Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #1
Dayton3
Shuttle Pilot

Default Galactica-Internal Continuity Changes

I've noticed more than one instance where Battlestar:Galacticas internal history changed within the first season.

For example-the destruction of Caprica-Adamas home.

In the pilot, all the colonies were wiped out in a single massive attack.

Yet,

In "The Living Legend" when facing the fighters of three baseships Adama tells Commander Cain, "they didn't have much more than three basestars when they wiped out our whole fleet at Caprica".

We KNOW this refers to the destruction of Caprica rather than an earlier battle since just seconds earlier Adama says something to the effect "thats more ships than I've seen since the destruction of Caprica".

And in the Season finale "The Hand of God". Starbuck says after being informed that the Viper pilots will be outnumbered two to one, "Thats no worse than the odds we had at Caprica". to which Boomer replies "We lost Caprica".

These two exchanges in two of the highest regarded episodes gives the idea that the destruction of Caprica was a hard fought battle with the planet defended by a large fleet of ships rather than a bolt from the blue ambush.

Whats the deal?
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #2
AlphaAce

I don't know, although they could just be lumping the big battle that wiped out the fleet and the rest of the colonies with the destruction of Caprica.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #3
Bijou88

I always thought that it was interesting that the characters on the show were very Caprica-centric. All the main characters (except Cassiopea) were Capricans. It could be that Caprica was the largest and most technologically advanced colony. The other colonies were smaller outposts or not as influential. It could also be that a large part of the colonial fleet was based at Caprica. If same thing were to theoretically happen to the U.S. Fleet, It would be like saying "they didn't use more than three baseships when they wiped out the fleet at Norfolk."
Old November 10th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I always thought the peace conference @ Cimtar had to be fairly close to Caprica in some ways: Adama wanting to go down to the surface immediately after watching it get wiped out on the civilian transmissions. It would make sense for the raiders that destroyed the fleet to have been "dropped off" with their tankers near the old moon at Cimtar (think like our in air fighter and bomber refueling) and the basestars to go on into the settled colonies with a still substantial force of raiders to handle their attack.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #5
Dayton3
Shuttle Pilot

It always made sense that most of the characters would be Capricans in the series given that Adama returned to Caprica first and devised is "flight across the stars" strategy there.

With the Capricans being first to hear Adamas plan and the Galactica being overhead, it makes sense that more of them would be saved than on other colonies.
Old November 10th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

I am pretty sure the several references to Caprica being wiped out by the 3 basestars is meant to be a group reference to the surprise attack in the pilot, both of the fleet and eventually the planet itself. It's just a convenient way of labeling the incident, imho.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2003, 07:45 AM   #7
Westy
Warrior

Default The mistake is naming it the Battle of Caprica

If they had said Battle of Cimtar it would have been better. It's probably a writters mistake. To my knowledge, Sagitara was the most heavily defended colony (i.e. space and land based defenses), which explains why Adama asked "What about Sagitara?"
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:47 PM   #8
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Quote:
Originally posted by Bijou88
I always thought that it was interesting that the characters on the show were very Caprica-centric. All the main characters (except Cassiopea) were Capricans.
I got from watching the series that Galactica was Caprica's Battlestar and that at one time or another every colony had a battlestar. *can of worms opening*
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:13 AM   #9
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Phhhtt!!!

There goes the can of worms!!!!

The idea that there were 12 Battlestars (one for each colony) came from the Battlestar Encyclopaedia published early in 1979. Author Bruce Kraus says in the listing for Battlestar there were 12, one for each planet. Where he got that, I have no idea...

is there any other source for this info?

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #10
repcisg
Bad Email Address

He made it up because it sounded good. Larson and the production company never said how many there were.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #11
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Remember guys, this was done in the days before vcrs. When a show aired, you wouldn't see all the flaws that come out when you watch an episode over and over. Or compare them.

You saw an episode once, than maybe again two months later.

Shows back then were not made to be repackaged in syndication. If they made money in reruns-great, but nothing was planned for repeat viewings.

So attention to precision was not necesary back then.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 06:57 AM   #12
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default VCRs...

Actually, the home consumer market model of Sony's Betamax VCR was released in 1976 with JVC's VHS model released the following year in 1977.

In fact, we had one of those big desktop models and for several years afterward, I had the VCR home tape of the original airing of Saga of a Star World!!!!!

A few years later, in a fit of desperation, my mom took my VHS and taped a soap opera over it!!!!! Boy what would I give to have that tape back...

Talk about being mad!!!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2003, 07:19 AM   #13
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

A friend of mine had a VCR back then and taped the original 3 hour premiere for me. Now that I have a crisp, clear DVD copy, that 25 year old tape has now been retired!
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote