Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #1
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
SciFiPulse.net

Default New Dr Who Series Info

The producer of the new BBC Dr Who series gives some insight into his plans for the series, which is looking for a 2005 launch. Also the Dr's new assistant named.

http://scifipulse.net/editorials/Dr_Who_2005.html

Yes I know it is a shameless plug but I am the one that has to live with it.
BSG_Sci_FiPulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #2
koenigrules
Warrior

Default Sounds Great

I loved this even more than Space: 1999 (also a favorite of mine- hence my handle)!
I am looking forward to the return of this show.
In another article the BBC said they would do the show in the vein of Sapphire & Steele. I have the complete DVD set (you can order it at ccvideo.com) and have gone through two-thirds of the series.
While low budget, I love Joanna Lumley & David McCallum in the roles!
You might want to check out this series in anticipation of the new Who.
Be seeing you.
koenigrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #3
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

SciFiPulse.net

I seen Saphire and Steel during it's first run on ITV. It wasn't my cuppa tea. So I for one hope that it is more like an more modern Dr Who, and not Saphire and Steel. It would be a mistake for them to immitate the style of Saphire and Steel which was somewhat aloof if the truth be known.

Old January 14th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I think ANthony Stewart Head would be the best choice for
the character of Dr. Who.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #5
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

SciFiPulse.net

No I would vote Richard E. Grant. Half the problem was with the last Dr Who which was made by Amblin was Paul McGann, he was too conventionally good looking. Anthony Head is kind of too good looking for the role. The Best Dr's were the ones that were sort of average looking but had a sort of mysterious look about them. Richard E. Grant has that look and the right degree of Intensity for the role. Head has a certain look, but lacks the correct amount of intensity.

By Tradition the Dr was always portrayed by a character actor.

Hartnell was the crotchety old proffesser type DR
Troughton was the Dr who could be both a clown but again seemed to get agitated rather easily kind of thing.

Jon Pertwee was sort of your dashing hero type, but if you look at him he seemed to come across as a bit cadish in an eccentric type of way, meaning that the Dr Who of Pertwee's era was more pertwee than the DR.

Baker was the mysterious Dr who and kind of manic to boot, just look at bakers eyes, and you will know what I mean.

Davidson to this day, I put down as a mistake.

Colin Baker yet another actor.

Sylvester McCoy we kind of got back on Track with him.

See my point is, the Actor who plays the Dr has to be as big as the role he is playing. Davidson to me was never an acceptable choice because he was too well known by television viewers as the foppish Triston from 'All Creatures Great and Small'

Colin Baker was another actor who become the DR.

The actor who becomes the Dr has to be the DR, as in he has to embodie everything the DR should be off camera as well as on. An actor like Head is too much of your actors actor. It takes more of a character actor to do Dr Who, For example Alan Rickman would be a good choice because he plays stuff larger than life, the best Dr Whos have always been more melo dramatic and very animated. It just would not work for me if it were someone who plays stuff like Anthoney Head, sure he is a good actor, but he cannot do melo drama to save his life. That was what made Dr Who so British, the Dr embodied those eccentricities that we are renowned for. Head has become to Buffyfied pardon the pun.

Old January 15th, 2004, 04:14 AM   #6
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

Wouldn't Rickman's doctor come across as slightly evil, if he played him? I know he can play lots of good parts but he has this intense evilness about him most of the time. He can really do evil in a good way...
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 05:19 AM   #7
BSG_Sci_FiPulse
Warrior

SciFiPulse.net

Tom Baker had a much similar sort of intensety. Thats the thing you see, The Dr was always more of an ambigious character, he was never purely black and white. Baker could have portrayed it either evil of holier than thow goody too shoes.

As for Rickman, well yes he does turnout a good villain, and due to the fact that most people have only ever seen him play the villain, thats all they would expect from him. However if you seen him in Galaxy Quest portraying the disgruntled actor, that is the sort of think I would look for with The DR.

Old January 15th, 2004, 06:36 AM   #8
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

Oh I remember that one... yeah, he's actually a good all-round actor who really gets in to his roles... I wonder if his Doctor would also be a bit disgruntled with things. How many regenerations is he away from that whatsit anyway? The bit where time lords become evil, if I remember right... it's a long time since I really had anything to do with Dr Who, but I seem to remember that's what happens.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote