Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #61
gmd3d
Major

yeah Star Trek were the first books I ever read, Strangers From the Sky is in the top 5 Star Trek books I have read. I never read a book before I was 15 being dislexic it was always a problem I am 34 now and there is always a book near me (I admit it I am a book - aholic). second book was 2001 A Space Odyssey and the da da The Lord of the Rings took me 6 months and have read it 12 times since then.
But if you have not read Strangers from the Sky give it a go .
all the best

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #62
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I've read all the TOS novels up to about 2001. I sort of lost track after that due to moving, real life, etc. I own all of them and have read several of them quite a few times (all of the good Spock ones). Strangers from the Sky was a fave, as was Uhura's Song (big a$$ cats with prehensile tails is such a great concept how could I not like it!). Black Fire was also fun.... Spock as a pirate, who could resist?

It took me almost twenty years to read Tolkien. I started to read the first book when I was ten and gave up in boredom. I spent many years wondering what the heck everyone saw in him. Then about three years ago I decided to give the books another try (I wanted to see the movies, as they looked really interesting). Well, no one had ever told me that the first part of the first book is the only boring section and that after the backstroy is set up the series deserves all the commendations! I thoroughly enjoyed the books and was very happy with the movies (I even own the extended DVD version of the Two Towers and have watched it with and without commentary.).

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #63
gmd3d
Major

I have not read many Star trek books myself over the last 2 years I thing the the market has been swamped with star trek books so I give them a break and after looking through some stored books a found BSG book and I was hooked.
I loved Uhura's Song as it was great to see a character we normaly don't see
have their own story I will have to look at that one again.
The Lord of the Rings is my all time fav book it has so much in it each time I read it there is something new, my fav character is Sam, so much devotion to Frodo
sam for me is the real strength in LOTR.

regards potemkin

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #64
Bombadil

My wife just bought E.E. Smith's Skylark of Space set because it is one of my all-time favorite works, I lost my last set somewhere, and she wants to get to know me better by reading some more of my favorite stuff. (28 years of marriage and she's still working on fun stuff like that! Gotta love her!)

Anyway, the point is that the introduction explains that Smith had a collaborator, a Ms. Lee Hawkins Garby (but women didn't call themselves "Ms." back then, of course) to help him get the romance sections right. Apparently "Doc" figured that, since he was a man, he was inherently unqualified to write romantic vignettes properly so he got, of course, a woman to help him out.

Just thought I'd pass that factoid along.
Old June 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #65
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I still intend to check that series out, but I'm working on the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan right now. I started Book Four last night at 9PM just before the power went out and had to get my oil lantern out so I could continue reading for another 2 hours. I am enjoying it and I really only started reading it because it was one of the few "big" (in number of words and in name) series I hadn't read. A pleasant surprise, although sometimes the story gets bogged down a little. And he is fairly good at portraying strong female characters. Actually, the primary male characters all seem to recognize their place in the scheme of things (ie: the women run the show).

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old June 10th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #66
Rowan
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
And he is fairly good at portraying strong female characters. Actually, the primary male characters all seem to recognize their place in the scheme of things (ie: the women run the show).
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:22 AM   #67
Laura

I am really enjoying Skylark of Space . I absolutely love it. I can hardly put it down. One of the things I like best is how Smith portrays the leading female character as a real lady. She is wholesome in every way. This makes her very attractive to her man. She is so understanding when he ignores her for a week. (right after they got engaged) He explains that he has just made a new scientific discovery and she is perfectly all right with his explanation. She is so supportive of her man. Which makes her all the more endearing to him. If only more women today could understand how happy they would be if they acted this way.
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #68
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura
If only more women today could understand how happy they would be if they acted this way.
Ummmm... only if the man acts the same. What's good for the goose is just as good for the gander, IMHO. And ignoring me for a week? Hmmmmmm.....

Old June 17th, 2004, 10:29 AM   #69
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
Ummmm... only if the man acts the same. What's good for the goose is just as good for the gander, IMHO. And ignoring me for a week? Hmmmmmm.....
Uno,
Yes, I guess I was assuming that the man was a "good guy" obviously a stinker would be a different story. I just believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt.