Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old October 31st, 2006, 03:50 AM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Quickie reviews 002

The latest onslaught of videogame reviews/first impressions by yours truly, Martok2112 (or Lord Martok, whichever you prefer) NOTE: This review is rated T for suggestive themes....so if thine eyes offend thee, click the back button.

VIDEOGAME: SPLINTER CELL: DOUBLE AGENT
DEVELOPER: UBISOFT
PUBLISHER: RED STORM/RAD
SYSTEMS: XBOX 360, PLAYSTATION 2 (XBOX 360 REVIEWED)
RATING: M (MATURE for BLOOD, LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 (2-6 ONLINE/OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER)

Graphics: 4.5/5
Sound: 5/5
Control: 3/5
Story: 5/5
Endorphin Factor: 4/5
Frustration Factor: 2.5/5

Scoring system:
Average: 4 /5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: SPLINTER CELL GAMES SERIES, METAL GEAR SOLID SERIES

DETAILS: Sam Fisher is at it again in this latest adventure, and this time, he's a double agent. A revered hero, and a hunted terrorist. Graphics are servicable, but they look PS2 quality. Sound is spot on, as expected from a Tom Clancy based game. Controls take some getting used to...longer than I'd care for, but not overlong. Michael Ironside lends his familiar voice once again to Sam Fisher. I've only played the first part of the first mission, but it's enough to let me know that this game is highly detailed, very technical, and will deliver a kick ass story of the caliber of a Tom Clancy based movie. Have not tried multiplayer yet, but given the lackluster experience I had with an earlier Splinter Cell title, I am not exactly chomping at the bit to give this one a try as it sounds like much of the same. I would love to see this game in 1080p, however, despite the slightly lesser graphics.

BOTTOM LINE: Fans of this series of games (or even this genre) will not be disappointed....but multiplayer is questionable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEOGAME: MEDAL OF HONOR: HEROES
DEVELOPER: EA GAMES
PUBLISHER: EA GAMES
SYSTEMS: SONY PLAYSTATION PORTABLE (PSP)
RATING: T (TEEN for VIOLENCE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 (Ad-Hoc Multiplayer 2-8), (Infrastructure Multiplayer 2-32)

Graphics: 5 /5
Sound: 5 /5
Control: 4.5 /5
Story: 5 /5
Endorphin Factor: 5 /5
Frustration Factor: 4.5 /5

Scoring system:
Average: 4.8 /5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: MEDAL OF HONOR SERIES ON CONSOLES, STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT 2

DETAILS: Kull wahad. I am profoundly stirred. This game really delivers on the portable that could, the Sony PSP. The graphics are really good for this console title...perhaps a little more on par with a PS1 MOH title as opposed to PS2, but still, they're wonderful. Sounds, ambience, music, voice acting.....splendid. Control is pretty darned good, either, using the analog stick to move forward, backward, and strafe left and right, while the face buttons (X,O,Square, Triangle) handle the lookabout. Reloading, using, healing, weapons switches and crouching are handled on the d-pad. (Similar to Star Wars Battlefront 2's control scheme). Aiming is done with the Left shoulder button, firing with the right (only natural). The missions are relatively short, with way point arrows on the compass guiding you to where your primary and secondary objectives are. (Very un-World War II'ish in technology, but it does help). There are a variety of WW II weapons in this game, and a ton of unlockables, such as uniforms for multiplayer. And online multiplayer is not bad at all. I strolled in, and scored about 5 or 6 kills...then I lost the network. It also seemed like there may have been a few cheaters....but it also could've been a network failing.

BOTTOM LINE: If there is any one first person shooter you MUST get for the PSP....this game is IT!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEOGAME: ACE COMBAT: SKIES OF DECEPTION
DEVELOPER: BANDAI/NAMCO
PUBLISHER: SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT
SYSTEMS: SONY PLAYSTATION PORTABLE (PSP)
RATING: T (TEEN for ALCOHOL REFERENCES, MILD LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 (Ad-Hoc Multiplayer 2-4)

Control: 4/5
Story: 4/5
Endorphin Factor: 5/5
Frustration Factor: 3/5

Scoring system:
Average: 4.25 /5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: ACE COMBAT CONSOLE SERIES ON PS2.

DETAILS: Another nice little title for the nice little system, the Playstation Portable. This game looks and feels very much like its console cousins. Graphics fall somewhere in between PS1 and PS2 (and that's not a bad thing), sounds and combat chatter are good, although some of the characters sound almost "fey". Control is fairly nicely laid out, and I haven't examined all the configurations, but, where I am used to having accelerate/afterburner and brakes on the L2/R2, and the YAW on the L1/R1 buttons of the PS2, it took a little getting used to executing those moves on the PSP's D-pad. Still, the game has that classic Ace Combat feel...and I know once I get used to the configuration, I'll be feeling like I'm back in the pilot's seat again. The controls do lend a little bit to the detracting score of the frustration factor, but not too badly. Have not tried multiplayer, because I haven't found any other locals with PSP's and a copy of this game. I really wish companies would start making more online PSP titles...as it has been proven it can be done. (See my Medal of Honor: Heroes quickie).

BOTTOM LINE: As with the Medal of Honor series, fans of Ace Combat on the PS2 will NOT be disappointed with this powerhouse in a small package.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:51 AM   #2
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Default Quickie reviews 002 continued

VIDEOGAME: PHANTASY STAR UNIVERSE
DEVELOPER: SONIC TEAM
PUBLISHER: SEGA
SYSTEMS: PLAYSTATION 2, PC
RATING: T (TEEN for FANTASY VIOLENCE, MILD LANGUAGE, MILD SUGGESTIVE THEMES)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 (ONLINE MULTIPLAYER, 1-6)

Sound: 4.5/5
Control: 5/5
Story: 5/5
Endorphin Factor: 3/5
Frustration Factor: 5/5

Scoring system:
Average: 4.5 /5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: PHANTASY STAR ONLINE EPISODES I & II

DETAILS: I didn't realize that in some aspects, this game would actually blow away PSO I and II on the Xbox, but it does. Graphically, the game is superior. Controls don't take much getting used to at all. Sounds are nice, and the music is wonderous...and familiar, and there's actually voice acting in this latest title in the series...and it's very not bad. The story seems pretty tight...and there are little satisfactions you get out of chopping critters down with nice little combos with weapons that you can upgrade. (Things do seem a little more complicated this time around as far as advancing your weapons and armor, but I just need to spend more time with the whys and hows of it.) I've gone online with it (you have to pay a monthly fee via credit card....which sucks because it would do better if the company sold prepaid subscription cards.) I haven't joined any online parties yet, but the online experience seems fairly robust. (And you find a lot of interesting player names....Gary Coleman, Chuck Norris, etc. )

BOTTOM LINE: If you like this kind of RPG'ing, then pick this title up. I have a feeling it'll be a hit.

VIDEOGAME: KING OF FIGHTERS 2006
DEVELOPER: SNK PLAYMORE
PUBLISHER: SNK PLAYMORE USA
SYSTEMS: PLAYSTATION 2
RATING: T (TEEN for MILD LANGUAGE, SUGGESTIVE THEMES, VIOLENCE)
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 1 or 2

Graphics: 4/5
Control: 3.5/5
Story: 3.5/5
Endorphin Factor: 3.5 /5
Frustration Factor: 2/5

Scoring system:
Average: 3 /5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: FATAL FURY SERIES, KING OF FIGHTERS SERIES, STREET FIGHTER SERIES, TEKKEN SERIES, DEAD OR ALIVE SERIES

DETAILS: Generally, I am not a fan of the Fatal Fury games, save for one character, the bouyantly bouncy Mai Shiranui. (Get me in a room with her and Chun Li for just five minutes....and I'll come out one very bruised but happy man.) Ahem....er...I digress. I gave this game a try....the controls seem simple and familiar enough (like Street Fighter's), but on a D-pad, the controls just aren't done justice when it comes to the more frenetic fights (thus the high frustration factor which considerably brings this game's overall score down.) I've only used one character...Mai Shiranui. Any victories I've scored are nicely rewarded with her bouncy boobies. (Gee, could that be a major reason the game has a "suggestive themes" descriptor? ) However, as the game progresses in story mode, the controls seem to be really unresponsive as tougher opponents seem to be able to dish out inhuman unbreakable combos. I didn't even go beyond the fourth opponent, I was so frustrated....and I had Mai's moves pretty well down. (booobiieees!) Graphically, this game is a lot nicer than its previous forays into the 3D realm. Sidestepping is sometimes a chore. Sounds are nice...even the voice acting. Boobies are nice too. The game characters can be heard speaking in either English (my preferred language), or the original Japanese. Thing is, I think Mai would sound a helluva lot younger in Japanese than in English, and in English, she sounds pretty fracking young.....but she's got boobies. (And yes, her character is of legal age. LOL!) There are plenty of modes to fight in: Story, VS, Arcade, Practice, and even some mini-party games (which I have yet to try out). I'll delve into this game a little more, but I still have to say (Mai's mamm's notwithstanding), I'll stick with Street Fighter.

BOTTOM LINE: Booooobbiiiieeeeesss....gooooooood!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old November 1st, 2006, 02:34 PM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Out of the box review of Final Fantasy XII coming soon.