Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 8th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #1
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Default Salvage

One of the things that bothered me about TOS, and may potentially bother me about any future series, was the seemingly endless supply of Vipers. It seemed that the losses incurred would have required major manufacturing facilities to replace. Since they were on the run, that simply wasn't the case.

Simply put, they are gonna have to salvage "destroyed" machines whenever possible. Having spent a lot of time in the BattleTech universe where salvage is critical may color my judgement, but hear me out.

Even if the ship was blown in half, the engines may still be operable. Same with the avionics and weapons systems. A ship that loses it's canopy and is still intact is a prime candidate for salvage.

My point is that a group on the run that cannot manufacture replacements is gonna have to recover what they can when they can or they might as well surrender, because defeat would be inevitable.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Richard looked at that in his books (probably some fanfics do too): He had at least one foundary/viper manufacturing ship and described post battle salvage and rescue of pilots in disabled vipers, as well as salvage of ships that just plain wore out over the trip or were damaged beyond usability as a conveyance--so the scrap was utilized for new vipers and ship repairs for the rest of the fleet.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #3
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Richard looked at that in his books (probably some fanfics do too): He had at least one foundary/viper manufacturing ship and described post battle salvage and rescue of pilots in disabled vipers, as well as salvage of ships that just plain wore out over the trip or were damaged beyond usability as a conveyance--so the scrap was utilized for new vipers and ship repairs for the rest of the fleet.
Now if someone would write that into a script...
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #4
ViperTech

I believe that in the novelizations of some of the episodes, overseen by Glen Larson and written back in '78-9, new Viper construction was indeed done on one of the ships in the ragtag fleet.
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammerdriver
Now if someone would write that into a script...

Excellent POINT Warhammerdriver
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote