Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old September 23rd, 2005, 04:27 PM   #1
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Default Why didnt they....

With TOS Galactica finding all these human civilizations along the way, and really no aliens other than the bug people, why did they just ignore them? I realize Im blond, but it does occure to me that the cylons just handed them their hineys on a platter. Now if they lost their homes, why would they think for a moment that these backwards planets they are passing are gonna be safe from the same military force that just said "we wish to cause you some mild amount of death and pain"? Wouldnt someone as moral and idealistic as Apollo or Adama be wanting to warn these people, oh by the way you lot might want to consider getting a flat in some other part of the solar system, theres a rather rude bunch comming who might use harsh language and bad manners.
Obviously Im being sarcastic here, but after all, isnt the series about saving the human race? If the EA and the Coalition had ships, then it was the Galacticas duty to try to get them to prepare for the cylons. IF they found small groups, a few hundred, or so people, they should have gathered them up and took them, not just left them behind, the cylond surely wouldnt just ignore them. I dunno, it just seemed to me that there should be some explaination why they just passed so many places where the rag tag fleet could have gotten some fresh air and maybe left a few survivors on all these planets they passed with no regard for the humans on them.

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:34 PM   #2
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Hey Tabbi, you ask a question we have heard many times before. To be sure it could have been handled better but the issue was addressed in TOS.

In The Lost Warrior one gets the impression that Equellus is way off the beaten path. A small planet long forgotten, the Cylons don’t even know that Tom Zarrick landed there. He was basically in and out quietly.

Gun on Ice Planet Zero, Dr. Ravishol declines the offer saying he can protect his clones because he still has tricks up his sleave.

The Long Patrol, the humans of the long forgotten penal colony where brought on onboard the ships of the fleet. The dinner scene at the end indicates at least some decided to leave.

The awful and probable never worth watching past Starbuck’s capture The Young Lords has a scene where the humans are invited to join the Rag-Tag Fleet. Instead these hearty souls decided to ride out Hurricane: Cylon. These people are obvious idiot descendants of the folks on the agro-community Serenity from the episode The Magnificent Warriors who also appear to want to ride out Hurricane: Cylon.

By the time the series reaches the Terra arc the Cylons appeared to have been safely ditched by the Colonials, the civilization of the Terra arc also appear to have a chance to defend them selves.

So the Rag-Tag did have concern for the worlds they past by...now it's Friday night and I have yard work to do.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:55 AM   #3
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
In The Lost Warrior one gets the impression that Equellus is way off the beaten path. A small planet long forgotten, the Cylons don’t even know that Tom Zarrick landed there. He was basically in and out quietly.
Not picking on you Sept17th, but this has to be my favourite mental moment of the month ! Tom Zarek in TOS ???

ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 04:12 AM   #4
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Just a little sarcasm thrown Hatch's way.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #5
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Tabbi,

Good questions.

I agree with Sept17th's analysis. As luck would have it for folks on most of those planets, they were too far off the beaten track, too primitive in technology, and too few in number (at least with what we saw on TV), to provide any interest to the Cylons as far as occupying the planets. The Cylons wanted to concentrate their resources on finding the Galactica and the RTF.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 05:51 AM   #6
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Yeah, but the "too far off the beaten path" excuse does not justify the fact that the Cylons are after the Colonials and if the Colonials are off the beaten path, then the Cylons would be too!!!

OK, so there are some holes in the series, but mostly, they did ASK these people to come with them, far be it from Adama to force them if they really didn't want to...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #7
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

Not that they could take everyone anyway. I'd think their ships were kind of full with the original refugees packed in there.

I also thought that the humans on Equellas and Serenity being back a few millenia might not be detected by the Cylons because of a certain crystal spired ship(s) protecting them as they can't fight off the Cylons like the Colonials could.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote