Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1
Sarika
Strike Leader

Default The Andromeda Strain

I just watched this movie last night...and boy! What an adrenalin rush that was!! Whoah!

It intrigued me from the start and I just had to finish it to see what happens in the end, and it was a great story, but hang on to your pants, if you haven't seen it, it gets pretty extreme! Man that was one hell of a bad ass day!

Anyone else seen this?

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: The Andromeda Strain

Sarika -

Which version did you watch? Was it the original 70's silver screen film, or was it the more recent remake miniseries for TV?

I've seen both, but I prefer the original. I like part of the miniseries version, but there were parts of the story that differed from the novel and earlier film version that I felt were distracting.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
gmd3d
Major

I prefer the orignal film too.. (never seen the miniseries)

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM   #4
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

I also prefer the original "The Andromeda Strain" (1971) version. I did a book report on the book version in my Senior year of High School...my god that seems like such a long time ago... anyhoo. Very gripping story indeed. Quite enjoyed both the book and the movie.

I saw the 2008 miniseries, not really sure if I liked it. Had some good things in the story. It did depart from the original book and movie a bit though. Was a bit too long and drawn out for my taste.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Sarika
Strike Leader

I watched the 2008 version.
Obvioulsy, I had no idea this was based upon a book and older movie......sorry...

Having not seen or read either original versions, I don't have anything to compare with, so I enjoyed the 2008 movie.

Yes, Steve, I thought too it could have been shortened in places where it was drawn out...oh well.

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Athene
Galactica's Princess

I prefer the original film too. Never saw the mini series either.
I was wondering if the mini series is available on DVD.
Anyone know?

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #7
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I prefer the original film too. Never saw the mini series either.
I was wondering if the mini series is available on DVD.
Anyone know?
Both the original film and the miniseries are available on DVD. The DVD for the miniseries was available almost immediately after the initial broadcast.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #8
LZaza
Warrior

Coincidentally, I watched the miniseries over the last couple nights. I thought it was well done, and obviously must have been updated from the original. Great action and interweaving of plotlines. A great ride!

However, some of the character development/history was so sketchy, it might as well have been just left out. I'm guessing it was a more crucial part of the book, that was only touched upon in the series. And I was a little confused as to why Dr. Chou died at the bottom of a conduit in a pool of mysterious liquid. After all, he climbed down there and then--for some unknown reason--jumped into the vat. He could have just as easily grabbed Keane and hauled him over to do the anticipated deed. Also, I though Benjamin Bratt was miscast for the lead. I thought a scientist that was so widely respected to head up this team would have been a little more believable as someone older. I just couldn't identify with his character.
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM   #9
astropirit
Shuttle Pilot

one thing i didnt like abot this movie was that by the end they didnt even care about the virus lol. i mean in the begining it was dangourous and all by the end it was treated like the flu. <_<
astropirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
Both the original film and the miniseries are available on DVD. The DVD for the miniseries was available almost immediately after the initial broadcast.

Bryan
Thanks very much for that information.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote