transform this space? What's wrong with their universe/dimension anyways? And I'm sure they have plenty of choices to choose from.

Will we see a few battles between the Sphere-builders and Species 8472? Or how about with the Nucleogenic Lifeforms from the "Equinox" episode from Voyager?

There must be a better way to introduce/meet future friends and enemies than time travel. It would set the stage to why humans or Star Fleet have had the relationships with other species and could explain a lot or answer a few questions.

Has anybody ever wondered why the Klingons or Romulans haven't attacked/conquered Earth yet? Archer certainly pissed off enough of them and there is no official peace treaty nor a means to resolve any differences. Plus Earth only has a limited offensive/defensive capabilities. The Sphere-builders picked the wrong species to eliminate humans. Like to see more of the Andorians. That is one TOS race that needed to be expored better. How about showing the Tholians, Orions, or Tellarites while they are at it? So much rich material/races/species to choose from that have not been used or explored yet.

Sorry about the long post
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2004, 11:00 AM   #8
Mike Wright

It would have taken time for the Sphere Builders to "prime up" the Xindi after the destruction of their homeworld. The Xindi are not inherently an evil species, as the show was shooting for, so it had to take quite some time for the SB to convince them that the destruction of an entire race was to their benefit. Also, when Earth only has ONE SHIP capable of warp 5, capable of reaching the expanse, and at that time was outfitted with inadequate weaponry, who would have guessed it possible they could do what they did? It was no secret that humans and Vulcans alliance was pretty loose, and neither completely trusted each other at this point in history. The SB were portrayed as a rather arrogant species, chances are they didn't consider Enterprise much of a threat until the timelines started changing towards Earth's favor.