Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

View Poll Results: Should Carter be promoted to Lt. Colonel?
Yes 11 100.00%
No 0 0%
Who's Carter? 0 0%
No, she should be demoted 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 22nd, 2004, 11:03 AM   #1
Tibbetts
Warrior

Default Should Major Carter be promoted.....

What do you think? Should Carter finally be promoted to Lt. Colonel?

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Cool

I vote yes, I think she deserves it. After all she had worked very hard.
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:36 PM   #3
warhammerdriver
Bad Email Address

If not a complete promotion, she should at least get a line for Lt. Col. and be informed of that by Gen. Hammond. (Getting a line for a new rank is basically being informed that you are being promoted, but the paperwork hasn't cleared all the hurdles yet)

I also think Hammond should get another star (3 star from 2 star)
warhammerdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:20 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

If she doesn't get it, can you imagine what you must have to do in order to get promoted on that show?!?!?

I would think saving the planet a dozen times over would be pretty hard to beat on a resume.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:56 AM   #5
Tibbetts
Warrior

I agree, Hammond should also get another Star. He deserves it.

Sam Carter is now in command of SG-1, i'd think that team needs atleast a Lt. Colonel.

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:42 AM   #6
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

I can't remember what year Carter was promoted, but I believe that she has enough time in rank to be eligible for promotion (late 1999 is the latest she could have been promoted to make her eligible). Not sure about her time in service though (two VERY important qualifiers for promotion in the military). After that, she would have to go before the promotion board. Or, it being TV, they could just wave their magic wand and say, "Abracadabra, alashazam, you're a light colonel now, ma'am."

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:11 PM   #7
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Sam got promoted to Major in "Fair Game", episode #303, back in 07/09/99. So I guess under the criteria unowhoandwhy posted, she would now be eligible for promotion to LT. Colonel.

BTW, OT, but has anyone noticed the writers have made Sam more "slutty" the past few seasons? Seems she is falling for or flirting with everyone she meets now. Season 7 for instance, Jack, Pete (few fans like him), and Barrett (the NID agent). Anyways, I really don't see Jack and Sam getting together unless one of them leaves the service.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:17 AM   #8
Tibbetts
Warrior

The writers are trying to show that Sam actually has a life outside of the SGC. I think they've done a hell of a job. I'm not sure if "slutty" would be the word I'd use.

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old March 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #9
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Ah, the double standard. Men with sex lives are "studs" and women with sex lives are "sluts"...

As someone who was a woman in the military (and it was a hard-core combat support unit) I know that fine line that the character of Carter must walk. If you are friendly with men, whether you are sleeping with them or not, then you are a "slut" and if you aren't friendly then you must be a lesbian!

I was generally labeled the former, without any cause, as I was the only woman in a company of over 200 people, so who else was I supposed to be friendly with, the geckos living in my room? Not to say that I was a nun, but... get real people.

I used to have fun with it, though, and ask people, "So, who did I sleep with this week?" and things like that.

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old March 24th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #10
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
Ah, the double standard. Men with sex lives are "studs" and women with sex lives are "sluts"...
I respectfully disagree. When compared to the other characters in SG1, nobody is seen having multiple relationships other than Sam (season 7). It isn't like one BF died then another one comes into the picture as in past seasons. My "slutty" comment was directed towards the writers of the series for making Sam seem that way. There's no double standard, SG1 fans would complain if Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, or Jonas went on a multiple partner spree too.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #11
emerita
Bad Email Address

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

yeah, I know I'm a little late, but well, I'm always late these days....lol..... How will she be addressed now? Major Carter rolled off the tongue...Now it is such a mouth full...especially for Teal'c...He always called her by her title....... maybe he'll just go to Sam now.....
emerita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 10:27 AM   #12
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lord
The writers are trying to show that Sam actually has a life outside of the SGC. I think they've done a hell of a job. I'm not sure if "slutty" would be the word I'd use.

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
I would have to agree - While Sam's had a few romantic "close calls", intimating, or developing the character further by giving her a boyfriend doesn't necessarily make her out to be a "slut", more like "well rounded". That is one of the things about SG-1 that I did like - their primary female characters (Sam, Janet Fraser) didn't fall into the trap of what I call the "babe factor". Characters like Deanna Troi, Seven of Nine, T'Pol, etc... even if they do make them intelligent - making them wear skin tight costumes makes them more "babe-ish". No matter how much of the male audience it appeals to, it isn't very respectful to the genre, nor to the portrayal of women in general.

From what I saw of the new character of Tayla in Atlantis, she seems to me to be more of a cross between Trek's T'pol and Xena the Warrior Princess. I think that I'm more drawn to the more realistically portrayed character of Dr. Elizabeth Weir - but that's just my taste in general.

Best regards,
Bryan
________
LovelyWendie99
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #13
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I think the writers are merely trying to make up for their guilt of killing off every OTHER boyfriend Sam had.

If you were a homicide detective and heard how her past boyfriends all died...wouldn't you think Sam was some kind of serial killer?

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #14
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerita
yeah, I know I'm a little late, but well, I'm always late these days....lol..... How will she be addressed now? Major Carter rolled off the tongue...Now it is such a mouth full...especially for Teal'c...He always called her by her title....... maybe he'll just go to Sam now.....
Teal'c will probably say "Lieutenant Colonel Samantha Carter" at his most formal, but it is perfectly OK (although not in formal occasions) to address a Lieutenant Colonel as "Colonel", just as you can say "General" instead of "Brigadier General" "Major General" etc.

Hooray for Sam, though, and maybe the new Teal'c will be relaxed enough to say "Sam", only time will tell.