Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > New Twists On Old Episodes
Notices
New Twists On Old Episodes Share views on what changes you would make
if YOU were remaking the Original Series episodes

Old September 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #61
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: 01: Saga Of A Star World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
As the story that launched the series, Saga works wonderfully. To me though, there were just two problems within the episode overall as it first aired.

#1-The conduct of other Battlestar commanders. Of course we need to be given the premise of the Galactica as the last surviving battlestar, so everyone else gets wiped out in the opening battle, but realistically wouldn't we have expected to see some of the other commanders, or at least one other put up more of a fight?
There was a Presidential directive, not to launch "until the situstion is more clear". All Commanders had to comply, but only Adama was foresightful enough to have all his squadrons ready to launch. The others did not, thus greatly reducing the likelihood of their survival.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #62
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Politicians get a lot of soldiers killed with stupid policies regarding rules of engagement and being armed/disarmed when not in direct combat.
I have no problem with the believability of most of the commanders following the presidents orders so faithfully that they allowed their Battlestars to get blindsided. But i also have no problem with the idea that during the battle some were able to get some vipers launched and at least put up some form of a fight.
Although the Cylons were victorious at Cimtar they probably likely suffered heavy losses. This wopuld help explain why the Galactica had time to gather survivors at the colonies while the Cylons regrouped after the initial attack.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #63
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher454 View Post
Politicians get a lot of soldiers killed with stupid policies regarding rules of engagement and being armed/disarmed when not in direct combat.
I have no problem with the believability of most of the commanders following the presidents orders so faithfully that they allowed their Battlestars to get blindsided. But i also have no problem with the idea that during the battle some were able to get some vipers launched and at least put up some form of a fight.
Although the Cylons were victorious at Cimtar they probably likely suffered heavy losses. This wopuld help explain why the Galactica had time to gather survivors at the colonies while the Cylons regrouped after the initial attack.
The other battlestars did get Vipers launched, just not a whole lot of them. Remember, as Galactica was gathering strays it was reported that they had taken aboard Vipers from other battlestars.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #64
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Indeed. A good reason why the best political leaders have often been ex-soldiers/sailors/whatever. They know, because they've been there.
As an aside, I find the casting of Lew Ayers as the President interesting. During WWII, he was a Concientious Objector, and would not fight. However, he did enlist and serve as a medic. Imagine telling folks you were treated by Dr. Kildare.

Quote:
Again, right on. Just like during Pearl Harbor, some planes made it up, and even the Arizona got her bit in before the end. Each of the other ships would have had pilots in or near the bays, and getting into space would not have been impossible for some. This would not have violated the Presidential standown order.

Quote:
Good point. The remaining Cylon fighters would have been low on fuel, due to their having to step up the atteck timetable somewhat, ammunition mostly spent, and equipped only with short range/ship-to-ship communication. Contact with Cylon, or the nearest BaseShip, would have taken some time. The tankers/freighters cannot do much, for they are likewise low on fuel, having travelled so far to stage for the attack. By the time the surviving Raiders are picked up and can report in full, the Galactica is well away. By the time the message is passed along and the first occupation forces land in the Colonies, she and the Fleet are gone.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #65
Jubal
Warrior

Have to say the older I get the more I see Adama as a seasoned tactical warrior. Have to admit as a kid it was all about Apollo and Starbuck, but Adama and Tigh I'm sure were a great pair back in the day.

I loved the preparedness that Adama has in running the drills before the attack to get his vipers into the air. Brilliant. "Perhaps we should launch a welcoming party of our own?" LOL!!

Don't know how they could have ever thought there would be peace. Cylons are cold, calculating machines.

(Rates up there, in a another universe, of the Commonwealth trying to make peace with the Maggog. Just can't see that happening either.)
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #66
Senmut
Strike Leader

Some politicians just see things solely in terms of give-and-take, and what can be accomplished in the short term. They get tired. Adar and his clique failed to grasp that the Cylons do not get tired. As machines, they are still working to carry out their basic programming. Like your desktop 'puter; it will continue until it completes it's task, breaks down, or is blown to kingdom come.
As a seasoned warrior, Adama understood this. The Cylons, after a thousand yahrens of unremitting war, suddenly want to give the Colonies a kiss and a hug? No way. He sees right through it, as would Cain have, had he been there, but the career politicians can only see the short term. Yes, everyone in their right mind wants peace. I am sure Adama was looking forward to retirement. But the Cylons understood Human weakness, and were banking on it. All they needed was a little help. Thanks, Baltar.
Old December 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #67
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Unfortunately Adar is probably the most realistic character in the series. Just look around, Many, many politicians and bureaucrats behave exactly the same.
And even more unfortunately, idiots like that could possibly be the end of western civilization if people dont wake up.
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #68
Senmut
Strike Leader

No argument there. You can smell the rot, even as we type.