Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 29th, 2003, 06:44 AM   #1
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Exclamation Hopefully the LAST BSG format poll

At Summoner's request, I've begun a prequel/sequel/remake poll and will try to make sure the results, whatever they are, end up in the decisionmaker's hands. This poll will be totally impartial (despite any preferences I have). With the results, I will forward information regarding what steps I took to screen out ballot stuffing and what vulnerabilities the data may have as well.

I will share the data and screening methods with two RDM supporters and two Continuation supporters. If you think you're a valid candidate, e-mail me.

Sorry to do this all again.

The link is http://pub99.ezboard.com/bthecylonalliance . The poll is the first thing at the top of the page.

I encourage everyone interested in the future of BSG to voice their opinion.

Two-Brain
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #2
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default I voted

I wrote my response because I can't seem to log in.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:51 AM   #3
LucianG
Warrior

Two-Brain,

I voted, but I was somewhat disappointed about a couple of things.

First, I want the major original character portrayed by the original actors (Starbuck, Apollo, Athena, and Boomer or Tigh or both) PLUS new characters to allow the show to grow and move forward. May that was understood in the wording, but I don't want TPTB to think that we want to exclude additional characters any more than we want to make them think we want a return to 1978 (Lord, NO!).

Also, the major disappointment was that there were only three votes! Everyone, please vote!

Lucian
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #4
LucianG
Warrior

Wait! Maybe the reason for the number of votes was that it had just been posted! I didn't check the time. Sorry.
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #5
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Comments are Welcome

Lucian,

I'll add whatever comments folks have (reasonable comments) into a final report and will post the report after it is written to ensure nothing inaccurate or inflamatory is inadvertently in it.

Just post comments in a reply under the poll.

This is one case in which I will be checking the hidden data on everyone. Please vote in the poll if you don't have any problems but feel free to add any comments you want as well.

Two-Brain
TwoBrainedCylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #6
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Poll Flaw

Sandy
Thanks for taking the time to put this poll together to share the data and share our voices with studio executives and the production team. If creating a long-term franchise with the widest audience base is paramount, which is exactly what I WANT. Then this poll is flawed; most fans of the original series would choose an option that reads something like this.

A continuation of the original series with the original actors/original roles mentoring new characters played by new actors.

For this current production team I would accept a prequel series based on a re-written Ron Moore script that follows the concepts of the original series.

I voted Continuation with original actors.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 08:46 AM   #7
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I think the Continuation with Original actors presumes that there will be new actors as well. I didn't break all of the possibilities but the common categories. Otherwise, it would have been a 20 option poll. Ron Moore Remake could also be broken into "no changes" or "with changes that don't REALLY piss off the folks" but I think the categories are valid. Summonr came up with four and Outlander noted another one. I'm not changing it since the voting has started but I will compile all notes that folks add.

Two-Brain
(Sandy)
Old March 29th, 2003, 11:44 AM   #8
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Default Once Again You are Right

That's because you have two brains where I have only one...a 486 at that! I just want TPTB not to equate Continuation with a time machine back to 1978.

HHhhmm a time machine, not a bad Idea with what I know now I could go back and save Battlestar from cancelation, and kill Ronnie Moore as a small child. Wait-wait if I save Battlestar hhhmm, killing Ron Moore seems harsh. I'd kidnap him and sell him to the free child labor types in communist China...just to be safe.

Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #9
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Time Travel

I'd like to see lots of comments as well to provide material to put into the final results. I initially overlooked that.

You have an interesting use of time travel. I have a friend who works at NASA who, on her biography/resume, actually lists among her talents:

"Ability to Time Travel". If you look at her detailed reference further down it states:

"Only able to travel forward at a steady rate".

Two-Brain
Old March 29th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Erzengel

Thumbs up I voted.

Tell me everyone else here will to? Can the moderators send e-mails to everyone alerting them of this poll?
Old March 29th, 2003, 02:26 PM   #11
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

I am the one who vited for "A Remake that follows the concepts of the original series"

It is the best way to realize the full potential of the original series.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:03 PM   #12
baafan
Shuttle Pilot

Well, I voted for "A continuation of the original series with the original actors ". Although I don't have a problem with a few tweaks here and there, as long as the main premise remains the same and there is continuity with the original cast and characters.

For example, one change I wouldn't mind is changing the Cylons from "robot" to actual sentinent beings.
baafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 06:14 PM   #13
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Hito,

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one...

I understand your point of view, but I'm looking at this from, let's say, a business perspective. It doesn't make good business sense to re-do something that you have already done (well). It's not productive and it doesn't get you any further than you already are.

Although I would classify myself as a member of the Continuation Crowd (that was my vote, w/ original actors/characters), I'm not "stuck in the 70's". My goal, if you will, is to see progress. I truly think that a re-make, in most cases, is a waste of time, talent, and resources.

This re-imagining attempt is something that I almost don't have the words to describe. I'll concede that apparently RDM has an imagination. I think you'll agree that what he did with that imagination is what has caused the conflict between the two camps.

Maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm just plain dense, but I really don't know what positive effect the re-imagining venture will have on BSG. Will it appeal to new viewers, possibly. Will it alienate much of the original fanbase, definitely. If re-imagining is the approved path for BSG, then the BIG question is whether or not there will be enough new viewers and "converted" original fans to offset those other original fans that will simply turn their backs on the whole thing. (Did that make sense??)

Only time will tell whether we go forward or backward.

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #14
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Two-Brain's Poll

After a great deal of thought (a GREAT deal of thought), I voted with Hito.

The last sentence of the poll's introduction is why I did so, rather than for a continuation with the original actors (which was my other choice). It asked us to put aside personal considerations and vote for the choice which made the most sense to build the fan base.

My personal preference would be for a continuation with the original actors reprising their roles, mentoring the new generation. However, the poll is for what we think makes the most business sense. Given the change in the available technology, a "restart" (for lack of a better term) that is true to the original would not only keep OUR interest, but bring in a whole new generation of fans to the story from the beginning.

I do not want to see a prequel. That idea leaves me a little cold, because if it's picked up as a series then all we'll see is the latter part of the thousand-yahren war with the Cylons, and it would be tougher to hold interest in that rather than the rag-tag fugitive fleet. Also, always start a story with something that grabs the audience by the throat, and the destruction of the 12 colonies would grab by the throat now as it did in 1978.

And why bother with a continuation with new actors? You just have another BG80 and (with apologies to those who actually liked it) it wasn't good.

Granted this is all IMHO, but it makes sense to me.

*Dawg puts on his asbestos underwear, preparing for replies*

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #15
Erzengel

Problem with BSG80 was more to do with the scripts and the timeslot then the actors. Had it not been set with those restrictions, and been done a decade later instead of a few years after it was cancelled, and not on earth but still during the flight, I think it would've had a better chance because at least there'd have been a possiblity that the storys could've caught the hearts and minds of the fans of the original series and the new actors might have been able to grow and developed characters that people might've liked...
Old March 29th, 2003, 11:05 PM   #16
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by BST
Hito,

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one...

I understand your point of view, but I'm looking at this from, let's say, a business perspective. It doesn't make good business sense to re-do something that you have already done (well). It's not productive and it doesn't get you any further than you already are.

Although I would classify myself as a member of the Continuation Crowd (that was my vote, w/ original actors/characters), I'm not "stuck in the 70's". My goal, if you will, is to see progress. I truly think that a re-make, in most cases, is a waste of time, talent, and resources.

This re-imagining attempt is something that I almost don't have the words to describe. I'll concede that apparently RDM has an imagination. I think you'll agree that what he did with that imagination is what has caused the conflict between the two camps.

Maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm just plain dense, but I really don't know what positive effect the re-imagining venture will have on BSG. Will it appeal to new viewers, possibly. Will it alienate much of the original fanbase, definitely. If re-imagining is the approved path for BSG, then the BIG question is whether or not there will be enough new viewers and "converted" original fans to offset those other original fans that will simply turn their backs on the whole thing. (Did that make sense??)

Only time will tell whether we go forward or backward.

BST
I agree somewhat.
The reimagining was an extream example of where i am coming from.
The only reason i am so vocal in it's defence is becasue people would have you believe that the person responsible is somehow less talented becasue the product is not a continuaiton.

But in my mind the "Remake that follows the concepts of the original series" option would let you retain all of the elements that the fans want (Even male starbuck and boomer) AND allow you to lay a stronger groundwork for the series so it dosent have that "Made up as they went along" feeling. and also let you being the storytelling techniques a little more up to date.(And I realize that none of the continuaiton fans are "stuck in the 70s". Thats absurd.)

I think a "remake" (not a reimagining) with Hatch as a creative consltant or producer could have pleased everyone.
My second choice would be to pick up the series 25 years in so that it would *feel* like a continuation but have the original series remain as a kind of imperfectly recorded hostorical documant. That way as well it would please the fans of the original and give the creative staff enough room to manuver.
I have said this over and over but i believe that the unwavering insistanse on a 100% direct continuaiton of the original series has kept the Galactica in production limbo.

My third option that i am for becasue i am sick of waiting is this reimagining.
It aint perfect.
But it has the right hardware.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 02:07 AM   #17
jjrakman

Default I can't log in

I tried to register and it tells me that I'm not registered. My vote is for continuation with Original cast/characters/story. It's the best way to gather the old fans, bring in new, and have possibilities for all sorts of spin off series to take at all diferent timelines within the BSG universe.
Old March 30th, 2003, 05:07 AM   #18
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default PM Me

JJrakman,

Send me a PM regarding the problems you're having. I'll see what I can do.

Two-Brain
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:55 PM   #19
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Bounce

Just go do it, people, if you haven't already.

Moore took his PR case directly to us this weekend: all is not yet lost, methinks.

*is beyond wondering. Waiting to see what's left after the sandstorm.*

*hoping we will someday be able to thank whoever it is that fought our battle, regardless of it's conclusion. Stand tall warriors whoever you are.*

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:17 PM   #20
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Amen Jewels

...Thank the Lords we have you on our team Jewels...!!!

Without you and Muffit talking sense into us testosteron laddened members of the Brutish Thug Squadron, there'd be alot of Crispy Neos....
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 09:14 AM   #21
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

LSF:

Two brain built you a place for your testosterone to, um, have space to expel it's energy.... Use it!

The Neos are just "wet behind the ears" pups. Take your anger out where it's really due, Oh, I'm taking to the "alternative" theme composer--my bad! You already were!

I loved your "post turtle" story on scifi. Laughed, Oh, I laughed.....

I think we need to take Ron Snipe Hunting. What do you all think?
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:47 AM   #22
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

I voted.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote