Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 15th, 2004, 11:37 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

bone Martin Landau at his incredible best...

If you haven't had a chance to see it yet, you really oughta pick up a rental copy of Ed Wood, by Tim Burton. The star really isn't Johnny Depp (although he is great, just like Pirates of the Caribbean). The true shining performance is Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi. If you're anything like me, you will get TINGLES. This man outdoes himself in a performance that would've gotten people on their feet if it were on stage.

The show itself is surprisingly interesting though of course mundane (no shiny idols or blazing cannons). Just good old fashioned good script writing and, of course, Mr. Landau's awesome performance.

P.S. Mr. Landau is also stunning in The Majestic when he first meets what he thinks is his long lost son (Jim Carrey). With just 3 words he''ll practically have you in tears. Amazing man.
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 11:39 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

The DVD is coming in a few weeks too, BTW. If you have any doubts, just read the rave reviews at Amazon below:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:22 AM   #3
koenigrules
Warrior

Default Landau Is The Man

I loved Landau since Space: 1999 hence my handle.
Thanks for the info.
koenigrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:45 AM   #4
Bijou88

Mr. Landau richly deserved the best supporting actor Oscar for his portrayal of Mr. Lugosi. He really captured the spirit and the tragedy of the man. The award was well earned. I also liked him on Space: 1999. Some people have said that he was wooden as Commander Koenig. I feel he showed the burden of command in an emergency situation. His underlying humanity also came through in episodes like "The Black Sun." Mr. Landau is a great actor who has been doing great work for years.
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #5
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Koenig and Bijou! Thanks for replying! I never got to see Space 1999, bet it was great. I think he was also in Mission Impossible, no?

Old January 16th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Guess What.

Martin Landau has had more success as a senior citizen than in his youth. And they say that no one will watch a movie with old folks??? Space Cowboys was dominated by seniors and was a smash hit. Why not bring back Richard and the rest for a BG reunion? They are talking Star Wars episodes 7-9 with Mark Hamil who is still signed to his contract. I bet it would be a hit.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Kingfish! And you are absolutely right. Hollywood has the wierd idea that, once you hit 50, you are useless as a character actor much like a model. Au contraire! That's when actors/actresses really begin to find themselves and truly shine. There are /so/ many examples of older folks doing stunning jobs and winning Academy Awards. The young ones just don't seem believable in their parts, and especially when they are unknown that makes many pictures fail.

I think Hollywood is just a reflection of today's society. If you are either too young or too old, they think nobody cares about you, just shuffle them off to an old folks' home and forget about them. We need to return to the world where age was associated with wisdom and tremendous respect was afforded our elderly. The spark is still there, I see it in people's eyes sometimes when they watch a brilliant performance by an older actor/actress. We just need to bellows the oxygen of understanding onto that spark and let it flame to life.

P.S. You are right about Star Wars too - people would flock in hordes to see the originals reprise their roles...
Old January 16th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #8
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Default From THEFORCE.NET

Muffit,

Your wish is my command....

Ken

"EP3: Mahyew Also Signed for Sequel Trilogy?
Wed, Jan 14, 04 05:10:30 PM EST

Rob tells us that the December 2003 issue of the British movie mag HOTDOG has just hit the stands here in the U.S. and found several cool Star Wars related things. In particular, on page 12, here's this possibly amazing passage:
"No wonder Peter "Chewbacca" Mayhew is smiling. Not only has he been rescued from obscurity and given the chance to reprise his role as our Wookiee comrade for Episode III, but his contract also stipulates that he'd be required to appear in Episodes 7, 8, and 9.
Yes folks, seems there are actual whispers at Lucasfilm that the 'sequel' trilogy might be in the works..."

In addition, there's a cool spoiler page (though nothing new for TheForce.net regulars) with a great caricature of Hayden as Anakin/Vader. The cover "story" is a list of the "50 Coolest Movie Characters Ever". #22 is Boba Fett, #13 is Indiana Jones, and #3 is Darth Vader! There's also a "Brief History of Time" according to the movies. It begins with "A Long Time Ago".

Please. Be. True. Of course, remember that the official word from Lucasfilm has been and is currently "no." We'll email them for a comment on the story and post any updates here."
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #9
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks Raymar! This is really exciting!!!
Old January 16th, 2004, 09:56 PM   #10
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

"Ed Wood" update -- it's on in 5 minutes on cable on True Stories West... sorry for the late notice...

Old March 7th, 2004, 07:47 AM   #11
braxiss
Major

ed wood is one of my favorite movies,

my wife just rolls her eyes whenever i watch it. but the cast just has a way of sucking you in to the show, and it keeps your mind working. i just love it

Old March 7th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #12
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Braxiss! Glad you like it too!
Old March 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #13
Ian_W359
Warrior

I ought to buy 'Ed Wood' when I see it on DVD, it's a lovely film, with a great cast. I actually saw 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' some years ago, and it's not really as bad as it appears - 'Ed Wood' was a perfect tribute to a film-maker who refused to give up on his artistic vision.

All the best,
Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #14
bsg1fan1975
Major

His daughter played a vampire named Drusilla, who was a bit off her rocker in the Buffy tv series. She was very effective in that role as she creeped me out!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote