Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #91
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Costuming and Props Section

There were also shuttle pilots. Serena's main idea in becoming a Cadet was to "just" be a shuttle pilot. However, need dictated that the shuttle pilot cadets become Viper pilots.
Mieal Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #92
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Oh don't worry, I plan on sharing the load plenty! lol

I figure I'll take it as far as I can and then everyone else will have something to mold. I'm sticking pretty close to what we've all discussed so far.

The three things I'm working on and sort of adding to as I go are the club charter, ideas for ogranizing the resources and info on costumes, and getting the resources together. Eventually we'll have to start a thread with everyone's favorite links regarding the costumes.

Mark, that post was one idea for organizing the rescources. It is by no means set in stone and I still have to add the Daggit building section (so cool) and the Space suit stuff.

I love the presentation you did at Mega Con by the way. That is almost exactly what I'd love to throw together for our appearances! I'm certainly glad you're on board with this! I don't mean that anyone should expect such work in the future, but what better way to get ideas then from someone who has already done it!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #93
monolith21
Squadron Leader

So everyone chime in with what they already have. Any full blown warriors in this thread?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 19th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #94
Aphrodite
Socialator

Well, I want a uniform.

Aphrodite's Facebook Page
Battlestar Galactica Club
GalacticaBBS Global Moderator
Battlestar FanclubWebsite Moderator

Aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #95
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Well, once I order the items Reaper is working on those items will be the only thing I have for the moment. And with BSG.org being DOWN!....I was going to order the rest of what I needed there.

As you know Mark, I am still pricing out the boots (which I am really leaning towards the guys in Germany...expensive but I plan to go there and pick them up Been looking for the excuse to go there for a few years now).

Other than that...nothing yet.
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #96
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I'm beat about BSG.org being down myself, I was just going to confirm sizing info and send the money for a Warriors Jacket now (a birthday present to myself and from my family) but even the email address I had went through the website.

I'm concidering doing the Tans now instead. and actually have a working costume (there were warriors in the show in the tans and gunbelt but with no jacket)

I am still hoping BSG.org comes back though

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #97
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
So everyone chime in with what they already have. Any full blown warriors in this thread?

I have a full Warrior outfit from BSG.org, Full Bore boots, a DStines Laser, and Marco Helmet.

I also have several screen used outfits (snow suit, deck drew, medical), but nothing I'd wear myself to a con.

I'd love to do an all white/ship of lights outfit, a blue command uni, and a security outfit. The one uniform I've never been interested in however is the Warrior dress outfit with the cape. I have one of the necklaces for it, but for some reason I've never really liked it much.

Mark
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #98
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
I've got part of a uniform, my sister-in-law made it for me. I need the jacket and boots and belt to go with it.
I live in Canada and there's a movie prop store in Toronto where I'm trying to get the rest of the warrior uniform. They can special order it.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #99
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyfett View Post
I have a full Warrior outfit from BSG.org, Full Bore boots, a DStines Laser, and Marco Helmet.

I also have several screen used outfits (snow suit, deck drew, medical), but nothing I'd wear myself to a con.

I'd love to do an all white/ship of lights outfit, a blue command uni, and a security outfit. The one uniform I've never been interested in however is the Warrior dress outfit with the cape. I have one of the necklaces for it, but for some reason I've never really liked it much.

Mark
Cool.

Does anyone have any pics of themselves in full uniform? A head to toe shot.

I also like the dress uniforms.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #100
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Not a full Warrior yet. I have the Joel Robert "replica" full bore boots which I still need to paint. I have a gun belt which I need to dye, but I don't have a holster, laser, or recharge cylinders (yet!). I have the fabric and trim for my tans and jacket, but am waiting until after the baby comes before starting on sewing them (I need to be able to try it on as I sew it and the baby bump makes that difficult!). I have a set of two collar insignia/pins and one Blue Squadron patch. I still need to get a 2nd set of pins and another patch (for my jacket). I also need to get a belt for my pants. Once my Warrior tans and jacket are finished, I'll start collecting for my dress uniform...I plan to use my usual tans for that and rig it up so the cape can be removable without it being obvious (the originals used hooks & eyes sewn to the tunic, which would be seen once the cape is removed).

Hey Mark/Bradleyfett, if you don't want the dress necklace I'll take it off your hands!
Old March 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #101
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I was thinking you could use Rare earth magnets (those super strong ones) to attach the cape to the tunic. You could create a small pocket for one set of magnets on the inside of the tunic. it could be just big enough to place your magnet in and then seal the magnets in, or you can make it a small pocket with one side open so you can remove the magnets (I'f face the openings to the sides, left and right, but that's just me lol)

On the cape itself, you can seal the opposite magnets into thelining of the cape. Place one magnet no top of the other, and you should have a solid hold with no visible attachments.

This way you can use the same tunic for both costumes.

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #102
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I wonder how well the rare earth magnets would work? Sounds interesting for sure!

BradleyFett...I am entirely jealous of your screen used items! Very cool. Did you get most of it in the auction a few years back? I still look through that catalog and drool.

As for myself, I have:

Two pair of boots (the screen correct treadless fullbores and some with tread).

A DStines rotocast pistol, a solid cast pistol from the same mold.

A very steam punk "Toothpaste" laser build up that has been filled with something that makes it pretty heavy and an unbuilt hollow kit from the same molds.

All the makings of a gun belt but I haven't dyed the belt yet.

A warrior jacket made by Kathy Pillsbury. Very dark material compared to the originals.

And a whole bunch of random props including some Orion checks made by Gordon (good stuff), various cubit reproductions and originals, Calculator castings for the leg computer, and a bunch of pins and patches.

I'll be awesome to finally be able to put the whole uniform together. I should be pinning that mock up right now instead of hanging out online! Okay I'll go!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #103
Bradleyfett
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
BradleyFett...I am entirely jealous of your screen used items! Very cool. Did you get most of it in the auction a few years back? I still look through that catalog and drool.

I got most of it way back before BSG stuff started coming up in the PIH catalogs. In the early 90s, one person bought out all of Universals BSG and Buck Rogers costumes in one big lump. He sold everything off over the next few years. He came to a con in Orlando with a rack full of costume pieces- I bought the med tunic then and kept in contact with him (pre-internet days). I bought the spacesuit, warrior tunic and pants (forgot to mention those before), deck crew jumpsuit over the next few years. Around the same time I traded some seaQuest costumes (I worked on the show) for the snow jacket and pants from a collector in L.A.

I would never be able to affort these pieces today, or back when they were in PIH.

Mark
Bradleyfett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #104
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Quote:
I wonder how well the rare earth magnets would work? Sounds interesting for sure!
I know guys in the 501st that use these thigns to hold parts of helmets together. There's a guy in the Empire ity Garrison who has the bottom plate of his Clone helmet done withthe magnets, to keep the piece in place and it holds up.

We should be able to find magnets strong enough to hold up to the wearing of a cape. Just a matter of tracking down the right strength. After all, we will want to remove the cape at some point lol Withouth ripping the cape or tunic.

Mark, concider us all jealous of the collection maybe we should all concider a trip down to Mega Con next year (I've been before, and enjoyed the con)

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #105
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

I was actually thinking magnets. JoAnn fabrics sells a set of magnets encased in a plastic that can be machine washed & dried. You can sew through the casing, to keep the magnet in place. I picked up a set for my husband's Ghostbuster costume for the leg hose, but the hose was too stiff and kept popping the magnet loose. I think they'd work great for the BSG dress capes though. I think Rare Earth magnets might be too strong...I wouldn't want to tear my fabric! I know R2 builders who use the Rare Earth magnets to hold the back doors to their R2 on the frame (in 3-leg mode, the back door is always angled facing the ground, so you need something strong to hold it in place when R2 rolls over bumps) or for things like holding the restraining bolt onto the skins.
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #106
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Wow...I need to grab some of those magnets just to mess with them!

Good news! I've tracked down a few other people who are working on their costumes that are from overseas! We have the makings of our first international chapter! Clanger you around here?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #107
monolith21
Squadron Leader

So it came to my attention yesterday while chatting here that a good deal of the fans who want costumes aren't aware of places like ASAP with tons of great info. I had just assumed for a long time that a lot of you go over there.

While this place seems to be a much better place to get people together, there is a lot of information to found by browsing the forums at ASAP or the RPF. Its a good place for those of you who want to jump right in! We'll be putting some of these resources together for the costuming group but getting people into uniforms is a biggie for the time being!

Ever read through a prop post and wonder what what the frack us gearheads are talking about? Here ya go!

www.propreplicas.yuku.com
The Battlestar sections are about half way down the page.

www.therpf.com
Registration only opens up a few times a year for the replica prop forum. If you do get in, play it cool around here. There are some pretty heavy hitters and they can be a bit stand offish if you ask questions without searching the forums. Still, there is a lot of good information and if you play by the rules you'll get along fine. More than most sites though...read the new member rules or you can get zinged.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 24th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #108
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Oh and I forget who threw this together but it is great!
-Markhttp://www.galactica.tv/battlestar-g...78-series.html

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #109
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
So it came to my attention yesterday while chatting here that a good deal of the fans who want costumes aren't aware of places like ASAP with tons of great info. I had just assumed for a long time that a lot of you go over there.

While this place seems to be a much better place to get people together, there is a lot of information to found by browsing the forums at ASAP or the RPF. Its a good place for those of you who want to jump right in! We'll be putting some of these resources together for the costuming group but getting people into uniforms is a biggie for the time being!

Ever read through a prop post and wonder what what the frack us gearheads are talking about? Here ya go!

www.propreplicas.yuku.com
The Battlestar sections are about half way down the page.

www.therpf.com
Registration only opens up a few times a year for the replica prop forum. If you do get in, play it cool around here. There are some pretty heavy hitters and they can be a bit stand offish if you ask questions without searching the forums. Still, there is a lot of good information and if you play by the rules you'll get along fine. More than most sites though...read the new member rules or you can get zinged.
Cool.
I'm going to bookmark those sites and take a closer look.
I always make it a point to read the new member rules.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #110
clanger
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
We have the makings of our first international chapter! Clanger you around here?
Hi Monolith,

After a false start, including me not actually knowing where, or who, I'd registered with and some timely help from Dawg......here I am!

Yep, one of those aforementioned International Colonial Warriors reporting for duty.

Is there somewhere I should post a formal introduction?

If one of you kind folks could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Andy
clanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #111
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanger View Post
Hi Monolith,

After a false start, including me not actually knowing where, or who, I'd registered with and some timely help from Dawg......here I am!

Yep, one of those aforementioned International Colonial Warriors reporting for duty.

Is there somewhere I should post a formal introduction?

If one of you kind folks could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Andy
Welcome Clanger!

I'm not sure where you post a formal introduction.

I suggest you PM Dawg or Warrior.

A lot of us are from different countries. I hail from Canada.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #112
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Welcome Clanger! It is good to have you here.
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #113
clanger
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks for the welcome guys!

If it's not required to post a formal welcome that's cool, I haven't had a good look round yet so I didn't know!

I will now go and have a recon around the place so I don't put my foot in any Ovion droppings!

Cheers,

Andy
Old March 25th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #114
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Nah - just jump in wherever you like. We're usually pretty casual about that.

Welcome to Fleets!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #115
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Hey Andy! I'm glad you found your way over here! It really is a great place with some of the coolest people I've ever met. How's your costume coming along? Any luck painting the boots?I'm sending mine off very soon to get them matched up to the screen boots paint wise.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #116
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Welcome to the party my friend! It's always good to see more Warriors out there!!

Definately let us know how the costume is doing!!

And Monolith, Dye your gunbelt!!! lol

Old March 26th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #117
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Welcome! If you have pictures of your uniform, post them up.
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #118
Mieal Deneb
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
...And Monolith, Dye your gunbelt!!! lol
Speaking of dying gun belts, has anyone done this? I have an offwhite/natural belt that I'm planning to dye and I'm going to go for the "grey" color. If anyone has tips on what they did, I'd love to hear them.
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #119
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I guess I'm nominated! lol I'm just planning to dye mine with black and take it out after a few minutes.

I have a recipe for dying it up grey but I want to give the black a shot. The advice I got was to use Navy and Pearl Grey Rit dye together. I have a test belt I'll be doing first.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #120
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Alright, my belt is dyed. I went with straight black. I took some pictures...however I used my work camera and just realized I can't upload from it here. The belt is quite dark while it is still wet, but I think it will fade up a bit. I'd like to try the pearl grey dye with some black in it to darken it up a bit next. Whichever one is closer I'll go with.

I used this method by the way!
http://www.ritdye.com/Stovetop.33.lasso

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein