Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:55 AM   #1
larocque6689
Warrior

Default My initial review of BSG Epic Series Disc #1

SIDE A

The main side of the disc feature the network pilot version of "Saga of a Star World". This is the version containing fifteen scenes (unique when compared with the widescreen standalone DVD), and they are detailed in this below document:

http://www.geocities.com/sjpaxton/bgdiff.html

Added to the 2h15 version of the pilot is 30 minutes of bonus footage! The more noteworthy segments include:

- Extended footage of Starbuck losing his Squadron's cubits at Pyramid to the Gemoni
- Baltar thanking Adar at the Council of the 12 for finally uniting the humans
- A scene with Adama and Athena where Adama expresses doubts over his ability to lead the fleet and says that it's time for younger blood to take over.
- This is followed by a scene on the bridge with Tigh where he announces his intent to resign.
- This is then followed by a scene with Apollo and Athena where Apollo accuses his father of cowardice
- This is then followed by a slightly expanded scene of the Council of the Twelve where he again offers his resignation

These four scenes can be compared to two network-only scenes - one with Athena where Adama laments of the people left behind, and another where Apollo gives his father a tongue-lashing over Sire Uri and Adama's opposition Apollo's mission through the Nova of Madegon.

These were not the only father-and-son conflicts in the series - for later reference view the bonus footage of "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" telemovie. Most footage of Adama's guilt (over Zac's daeth, the people left behind, the food and fuel shortages), and his inadequacy as leader - were left on the cutting floor, and didn't make the edit of the theatrical version, although two of the scenes made it to the network version.

- There's a new scene on Life Station where one of the life officers informs Serina she's dying of cellular breakdown (because of Cylon sabotage of food molecules). This gave her growing romance with Apollo tragic overtones, as she was going to die within days. According to Jane Seymour's Starlog interview Serina was supposed to die in the pilot episode.
- One of the exciting bits is watching the different cuts of Baltar's execution - from above, from the side, and in front of Baltar.
- In an expanded landram sequence on Carillon, Apollo explains to Boxey about the Cylons, prejudice and how the opposite of war is not necessarily peace, but freedom. This is followed by an expanded version of Boxey's capture by the Ovions.
- One of the centurions speaks to Imperious Leader who is pictured inside a crystal-ball hologram.
- Snippets of dialog show up, which had been edited out of seveal Serina/Apollo sequences on Carillon and the shuttle which played up the tragic element of their romance

- Finally, the coup de grace. An incredible sequence of footage of the famous hymn at the end of the pilot episode. This is in the same room as Adama's Earth speech earlier, with Adama and the council on stage singing before representatives of the fleet. Three angles were shot - one with Apollo/Serina/Boxey in the crowd, the other a wide shot of the stage, and third focusing on Adama. This is a full-blown religious/patriotic hymn which began with the words "Hail to Thee oh Lord of Manna" and resonated with words such as freedom. I first read of this years ago in Epilog Magazine, now here it is, on DVD.

Herb, Richard and Dirk offer a nice bonhomie of audio commentary to supplement the pilot episode. If you've watched the pilot a thousand times, watch it with this three the next time aruond. Glen Larson explains in a five minute interview of his love of archaelogy and how he weaved his Mormon faith with the Chariots of the Gods theme. He mentioned Adama holding the Keys to the Priesthood (the Kobolian medallion), and Heaven/Eden being a physical place perhaps on another planet such as Kobol in the series. There's another interview with Stu Philips on scoring the music.

SIDE B

Nearly all the bonus scenes from the Lost Planet of the Gods telemovie show up on the flip side of the disc. There are fifteen minutes of extra footage, about two thirds of it alternate takes, the remaining third new scenes.

Shuttle cadet Serina's first orbit solo is featured. So is Adama's scene on the bridge extending curfew, and Cassiopeia's Fresh beginning remarks in life station (as med-tech, to Apollo). However, I was able to detect two scenes absent on the DVD. The first is a five-second snippet containing Apollo's line of dialog: "Starbuck! He's violating orders. He's trying to protect Serina, or me, or [both]."

But the most egregious omission is this scene, which I am reprinting in totum. It was featured in the novelization, the original script, and quoted in the FAQ.

7. Kobol's Original Fate (41s)

This is a scene of unaired dialog between Adama, Apollo and Serina on
the surface of Kobol. Dialog in square brackets indicates dialog spoken
in the broadcast version.

Adama: [This might be Eden. I don't know.]
Apollo: It feels holy.
Serina: And sad. Was it their fault their world died?
Adama: According to the log, incredible waste occured. The rivers
and oceans were contaminated. The skies culdn't support even
the heartiest of creatures. And when they settled the
Colonies, they turned on the very technology that could have
saved them had they used it properly. They destroyed the
ships, the machines, everything. It took them hundreds of
yahrens to revive even the most primitive crafts.
Apollo: (touching column) [I can't read any of it.]
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:01 AM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

That is awesome. Did you ever read the novelization. The ending is quite different from the series. There is no battle with a Basestar rather Starbuck and Cassi ferrying a fuel tanker in the middle of the attack. I wonder if this was ever filmed?
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote