Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old November 4th, 2004, 06:41 PM   #61
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I think your views give credence to the rest of the world's notion that America is acting hypocritically.

It is not a side show, and frankly, trying to paint opposing views as such exposes your argument as weak.

America does not get everything right, and prohibition is a clear case of that, right along with slavery and universal sufferage.

The notion that one US candidate would have to have a different issue on the cannabis issue to justify fear of US meddling in terms of that issue is not a rational statment. While both candidates may be too cowardly to suggest change here, one of them might see that if Canada wants to take the same approach Alaska has regarding cannabis use, then we should not intervene.
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #62
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"The notion that one US candidate would have to have a different issue on the cannabis issue to justify fear of US meddling in terms of that issue is not a rational statment. "

Oh yes it is when that issue is being used to justify one's characterization of the outcome of the election, which is the point you're missing.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 06:54 PM   #63
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Ok guys, enough on the "pot" issue!

Can we at least agree that if Canada is considering the decriminalization of marijuana and does pass such a law, that it would be necessary to coordinate cross-border issues, with respect to marijuana, with the US? In other words, "importing/exporting", i.e., not having it with you as you enter Canada and leaving it behind when you leave Canada.

Bottom line, as it now stands, possession, cultivation, and consumption of marijuana is illegal in the United States and Canada.

Would you both agree that we have, at least, a bit of common ground?
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #64
Ian_W359
Warrior

Question

Erm.... changing the subject....

Given the 'reaction' of the of some of the British newspapers to Bush's victory, what do you think the US media interest in Tony Blair's attempt for a third term as Prime Minister (sometime early next year) will be?

Ian W359
Ian_W359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:53 PM   #65
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

What happened to Duncan?
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #66
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_W359
Given the 'reaction' of the of some of the British newspapers to Bush's victory, what do you think the US media interest in Tony Blair's attempt for a third term as Prime Minister (sometime early next year) will be?
The media will probably follow political ideology -- I doubt very much that they would cross party lines.

Casting politics aside for a moment:

In my own personal opinion, Tony Blair is a man of honor who stands behind and alongside his friends and allies, in their time of need. Mr. Blair has my respect and thanks, for all that he's done, for the US.

I would like to think that a very healthy percentage of Americans view him in the same light, regardless of political persuasion.

Thanks for asking this question, Ian. I appreciate the opportunity to give my POV.

Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 4th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #67
braxiss
Major

remember that we're suppose to all be freinds here, so if at all possible can we keep the blood shed to a minimum in here?
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #68
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:

Ian W359
Ian -

Tony Blair - a third term? Now there's a man I would love to vote for!

Cheers,

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #69
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss
remember that we're suppose to all be freinds here, so if at all possible can we keep the blood shed to a minimum in here?
Well, I don't know.....those 3 beady-eyed pumpkins staring at me, look like they're up to no good!

Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 4th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #70
braxiss
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
Well, I don't know.....those 3 beady-eyed pumpkins staring at me, look like they're up to no good!

lol

i'll be good i promise
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:14 PM   #71
Bijou88

Quote:

Ian W359

Given the ultra right wing shift in U.S. politics, Americans don't care what foreigners in other parts of the world are up to. If it doesn't involve Americans, it don't matter. We just care about our own interests and to heck with everyone else.
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #72
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:

Ian W359
Ian, since Mr. Blair has stood with Mr. Bush on Iraq and our news media is opposed to the whole Iraq thing I would guess that there will be subtle and not so subtle rooting for Mr. Blair's opponent(s) in our media's coverage. I think he's been a good statesmen for you and kept the UK in the place in world politics it belongs (not overshadowed by the EU, like most of Europe and not mamby-pamby like the French). I doubt he will be treated well by our media. I think he deserves the honor of a trusted friend and foxhole mate. I think he was my country's best friend in some of our darkest-to-date days and I can only wish him well and your country well with those elections. If I'm correct, I hope our media has as much influence on your country's or parliment's vote as those Guardian folks had on my former state--none.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #73
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88
Given the ultra right wing shift in U.S. politics, Americans don't care what foreigners in other parts of the world are up to. If it doesn't involve Americans, it don't matter. We just care about our own interests and to heck with everyone else.

Hmm, didn't take too long for my point to be proven.
Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 4th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #74
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

I saw an interesting map in today's paper about the election. The states were not colored red/bush blue/kerry. Each individual county was colored red or blue. There was a lot of red on that map and very little blue. Even in states that Kerry won. By the looks of that map Kerry won in the large cities (NYC, LA, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and so on) but Bush won almost everything else.
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #75
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Ian W359
The liberal US media's hatred for George W. Bush will make them hope that Blair loses so they can spin it as a big story (as opposed to their total silence on the recent election in Australia). If Blair wins, I expect it to be downplayed, which is ironic because since Blair's Labour party credentials in the past made him a favorite of American liberals who despised Margaret Thatcher and the Conservatives for the same reason of supporting U.S. foreign policy in the Reagan years.

The ideal dream scenario for the US media elite is to see Blair ousted as Labour party leader so Labour stays in power with an anti-US posture in foreign policy.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #76
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhammerdriver
I saw an interesting map in today's paper about the election. The states were not colored red/bush blue/kerry. Each individual county was colored red or blue. There was a lot of red on that map and very little blue. Even in states that Kerry won. By the looks of that map Kerry won in the large cities (NYC, LA, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and so on) but Bush won almost everything else.
WHD,

Considering your above post and the sidebar about Tony Blair and the US media handling of his re-election bid, etc., check the map again: Kerry won in the states containing the "major" media centers of the US - NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philly, DC, etc, but like you said, Bush won everywhere else. Interesting, eh?
Sleep now
They are calling

Old November 4th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #77
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

[/quote]