Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old November 1st, 2004, 04:23 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up A belated review of FIREFLY..the pilot

I realize this is belated, but I thought I would offer up a personal review of Firefly (the pilot episode), which I have the pleasure of watching thanks to a certain someone, who shall remain nameless for the sake of protection.

To be succinct, Firefly is a pretty interesting take on Final Fantasy (the videogames, not the lackluster movie). Eccelectic group of characters , a mixture of futuristic and archaic tech, tragedy and hope, and a sometimes twisted sense of humor.

Note: I did not say a ripoff of Final Fantasy. Just a really interesting take.

The "no sound in space" deal is kinda ok..but more of a turn off for me. Yes, I know, that's more of the realism, but I am of the Star Trek/Star Wars generation. I prefer the screaming ships, and the blaring lasers (or bullets if you are a BSG TNS fan like myself).

The old West style grit music is pretty cool in places.

However, given that minor drawback...I have to say that Firefly comes across with a very epic feel. Almost big screen. The story is good, and the visual effects are outstanding! The show does have a certain charm. I found a few parts that gave me a good laugh.

Probably the best line from the pilot from Mal:

"You don't know me, son, so I'll expain this to you only once. If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

I have to say, I like a lot of the characters on the show, (Mal is the straight shooter, Kaylee is just too sweet, Jayne is my kind of good guy....the "can I hurt him, boss, please?" type, Zoe is pragmatic and wise, all around the characters are very cool) and it is sad that it was not given a much stronger chance on television. But I can also say this: This show is MUCH TOO BIG for television, and I am glad that a big screen version of Firefly will be hitting theaters soon.

I will say that something the new BSG needs is a little more humor. Firefly does prove that even in the most desperate situations, a lot of fun can be had with the show. (I did not say this to invite snide remarks about the new BSG, just making an honest observation.) Firefly IS what the new BSG CAN BE.

Respectfully,
Martok2112
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #2
dust
TOAN-er

you wait 'til you see the rest of the series. It's incredible and it's a crying shame it had the plug pulled before it got the chance to really take off
dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I am waiting with baited breath.