Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 30th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #1
jjrakman

Default Olmos camp agrees: BSG "better handled" as continuation

For history of this conversation see my posts "Interesting response from EJ Olmos" and "More conversations with Olmos camp.

Hi Jaeson -

Thanks for building the parallel between "Star Trek" and "Battlestar." I agree it would have been better handled if it had been done along those lines. I don't know, nor will I ever understand, why studios think it's okay to ignore the fan base in any, similar situation. Yours has been the same complaint I have leveled against Disney for many years.

When Disney decided to create "Zorro and Son," they did contact Guy (who was living in Argentina at the time) to reprise his role as Diego/Zorro as a man who had a son he was training to take over his duties as Zorro. My understanding from Guy's son is that his father turned down the part because he didn't like the scripts he was shown. The part of the older Zorro went to Henry Darrow and didn't last longer than five episodes. I love Henry dearly, and he actually has more Zorro connections than any other actor, but often when the fans don't get what they want, the studios pay the price. You would think they'd have figured that out by now, wouldn't you?

I have heard from someone reporting the "insider information" regarding Eddie's stance, and I am attempting to get a clarification and/or verification on it. My understanding, however, is that production is already under way (I may be wrong, so please don't pass this along as fact) in Vancouver. Whether or not Eddie was mislead or given fabrications regarding this series, if he has a signed contract, he will be held to it by the studio, and I'm not sure anything can be done at this point. He honors his obligations, and I'm not sure he would be willing or able to break a contract (with the inevitable lawsuit that would follow) unless the lies and deceptions were so great, they were legally fraudulent. If he was mislead, he may be as much a victim in all this as you and the other fans are.

I will let you know if I can get any direct information that sheds light on all this.
Meanwhile, thank you for all your correspondence and explanations. Now if I should be able to discuss the topic with Eddie directly, I will be better able to explain the nature of the anger and complaint.

Warmest regards,
MaryAnn

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." (Plato)
Edward James Olmos: Official Site
http://hometown.aol.com/mbeve10258/EddieOlmos.html
Edward James Olmos
"After despair, many hopes flourish, just as after darkness, thousands of suns open and start to shine." (Rumi)
Ahmed Shah Massoud:
http://hometown.aol.com/mbeve10258/Massoud.html
Ahmed Shah Massoud
Old March 30th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #2
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Bravo JJ!!!

JJ, You Da' Man!!
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:45 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default Olmos In A Continuation

I had a thought. They could have cast Edward as Adama in a continuation. Why not? they were going to recast Athena in season 2 by saying the character was seriously injured. They could have said that there was a massive Cylon attack on the Galactica and Adama sustained horrific injuries. Just my ramblings.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:47 PM   #4
LucianG
Warrior

Or in the young Adama/Tigh/Cain/Baltar prequel, he could be Adama's father, which in RDM's version, WOULD still make him an Adama! If he contracted to play Adama, he would be doing that with the same basic dialogue, but he just wouldn't be the same Adama he probably had in mind.

Hmmm, let the attorneys mull over that one.

Last edited by LucianG; March 31st, 2003 at 07:50 PM..
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:50 PM   #5
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default Good Point

Lucian!

Good thinking!
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 08:37 PM   #6
jjrakman

Thinking along those lines, he could have played an ancestor in the "House of Adama" in any prequel timeframe.
Old April 1st, 2003, 04:33 AM   #7
LucianG
Warrior

jj,

That's true! Then, we could back this thing up to the early voyages of the Galactica, which would leave RDM less chance of screwing up BG "history" a la Enterprise.

Lucian
LucianG is offline   Reply With Quote